2014 April Friendly

Sad to hear about the domino effect on people. I guess you guys should play your 10 near the end of the day where you are more likely to battle people with higher ratings and make up for it.

I am currently 33-5, saving the last 2 for tomorrow. There is a lot more hax for me today like a mewtwo froze my yveltal with ice beam in 2 games and I never thawed out. Also been seeing alot more kangaskhan, I think my win rate against a team with mega kanga is only 50% at this rating...

I have done 40 battles so far and every single team has used Aegislash. 35 of them used Greninja, 33 of them had Kangaskhan, 32 of them Charizard and 28 of them used Mewtwo. This is really pretty boring so far, seeing the exact same shiny lineup over and over.... I also love how much they went on about checking for hacking and I keep seeing shiny Greninjas coming out of Duskballs and Ultra Balls. Venting complete... but I think I will wait for the next event.

The whole competition appears to be both fun and upsetting for me. Currently I'm around 13-06 and it's going good so far. I lost a lot at first because I made some stupid mistakes such as switching out to a Pokemon that is potentially OHKOed and mega evolving at the wrong timing. But at least I kept my footing for the most time. The prominent Megas (Charizard, Kangaskhan and Mawile) didn't really give me too problems, probably because they couldn't use appropriate prediction or moves to OHKO my Pokemon. But still, there are other non-megas that give me trouble due to high Base stats and abilities (tsk..Greninja & Talonflame). Here's the team I used (Moves are a secret!)

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Aggron @ Aggronite
Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Yvetal @ Life Orb
*Fun facts
-Yvetal has a Timid Nature, yet a 0 IV in Speed -_-
-Aggron lives so many super effective moves that nearly it's at 1-20 HP
-Too many instances where I could've give Garchomp a Focus Sash instead of Lum Berry (It costed me games!). At least it protected it from random Burns, Confusion, Sleep, etc (too minimal though).
-Some instances where I wished Mewtwo used some other item than a Mega stone so I can use it with Aggron to deal with Xerneas easier.

Battles Videos if anyone is interested:
FT4W-WWWW-WWW7-WSFX
N5FG-WWWW-WWW7-WSEN
6M5W-WWWW-WWW7-WSQR

Is there a legitimate way to "catch" a shiny starter in x and y?
Probably caught from Friend Safari where Starters can actually be caught with different Pokeballs. Also, a high chance to become shiny.
Or new breeding mechanics (Female can pass on Pokeball type) and Masuda method

Are you aware of the fact that mothers now pass down Pokeballs in gen 6 and its extremely likely someone just Masuda methoded or got lucky for it?
I actually was not aware of the pokeballs being passed down, but I do understand the various methods people try to get shiny pokemon. That is a LOT of lucky people. While there is a possibility, getting shiny versions takes a long long time. Myself for example, I have never obtained a shiny in my entire history of playing pokemon. I see more people with shiny pokemon than I see non shiny, so my odds would be towards cheats. Every single Greninja I have seen up to this point has been shiny for example, all 35... odds are against legit. Either way, people hacking is the least of my concern as I understand why someone wouldn't want to waste hours of their time to get something. Most of my disappointment comes from seeing the same line up over and over again. Well that and having two of my guys getting killed by a sheer cold.... but you can't do much about that and it will make well to add to my pokemon blooper reel.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thought I would jump into the conversation about this tournament. Kinda bummed I didn't know about this thread earlier.

Anyways, I had a pretty good Day 1 of the tournament. I went 17-3 with this team and I think I am sitting around 1700 right now.

Here's the team that I registered:

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

The first Pokemon I could think of to deal with the many legendaries that will be running around.

To put things into perspective of this Tyranitar's tanking capability:

252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 228-272 (56.4 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-296 (61.8 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 308-364 (76.2 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Yveltal Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 328-390 (81.1 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 280-332 (69.3 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah, basically walls most special attacking Pokemon right off the bat and can deal massive damage back thanks to Tyranitar's high base attack. Personally I run Sassy so that I can hit Ferrothorn, Aegislash (if I am burned), and Skarmory (mainly Ferro, only saw a couple Skarmory on Showdown, not on Wifi). I also hit Mawile that was switching in with the Fire Blast that made it easy to pick off by Rotom-W after Tyranitar went down to a Play Rough.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

This Garchomp is part of the Fairy/Steel/Dragon core that I have on the team and it is basically designed for dealing with Pranksters especially the ones that abuse Swagger + Foul Play. Garchomp can't get paralyzed by Thunder Wave and can basically can get a free Substitute and +2 boost in the 1v1 situation against a Klefki for example if it goes for Swagger. The Lum Berry also comes in handy of breaking Garchomp's Outrage confusion, but hasn't really happened yet in my battles. Only brought this guy a couple times today with mixed results.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Ah, the infamous Geomancy set and part of the Fairy/Steel/Dragon core I have on the team. I was blessed to get a 5 IV flawless Timid Xerneas from trading on Pokemon Facebook groups and Xerneas has definitely done work for winning games. Gotta have that Psyshock ready for Mega Venusaur.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 128 Def / 252 HP / 128 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Leech Seed

This Ferrothorn is part of the Fairy/Steel/Dragon core as well as the Grass/Fire/Water core that I happened to build on this team. Ferrothorn is my answer to Mega Kangaskhan, Rotom-W (sort of), and Xerneas. Gyro Ball will instantly knock out Xerneas especially if it has the Geomancy boost. Power Whip will pack a punch on Rotom-W. Protect is also nice for the couple times I ran into High Jump Kick users (looking at you, Medicham) and chuckling as they crashed themselves. Leech Seed has been pretty awesome to force switches.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Another shining star for my team on the Grass/Fire/Water core. I often lead with this Rotom-W and whenever I see a Xerneas on the other side, I instantly click "Trick" to swap items and there has been so many times I locked Xerneas into a two-turn Geomancy which allowed me to Volt Switch to my Xerneas to get a free Geomancy off. Other times, Rotom-W is one of my favorite scouts to find out enemy sets as well as pick off low-health enemy Pokemon with a Volt Switch or Hydro Pump. The Will-O-Wisp has come in handy quite a few times against Mega Mawile, Mega Kangaskhan, etc.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

And finally coming in to sweep in the late game or scout in the early game is my Talonflame. Part of the Grass/Fire/Water core on the team, it is basically designed to outspeed everything possible while using non-Flying moves (can outspeed Greninja and hit it with U-turn before it changes type) and for outspeeding other Talonflames in a 1v1 situation with Brave Birds. Talonflame also acts as insurance in case my opponent's Xerneas gets a Geomancy-boosted knockout. It was a toss-up between Tailwind and Sleep Talk. In hindsight, not really sure if Sleep Talk would've been more applicable than Tailwind, but who knows? Haven't faced any sleep inducers in the tournament yet.

Derp, I basically wrote an RMT. well. that was fun. Here's a battle recording I got from today's tournament matches and it was definitely one of my favorite matches that I played today: Y7ZW-WWWW-WWW7-WVQL. Very close and exciting match.

Fun things I saw today:
- A bat themed team (Gliscor, Gligar, Noivern, Golbat, Crobat, and Swoobat). Ended up facing Golbat, Gliscor, and Noivern in the actual and came out with the win.
- Shedinja being one of the three Pokemon I battled against for one of my opponents. Video code proof: PNUG-WWWW-WWW7-XW2V

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been doing ok with my OP lucky egg mewtwo (haven't actually used it that much), I'm at about 27-8. Frustratingly my losses have come from hax that have seen me winning otherwise. My last loss came from a mega mewtwo-y that got a crit on psystrike as I set up xernaes. I did the math and to roll that damage with a crit is a 5% chance...

Gotta agree with Mawile being a threat, as well as Aegislash. Most people lead with m-maw though because you need to m-evolve asap and can't switch with in usually, so I normally lead with rotom-h and volt switch as they switch out to gain momentum. Except for the time my opponent seemed to predict that and swords danced on me which sucked.

Anyway I'm rolling with Ferro, Mewtwo, Xern, M-Kang, Rotom-H and Ditto. Not a really creative team I know but whatever I'm just here to have fun. I seem to never use kang with all the other ferrothorn, aegislash and garchomp there are so in hindsight I really wish I had have used mewtwo-y as my mega and add in something like my own aegi, chomp, or maybe even something like focus sash gengar or azumarill

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Huh, weird, because I use my Kanga almost every game. That being said, Garchomp and Ferrothorn are assholes.

The hax fairy has not been smiling upon me this tournament, I'm at 20-7 atm, ~1750 rating; I'll play the next 13 matches in the morning. My latest loss came from Mega Kanga EQ crit on my Aegislash (never OHKOs without crit) so I couldn't kill it with Weakness Policy-boosted Sacred Sword and it proceeded to do a lot of damage to my team. Oh and the obligatory Klefki bullshit. Half of those losses were legitimate playing like shit though.

team is Mewtwo / Xern / Rotom-H / Aegislash / Kanga / Talonflame. Nothing original, I've actually not used Talonflame once yet.

Last edited:
Finished my second day (40 games) and finally made it into the 1800 bracket. This is my first online tourney so I wasn't aware that the battle box was locked and ended up with a few useless pokemon. What I would give to have my Rocky Helmet Chesnaught mega Kang counter. As expected MMawile and Xerneus doing work, unexpectedly, I almost never play my MewtwoX due to all the talonflames/fairies. The biggest surprise is how well my Scarfed Trick Rotom-W is doing, shuts down just about every single lead. I've won probably 15 of my games simply by tricking when they open with talon (which is probably every second game) and end up stealing either Weakness Policy from Aegislash or Power Herb from Xerneus and leaving them with choice. Xerneus wins most of my games as I was lucky enough to get HP Ghost to deal with Aegislash, it's a 1HKO but I invested the remaining points in def after 108 speed and full SPA so unless it's a fully invested physical attacker Aegislash, I can get the kill and take out whatever comes after due to 2x speed.

My ranking absolutely stinks in this "friendly" thanks to 3 main reasons: 1. team selection with absolutely awful synergy (this is my own fault, I know), 2. bad decision making (seems like me being away from XY competitive scene for a while really costs me here) and 3. rubbish luck like getting OHKO-ed by stuff like Sheer Cold on the opponent's first try or consecutive critical hits that the opponents get on me (only got like 1-2 criticals in my favour while my opponents have been on a critical roll against me -.-)

Think I'm way better off just preparing for the 2014 International Challenge May instead. Sigh :(

Mega Mawile has been the all-star of my team, once defeating a team of Xerneas, Yveltal and Mewtwo single-handedly. But what's really been helpful for me is Specs Rotom-H, who's able to eat up burns thrown at Mawile and do a good chunk of damage to Rotom-W with Volt Switch, or start spamming specs Overheat around like there's no tomorrow, which can, usefully, 2HKO Talonflame nearly always in my experience. Currently at around 26-14 with a rating of about 1650.

Had some fun losing this afternoon, to the team of Mega Ampharos, Hariyama and Tyranitar. There was another fellow using Machamp as well. Props given. Much better than the usual tedium.

Ying

2014 April Friendly Winner
friendlyday2.jpg
I'm at 36-4 (~1880 rating) after day 2. Didn't get any opponents above 1800 so far.
At one point I didn't get any opponents at all and after a while I ended up battling against someone with a 1499 rating.
Only gained 2 points for the win. xD

I actually was not aware of the pokeballs being passed down, but I do understand the various methods people try to get shiny pokemon. That is a LOT of lucky people. While there is a possibility, getting shiny versions takes a long long time. Myself for example, I have never obtained a shiny in my entire history of playing pokemon. I see more people with shiny pokemon than I see non shiny, so my odds would be towards cheats. Every single Greninja I have seen up to this point has been shiny for example, all 35... odds are against legit. Either way, people hacking is the least of my concern as I understand why someone wouldn't want to waste hours of their time to get something. Most of my disappointment comes from seeing the same line up over and over again. Well that and having two of my guys getting killed by a sheer cold.... but you can't do much about that and it will make well to add to my pokemon blooper reel.
Getting this shiny this game is not difficult, especially when back then we had Instacheck and Shiny Values.... (Which isn't hacking, but no longer possible).

All you had to do was find someone with a shiny value that matches the egg's shiny value.

Also, with cloning being possible in this gen, it's possible all of the greninjas you see are potentially clones of the same greninja, but utilized differently.

Sadly, you'll come across many Pokemon people research as "overpowered" in the current meta and constantly use them.

Sad to hear about the domino effect on people. I guess you guys should play your 10 near the end of the day where you are more likely to battle people with higher ratings and make up for it.

I am currently 33-5, saving the last 2 for tomorrow. There is a lot more hax for me today like a mewtwo froze my yveltal with ice beam in 2 games and I never thawed out. Also been seeing alot more kangaskhan, I think my win rate against a team with mega kanga is only 50% at this rating...
Flash, is this you? I'm reposting this because you apparently made a video of it with a code.

If it is, we're 1-1 against each other. You won early, then I got my revenge here.

Get back to me.

-James

Flash, is this you? I'm reposting this because you apparently made a video of it with a code.

If it is, we're 1-1 against each other. You won early, then I got my revenge here.

Get back to me.

-James
lol that's me! :P gg! Yeah, it was kind of surprising facing you a second time. I usually get nervous when I face someone again.

Anyway, I decided to end the tournament early since I lose like 30 rating for each loss and gain like 7 with each win. My final rating is 1896 with a ratio of either 46-8 or 47-7. I forgot.

edit: Oh yeah and here are some battle videos for the interested:

First Match with Nightmare: 4PGG-WWWW-WWW7-XQPH

What a 1800 rating battle is like: PHQG-WWWW-WWW7-XQZR

Facing a guy that was pretty decent with a standard team with not so standard sets. (a xerneas survived 2 of my scizors bullet punches I think): VUHG-WWWW-WWW7-XQPU

Last edited:
Well, I'm done. I have way too much of a hole to Special Aegislash and I'm losing too many points when I lose compared to winning. (lost 22 points to a 1700 player, ouch)

Final rating: 1750+, 32/10. Focus Miss doing its usual unreliability on a setup cost me 1800 possibly, oh well. I had fun.

Team: (and yes, I abused ubers because they allowed for it. I could've made better choices):

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Dark Aura, Quiet Nature
80 HP/some def/some special defense
Phantom Force (should've used Sucker Punch, I know)
Oblivion Wing
Psychic
Dark Pulse

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Fairy Aura, Modest Nature
6 HP/252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
Psychic
Geomancy
Moonblast
Focus Blast (yes, Focus Miss, ugh)

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y (probably should've used Petaya Berry on 2nd thought, oh well)
Pressure/Insomnia, Timid Nature
6 HP/252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
Ice Beam
Psystrike
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Gale Wings, Adamant Nature
6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Flare Blitz
Brave Bird
Quick Attack
Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Scrappy/Parental Bond, Jolly Nature
6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Return
Sucker Punch
Fake Out
Power Up Punch

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Huge Power, Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Atk/6 Sp. Def
Superpower
Belly Drum
Aqua Jet
Play Rough

I know, a stupid team that worked surprisingly well. It had issues with Special Aegislash all day, man do I have to find a way to deal with that thing, it's going around VGC like mad too.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZg6iQHFIdmjNsOOSKy8vCvvjnx5-U0v8 These were my best battles I think, I'll be uploading a LOL moment and my loss to Flash as a repost. Battles 4 and 7 in the list are the "bullshit" battles, if anyone's wondering.

Oh well, I'm happy. I usually don't do this well. For some reason I do much better in ubers than VGC, can't explain why. Maybe I'm just more familiar with the 'mons.

-James

I think I'm like 46-14 after tonight. I played the last 4 or so games bad and lost them because
I can't play video games at this hour.

I want to at LEAST have a score above 1800 when this is over,
but I'm going to need to formulate a game plan to beat guys who save Mega Kangarino as their last pokemon.
That will increase my chances for meeting that goal.
Hopefully...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)