Other The Next Best Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Voting Twinklepuff because this effecively forces most defensive pokemon to struggle against gengar. No, literally have to use struggle.

It's still decent against offense, too because Gengar isnt weak and slow.

I'm pretty sure I've seen every set posted here in old gens.. Taunt/Wow, Choice trick, 4atks, sub disable, sub split.. what's new? Only sets I consider originals are MowTom and SnowCristal's.. I've tried both and I found SnowCristal's working better so my vote is goin to her set. Voting SnowCristal!

SnowCristal, though its close between SC's Nasty Plot and Ash Borer's CounterCoat set. Ash's is more unique and unexpected, but NP is something fearsome if it gets going.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
This round was close, but SnowCristal has won. Anyways, on to our next Pokémon~

Our next subject is the newcomer OU Dragon, Goodra!

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Dragon Tail

Here's an interesting set I saw once, it is actually quite hard to stop for certain teams. Obviously it can't do much when the opponent has a fairy still alive so it is match up dependent if you can't remove/lure them. If setting up is not an option then you can still wall most special attackers as usual and shuffle the opponent around for hazard damage. Semi-reliable recovery makes it more durable then assault vest in the long run as well. In general is a fun set to use and some opponents will have trouble with it in a similar way to Crocune.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

I don't think I've ever seen this used before, but it could be quite effective on paper. Trap something non-threatening, Toxic it, set up a Sub, and proceed to Toxic stall the opposing Pokemon to oblivion. Steels, clerics, and certain Fairies will give this set issues, but that's what the remaining 5 team slots are for. EVs and nature maximize its average physical defense.

Goodra @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 216 HP / 152 Def / 140 SDef
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Counter
- Earthquake

This set is best used with a semi-balanced team focused on stacking hazards. Dragon Tail is necessary to phase mons' to maximize passive damage. Earthquake is a must or otherwise Mega-Mawile and Heatran will wall Goodra. ChestoRest in order to provide Goodra with a much needed way to recover. (You could also change Goodras ability to Hydration and provide rain support for a increased amount of recovery opportunities). The main reason to use counter over a coverage move is to severely cripple one or two of the opponents physical attackers. The 140sdef evs gives Goodra a 371 special defense stat, which is 1 less than a fully invested Mega-Venusaur. 216hp and 152def evs set an ok benchmark that allows Goodra to avoid OHKO's from some of the tiers top physical threats and KO or cripple them with counter. Mons' like Bisharp, Conkeldurr, Breloom, CBScizor, CBTalonflame, Mega-Gyarados, Scarf Terrakion and more. All while holding on to enough hp to possibly take another hit (from another mon') and use rest.

An example of how counter can be a useful move for Goodra that enables it to cripple the opponents physical attacker(s).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-112718247

Again if played correctly you should be able to get two mons with this strategy. I was only able to get Conkeldurr. But if you watched the replay it opened up opportunities to set-up and possibly sweep with a teammate. (which I did ... somewhat).

Last edited:
Reactions: AM

Goodra @ White Herb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power whip
That's right. Fast curse baby.​
Every time I see Goodra, I'm thinking about a Fat-specially-oriented-slow-dragon, but that's not the case actually, 100 BS attack and 80 BS Speed is quite decent.
The goal of this set is simple: With white herb, Curse is turning into Bulk up, and with everybody expecting switching into their Heatran thinking about a Specially oriented set...it's time to wreck some stuff.
Outrage is the obvious stabb, doing a good amount of damage to any mon that is not Fairy or Steel, Earthquake beats Heatran, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Aegislash and Mega-Mawile and the last move is up to you: Power whip can OHKO Bold Rotom-W with Rocks, Azumarill, Keldeo and Quagsire clearly while Iron tail will hit Fairies harder
Sap sipper also gives you an extra bonus if you switch on a grass-type move which is always cool.
This set is stopped by Skarmory / Clefable, (if unaware bold, if not Iron Tail+1 will 2HKO) Magnezone or Gothitelle can work as good teammates.

Goodra @ White Herb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power whip
That's right. Fast curse baby.​
Every time I see Goodra, I'm thinking about a Fat-specially-oriented-slow-dragon, but that's not the case actually, 100 BS attack and 80 BS Speed is quite decent.
The goal of this set is simple: With white herb, Curse is turning into Bulk up, and with everybody expecting switching into their Heatran thinking about a Specially oriented set...it's time to wreck some stuff.
Outrage is the obvious stabb, doing a good amount of damage to any mon that is not Fairy or Steel, Earthquake beats Heatran, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Aegislash and Mega-Mawile and the last move is up to you: Power whip can OHKO Bold Rotom-W with Rocks, Azumarill, Keldeo and Quagsire clearly while Iron tail will hit Fairies harder
Sap sipper also gives you an extra bonus if you switch on a grass-type move which is always cool.
This set is stopped by Skarmory / Clefable, (if unaware bold, if not Iron Tail+1 will 2HKO) Magnezone or Gothitelle can work as good teammates.
I think you might have to swap Power Whip with Sludge Bomb, so that you won't fear of being walled by fairy types, especially Sap Sapper Azumarill, and Unaware Clefable.

Sap Sipper Azumarill is rarely used and it would have to invest like crazy in spA to make it work. Not worth it.

Honestly Dr Ciel there isn't really much more we can do with Goodra. It is a Pokemon with a very shallow movepool and it isn't a very good Pokemon in general. I considered posting the a Choice Specs set but mid-way through noticed it has been incorporated as one of its "standard sets." TBH any set outside of AV and Choice Specs I tried to think of I wouldn't seriously consider on any team (either gimmick or outclassed) including the ones in this thread (even mine). Nevertheless I tried...

Goodra (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Gooey
EVs: 240 Atk / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Outrage

A fully mixed Goodra with dual Dragon-STAB moves. Goodra's faces extreme competition from Kyurem-B, another mixed Dragon that can retain a good amount of bulk. Where Goodra misses out on an extra STAB move, speed, power on both ends of the spectrums, and physical bulk, it gains with superior coverage with Fire Blast and Earthquake and extra special bulk. Mild nature is used because it already has terrible physical bulk without investment. The speed EV's let you outspeed neutral max speed base 50's. With SR on the field, Goodra has a 34% chance to 2HKO Chansey. Less expected than Kyurem-B, but terribly outclassed. Gooey is there to act as more useful death fodder because in the end that is really all Goodra is good for lol

Goodra is quite mediocre (read: bad) in OU and there's not many viable/intetesting sets but this one wasn't posted yet so here goes:
Goodra (F) @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SpD
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse/Muddy Water

This allows it to wall just about every special attacker that doesn't have Psyshock or Secret Sword, hit pretty had with Thunder in the rain and either a stab in dragon pulse or a pseudo stab in muddy water.

Pretty straight forward set, Damp Rock can be used if you use Goodra as a dedicated/back up rain setter, leftovers for a more defensive role (bold max def instead of max spa is an option but its physical bulk remains weak) or life orb if you value damage more.

Pick a more interesting Mon next please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)