Your 10 Favorite Albums

I made a thread like this once in like 2010 or something. I love reading lists like these and making them so I'm here to do it again now that my tastes have changed dramatically.

This list is not in order, because that's just way too hard for me to do, so instead I'll just list them in alphabetical order.

Brian Eno - Another Green World (1975)

So objectively, this might be the best album ever. I don't know, I'm not here to try and make that distinction. What I do know is that this is one of those very rare albums that is just plain perfect from the first to the final minute. This laid the framework for electronica and ambient music for the rest of ever, and the influence is still plainly obvious even to this day. It's not just a fantastic record, but it's extremely important, and will keep you both interested and soothed for it's entire duration. This is clearly Eno's finest work, and that's quite a compliment given how great the rest of his discography is. A true, modern-day genius.

The National - Boxer (2007)

Just the ultimate rainy day album. Every song is so somber, but Matt Berninger lays everything out on the table for you. There's a surreal beauty to every song on this record, and "Fake Empire" is one of the finest songs ever written. In terms of traditional indie rock, it doesn't get much better than this, plain and simple.

David Bowie - Low (1977)

One of the best bang-for-your-buck albums ever released. This was when Bowie changed his direction, and this album just organically shows his transformation from the first side to the next. You're introduced with some excellent art rock songs, which tease you with their strange, electronic experiments while still keeping things catchy and fun. Then you slowly begin getting weirder, with "What in the World" starting off with video game-like beeps and boops that particularly catch your interest. You then slowly wander into the second half of the album, which is some of the most beautiful music ever by a rock musician. There's so much here for an advanced music listener to truly discover and appreciate, and the variety of songs will keep you coming back again and again.

Elliott Smith - Either/Or (1997)

I'll be the first to admit: I'm an Elliott Smith fanboy. To the extent that I truthfully believe he's never written anything less than a great song. Given that I'm under his spell like this, it's extremely difficult to pinpoint my favorite work of his. I usually settle on Either/Or mostly because it's his most consistent work. I may find Waltz #2 and Tomorrow, Tomorrow to be better songs than anything on this album, but this one presents an ethereal cohesiveness that makes it a magical listening experience no matter what mood you're in. These songs are written with such a poetic mastery that they can be taken differently every time you listen to them. Is "Say Yes" sad or hopeful? Sentimental or uplifting? I don't know, and that's what makes this album so beautiful.

The Antlers - Hospice (2009)

Sometimes you fall in love with an album simply because you just instantly feel grabbed by it, and you decide to never let go. Anyone that's had a serious music discussion with me since I was 15 years old has heard me talk about this album. It's hard to describe what I see in it, really. Obviously I view it as a masterpiece, and one of the most intimate glimpses into the heart of sadness that has ever and will ever be recorded. Some might criticize this list of albums as being overall to harsh and too dark. Well, that's because I feel that's when the most powerful human emotions come out; when we are at our worst. Hospice was clearly recorded by a man that's deeply in pain, and it oozes throughout every track until you're forced to go through the experience with him. This is truly a sensational record that I think everyone should experience at least once simply to understand what true, uninhibited emotion sounds like.

Paul Simon - Graceland (1986)

I know this list is supposedly not in order, but I assure you this is #1. I mean, duh. If there's anyone out there that thinks they know me that isn't aware that this is my favorite album of all-time by now, then you have a lot to learn about me. I don't necessarily think this is the greatest album ever in terms of mere songwriting, although I am happy to argue that the title track deserves to be considered one of the finest compositions in the history of rock music. Regardless, this album is not perfect even though I thoroughly enjoy every song. What makes it so special to me is that it introduced me to an untapped beauty in the world in a different way than any album ever has. This is different from simply discovering a new genre or something like other incredible albums have done, this album instead introduced me to an entirely new culture. From the very moment I heard this album, I began to simply love world and African music, and that is emphasized in other places on this list like on Bowie's Low or Remain in Light. I find the style and the singing to be so primal and beautiful, it's absolutely enchanting to listen to, and I have this album to thank. It's a life-changer, and not many albums accomplish that for me nowadays.

Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)

The ultimate folk album. I can say pretty definitively that this is the best guitar playing ever recorded. It might not be the most difficult per se, but Drake plays so flawlessly. These are still hard songs to play, and you will never hear a single semblance of a slip-up, it is technically as perfect as someone can ever play the guitar. It's this eerie robotic consistency that contributes to the other-worldly beauty of this album. What makes it all even more strangely enthralling is the actual fact that there is no video footage of Nick Drake in any form in existence. This mysterious persona just makes this album even more haunting, and you can top it all off with the beautifully weird album cover and you have some of the best 28 minutes in music.

Talking Heads - Remain in Light (1980)

I'm running out of adjectives to use here, but I assure you nothing I have written for this list has been hyperbole. These albums are indescribably wonderful, and Remain in Light is certainly no exception. I've always loved some of Talking Heads' most well-known singles, but it took me a while to really connect with this album. When I finally started to realize the technical brilliance displayed in these songs, it clicked. It's perfect for any type of listening mood: it's excellent as fun, funky background music, but it's also highly rewarding as an in-depth, analytical listen. There's never a time someone can't enjoy this album.

Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam (2007)

This doubles not only as one of the catchiest albums on this list but also one of the strangest. This is what makes Animal Collective so effective: they reward listeners with some serious ingenuity in their songwriting, while also giving you something you can sing along to. I dare you to tell me "Peacebone" isn't hopelessly infectious...but that doesn't come until after the abrasive, psychedelic intro. The moment that the madness that starts that song begins to take form and rhythm is one of the most interesting moments of music I've ever heard. This definitely deserves to be in the discussion for some of the best albums of all-time, there's some seriously brilliant writing to be discovered here, especially on "Fireworks".

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)

I mean, this is another "duh" album. I would bet that almost everyone that's ever heard this album would place it among their favorites of all-time (don't quote me on this or make a big deal out of it, it's obviously a generalization). It's just that good and that revolutionary. This stuff was written in 1967, people. I don't know how someone can say The Beatles were "ahead of their time" while Lou Reed and John Cale were over here writing about hookers and heroin in 1967. This album is pretty easy to get into despite the obvious experimental nature of it all, and that's what makes it so delightful and timeless. Tracks like "Venus in Furs" and "Heroin" still send chills down my spine no matter how many times I hear them.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Avalanches - Since I Left You (2000)
Gotye - Like Drawing Blood (2006)
Daft Punk - Discovery (2000)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)
Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory (1995)
The Avalanches - At Last Alone (2002)
Tame Impala - Lonerism (2012)
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker (2010)
Weezer - Weezer (1994)
Gorillaz - Gorillaz (2001)

The Avalanches - Since I Left You (2000)
Gotye - Like Drawing Blood (2006)
Daft Punk - Discovery (2000)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)

Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory (1995)
The Avalanches - At Last Alone (2002)
Tame Impala - Lonerism (2012)
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker (2010)

Weezer - Weezer (1994)
Gorillaz - Gorillaz (2001)
Some really great picks there, I bolded the ones that I particularly enjoy!

(From left to right in no order.)

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Starflyer 59 - The Fashion Focus
Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life
Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions
Blur - Think Tank
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada
Low - I Could Live In Hope
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike

At this moment:

The Moon Mistress - Silent Voice Inside
Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Death Grips - The Money Store
Neil Young - On the Beach
Com Truise - In Decay
Stoned Jesus - Seven Thunder Roar
Psyclon Nine - Crwn Thy Frnicatr
Sunn O))) - Black One
The Grand Astoria - Omnipresence
Nebula - To the Center

Kinda too Metal-ish. Should change it.

Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead
Korn - Take a Look In The Mirror
Gorillaz - Gorillaz
Tool - Ænima
System of a Down - Steal This Album!
Scars on Broadway - Scars on Broadway
Oasis - What's The Story (Morning Glory)?
Rammstien - Rosenrot
Nonpoint - Statement
Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family

Last edited:
At this moment:

Com Truise - In Decay
Sunn O))) - Black One
Nebula - To the Center

there's at most 2 metal albums on that list.

Serj Tankian - Elect the Dead
Korn - Take a Look In The Mirror
Gorillaz - Gorillaz
Tool - Ænima
System of a Down - Steal This Album!
Scars on Broadway - Scars on Broadway
Oasis - What's The Story (Morning Glory)?
Rammstien - Rosenrot
Nonpoint - Statement
Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American Family
there are at most 0 metal albums on this list. ;)

there's at most 2 metal albums on that list.
Stoned Jesus, Nebula and Grand Astoria are not Metal, but they are metal-ish. I consider Stoner/Desert rock as Metal-ish, thus saying that my list was mostly geared towards metal. And there is 3 metal albums in Moon Mistress, Sun O and Psyclon Nine.

The Birthday Massacre - Walking With Strangers (If I had to pick one, but I love all their albums)
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Hole - Violet
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Flyleaf - Flyleaf
The Police - Synchronicity
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Shinedown - Leave A Whisper
Slipknot - Slipknot

I've listened to a lot of music, but out of all the albums...these are the most appealing to me because of how excellent they are :D

No particular order:

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (1994)
Tech N9ne - All 6's and 7's (2011)
Mudvayne - Lost and Found (2005)
Five Finger Death Punch - The Way of the Fist (2007)
Deftones - White Pony (2000)
The Offspring - Smash (1994)
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)
Godsmack - Faceless (2003)
Eminem - The Eminem Show (2002)
Shinedown - Us and Them (2005)

What an excellent list man~ Kudos...I love FFDP :D I would've put 20 albums on my list with the amount of music I have haha~

Stoned Jesus, Nebula and Grand Astoria are not Metal, but they are metal-ish. I consider Stoner/Desert rock as Metal-ish, thus saying that my list was mostly geared towards metal. And there is 3 metal albums in Moon Mistress, Sun O and Psyclon Nine.
TMM (who i have not listened to) and Sunn O))) are the 2 i was referring to.

i have not listened to Psyclon 9 but i highly doubt it is metal.

i guess stoner stuff counts as metal-ish though, so fair point.

The Birthday Massacre - Walking With Strangers (If I had to pick one, but I love all their albums)
Hole - Violet
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Flyleaf - Flyleaf
Slipknot - Slipknot

I've listened to a lot of music, but out of all the albums...these are the most appealing to me because of how excellent they are :D
No particular order:

these lists gave me cancer.

At this moment:

Com Truise - In Decay
Sunn O))) - Black One
Nebula - To the Center

Shhh bby, It's never too metal-ish. Honestly, I haven't listened to too many of these bands but Psy-9 and Death Grips are pretty snazzy,

Hole - Violet
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Flyleaf - Flyleaf
Slipknot - Slipknot

Eh, all of these bands I have listened either have better albums, or are just not that great. The top 3 are all pretty top- tier though.

No particular order:

You have a great taste in music, friend. While I prefer different albums by the same artists, all of these have a well-worn Pandora Station.

(How many of these have you seen live?)

EDIT: For the bottom two: Maybe listen to artists with similar musical styles rather than people that sold out years ago. Music is more important than money for some bands. That inevitably changes though.

TMM (who i have not listened to) and Sunn O))) are the 2 i was referring to.

i have not listened to Psyclon 9 but i highly doubt it is metal.

i guess stoner stuff counts as metal-ish though, so fair point.
Psyclon Nine are, I don't know ... They can be classified as Industrial Metal.

Shhh bby, It's never too metal-ish. Honestly, I haven't listened to too many of these bands but Psy-9 and Death Grips are pretty snazzy,
Haha, I know, but I always try to be as diverse as possible in such lists. I highly recommend listening to the Grand Astoria, they are my favourite band at this moment (As you can see by my avatar) if your into some sexy punk-ish stoner rock, you'll love them.

And fuck yeah, someone who likes Death Grips and Psyclon on smogon!

man this is hard

after much thought and consideration...

10. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
9. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
8. Converge - Jane Doe
7. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
6. The Beatles - Beatles For Sale
5. Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
4. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
3. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
2. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
1. Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun

honorable mentions are everything else listed here

What's the center one top row? I recognize all of the others, and I'm 90% sure I've seen that image before, but I can't place it.

In no particular order:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
The Clash - London Calling
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
Talking Heads - Fear of Music
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
John Fahey - Fare Forward Voyagers (Soldier's Choice)
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
Death - Symbolic
This Heat - Deceit

Things that just barely didn't make the cut include Outkast's Aquemini, Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, Warning's Watching From a Distance, Gorguts' Colored Sands, and Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come.

At risk of upsetting the "it's not metal unless it was first written in the blood of a pig castrated with glass from the cathedral window the band broke while getting into said cathedral to burn it down" crowd...

Heidevolk - Uit Oude Grond (2010)
Danzig - Danzig (1988)
Nightwish - Oceanborn (1998)
NoMeansNo - Wrong (1989)
Testament - Low (1994)
Mustasch - Ratsafari (2003)
Dead Kennedys -
Frankenchrist (1985)
Bad Religion - All Ages (compilation from 1982-1992)
Damnation A.D. -
Kingdom of Lost Souls (1998)
NoMeansNo -
Small Parts Isolated and Destroyed (1988)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In no order:

Modest Mouse - Moon & Antarctica
CHVRCHES - The Bones of What you Believe
Pixies - Doolittle
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Emancipator - Soon it Will be Cold Enough
Get Set Go - Ordinary World
Grouplove - Grouplove
Spoon - Girls can Tell
Swans - The Seer
The Blood Brothers - This Adultery is Ripe

Not even Deschain can hate this list!!

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
The Sugarcubes- The Great Crossover Potential

"You convince me
That I am able
You make me strong
You’re my vitamin"

Patti Smith- Horses

"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine."

Bjork- Medulla

"Smooth
Soft
red
Velvety lungs
Are pushing a network
Of oxygen joyfully
Through a nose
Through a mouth
But all enjoys
All enjoys
The triumph of a heart"

The Clash- Self-titled

"White youth, black youth
Better find another solution
Why not phone up Robin Hood
And ask him for some wealth distribution?"

Sleater-Kinney - The Hot Rock

"Always thought that hell was the only place
hot enough to melt our hearts into a locked embrace
There’s something so safe about a lack of air
the only way to make sure that you’ll always be there
(I force my eyes open, and now who has changed?
I feel different, so different today)
"

Jimi Hendrix- Axis: Bold as Love

"When I'm sad, she comes to me
With a thousand smiles, she gives to me free
It's alright she says it's alright
Take anything you want from me,
anything."

Wu Tang- 36 Chambers

"I come with that ol' loco
Style from my vocal
Couldn't peep it with a pair of bi-focals
I'm no joker, Play me as a joker
I be on you like a house on fire
Smoke ya
Crews be actin like they gangs, anyway
Be like, "Warriors! Come out and playiyay!"
Burn me, I get into shit, I let it out like diarrhea
Got burnt once, but that was only gonorrhea
Dirty, I keep shit stinks in my drawers
So I can get fzza-funky for yah
Murder, taste the flame of the Wu-Tang RAHH!
Here comes the Tiger verse Crane!
Ow, be like wild with my style
Punk! You playing me, chump, you get DUMPED
WU! Is comin THROUGH! At a theatre near YOU!
And get funk like a SHOE!
What?!"

The Breeders- Title TK

"Life, forced to drive us
I spent the whole trip trying
to go my own way

Pity for me
Tattooed, wow
What a mile
Where are tonight's crimes going?

Innocent, I
caught a lawman's
daughter
Who tried turnin' it up to unwind"

Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie

"The empty bodies stand at rest
Casualties of their own flesh
Afflicted by their dispossession"

Snoop Dogg- Doggystyle

"What you gon' do? You really don't know
So I'd advise you not to trust that hoe
Silly of me to fall in love with a bitch

I'm too swift on my toes to get caught up with you hoes
But see, it ain't no fun
If my homies can't get a taste of it
'Cause you know I don't love 'em"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)