X/Y Volt Turn, need help

I enjoy the Volt Turn strategy, even though it's rarely seen in X/Y OU. I like the speed, the variability. But I just can't seem to keep myself winning. Rather than scrap this and learn a new style of play, I'd love to find a way to keep playing this strategy while upping my win numbers. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Here's the current team:

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch

This one is pretty self explanatory; it's a lead meant to get sticky web down quickly and help boost the speed of my team. Volt switch to do a little damage on the switch if Focus Sash leaves me with 1%, and two STAB moves to help support.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Defog

Pretty standard approach to Scizor with some minor tweaks. Defog to act as my spinner in case my opponent gets down too many entry hazards, at the sacrifice of Sticky Web. Bullet punch to deal with Fairys, Superpower to deal with some bulkier opponents, and U-turn to try to lure a switch to a fire type.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

My all-around sweeper. I've been able to take down 4 pokemon at a time with 4 different STAB super-effective moves. Grass Knot to deal with water types, Ice Beam to take down Gliscor and dragon types, Dark Pulse to deal with ghosts and psychic types, and U-turn to keep the strategy running, as well as deal with psychic types.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

I'm iffy about this guy. I know he has his mega but he dies more often than he does anything significant. He has my lone fire attack to help with grass types, and I'm never quite sure when to use Protect. Honestly, I copied this moveset off of some online suggestion.

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Stone Edge

I love this guy. Fakeout and Stone Edge is the bane of every flying type I face, and Hi Jump Kick helps me take out normal type pokemon. U-turn for obvious reasons, but also as a convenient way to switch out so Regenerator can kick into gear.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I appreciate Rotom, and I know this is the standard moveset, but much like Manectric I'm iffy about this guy. STAB Hydro Pump helps out in many situations and the ability to burn oponents with Will-O-Wisp is great, and I like Pain Split, but I just feel like all around he's kind of underpowered.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Use Hidden Power Ice on M-Manectric. Helps with handling things like Gliscor and Landorus in case they decide to switch in on you. Also go full Defense on Rotom-W. Many of your mons are frail and the defensive spread is much better in your case. Replace grass knot on Greninja with something like hydro pump or scald. Grass knot doesn't hit too many things in OU hard, even the mons that are super effective to it. You're better off just U-Turning out of there and having something else deal with the threat.

Set Comments:
  • Defog is kinda weird on a CB Scizor but hey, CB Talonflame run Will-o-wisp so yeah. You do miss out on Pursuit which is valuable against Lati@s (scout for HP Fire though) as the both can Defog your web and nuke the shit out of all your pokes. Pursuit > Defog
  • Mega Manectric isn't supposed to be a sweeper. Sure it has 135 Speed which allows it to outrun even Scarf users but not really a sweeper. It's more of a fast, bulky pivot that hits hard and switches out so that's maybe why it doesn't do much. I think you copied that post from VGC or Doubles because of Protect. I suggest running HP Ice > Protect to nail Gliscors and Dragons.
  • Choice Scarf > Life Orb and Knock Off > Fake Out on Mienshao. OU tier is pretty fast and once you get past base 100 speed, there are a lot of Scarfers out there. Scarf allows you to blow past ScarfChomp and that means +1 XZard as well. Knock Off gives you a move to hit those Aegislash and Gengars that could switch in on HJK. Plus, the utility of Knocking Off an opponents item is pretty cool.
  • Hydro Pump > U-turn on Greninja would be to your advantage. Hydro Pump gives you kind of a wallbreaking high BP move.
  • Run a spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd and a Bold Nature on Rotom-W to give your team a little defense.
Potential Changes:
  • Mega Mawile > Mega Manectric. This little demon is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. You can get her in easily with the right plays with Volt Switch and U-turn to punch holes in the opposing team. She also has Sucker Punch that could turn her into a late game cleaner.
    Mawile @ Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Sucker Punch
    - Fire Fang / Iron Head
    - Swords Dance / Substitute
  • Rotom-W forms a pretty good VoltTurn core with Scizor. I suggest Latios > Greninja. He's a really good wallbreaker and he allows you to muscle past Venusaur and nuke stuff with Draco Meteor. He also carries Defog and attracts Fairies that are setup fodder for Mega Mawile.
    Latios @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd /
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Defog
    - Surf / Roost
    First three moves are self explanatory. Surf is for Heatran (common switch in) and Tyranitar (another common switch in + Pursuit trapper)
This concludes my rate. I do hope it helped. Good luck with your team!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Up until this point I haven't ran any Hidden Powers or used any pre-Gen 6 legendaries because I'm trying to play on Showdown with a team I could build on my 3DS, and we all know how frustratingly difficult it is to produce the correct HP on a poke with the right stats, and the last pokemon game I played before XY was Silver, so those legendaries are out for me, lol.

But anyway,

I switched out Overheat for Flamethrower as per Ganon's suggestion for a while, but I think I'm about to give Mega Mawile a shot just to see how that works. Thanks again everyone! Always open to try more suggestions!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Up until this point I haven't ran any Hidden Powers or used any pre-Gen 6 legendaries because I'm trying to play on Showdown with a team I could build on my 3DS, and we all know how frustratingly difficult it is to produce the correct HP on a poke with the right stats, and the last pokemon game I played before XY was Silver, so those legendaries are out for me, lol.
Look at the trading subforums! Guys there RNG Dittos with the Hidden Powers you need.

That's a great idea, thanks!

I'm still getting involved in the whole meta-game stuff so tips like this are always helpful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)