AP Exams

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Calc AB - 5

I didn't study at all. Honestly when I was taking the test, it just felt... Really easy. Yay, I knocked out my requirements for one class and I'm still going to college for 5+ years because I'm an engineering major and live in California...

breh

強いだね
Fives on Mechanics, Euro, and Chem. I'm fine with that; I was worried about Mechanics since I thought I totally fucked up the easiest FRQs in existence but I guess I didn't do that badly.

I really got what I actually was hoping for, I never thought I would've passed the AP Japanese exam! It was easier than I thought.

I am currently taking AP Calculus and AP Government. I'm not worried about Government at all, but I think calculus might be a problem.

Calc AB - 5

I didn't study at all. Honestly when I was taking the test, it just felt... Really easy. Yay, I knocked out my requirements for one class and I'm still going to college for 5+ years because I'm an engineering major and live in California...
You get FIVE years to do engineering? Shit lucky son. I have to take so much shit in FOUR years. ;-;

Also grats to everyone who did well on their APs!

*bumping this thread due to me not thinking it's worth it to make another thread, my bad if I shouldn't have bumped it*

AP tests are coming very quick, how many are you taking and which ones?

Also, do you guys think it is worth taking an AP class/test if it will not help you in college with what you plan on majoring in?

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's worth taking it to either:
  • help you get into a college
  • get out of a gen ed requirement
  • get a particular grade if your school awards A's for 5s or whatever

APUSH, APEL, Bio, CompSci. Not even past the 1970s in APUSH studying. This is going to be a fun month.

I don't know whether I should be happy or sad that my school doesn't accept my calculus score. I don't want to take calculus again, but I don't want to get completely screwed over in a higher level math in my first semester. Out of bio, comp sci, and calculus; comp sci is going to be my biggest focus.

I have: eng lit, bc calc, compsci, chem, both physics c tests, and I'm retaking art history because my college only takes 5s.

Other than reteaching myself all of art history in under two weeks, the only real studying I'll need to do is for the 3 science tests.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
For those that are in high school thinking "eh, they only count for like a couple credits in college, if I only take one or two it won't help any" OMG NO THE OPPOSITE.

As someone who is so extremely close to graduating college, I'm so glad I was able to have 2 of my AP courses count as credits (History and English), they're saving me from having to go a whole other semester since I should be able to squeeze out the last few credits I need over the summer.

Also, for those in a foreign language class, STICK WITH IT. Most colleges do a thing called "retro credits," where you can test into a higher-level language course once in college, and if you pass the higher-level course, you get all the credits that you would have gotten had you taken all the language courses up until then + the credits for the course you test into, so I was able to effectively bypass having to take 16 credits thanks to French, which is a total of like 5 classes in college.

It really adds up, even if it's "only" like 6 credits in total. That's two whole classes you don't have to take.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Woodchuck the apush test has MAYBE five questions of 1980-present and its all pretty simple stuff if you know basic history ("what happened in tehran in 1979" "did bill clinton get a blowjob or a handjob" etc), so i wouldnt worry too much about that.

in a similar boat to moonbound: APES, Psych, Comp Sci, Eng Lit, Bio, Physics C (both), and Euro. Absolutely don't need all or probably most of these for college but i took them because i wanted to be class valedictorian and taking the ap exam gets you exempted from the final in my school system. yoloing them all except comp sci and physics

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
taking 5 ap classes and only 4 tests, because fuck enviro, no one takes it anyway

apush, aplac, ap spanish lang/cult, ap stats

wish they had an ap linear algebra or ap discrete test, idt my credits will transfer =(

I'm most worried about ap spanish tbh, especially given that it's like 18 different sections and the part where you have to prepare a 2 minute speech off the spot in spanish in 4 minutes is just like kill me now please

Sophomore taking AP World History. I feel like I've learned nearly nothing during this year, which is making me pretty anxious about the test. This lack of learning is due to the constant cheating on my part, but what are ya gonna do I guess. Any tips for the test?

Next year I'll be in APUSH, and APstats which shouldn't be too bad.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man, I wish I had found this thread earlier, would have been a huge help.

I've recently been self-studying for the AP Chemistry exam (I'm in 10th grade; my school doesn't really offer AP courses to anybody until 11th grade, as our AP US History course starts at grade 10 and lasts for two years.) I'm not actually taking the course at school, but I AM taking the typical Honors level High School chemistry course, so I do have some background. Obviously I've put in a lot (noooot enough) of effort and time for this, but it would definitely help if some experienced people have any tips for just taking the test in general; anything to watch out for, and any topics to know more solidly than others? (The test format has changed since last year, however, and it's pretty different.) I'm hoping to get a 5, because my target school only accepts a 5. Pre-gridding was fun; I was pretty much one of the only sophomores in a room full of Juniors and Seniors, and I had no idea what I was doing. Oh, well.

Next year I'll be overloading; planning on taking AP Biology, APUSH, AP Comp Sci, AP LangComp, and AP Calc BC. Should be fun. In my Senior year, I'll be taking AP Physics C, AP Macroecenomics, AP Language and Literature, AP Stats, AP Euro, and AP Spanish Literature and Culture. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

And yeah AP's are really worth it. I'm asian so naturally we have our network of asian families and Harvard graduates; my parents have a friend whose son took ~11 APs during his High School career and jumped right into 2nd semester of Sophomore year in college; it really cuts time and cost, if you can handle it. Totally worth the 92$ per test omfg >.>

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Thank god for AP's since it easily shaved off a year of college for me (4 instead of 5). I don't know if the academics always matched in terms of rigor, but especially for the humanities subjects where you don't want to take a broad survey in college anyways, AP's were definitely worth the time. In many ways I found a boatload of AP's much harder because you have much less room to breathe than in college.

Electrolyte, I had a similar crazy schedule my Junior year of HS. I will warn you now that AP's are a terrible way to play misery poker (i.e. I'm smarter because I take more AP's than you.) Other than that go knock yourself out if you like the subjects because regular HS classes suck.

breh

強いだね
And yeah AP's are really worth it. I'm asian so naturally we have our network of asian families and Harvard graduates; my parents have a friend whose son took ~11 APs during his High School career and jumped right into 2nd semester of Sophomore year in college; it really cuts time and cost, if you can handle it. Totally worth the 92$ per test omfg >.>
Yeah, agreeing with this sentiment; AP classes get you out of a lot of shit in college. As a result of APs that I took, I pretty much had the ability to ignore a lot of my school's gen ed requirements and I currently have junior standing (as a freshman) because of the fuckton of units that those APs translated into, which means that I can sign up for my classes before most people, which means that I can actually get the classes I need to graduate and not waste quarters.

I have a real shot of graduating in three years if I want to try hard enough. If I wasn't a lazy fuck I could have taken French AP (instead of saying "fuck it I want an easy senior year") and gotten rid of 4 quarters of language, too.

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Sophomore taking AP World History. I feel like I've learned nearly nothing during this year, which is making me pretty anxious about the test. This lack of learning is due to the constant cheating on my part, but what are ya gonna do I guess. Any tips for the test?

Next year I'll be in APUSH, and APstats which shouldn't be too bad.
Don't cheat next time? There's not much I can offer you besides that, if you wanted to do well on the AP exam you should have put some effort into learning the material over the course of the year. "What are ya gonna do" is be honest in your classwork and put actual effort into school, or else take the bad grade on the AP test that you earned. cheating is for scuzzballs.

Moralizing being done with, since AP World is basically the last exam of the year, you do have some time left (2.5 weeks) to study and prepare. It's been two years since I took the test, but usually the essays are structured in a way that the DBQ is from the 20th century, one of the essays is from ancient history (till about the renaissance), and one is from the period in between the renaissance and world war I. They also try to get many world regions in there—so basically, cover as much as possible. If you have at least a basic outline of world history and know the RUBRIC for the DBQ (1 point for thesis, 1 point for grouping into 3 appropriate categories, 1 point for analyzing bias in a document, 1 point for suggesting an additional document which could be helpful, 3 points for using all documents to support argument and correctly interpreting them) you can usually BS a 6 or 7 on it. The others are much harder to BS if you don't know jack shit. I seem to remember the Ottoman Empire being tested with disproportionate strength but beyond that I can't help with the multiple choice. I'm a history buff myself, so I didn't have to study for the AP World exam, so you'll have to get cramming tips from others—but one thing i can say is start now.

I've recently been self-studying for the AP Chemistry exam (I'm in 10th grade; my school doesn't really offer AP courses to anybody until 11th grade, as our AP US History course starts at grade 10 and lasts for two years.) I'm not actually taking the course at school, but I AM taking the typical Honors level High School chemistry course, so I do have some background. Obviously I've put in a lot (noooot enough) of effort and time for this, but it would definitely help if some experienced people have any tips for just taking the test in general; anything to watch out for, and any topics to know more solidly than others? (The test format has changed since last year, however, and it's pretty different.) I'm hoping to get a 5, because my target school only accepts a 5. Pre-gridding was fun; I was pretty much one of the only sophomores in a room full of Juniors and Seniors, and I had no idea what I was doing. Oh, well.

Next year I'll be overloading; planning on taking AP Biology, APUSH, AP Comp Sci, AP LangComp, and AP Calc BC. Should be fun. In my Senior year, I'll be taking AP Physics C, AP Macroeconomics, AP Language and Literature, AP Stats, AP Euro, and AP Spanish Literature and Culture. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
wow that is only twelve AP exams. I'm white and I've taken 14. you have brought shame onto your family. Seppuku!

actually though, as toshi said, overloading APs for the sake of overloading APs is absolutely miserable and should never be done. I did it my senior year and though I'm glad i did (see my earlier post) if you don't have a similar reason then you are basically signing yourself up for misery. This year has been ridiculously stressful for me and the stress has basically made everything in my life less enjoyable. If you do have a good reason to be taking those courses though (or as was said you enjoy all those subjects—which i find hard to believe, fuck AP Lit, and it usually covers the same credit as AP LangComp anyways) then go get 'em tiger!

Honors chemistry can prepare you pretty well for some sections of the AP chemistry exam and very poorly for others. However, I can't think of a single topic in chemistry, except maybe stoichiometry, which is perfectly covered by Honors, so I hope you're not banking on that. You're probably going to be pretty good on things like the structure of the atom and formation of bonds, though you may want to study them a little.

Where you're really going to want to invest your time is equilibrium chemistry (in solutions), thermochemistry, and electrochemistry. These are pretty much the heaviest tested, most technical, hardest to BS portions of the AP Chemistry exam, and the ones least covered by (at least my) honors chem course. Fortunately, they're each also able to be boiled down to a couple of equations.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yo8nn7wouvwfyr/master_ap_chemistry.pdf

Electrolyte , study this thing. I took the AP Chem exam last year and got a 5... although I attribute that to my hard as fuck AP Chem class, in which only 3/30 people other than me got As, and a teacher that overprepared us so much that almost everyone who passed the class got 5s. I would say the test is easy but I have no reference point.

Still, that textbook pdf was my review material for the month or so leading up to the exam, and while it's not quite as complete as the textbook I actually used for most of the class, it should help you a lot in preparing for the test. I know only two people who took the AP Chem test after taking Honors instead of AP Chem, and they both got 5s (although our honors chem is taught by the ap chem teacher, so that may have helped).

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
i'm taking ap gov, physics b, calc ab, and language. not really worried about any of them. government is a common sense class, my physics teacher is great for the exam, i'm good at AP Lang exam stuff. calculus is a little tough but i still have 2 weeks and all i really need to do is practice a bit more to refresh my memory on application. hope to continue my history of 5s.

if anyone needs help or advice on the new ap bio exam cause i know it's still relatively new, hit me up and i'll try to pass on what i remember.

Took Environmental Science today, I'd be lucky to get a 3 or 4 because I didn't pay attention in class all year long and the teacher was pretty shitty to say the least. APUSH next week, I'm really hoping for a 5 because I know a lot of the material by heart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)