Spelling and Grammar Standards

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Could we clarify as to whether we're using the term "Extreme Killer" or "Extreme Killer Arceus" to refer to the set? Or are the interchangeable (the second one seems redundant if they are). The fifth generation Arceus-Normal article refers to it as "Extreme Killer", though I've seen it referred to in various places as "the Extreme Killer", "Extreme Killer Arceus", etc.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe it's only OK in my experience to say "Extreme Killer Arceus". If people are ok with "Extreme Killer" being its own noun, I'll clarify that.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just clarified with Hugendugen and Sweep a few days ago- "Extreme Killer" is the only accepted term, but you could also clarify more and say "Extreme Killer Arceus" or "Extreme Killer Arceus-Normal."

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Electrolyte I've never actually had any experience with just "Extreme Killer", so I'll add that this is an acceptable noun. Originally, the rule put in here was meant to stop things like "Specially Defensive Kyogre" while allowing "Extreme Killer Arceus"

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ogles mentioned that we can use Arceus-type (because it's like that in the dex). However, for consistency, we use Type Arceus. I am open to changing it this gen, though. nbd either way

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
How do the Pumpkaboo formes work? Is it:

Pumpkaboo-Super
Pumpkaboo-Small
et. al (wow the rhyme)

Pumpkaboo Super
Pumpkaboo Small
et. al

or

Super Pumpkaboo
Small Pumpkaboo
etc.

GatoDelFuego

How do the Pumpkaboo formes work? Is it:

Pumpkaboo-Super
Pumpkaboo-Small
et. al (wow the rhyme)

Pumpkaboo Super
Pumpkaboo Small
et. al

or

Super Pumpkaboo
Small Pumpkaboo
etc.
Gourgeist-A (where A is S for small, L for large, and XL for super; Gourgeist's Average forme is simply "Gourgeist")

Pumpkaboo follows the same way

GatoDelFuego

What are we doing regarding Defog? I've seen "Defogger" being tossed around--is that ok, or should it be "Defog user"?

GatoDelFuego

I've seen some things in analyses like "Talonflame's Gale Wings Brave Bird" or "Pinsir's Aerialate Quick Attack". I'm pretty sure that "Ability Move" isn't that correct, but it's not exactly "boosted" like a "Flash Fire-boosted Fire Blast". Any suggestions for good ways to make this sound nice? I think I've tried something like "Aerialate-altered" before.

edit shhhh I can spell how I please

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

Sure, it looks nice, but we don't say "Infernape's Blaze Overheat" or "Xerneas's Fairy Aura Moonblast", as the ability is affecting the move in some way.

I don't see anything wrong with 'Ability Move'. It's safe to assume anyone reading an analysis knows how the ability works. Plus we've always used terms such as 'Infernape's Choice Band Close Combat' and 'Porygon-Z's Choice Specs Tri Attack' in analyses before.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
'Ability Move' is fine; they aren't giving a direct boost so we wouldn't add the hyphenated -boosted as we would for Blaze-boosted Overheat, etc.

GatoDelFuego

I've been seeing something for the last few days and I wanted to clarify it. STAB literally means "same type attack bonus;" nothing more. I've seen a lot of "Outrage is a powerful STAB for Kyurem-B" and the like. Outrage is not a STAB, it's a "STAB move" or "STAB option." However, in a sentence like..."Fire-types such as Infernape and Heatran can deal a lot of damage to Ferrothorn with their STABs" is ok, because it's talking about all their STABs (Fire or Fighting), not one specific move that happens to be a STAB move. Anywhere this would be good to put in the standards?

I don't see how it's ok even in the second case. Even there, "STAB" is incorrectly being used to refer to a STAB move. I generally recommend changing it to "a powerful STAB option" or the like. However, I don't know if this is that big a problem to add it to the list ...

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
i have little recall how smogon grammar works but the following makes sense in my head and i wrote most of this up hours ago so my thoughts are disjointed, i don't quite recall if I had a finisher sentence, and i'm unsure if my thoughts are there in full.

STAB needs to be paired with a variable - by itself, it doesnt make sense. "swampert's same type attack bonus deals good damage to heatran", a good player will place the "move" or "attack" right after 'same type attack bonus' but relying on the reader's mind to be knowledgable enough in both the english language and competitive battling is not always the case. if it was "swampert's STAB deals good damage to heatran" then STAB becomes a noun, something tangible swampert has access to that it itself can deal good damage to heatran, which is not the case

"swampert's same type attack bonus Water-type deals good damage to heatran" is technically correct I think, it just reads weirdly. when you make it 'STAB' it becomes more natural to read

I'm not sure what your issue is, CP?

"Fire-types such as Infernape and Heatran can deal a lot of damage to Ferrothorn with their STABs" - the STAB's variable is Fire-type. its talking about any attack that is fire-typed. sure, we'll never recommend fire fang heatran or flame wheel infernape, but these are things that are included in that sentence. The word "move" is never mentioned, because it doesn't talk about anything specific, it's discussing the entire arsenal of Fire-type moves the two Pokemon have at their disposal.

I would personally rewrite the sentence, however. "Infernape and Heatran can deal a lot of damage to Ferrothorn with their Fire-type STABs". With this sentence structure, instead of the reader having the read in between the lines to understand that Infernape and Heatran gain STAB from Fire-type, which would require (what they hopefully already have but better safe than sorry) a basic knowledge of what STAB is. Now, the information that Heatran and Infernape are Fire-type is the information not clearly present in the sentence, which is (in my opinion) the way it is better written.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This may be hard to get going but we could use the term STABM for "same type attack bonus move." STAB would still be usable in certain situations such as "Infernape has excellent STAB (same type attack bonus) coverage" or "Hits Heatran hard with its STAB Close Combat" but STABM could be used such as "Kyurem-B breaks down walls with its powerful STABMs". The only real issues here is that it reads a bit strangely and STAB is already so ingrained in the community that it would be hard to change.

Sorry if this is a bad idea, but I was just offering a solution. I do agree with Calm Pokemaster and GatoDelFuego.

This may be hard to get going but we could use the term STABM for "same type attack bonus move." STAB would still be usable in certain situations such as "Infernape has excellent STAB (same type attack bonus) coverage" or "Hits Heatran hard with its STAB Close Combat" but STABM could be used such as "Kyurem-B breaks down walls with its powerful STABMs". The only real issues here is that it reads a bit strangely and STAB is already so ingrained in the community that it would be hard to change.

Sorry if this is a bad idea, but I was just offering a solution. I do agree with Calm Pokemaster and GatoDelFuego.
I don't agree with this. I think simply putting it as "Kyurem-B breaks down walls with its powerful STAB moves" is fine, and simply abbreviating it won't do much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)