Un-Needed Aspects of Pokémon

The Pokemon Musical (B / W / B2 / W2): Why, GameFreak? Just...why? Contests aren't my cup of tea, but I at least thought they were fun every now and then and I did have a soft spot for the Pokeathlon. This though, was an absolute waste of data on the cartridges. You just give your mons accessories and just watch them dance for you. That's it! The Pokemon Musicals just put me to sleep. The developers could've put a Safari Zone in the games instead, but no. I hope this feature doesn't return in future titles (after X & Y I mean). The Musicals were just stupid. -_-

And as someone already mentioned: Easy Mode from W2 was a huge waste. Pokemon is already an easy game, so why would you want it to be any easier? You'd have to be really bad at Pokemon to find the games hard! I know Pokemon is a kid's game, but come on! :p

Vryheid

fudge jelly
not being able to get a pokemon from an NPC without having a free slot in your party was one of the most insane and pointless changes Nintendo has ever done since gen 1

Chiming in on spelling changes in Gen. VI. Especially "Faint Attack" -> "Feint Attack". It seems like people (not even GameFreak's own translators) didn't understand that "Faint" doesn't refer to fainting but faint as in "hard to see".
The funny thing is I only realized that recently; for a long time I thought Faint Attack was supposed to be an OHKO move that was just glitched. :P

EVs and Natures are essential for making unique builds different from all others - it forces a choice that can make things more interesting tactically. IVs, however, have got to go. There is seriously no point in having anything less than a 31 in anything, even weak stats. It's meant to add more individuality, but all it does is make you bike for another eight weeks.

Also, I'm probably going to be alone in saying this, but... Shinies. The game could really do without shinies. Just give us normal color options like with Hippowdon or Gastrodon, don't make us bike an endless amount of time for it!.

I also agree with the Event Legendaries thing. Not so much for the pokédex, but because some of my favorite species get Lost Forever if we happen to have an incompatible wi-fi router. And to think Nintendo wants us not to cheat... What if I happen to just like Mew? What if, Arceus forbid, I wanted to nickname her? >_<

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say IV's and Shinies are un-needed. But "un-needed" doesn't necessarily mean bad. GF has been more than generous with shinies lately, and with IV's it's getting easier and easier to handle. :P

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned these: Why cant I send over Pokemon from Emerald with HMs to Platinum? If I've beaten the Elite Four and unlocked the transfer I defiantly have gotten the HMs since they are required to get here.

Also why the heck can we not transfer items through Pokemon Bank? If I payed money for this I at least want to transfer over my master ball collection I've been keeping since Emerald in case I find (a) shiny legendary(s). Also I want flying gem Archeops already.

Seriously I don't understand why we have all of these restrictions on trade.

Cobraroll said:
Chiming in on spelling changes in Gen. VI. Especially "Faint Attack" -> "Feint Attack". It seems like people (not even GameFreak's own translators) didn't understand that "Faint" doesn't refer to fainting but faint as in "hard to see".
Going by name descriptions, Japanese names, and the TCG, it's strongly suggested that the name was always intended to be "Feint Attack". Game Freak just didn't bother correcting the mistake until Gen VI, when they updated a whole bunch of move names to make use of the 12-character limit no longer existing, and they probably figured they might as well update that while they were at it.

For another example, it's suggested that the move Dynamic Punch was originally intended to be Dynamite Punch, going again by the Japanese name and particularly the animations (see Gen II-III). They probably didn't want to change it back after realizing their mistake, given the negative connotations of referencing explosives in a kid's game, hence they probably retconned it in Gen IV+ along with the move description and animation.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned these: Why cant I send over Pokemon from Emerald with HMs to Platinum? If I've beaten the Elite Four and unlocked the transfer I defiantly have gotten the HMs since they are required to get here.

Also why the heck can we not transfer items through Pokemon Bank? If I payed money for this I at least want to transfer over my master ball collection I've been keeping since Emerald in case I find (a) shiny legendary(s). Also I want flying gem Archeops already.

Seriously I don't understand why we have all of these restrictions on trade.
Regarding "No HMs", it's because you could end up traveling to, say, Dewford Island, and then transfer everything with Surf/Fly, and then "Toss" all of your Poké Balls, so that you can never leave Dewford Island. To remedy this, they make it so that you can't transfer HM Moves.

As for the "No Items" thing, in the jump from Gen 4 to Gen 5, it was to prevent you from obtaining a Pokémon that was holding a TM. TMs cannot be held in Gen 5, so the game wouldn't be able to handle a Pokémon that is holding it. As for the jump from Gen 5 to Gen 6, it was either GF being too lazy to rewrite their code, or, more likely, other items that they don't want you to transfer. Namely, the elemental gems.

Just because Flying Gem Acrobatics Gale Wings Talonflame is far too overpowered to be allowed right now.

That aside, the Town Map always seemed to be pretty stupid in retrospect. The routes in pokemon aren't terribly long, and nowadays you get tons and tons of hints on where you're headed to. And that's not even touching up on the fact that its not even a Town Map per se.

I always felt that Pokestar Studios does nothing but slow your progress down. Maybe it's just me but the storylines are boring and too cheesy.
What's up with Shininess anyway? When it was introduced, the only thing it does is encourage people to hack so that they can have a Pokemon with a different colour. Granted, people also hack for good IVs, which I feel was unneeded.

The Adventure Rules in X and Y are pretty useless... they should just be on some optional introductory screen like in Gen IV. And also, to be honest, Route 3 is a fair distance to go without knowing that pressing X opens the menu.

The Pokemon Musical (B / W / B2 / W2): Why, GameFreak? Just...why? Contests aren't my cup of tea, but I at least thought they were fun every now and then and I did have a soft spot for the Pokeathlon. This though, was an absolute waste of data on the cartridges. You just give your mons accessories and just watch them dance for you. That's it! The Pokemon Musicals just put me to sleep. The developers could've put a Safari Zone in the games instead, but no. I hope this feature doesn't return in future titles (after X & Y I mean). The Musicals were just stupid. -_-
I'm sorry, but...
... the ability to give a Slaking a Top Hat and Cane and dance around is one of the best things to ever happen in any Pokémon game.

I think having lots of abilities and moves that do the same things is pointless. Solid rock, filter, protect, detect, seismic toss, night shade, switcheroo, trick, air lock, cloud nine etc.

Frustration is also a pointless move as it is only useful like the first 2 battles with a Pokemon

Last edited:
BaffleBlend, post: 5391156, member: 223932"]EVs and Natures are essential for making unique builds different from all others - it forces a choice that can make things more interesting tactically. IVs, however, have got to go. There is seriously no point in having anything less than a 31 in anything, even weak stats. It's meant to add more individuality, but all it does is make you bike for another eight weeks.

Also, I'm probably going to be alone in saying this, but... Shinies. The game could really do without shinies. Just give us normal color options like with Hippowdon or Gastrodon, don't make us bike an endless amount of time for it!.

I also agree with the Event Legendaries thing. Not so much for the pokédex, but because some of my favorite species get Lost Forever if we happen to have an incompatible wi-fi router. And to think Nintendo wants us not to cheat... What if I happen to just like Mew? What if, Arceus forbid, I wanted to nickname her? >_<
If Nintendo dares to remove IVs I will chuck my 3DS out of the window. Seriously.

Pokemon is already a game that can be beaten by a blind, dumb three year old- so let's make it even MORE simple.

The only joy serious breeders have left is hatching that elusive 6 iv Absol or finally getting an HP Fire Abra.

Good pokemon should take time and careful planning.

Same with event pokemon, you want something? Go and move your arse to the nearest Gamestop or GOD FORBID actually trade for something in the WiFi section.

My personal hate is pokemon musicals- who the hell had the idea to put pokemon on stage? In clothes?

I think having lots of abilities and moves that do the same things is pointless. Solid rock, filter, protect, detect, seismic toss, night shade, switcheroo, trick etc.

Frustration is also a pointless move as it is only useful like the first 2 battles with a Pokemon
Night Shade and Seismic Toss get a free pass, as they both have an immunity they other covers.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If Nintendo dares to remove IVs I will chuck my 3DS out of the window. Seriously.

Pokemon is already a game that can be beaten by a blind, dumb three year old- so let's make it even MORE simple.

The only joy serious breeders have left is hatching that elusive 6 iv Absol or finally getting an HP Fire Abra.

Good pokemon should take time and careful planning.

Same with event pokemon, you want something? Go and move your arse to the nearest Gamestop or GOD FORBID actually trade for something in the WiFi section.

My personal hate is pokemon musicals- who the hell had the idea to put pokemon on stage? In clothes?
Praying for the RNG to be nice =/= Planning
Praying for the RNG to be nice = A fucking annoying time waster

Praying for the RNG to be nice =/= Planning
Praying for the RNG to be nice = A fucking annoying time waster
Catching 6 iv pokes in the wild= no point in buying the game

Just go on Showdown and ignore the crap Nintendo calls a storyline.

And no skill in getting good ivs? Have you even TRIED to reset for an HP Fire Xerneas?
You need to have at least 5 specific pokemon before you start...

On IVs: I'm pretty sure that GameFreak/Nintendo never foresaw or wanted them to become public knowledge, since they have not referred to them in any of the games or manuals to this day outside of the IV checker whose words are totally meaningless until you do your research. Even the term "IVs" was created by the fandom. It's only the huge success of the competitive metagame and the expertise of hackers that has caused the knowledge to get out.

Catching 6 iv pokes in the wild= no point in buying the game

Just go on Showdown and ignore the crap Nintendo calls a storyline.

And no skill in getting good ivs? Have you even TRIED to reset for an HP Fire Xerneas?
You need to have at least 5 specific pokemon before you start...
I'm not sure whether you realise that the random nature of IVs is a disadvantage of on-cart battling over PS battling, rather than a boon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)