Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about the way that damage boosts are calculated. Do the boosts stack, or are they all added in separately?

Let me explain what I mean. Let's say you have a Choice Banded Conkeldurr using Mach Punch. Mach Punch has a base power of 40, but it receives power bonuses from STAB (50%) and the Choice Band (50%). Is the effective base power calculated like this?

40 x 1.5 x 1.5 = 90

Or like this?

40 + (.5 x 40) + (.5 x 40) = 80

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I have a question about the way that damage boosts are calculated. Do the boosts stack, or are they all added in separately?

Let me explain what I mean. Let's say you have a Choice Banded Conkeldurr using Mach Punch. Mach Punch has a base power of 40, but it receives power bonuses from STAB (50%) and the Choice Band (50%). Is the effective base power calculated like this?

40 x 1.5 x 1.5 = 90

Or like this?

40 + (.5 x 40) + (.5 x 40) = 80
The first option.

what about nature and evs?
Zapdos actually prefers to be physically defensive in this metagame to fulfill its role as one of the only two hard counters to Mega Pinsir in the tier, so unless you have a specific reason to be specially defensive, 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD is the best spread.

Zapdos actually prefers to be physically defensive in this metagame to fulfill its role as one of the only two hard counters to Mega Pinsir in the tier, so unless you have a specific reason to be specially defensive, 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD is the best spread.
The reason would be the fact that I would be running a phisically defensive Mega Venusaur... Does that make sense?

The reason would be the fact that I would be running a phisically defensive Mega Venusaur... Does that make sense?
That doesn't really answer his point unless you have another solid Mega Pinsir counter. Physically defensive or no, Mega Pinsir is going to blow through MVenu like it's made of delicious, delicious candy.

That doesn't really answer his point unless you have another solid Mega Pinsir counter. Physically defensive or no, Mega Pinsir is going to blow through MVenu like it's made of delicious, delicious candy.
I am thinking about an offensive swampert... That could handle M Pinsir, right?

I am thinking about an offensive swampert... That could handle M Pinsir, right?
Offensive Swampert is shit, as is Swampert. And no, it cannot.
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Swampert: 271-319 (67 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 Obviously OHKOes.

Most of those aren't outspeeding a +1 CharX, even with a scarf
Yea I miss read that, I forgot about the +1.

So if I add the +1, I say Terrkion out speeds and Flyon with Zard X have to settle for a Speed tie. ( If both have +1 speed )

(The need to be holding Scarf's)

So is there much of a point in running Gengar over Aegislash? I can think of much of a reason besides speed.
They accomplish different role. Aegislash can wallbreak, toxic stall, and so on. Gengar can run a scarf set, sup-disable... Run whichever one benefits you team more, but in this metagame Aegislash is usually the better choice because speed isn't such an issue when it comes to priority.

They accomplish different role. Aegislash can wallbreak, toxic stall, and so on. Gengar can run a scarf set, sup-disable... Run whichever one benefits you team more, but in this metagame Aegislash is usually the better choice because speed isn't such ean issue when it comes to priority.
I've never been q fan of sub disable gengar because you must be certain that they can't switch moves. Scarfed Gengar imho it just doesn't hit what it needs to hard enough(I could just be using it against the wrong things). It seems Aegislash Is better.

I've never been q fan of sub disable gengar because you must be certain that they can't switch moves. Scarfed Gengar imho it just doesn't hit what it needs to hard enough(I could just be using it against the wrong things). It seems Aegislash Is better.
Gengar is a really useful utility attacker with sets such as SubTaunt, which is fantastic against stall, SubWoW, which is obviously great against physical attackers, and SubDisable, which is just annoying in general. It's also much, much faster than Aegislash, which is incredibly useful. Overal, while Aegislash is much better in general, Gengar is still good and has unique advantages that make it more than worth using.

I'm looking for a Pokemon with decent HP and SpDef, which I want to run with 1 phazing move and 3 physical attacking moves. It can be slow or fast, that doesn't matter. I was thinking Tyranitar (non-Mega, since I'm already running Mega-Blastoise), but was wondering what other options there are.

Blastoise-Mega / Aegislash / Tyranitar don't cover each other's weaknesses too well, and Sandstorm really hurts Blastoise-Mega's survivability since he can't hold Leftovers, and he has no recovery moves.

Some things I haven't tried out yet:
Bulky Physical Kyu-B
Bulky Heatran (but he's a special attacker)
Assault Vest Hippodown without Sand (but he can't use Roar)
Bulky Latias (but she's a special attacker)
Bulky Zapdos (but he's a special attacker, and I already have a Thundurus-I on the team)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know my Shiny Value, what do I do with it, exactly? :P

I'm looking for a Pokemon with decent HP and SpDef, which I want to run with 1 phazing move and 3 physical attacking moves. It can be slow or fast, that doesn't matter. I was thinking Tyranitar (non-Mega, since I'm already running Mega-Blastoise), but was wondering what other options there are.

Blastoise-Mega / Aegislash / Tyranitar don't cover each other's weaknesses too well, and Sandstorm really hurts Blastoise-Mega's survivability since he can't hold Leftovers, and he has no recovery moves.
Specially Defensive Hippowdon?

It can have Sand Force instead of Sand Stream if you wanna avoid sand.

Bulky Physical Kyu-B
Bulky Zapdos (but he's a special attacker, and I already have a Thundurus-I on the team)
You could try Azumarill, but its only phazing move is Perish Song. >~>; Otherwise, Gastrodon is a nice option; it has access to Yawn.

You could try Azumarill, but its only phazing move is Perish Song. >~>; Otherwise, Gastrodon is a nice option; it has access to Yawn.
Oh I think I found one I like! Virizion does a great job resisting Blastoise / Aegislash weaknesses, has base 129 SpDef and decent HP, and learns great physical attacks. Gets Roar too.

Edit: Virizion is really fun. Played a few games just now with it and went 4/4. Recorded the 2nd onward:
2: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-113544214
3: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-113545466 (the Roars, lol)
4: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-113547727 (overestimated Virizion's bulk with +4 Def, but Blastoise salvaged the game)

Last edited:

Bulky Physical Kyu-B
Rhyperior is a decent option.

What are the mechanics of the current OU ladder? And particularly, is the ladder sensitive to the repeated use of one team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)