Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't trapping moves end once the user switches out / is KOed? If not, then that set works quite well. Otherwise, you're out of luck. D:

Theres a lot of conflicting info about it but from my experience fairy lock stays in effect even if you die or switch out- the issue is, it only lasts a turn, so if you use it then switch out next turn the opponent will only be trapped for the turn which you used to switch pokemon. It can then avoid the incoming damage by switching out next turn.

Edit: I asked one of my opponents and yea I can clarify that it works as intended on PS. Free Keldeo with Shadow Tag op

Last edited:
I have been using a Klefki set that I'm enjoying at the moment. Im sure most people wont like using eject button (although I think its one of his better sets) but it works with light clay too

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (can be switched to specially defensive but wouldnt advise it)
- Fairy Lock
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave/Foul Play

This set is perfect when paired with a win-condition like Mega mawile, and the identical typing plays heavily in your favour. Using this set, you can lure in pokemon who can beat mega mawile such as heatran or landorus-t, and lock them in place after your death to be revenged by a powerful pokemon. I like using a core of Klefki, specs Keldeo (who can 1-shot anything that Klefki lures and traps such as heatran/lando-t) and Mega Mawile as mentioned before. This can work well with other win-condition pokemon, such as mega pinsir or megazard-x.
The idea is not to let klefki die the first time it switches in (unless you get the chance to get one of your desired targets), but later in the game when it has already set up screens once or twice and is low enough to be killed by a single attack from Heatran/Lando-T. Luckily a 4x bug resistance means Lando is very unlikely to be able to finish you off with u-turn and switch out of fairy lock at the same time, while Keldeo will outspeed him afterwards in order to ohko before he can use u-turn.

You can use this with eject button klefki too, which means you have the option of locking in the opponent while being able to instantly switch out without the need to sac your klefki.
I think Fairy Lock is criminally underused considering you are able to trap anything for revenge killing after they take out a support pokemon who has likely already set up screens for your team already.

The last slot is up to your personal choice, both moves are good at crippling things attempting to set up on you, but usually I run thunder wave in order to cripple things faster than my revenge killers so that they are outsped whilst trapped. Foul Play is a solid alternative though to not be so crippled by thundurus or other taunt users.
Ahh Nice set. The set I use is with Foul Play, Swagger, Thunder-Wave, And Substitute, It works wonders and can really mess a team up!

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Fuck up about 75% of UU for 5 turns and then rinse/repeat.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Fuck up about 75% of UU for 5 turns and then rinse/repeat.
This is an OU thread son

Anyway I've been having fun with this set, its obviously not very amazing but it does have some nice uses.

Pangoro @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker/Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Sky Uppercut
- Crunch
- Earthquake

A Scarfed Pangoro. At Jolly max speed Pangoro breaks 354 speed, which is JUST enough to outspeed base 111 pokemon aka Thundurus-I, which can also allow you to OHKO something like Latios who might not expect you to be scarfed. I have Mold Breaker on this set to kill Rotom-W in a pinch with Earthquake, although you can switch it out for Iron Fist for a stronger Sky Uppercut.

The only actual reason I wanted to try this set was because of Parting Shot, which can really cripple something like Landorus-T, then switch into a setup sweeper like Manaphy or Azumarill, and boost up either without taking nearly as much damage as I would previously, or forcing the opponent to switch. Basically like a somewhat less-effective memento that doesn't kill Pangoro in the process. Just need to watch out for Bisharp and other defiant users, which, in Bisharp's case, Pangoro threatens with Sky Uppercut.

-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 130-154 (38.1 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 124-147 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 218-260 (67.2 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 102-122 (31.4 - 37.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Basically Pangoro's Parting Shot support can potentially go a long way. Again its not something amazing but it can provide some important support, plus dammit its fun to use.

Less argument, more discussion about Role Play Landorus.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Spd (very flexible; max HP because I like my Landorus bulky, enough Speed to outrun Greninja that's been Rock Tombed on the switch, rest in Atk)
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb (or Stone Edge if you enjoy missing, but Rock Tomb's my preferred Rock move and it's also not the focus of the set; if you prefer power and not getting destroyed by Bisharp that's fine too) after more testing rock tomb is absolute balls use stone edge instead
- Swords Dance
- Role Play

This Landorus is an effective way of punishing anyone who uses Gliscor. And if they don't, well, it still does what a normal Landorus-T is meant to do and you're not losing out on much by putting Role Play in that moveslot. So it's not just a situational moveset that's otherwise useless.

It's not hard to set up a Gliscor vs Landorus scenario, since Gliscor is a decent switch-in to most Landorus-T and you can easily come in on Gliscor yourself unless it has ice fang then you're screwed with this set. The idea is to eat the Toxic, copy Poison Heal with Role Play (it handily bypasses Protect/Substitute in case you were wondering), set up and sweep with your hefty Attack stat, status protection and 12-18% (depending on whether Leftovers gets knocked off) HP regeneration each turn. Anyone who's played Hackmons should know how difficult it can be to stop a Poison Heal Pokémon without a niche move used specifically to beat Poison Heal. I use Rock Tomb to alleviate the somewhat less than desirable base 91 Speed and Stone Edge's accuracy, but that can be done by running max Speed Jolly or something like that if you prefer. Not Rock Polish>SD though, otherwise you'll never muscle past the Gliscor.

But isn't this just a dead weight if you don't have a Gliscor to steal PH from? Not really. Landorus doesn't suffer immensely from the use of Role Play over one of its more standard moves and depending on how you want to EV it, it can still perform as a bulky pivot or threatening Swords Dance sweeper regardless. Besides, there are various other situations in which Landorus can make use of its opponent's ability: pink blobs, Heatran, Chesnaught, Regenerators, Scolipede, Magic Guard?, some Moxie users, users of sand-based abilities and Dragonite come to mind; none of these are as game-changing as Poison Heal but they can come in handy. And it's not like you'll ever miss Intimidate because it only activates upon switching in.

This set loses against things like Rotom-W, Greninja (unless you predict) and generally faster special-based Pokémon that aren't scared of Earthquake, so make sure you're prepared for those. So, just like most Landorus-T. It's probably worth using this alongside a cleric, just in case you get forced out while poisoned and end up losing your ability and being crippled for the rest of the match. I've had a lot of fun using this myself - it's very threatening if you get hold of Poison Heal and not at all disappointing if you don't. I'd be interested to see what you think.

EDIT:
-The original set I posted loses the matchup against more Gliscor variants than I'd like, so I've crossed out a lot and am experimenting a bit to find a set that works better.
-Bulk Up>Swords Dance ensures the victory against Gliscors carrying Ice Fang or Swords Dance and makes you more durable afterwards. Haven't tested, but probably the superior option.
Inb4 RP levitate...then we'll have (another) case of a flying levitator. Derp.

Sylveon Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Ground/Fire

This set is really nice for catching unsuspecting opponents off guard. Hyper voice being the go to powerful move and Hyper beam being the 'use it or you lose it' situational move. The hidden power is basically wether you want to be able to kill heatran or ferrothorn. I would suggest HP Fire and just run a Garchomp with it. Really fun set IMO

Sylveon Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock

This set is really nice for catching unsuspecting opponents off guard. Hyper voice being the go to powerful move and Hyper beam being the 'use it or you lose it' situational move. The hidden power is basically wether you want to be able to kill heatran or ferrothorn. I would suggest HP Fire and just run a Garchomp with it. Really fun set IMO
Why life orb? Maybe run a lefties...Helps

Sylveon Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock

Really shouldn't be running Hyper Beam at all. You might nab that KO, but it also allows for anything to set up on you next turn, which can end games. The situations that it'll work in your favor are less than if you were to slap Heal Bell on instead.

Okay, this may seem a TAD gimmicky, but I believe it's actually one of the better users of this, so, without further ado, (or more cliches), I shall continue.
Dragonite WeaKness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVS: 252 Atk/252 Hp/4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Fire Punch
Dragonite makes the PERFECT weakness policy user, as he is one of the pokes that is most commonly hit with a super effective move - because that is practically the only way to kill him. Also, he can survive, almost guaranteed, provided his Hp is intact, easily surviving an icicle crash or ice beam. The crux of this moveset is Agility, as he will ideally have +2 speed along with +2 attack. There, he'll be able to use ExtremeSpeed to outspeed and kill most annoying ice shard users, or simply smash other pokes with a STAB dragon or his handy fire punch. He ideally sent in against a Weavile, Mamoswine, or perhaps even a Dragon type, to get ready to sweep. However, this Dragonite falls short when faced with Status, or perhaps something else I've overlooked.

Okay, this may seem a TAD gimmicky, but I believe it's actually one of the better users of this, so, without further ado, (or more cliches), I shall continue.
Dragonite WeaKness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVS: 252 Atk/252 Hp/4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Fire Punch
Dragonite makes the PERFECT weakness policy user, as he is one of the pokes that is most commonly hit with a super effective move - because that is practically the only way to kill him. Also, he can survive, almost guaranteed, provided his Hp is intact, easily surviving an icicle crash or ice beam. The crux of this moveset is Agility, as he will ideally have +2 speed along with +2 attack. There, he'll be able to use ExtremeSpeed to outspeed and kill most annoying ice shard users, or simply smash other pokes with a STAB dragon or his handy fire punch. He ideally sent in against a Weavile, Mamoswine, or perhaps even a Dragon type, to get ready to sweep. However, this Dragonite falls short when faced with Status, or perhaps something else I've overlooked.

Really shouldn't be running Hyper Beam at all. You might nab that KO, but it also allows for anything to set up on you next turn, which can end games. The situations that it'll work in your favor are less than if you were to slap Heal Bell on instead.
I slapped Wish on for hyper beam. So far, it's been been working well for me. Here's the team I run it on: http://pastebin.com/JSAsXb9W
I have it in the back to bluff it being specially defensive while the rotom is a scarfer or something

I slapped Wish on for hyper beam. So far, it's been been working well for me. Here's the team I run it on: http://pastebin.com/JSAsXb9W
I have it in the back to bluff it being specially defensive while the rotom is a scarfer or something
Why don't you just run Dragon Dance instead of Swords Dance and Flame Charge on your Charizard X? Flame Charge is too weak a move and you'd be better off running Flare Blitz or Fire Punch (Since you run EQ instead of Roost). Other than that that's a pretty solid team. I like that HP Fire on Sylveon, catch them Ferrothorns off guard and even predict a Scizor switch in.

Or Belly Drum + Flame Charge, which has surprisingly wrecked me a couple of times. With tough claws and STAB, Flame Charge has the same power as Earthquake, and at +6 it's like using Earthquake on a 4x weak mon, so once you pull off one Belly Drum and Flame Charge, nothing is really gonna be able to take a hit from it and not much outspeeds.

upload_2014-4-23_0-2-38.png

This is a custom set i made for Bisharp using the Assault Vest item
Bisharp (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Low Kick/Pursuit/Stone Edge/Psycho Cut

You might be wondering why do I have 84 speed investment, well it is to out speed uninvested Base 80s (AV Goodra,Mandibuzz,Togekiss,Sp.def Heatran,Defensive Sylveon,Venusaur). Now Knock Off is a oblivious STAB move to run on Bisharp and has the ability to take off the item. Sucker Punch is STAB priority Iron Head is again more STAB and the last slot is basically what could suit your team better. Low Kick 2kos Sp.def Heatran and provides nice coverage and if it outspeeds you could take a UNINVESTED lava plume and KO and Kill Max HP Ttar with Low Kick while Iron Head cannot OHKO and does nice damage to excadrill. Pursuit is for trapping pokemon like Latios,Latias,Gengar,Deo-d,Alakazam,Espeon,Jellicent,Aegislash you are able to take any one hit from Specs Latios (Draco,HP Fire,Surf,Tbolt etc.),If Gengar lacks Focus Blast it cannot really touch you and you are able to trap with Pursuit,Deo-d on the switch (not Deo-s most carry Superpower). Stone Edge is for catching Flying/Fire/Bug Types on the switch (Volcarona,Char-y/x,Zapdos,Talonflame,Thundurus-I). Now finally for Psycho cut, which is to hit bulky poison types(Mega Venusaur) and having the ability to hit fighting types with Supereffective damage. If you want to fit this bisharp on your team I would recommend any pokemon (1-2) to take any sort of Fighting/Ground move (ex. Celebi,Zapdos,Togekiss).

Some Calcs (By some I mean a TON)
4 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 194-230 (61.7 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 266-314 (68.9 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 258-306 (63.8 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 516-608 (127.7- 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-D: 116-140 (38.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
They do not provide the damage calc if a pokemon switched out and is hit with pursuit sorry :/
252+ SpA Goodra Flamethrower vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 172-204 (54.7 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Goodra Fire Blast vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 210-248 (66.8 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 187-222 (48.6 - 57.8%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 228-268 (59.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 230-272 (73.2 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 142-168 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 35.5% chance to
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 176-208 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 408-482 (135 - 159.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 177-211 (56.3 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 198-234 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 194-230 (67.8 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 97-114 (33.9 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zapdos: 204-242 (53.1 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 127-151 (40.4 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 312-368 (104 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp in Rain: 165-195 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Kyurem Earth Power vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 192-228 (61.1 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 168-198 (53.5 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 312-368 (79.5 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery(Low Kick does the same amout)
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery(again Low Kick does the same amount)
252+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 240-284 (76.4 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 214-252 (71.8 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 218-257 (69.4 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Clefable Flamethrower vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 203-239 (64.6 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 204-241 (64.9 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
On my OU Mono, I have this Golurk.

NU lel (Golurk) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch

It OHKOs most things with the punches or STAB EQ. People keep saying "use dynamicpunch". Dynamic punch is for people who love missing.

Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch

It OHKOs most things with the punches or STAB EQ. People keep saying "use dynamicpunch". Dynamic punch is for people who love missing.
People probably say use DynamicPunch with Golurk's other ability, No Guard.

Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch

With No Guard it always hits...

Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch

Ever heard of No Guard? His ability that makes moves NEVER MISS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)