Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, it's really better to use Blastoise as a bulky attacker, something that he probably does better than every other Mega out there thanks to his awesome coverage.

I really don't think it matters if he's not supporting a mega like Pinsir or Charizard, especially Pinsir because every team is prepared for it and he can't consistently sweep as well as he used to, so there's not that much payoff for supporting him in that way in the first place. Additionally, he only takes 25% when switching in, same with Gyarados, which isn't completely crippling or anything and he very rarely switches out, so he would much rather other forms of support like weakening or removing checks and counters. The teams that do use Mega Blastoise aren't built around a Mega sweeper, and use him for being pretty much the best hazard remover, having powerful and effective coverage moves and his great natural bulk, so the point is largely irrelevant, unless you think that all successful teams should ideally revolve around a mega sweeper, which clearly isn't the case.

Last edited:
The teams that do use Mega Blastoise aren't built around a Mega sweeper, and use him for being pretty much the best hazard remover, having powerful and effective coverage moves and his great natural bulk, so the point is largely irrelevant, unless you think that all successful teams should ideally revolve around a mega sweeper, which clearly isn't the case.
While you definitely have a point that all teams shouldn't neccesarily revolve around a mega, I disagree that MStoise is the best hazard remover.

While he has great natural bulk, considerable firepower and great coverage, he's also vulnerable to all entry hazards and has fairly poor speed, whereas Excadrill has better speed, 4* resists SR, is immune to toxic spikes and with an air balloon also immune to spikes, it's also faster and has the option to run a choice scarf to be even faster, run SD to boost its already strong attack and even sand rush to be a great revenge killer/sweeper or provide an almost guaranteed spin when paired with hippowdon or ttar.

MBlastoise isn't bad but there's reasons why it's barely used in OU and it being a mega isn't the only reason.

Last edited:
I used bisharp way back before people realized its potential and it was my favorite... Don't care if I get called a hipster. Seeing him in S rank now... I feel proud for bisharp :')

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
The "if you use MBlastoise you can't use a Mega sweeper" argument is terrible because: 1. there are plenty of powerful non-mega sweepers like Talonflame, Dragonite and Volcarona who require hazard control to be used at their maximum potential and 2. it's like saying that Mega Venusaur isn't that good in anything but stall teams because it takes up the mega slot.

There is no written rule that says that offensive mega evolutions are the best way to use the mega slot. Stop assuming this when discussing Mega Blastoise.

You doesn't need a mega slot in stalls teams. In offense you can play : Mega-Manectric / Garchomp / Scizor / Pinsir / Tyranitar / Gyarados...which are all better than Volcarona btw, too much Aqua-jet/Flying priorities and offensive pressure everywhere

And Excadrill/Starmie (yeah starmie is pretty underrated) are overall better spinners that doesn't take a Mega-slot, so it's useless to sacrifice a Mega-slot for him.

*Will post/update this in Victory Road once the evil Milotic has been banished to C-/D Rank.

Mega Medicham
B+ -> A-

Mega Medicham has the niche of not giving a fuck about most relevant walls. I feel as if this thing is underrated because he (like Heracross) was introduced during a time when Birdspam was one of the biggest playstyles of the meta. Medicham was mislabeled by many players as a sweeper, and then fell out favor when people realized that you can't sweep with Base 100 speed. Medicham deserves A- rank because he's a phenomenal wallbreaker that outruns everything he wants to smash and 2HKO's them. Medicham paves the way for his teammates to sweep by annihilating the bulkiest threats. His sub + 3 coverage moves set (PLS STOP USING FAKE OUT/BULLET PUNCH PLS!) allows him to comfortably destroy the top bulkymons of the OU.

The Medicham OU Hitlist
-Gliscor
-Landorus-T
-Skarmory
-Mega Venusaur
-Zapdos
-Ferrothorn
-Blissey/Chansey
-Quagsire
-Suicune
-Hippowdon

Medicham @ Medichamite
Evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature : Jolly
- Hi Jump Kick (only bitches use Drain Punch)
- Substitute
- Psycho Cut
- Ice punch

ICE PUNCH:

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 218-258 (56.7 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 400-472 (104.7 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 284-336 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 568-672 (158.6 - 187.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO*

* = If Cham is at full health, Chomp must use Outrage in order to get a OHKO.

PSYCHO CUT:

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 320-378 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (Usage Venusaur)

HI JUMP KICK:

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 422-498 (119.8 - 141.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 228-268 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 231-273 (57.1 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 283-334 (71.8 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. Lol Chansey/Blissey.
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 204-240 (61 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery*

*= Skarmory can one shot Medicham with Brave Bird, but after the recoil, he's useless to wall anything else.

Medicham belongs in A- Rank because unless you're Mew, Cresselia, Slowbro, Sableye, Reuniclus, or Aegislash you can't wall him. He works extraordinarily on balanced offense as a way to breakthrough Stall, or Hyper Offense to annihilate bulky threats for teammates. Medicham is not a sweeper. He's a Point and Click Nuke. His Sub set destroys 95% of the relevant walls in the OU (Clefable can be beaten with Psycho Cut if weakened to under 75% beforehand). With a sub up, Medicham can ram through his checks and cause even more havoc. At base 100 speed, Medicham is by no means slow, and can clean house if need be at the end of a match. This thing is a beast, and B+ just doesn't suit it.

You doesn't need a mega slot in stalls teams. In offense you can play : Mega-Manectric / Garchomp / Scizor / Pinsir / Tyranitar / Gyarados...which are all better than Volcarona btw, too much Aqua-jet/Flying priorities and offensive pressure everywhere

And Excadrill/Starmie (yeah starmie is pretty underrated) are overall better spinners that doesn't take a Mega-slot, so it's useless to sacrifice a Mega-slot for him.
Then don't use him as a spinner! Its just one role that he can fulfill for christs sake. I've used him plenty as a bulky attacker with that fourth slot for rapid being just aqua ring or some other attack. Its just not the sole role he can do and as a bulky attacker, he is pretty damn good even if he has slightly sub par speed.

Keldeo / Azumarill / Greninja are better offensive water types and Rotom-w / Suicune / Manaphy are better bulky water types.

You can be a blastoise fan, but he is not good.

I see the ranking list and I saw Espeon on C+. given how Epseon is the big problem of Baton pass teams, and those teams are starting to became a problem, I think Espeon has to rise some ranks until BP is nerfed.

And I want to discuss why Bisharp is S rank. Because this pokemon has a lot of checks to be that "exclusive" rank.

I'm not, believe me, but its just the idea t that they associate one role to him every damn time is what pisses me off. A combination of things is what makes him B- ranking, and do to him doing them well, but not out classing particularly is why he is there. He is always something to consider with as he can be seen, so don't just write him off cause of him being "lol, megatoise".

Volcarona being in B- is criminal. Sure, the meta hasn't been really kind to it, but its better than you people make it out to be. First of all, it can run 2 different sets, bulky QD and offensive QD. Both are capable of ripping through teams, and what is the support required? Spinning and priority removal. That's it. Not to mention, it sets up on Aegislash, which is everywhere. And you can get around counters and checks with the last slot. Heatran? HP Ground. Talonflame? HP Rock. Azumarill? Giga Drain. The last slot is pretty much pick your poison, and you have teammates for what you didn't choose to cover. Sure, it requires a bit of support, but when it is given said support, is on the level of threatening that Mega Charizard X is. B- is too fucking low. At least bring it to B+.

His sub + 3 coverage moves set (PLS STOP USING FAKE OUT/BULLET PUNCH PLS!) allows him to comfortably destroy the top bulkymons of the OU.
Why. Why do people use fake out on this thing. Sure, you can net the occasional revenge kill, but if your Medicham manages to set a sub up safely, and your opponent doesn't have Aegislash or Slowbro (both easily dispatched by bisharp), you are most likely going to destroy one two, maybe even more Pokemon on the enemy team. Probably the best wallbreaker IMO, as it outspeeds and overpowers what it needs to.

Edit: And don't even get me started on bullet punch...

Volcarona being in B- is criminal. Sure, the meta hasn't been really kind to it, but its better than you people make it out to be. First of all, it can run 2 different sets, bulky QD and offensive QD. Both are capable of ripping through teams, and what is the support required? Spinning and priority removal. That's it. Not to mention, it sets up on Aegislash, which is everywhere. And you can get around counters and checks with the last slot. Heatran? HP Ground. Talonflame? HP Rock. Azumarill? Giga Drain. The last slot is pretty much pick your poison, and you have teammates for what you didn't choose to cover. Sure, it requires a bit of support, but when it is given said support, is on the level of threatening that Mega Charizard X is. B- is too fucking low. At least bring it to B+.
Sorry to break your bones but Volcarona is pretty easy to work around and priority removal is almost non existent. It can be a huge threat to noob teams but everything is a huge threat to noob teams. It's good just not great.

Sure, Blastoise can function as a bulky attacker. But it simply doesn't bring anything unique or strong enough to make it viable in the harsh environment that is OU. Morpheus hit the nail on the head; there are simply better options if you want a bulky water-type attacker.
It fills a niche as a decent spinner on teams that want neither Excadrill or another Mega 'Mon. Nothing more.

Sure, Blastoise can function as a bulky attacker. But it simply doesn't bring anything unique or strong enough to make it viable in the harsh environment that is OU. Morpheus hit the nail on the head; there are simply better options if you want a bulky water-type attacker.
It fills a niche as a decent spinner on teams that want neither Excadrill or another Mega 'Mon. Nothing more.
Hence why I said that it does not outclassed anything in these roles thus why it B- ranking. The fact it can do more than one job is good enough but it ca. Them both well in some regard is why its there to begin with. Never once did I argue that it should go up for being more than a spinner, but just saying it is more than one thus why it is there.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature : Jolly
- Hi Jump Kick (only bitches use Drain Punch)
- Substitute
- Psycho Cut
- Ice punch
I agree with everything you wrote, except this.

This moveset is completely walled by the most popular S-Rank mon, Aegislash and worse, because Aegislash is a ghost type, you basically can't use M-Medicham until you've taken out Aegislash who can't be trapped by anyone but Bisharp.

Fire Punch is more important than Substitute IMO as M-Medicham actually hits hard enough that most of the time prediction won't be an issue as slower things will get 2hko'd anyway and faster things will usually take a lot of damage even from resisted hits so they can't switch in more than once.

Further more Zen Headbutt is superior too Psycho Cut as it has a bigger chance to ohko mega venusaur and, more importantly, let's you best clefable without any prior damage.

Other than that I completely agree, M-Medicham is the best wallbreaker in the tier, bar none.

Keldeo / Azumarill / Greninja are better offensive water types and Rotom-w / Suicune / Manaphy are better bulky water types.

You can be a blastoise fan, but he is not good.
Yes but Mega Blastoise hits harder than Rotom(Not sure about the latter two bulky pokemon). And isn't his coverage better than suicide? Tho he shouldn't be a spinner he can actually deal with Air ballon Aegislash. You must consider his coverage. He hits I believe every single type for neutral in some way or another. Tho as to what rank he should be im unsure but I don't think people should underrated him as much as they do. But he does need a fair deal of team support.

Hence why I said that it does not outclassed anything in these roles thus why it B- ranking. The fact it can do more than one job is good enough but it ca. Them both well in some regard is why its there to begin with. Never once did I argue that it should go up for being more than a spinner, but just saying it is more than one thus why it is there.
His spinner set is still a bulky attacker, removing RS for a 4th move (probably Ice Beam or Dragon Pulse) will make the set worse if anything.

Mega Blastoise isn't bad, it's just not really good enough to be a strong pick in OU as it's slow, vulnerable to all entry hazards and lacks recovery not to mention that it takes up your mega slot, which while not always an issue, does severely restrict team building. And don't even talk about Aqua Ring if you want people to take you seriously, just don't.

it's like saying that Mega Venusaur isn't that good in anything but stall teams because it takes up the mega slot.
Mega Venusaur pretty much isn't that good outside of stall tbh...

His spinner set is still a bulky attacker, removing RS for a 4th move (probably Ice Beam or Dragon Pulse) will make the set worse if anything.

Mega Blastoise isn't bad, it's just not really good enough to be a strong pick in OU as it's slow, vulnerable to all entry hazards and lacks recovery not to mention that it takes up your mega slot, which while not always an issue, does severely restrict team building. And don't even talk about Aqua Ring if you want people to take you seriously, just don't.

Mega Venusaur pretty much isn't that good outside of stall tbh...
Sorry, just mentioning options as they are what they are (be them all good or bad depends on the team or not I think personally) and as I said, I understand the issues, just never said that he was strong, just arguing his role more than anything. Didn't really care bout his rank or viability in OU to begin with, I just wanted that said and stated as it seemed unfair a bit.

And if I recall correctly, Mega Medicham was once A- due to it just hitting hard as crap but was dropped down to weak typing defensively and offensively and its not so stellar offenses. That's just what I recall from its demotion, but if you think its worthy of going up, I'd advise to keep those thoughts in mind while promoting it.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I'd like to make a post about a threat that seems to fall short of its full potential on this list: Tornadus

Let me first talk a bit about its strengths. As you might know, tornadus shines most of all because of two things. First of all there's its great speed stat which allows it to outspeed everything in OU that's slower than raikou, including prominent threats like the musketeers, lati@s, infernape and even gengar. What also helps with speed is its amazing ability: prankster. Add to this a movepool with okay supporting moves and you get a great supporter with prankster non-attacking moves like rain dance and taunt which allows it to, unlike other flying types, not be set-up fodder.

Another great move which might be underestimated on tornadus is tailwind. The only other viable prankster tailwinder currently in the tier is talonflame. However, even though talonflame has access to better STAB moves, tornadus has way higher attacking stats and also slightly better bulk. Next to that, tornadus has an actual fighting chance (hah, pun) against the rock-types in the tier with a powerful combo of air slash and superpower. Even without any attack investment, life orb superpower can OHKO ttar-mega after rocks.

Anyway, I think that, with a large enough niche in the current OU tier, tornadus fits perfectly in the B ranks. This is because, even though it works well on very offensive teams, its bulk is well below average in the OU tier, making it fall to strong non-super effective attacks in two times at most.

Let me just go through the description of the B rank and C rank to show that it is more deserving of the B than the C rank:

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche.

-->
Tornadus can very properly fill an offensive niche in that it is the most viable tailwind setter in the current OU metagame who has a fighting chance against many of the tier's fast pokemon.
Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers.

A stealth rock weakness and not-so-great bulk definitely cripple it, but it's definitely not set-up bait for dangerous sweepers as it can taunt all of them, even other prankster taunters like sableye, and can tailwind the turn it gets knocked out to turn the tables.
Pokemon who are partially outclassed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

Offensively there are obviously better choices. However, it stands out as a support pokemon who can definitely pack a punch and can check many of the fast threats in the current metagame very well.
C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are typically inferior to Pokemon in the above ranks.

As said before, tornadus is a pokemon unlike any other and is not inferior to any particular pokemon in an above rank. With its prankster ability there are very few pokemon who can prevent tornadus from getting up a tailwind, rain dance or wreck up some shit.
Thundurus might seem like the better choice as it has a better typing and access to thunder wave, but it misses tailwind and has hammer arm instead of superpower, missing him the KO on many important threats and giving him a less-than-helpful speed drop. Tailwind is just as good as thunder wave in many cases, with the next pokemon not just being able to revenge kill the threat that would otherwise be twaved, but also giving it double speed for a couple of turns, making outspeeding even + scarfers a possibility.

Some calcs:
0 Atk Life Orb Tornadus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 354-421 (87.6 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 296-354 (73.2 - 87.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Life Orb Tornadus Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 278-328 (86 - 101.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Tornadus Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 380-450 (117.6 - 139.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tornadus-T has simply better stats, better speed, regenerate is also a great ability, Tornadus-i is not worth it

Bulk up defiant is maybe the only thing that he has over his therian form, and iirc Flying gem is not released in BW, so i don't even think that could work.

Tornadus-T doesn't have Prankster. It's also slower than Greninja (by, get this, ONE point) and OHKOed. Tornadus-I can at least set up Tailwind or Rain Dance against lead Greninja, Sableye, or even Thundurus with HP Ice since said Thundurus is slower than Tornadus-I by one point, It can also set up against Choice Scarfers.

Tornadus-I can support its teammates really well with Prankster Rain Dance and Tailwind, since few Pokemon can afford to take its attacks (Hurricane + Superpower), and it can also use Taunt so it can stop Ferrothorn, the Deoxys forms, etc. Also, Tornadus-I has higher attacking stats than its counterpart. The BU + Defiant set is horrible since Flying Gem hasn't been released yet and Bisharp does it better thanks to Sucker Punch and a Steel-typing. I do agree that it's mostly outclassed, but I think C rank is fine for it.

Tornadus-T has simply better stats, better speed, regenerate is also a great ability, Tornadus-i is not worth it

Bulk up defiant is maybe the only thing that he has over his therian form, and iirc Flying gem is not released in BW, so i don't even think that could work.
Tornadus doesn't even need an item to go physical. He also has Prankster Taunt and stronger attacking stats and can also afford to go mixed if it wants to use a Life Orb. Like it's winged counterpart, Tornadus-I functions as a great lead with the aforementioned Prankster Taunt, Knock Off and U-turn and hits hard with Acrobatics. It is also exceptional at defeating Chanseys that do not carry Thunder Wave. A B- rank seems good for it since it is Stealth Rock weak, has a lack of recovery and is slightly outclassed by Tornadus-T in some ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)