Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll be streaming a lot of tomorrow, providing I get enough beer for the multiple hours I play.

Yes. Drinking and streaming. I'm planning an Arena run + a lot of play mode tomorrow. Hooray!

Was about to hit 7 wins in Arena until some retard Mage cheesed me with Frost Nova then Blizzard on 2 turns while I had 3 Molten Giants out. :(

Also I drafted 4 Flame Imps that game too :(

Probably gonna go to Fireside Gatherings event in my area tomorrow. Will be cool to see who else plays Hearthstone in my area and they have some unique challenges set up (and maybe a tournament?). :)

how best to do win 5 games with warlock and the meek shall inherit...

zoolock

didn't have all the cards so improvised.... still so easy to win.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Oof, just went 9-0 then lost to the same perfect Warrior deck 3 times in a row (and I waited 10 minutes between the 2nd and 3rd time).

1st game he kept tempo with 3 Fireaxes and beat me with a board full of Scarlet Crusaders.

2nd game he beat me late with a Big Game Hunter, Blood Knight, Argent Commander, Sunwalker, and Sea Giant. (to be clear, he BK'd my own Sunwalker, not his minions).

3rd game he coined a Frothing Berserker under taunt and kept it there.

Last edited:
Man, I've lost to the same person twice in a row in Arena....but THAT.....

:(

In other news, this was a pretty amazing play by one of the most "beloved" streamers at DreamHack Bucharest going on this weekend. Biggest tournament for Hearthstone to date IMO.

EDIT: Starts at the 7:10 mark.

Kinda pissed, maybe someone can explain how a stupid Cleave card can hit my minions that were Stealthed and should've been untargetable? Or is it just some stupid gameplay mechanic that allows it?

That's kinda dumb considering it has to be targeting something for its effect though? At least in other TCGs that's how it'd be...meh. Guess ill just have to remember it for next time.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
There's a lot of cards in Hearthstone that don't target anything, mainly in conjunction with random effects (Knife Juggler, Mad Bomber, Deadly Shot).

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Downloading. Looks like the bomb.

Any general advice on getting started? I wanna rack up quickly.

Also my ID is SoulFly#1403. I'll be adding you people after I'm actually done downloading and figuring this game out.

IDK how stuff goes around (being my first blizzard game) but hoping we can challenge each other and shit. here's hoping everyone jumps on this bandwagon fast.

Downloading. Looks like the bomb.

Any general advice on getting started? I wanna rack up quickly.

Also my ID is SoulFly#1403. I'll be adding you people after I'm actually done downloading and figuring this game out.

IDK how stuff goes around (being my first blizzard game) but hoping we can challenge each other and shit. here's hoping everyone jumps on this bandwagon fast.
Honestly it depends on if you want to drop money on this game or not. The best way I can explain is with two examples:

I started during open beta and have been playing for roughly 3 months now. I'm 100% F2P; so I haven't spent a dime. If you go this route and you want to hit Ranked play and do well from the start, I'd get familiar with all the classes just to see how they play, then pick 2 or 3 classes you really like and focus on getting all the necessary cards for those classes to build good decks with. I said this before ITT I believe, but I wish I did it this way when I started instead of trying to hoard every card and not disenchant anything. You CAN do that, but it will take longer to build optimal decks, so the grind for gold/packs will be longer. It's either do this or learn to get good at Arena IMO. Right now, the classes that cost the least to build decks for dust-wise are Hunter, Warlock and Rogue. Shaman isn't that expensive either(about the same as Rogue). It's important to note that all of these decks are aggressive or "midrange" (I guess the equivalent of "balanced" in Pokemon? Best comparison I can make from a Pokemon standpoint).

My brother started less than 2 weeks ago. Just the other day, he dropped $40 on the game to get 50 packs. He knew what deck he wanted to build before doing this. He didn't get every card ever, but now the deck he wanted is about 90% done (he pulled the legendary he needed). He also pulled enough key cards from another class to build a deck with that class as well. His mindset was "if I'm gonna spend money on this game, I need to get the $40 bundle since that's the best deal as far as buying packs". I and am sure many others agree.

So tl;dr, basically it's time spent vs. money spent. It's not "pay2win" so much as it's "pay2speed-up".

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
You can also check out any number of HS websites out there and do some good ol' reading. I will always recommend lots of Arena, both because it's a fun game mode in its own right and good for new players, for the experience you gain and the fact you'll be on even footing card-wise with your opponents. The tutorial does an alright job of walking you through the basics, then you should play the AI until you level every class to 10 and unlock all the basic (free) cards before delving further into the game.

While Magic is a lot more specific in its wording, Hearthstone takes the same stance with regard to targetting. To "target" is for players specifically choosing targets. Stealth does not prevent effects which randomly target (e.g. Cleave) or hit everything (e.g. Starfall, Twisting Nether).

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's a list of decent basic-only card decks for every class. Though don't use Priest because Priest basic-only sucks.

To get the class-specific basic cards you just have to level up to 10 with said class.

Matthew

double post:

Holy shit Kolento's cheap Hunter deck is so amazing (and it's not to the face!) you guys should try it!

had my first 7 win arena run, lost to the "rush field with totems and if you dont have outs you lose" shaman twice and a hunter with the rush you cards. really loving this game though, it's insane how much i improved just by watching streamers and applying some yugioh philosophy to it. if i start consistently making 7 win arena runs ill start streaming it myself :s

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Here's a list of decent basic-only card decks for every class. Though don't use Priest because Priest basic-only sucks.

To get the class-specific basic cards you just have to level up to 10 with said class.
Is there any reason only mage is titled 'custom'?

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok decided to go the bland route and start with mage. (I kinda dig females)... Practice mode is fine but I get shafted hard by Warlock and Priest in online play. Plus I'm not really liking the semi turtle strategy using spells and hero power to do chip damage+keep minions in control and to overwhelm opponent in the end with fireball and strong all-round minions. Any other creative ways to play Mage?

EDIT: Unranked multiplayer atm, until like I unlock Arena and get some good shit going. Basically focussing on levelling up Mage and Paladin. How good is paladin btw?

EDIT2: Okay I fucking suck, just got my ass handed by Shaman rush, before I could do shit. Totem spam done right is insane. Need fucking Blizzard.
Defo doing something wrong here, I'm usually not that bad at TCG.

Last edited:
^ your first Arena is free, so you may as well give it a go whenever you like.

I'm mostly using a fun Murloc deck in unranked with my Rogue, so funny when it works, and their cheap costs free up mana to remove obstacles with Sap or Assassinate, or free damage comboing with Headcrack and SS.

Matthew

Ok decided to go the bland route and start with mage. (I kinda dig females)... Practice mode is fine but I get shafted hard by Warlock and Priest in online play. Plus I'm not really liking the semi turtle strategy using spells and hero power to do chip damage+keep minions in control and to overwhelm opponent in the end with fireball and strong all-round minions. Any other creative ways to play Mage?

EDIT: Unranked multiplayer atm, until like I unlock Arena and get some good shit going. Basically focussing on levelling up Mage and Paladin. How good is paladin btw?

EDIT2: Okay I fucking suck, just got my ass handed by Shaman rush, before I could do shit. Totem spam done right is insane. Need fucking Blizzard.
Defo doing something wrong here, I'm usually not that bad at TCG.
Once you have all the key Mage spells (Fireball, Frostbolt, Explosion/Missiles, Flamestrike) then you need to focus on how to play / mulligan. Mage, in theory, stands a really strong match-up against Shamans. Don't waste your Polymorphs, and craft some Azure Drakes and maybe a Gadetezan, though Acolyte is often really smooth card draw for Mages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)