Other Counter That Pokemon! (Final Battle Friday @ 12 PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I didn't nominate a Pokemon last round (I should have though, I wish Assault Vest Azu had been nominated) but I definitely will this round.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is a fantastic pick for Team 1 in my opinion. It gives the team access to Stealth Rock early in the project and greatly discourages U-turn from Greninja (taking 40% damage if it hits Ferrothorn with U-turn is definitely a deterrent). It can also force switches with Leech Seed and can recover with Protect. Breaking Dragpnite's Multiscale and providing Stealth Rock will put huge pressure on Team 1 to have a Defogger to make sure Nite can still wall Landorus. There are a few things to discuss though. Is Power Whip useful on this Pokemon instead of Gyro Ball? Is Lefties better than Rocky Helmet? These are things i'd like people to consider when talking about my nomination.

#triplepost

Anyways, here's my nomination (Sorry for the double post)

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 SDef / 252 HP / 44 Spd
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

While Specially Defensive Rotom-W may have fallen out of favor this generation, it's still quite an effective Pokemon. Since the opponent's Dragonite isn't running Lum Berry, Rotom-W actually is super helpful for Burning Dragonite and crippling it for the rest of the match. SpDef Rotom-W is also a really great counter to Greninja, taking all of its attack with ease. Finally, with Volt Switch, it actually forms a quite effective VoltTurn core with Lando-I, allowing it to keep momentum up, unlike other defensive walls. Oh also forgot to mention this, but the 44 Speed EVs are to make sure we outspeed Jolly Azumarill and Will-O-Wisp/Volt Switch it before it can Play Rough.

Overall, SpDef Rotom-W is a good answer to both our opponent's Pokemon that can form an effective VoltTurn core with Lando-I to keep momentum up.

Last edited:
Ferrothorn is certainly a good option for Team 1, it is the first thing I thought of as well. Dragonite isn't exactly a threatening Pokémon that needs to be checked, and Ferrothorn has Iron Barbs which is great for punishing U-turn from Greninja. It's also a solid switchin to Dragonite. It has some flaws though; Ferrothorn has even worse offensive presence than Dragonite, for example Team 2 can respond with something like Breloom. This would be terrible for Team 1, Breloom can switch in on Ferrothorn pretty much all the time and Spore is very crippling (you can try to absorb the sleep with Ferrothorn but then it will just Drain Punch you). Also, picking a Stealth Rock user that early, imo, means that it needs to be one with notable offensive presence. Ferrothorn isn't exactly something that can reliably keep Stealth Rock on the field really, since Team 2 can respond with the proper hazard remover, for example bulky Rapid Spin Excadrill means that if Team 1 wants to keep Stealth Rock up they also need it to pair it with a spinblocker that isn't Aegislash or Gengar, so you're pretty much left being forced to use something like Jellicent. That, or just give up on having Stealth Rock on the field all the time, which really is too bad since that's how Landorus can probably break though Team 2.

It's still a cool pick though, it will pull its weight and right now it gives Team 1 an advantage over Team 2, but I think it might be too easily abusable by Team 2 as well.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't sleep on this little guy

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic

U-Turn Landorus is worn down fairly easily by its own Life Orb + U-Turn combination and by Stealth Rock constantly chipping away at its HP, making a Wish passer an extremely appetizing option. Vaporeon doesn't just pass off huge Wishes though, it also makes Greninja's Water move more or less useless until Vaporeon is removed. This particular Vaporeon is carrying Toxic which is the best status to have on that particular Dragonite since it basically neuters any survivability it thought it had. Not to mention that Vaporeon beats Dragonite 1 on 1 because D-Nite isn't carrying a status of its own. This also means Vaporeon doesn't need Heal Bell at this point. Downsides to this are little offensive presence except the annoying burn chance from Scald, that we might want Heal Bell later on down the line, and the team will NEED a status sponge. Other than that, This Vaporeon seems pretty solid overall.

Last edited:
Here's my nomination:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Defensive Slowbro only takes 34-40% from Greninja's U-turn, so Leftovers and Regenerator will recover off the damage. Obviously, Slowbro shits on Dragonite too. I might change the last move to Psychic, Toxic, or Fire Blast if people think any of those would be better. There are also several other physical threats which Slowbro discourages Team 2 from picking. Since Team 1 already has U-turn Landorus, Slowbro makes a great partner since Regenerator is a momentum-grabbing ability.

Edit: I changed Psychic to Thunder Wave because it discourages offensive threats from switching in against Slowbro.

Last edited:
Here's my nomination:

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Psychic

Defensive Slowbro only takes 34-40% from Greninja's U-turn, so Leftovers and Regenerator will recover off the damage. Obviously, Slowbro shits on Dragonite too. I might change the last move to Thunder Wave, Toxic, or Fire Blast if people think any of those would be better. There are also several other physical threats which Slowbro discourages Team 2 from picking. Since Team 1 already has U-turn Landorus, Slowbro makes a great partner since Regenerator is a momentum-grabbing ability.
I'd run Fire Blast over Psychic only because it makes us less deadweight against a future Bisharp pick which absolutely destroys this set. Also gives us a move Greninja can't switch in on for free.

In the interest of keeping up offensive pressure, I propose:

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadowball
- Baton Pass

Sylveon threatens to 2HKO Dragonite, and OHKO Greninja outright. The best Dragonite and Greninja can do in return is 3HKO with Earthquake and Hydro Pump respectively. Neither of these two Pokemon can switch in directly, or beat Sylveon 1v1. Psyshock & Shadow Ball offer superior coverage, hitting potential threats later on to this team, such as Mega Venusaur & Aegislash. This set is hard stopped by Special Walls who resist Psyshock, such as Heatran, Baton Pass gives us the added advantage of scouting the potential switch.

EDIT: I have withdrawn my Sylveon submission, please see my new submission below.

Last edited:
Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Evs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Psycho Boost
-Superpower
-Ice Beam
-Stealth Rock

Dragonite may hard counter Landorus, but team 1 can keep the momentum with U-turn. To keep that momentum, team 1 wants something that threatens both members of team 2 so far. Offensive Deoxys-S does that. Stealth Rock places pressure on Dragonite, making it easy to KO if team 1 doesn't let it Roost. In general, if team 1 chooses Deoxys-S, it chooses for an offensive playstyle that tries to threaten as much pokemon on team 2 as possible.

I like Halycons Ferrothorn as well. It moves team 1's playstyle in a different direction, but it does a fantastic job countering both Dragonite and Greninja.

@ Leftovers
EV's: 252spatk/248HP/8atk
Nature: Mild
-Ice Beam
-Fusion Bolt
-Earth Power
-Substitute

Your standard bulky sub cube. This set takes complete advantage of the fact that Greninja can't hit it too hard so that it can set up and break Dragonite + Greninja. Unlike the scarf set I posted, the opponent can't just easily predict an Ice Beam/Fusion Bolt and switch around because sub Kyurem-Black can switch its moves around. The reason why you would run this would be to get rid of said Greninja+Dragonite since they both beat Landorus-I 1 on 1. I also like how Kyurem-Black doesn't need Stealth Rocks to completely OHKO Dragonite. This allows for more depth imo since you don't need to rely on defensive mons like Ferrothorn that can break your momentum just so you can set up Stealth Rocks, and even then they can possibly have Defog/Rapid Spin. Another thing to note about this set is that it outspeeds the Dragonite set posted and OHKOs it with Ice Beam. Earth Power is just coverage against Rotom-Wash, though you probably already knew that lol.

Last edited:
Why scarf cube? I mean, since team 2 knows this guy is scarfed, they will just switch greninja, so i think lefties would be better in this case, just for the freedom of switching moves. Could just use the necessary speed to outspeed certain threats and a little more bulk.

I will give my two cents worth here
1) Ferrothorn - Takes next to nothing from D-Nite and can either set up Stealth Rock or Leech Seed for recovery. Rocky helmet and Iron Barbs punishes U-turn from Greninja, which when combined with Life Orb and Stealth Rock means it takes about 40 - 50% that turn alone. The most Greninja can do is Ice Beam which 3HKO Ferro (but you can Gyro Ball back to kill it). Great pick imo.

2) Vaporeon - Takes almost nothing from both D-Nite and Greninja (Extrasensory 3HKOes but you can Wish+Protect). Can also provide Wish support to teammates. Lack of offensive presence and have to rely on Toxic for damage are the only real cons for this thing. (Toxic ruins D-Nite though). Ok pick.

3) Deoxys-S - Might have some potential as a cleaner late game but picking it this early is just asking for it to be Counter Teamed and becomes dead weight. (I know you gave it Stealth Rock but if people as much as sneeze on it while it sets up Stealth Rock, it's a goner). Not that great imo.

4) Kyurem-B - risky as Ice Beam has a 41% chance to 2HKO you (guaranteed with Stealth Rock). Yes, with a scarf, you outspeed Greninja later but Fusion Bolt doesn't even OHKO an Ice-type Greninja after one round of Life Orb. Not great I think.

With that, I will nominate Sylveon.
Item : Leftovers
EV: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpD

Moves:
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Sylveon can take all of Greninja's move and Wish + Protect or Hyper Voices it to oblivion since Hydro Pump only has an 8.2 % chance to 2HKO with Stealth Rock and Leftovers (you can protect to increase your chance of surviving. while Hyper Voice does 63 - 74.8 % to a non-Dark Greninja. Sylveon only takes 25.7 - 30.3% from D-Nite's Earthquake and can Hyper Voice or Wish on it. Heal Bell is there to cure Sylveon or its teammates of status (this can be replaced with a different move if not needed). The con of this set is similar to Vaporeon, which is the lack of a threatening offensive presence although Pixilate Fairy-type attacks hurt more than Scald (you might still want that 30% hax chance to burn).

EDIT: Removed the 12 Speed and adds it to HP and SpD. This set gets walled to hell and back by Aegislash / Mega Scizor / Mega Mawile so any thoughts on Baton Pass over Heal Bell?

Last edited:
With that, I will nominate Sylveon.
EV: 244 HP/ 252 Def / 12 Spd

Moves:
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

12 Speed is to outspeed 0 Speed Tyranitar. Sylveon can take all of Greninja's move and Wish + Protect or Hyper Voices it to oblivion since Hydro Pump only has an 8.2 % chance to 2HKO with Stealth Rock and Leftovers (you can protect to increase your chance of surviving. while Hyper Voice does 63 - 74.8 % to a non-Dark Greninja. Sylveon only takes 25.7 - 30.3% from D-Nite's Earthquake and can Hyper Voice or Wish on it. Heal Bell is there to cure Sylveon or its teammates of status (this can be replaced with a different move if not needed). The con of this set is similar to Vaporeon, which is the lack of a threatening offensive presence although Pixilate Fairy-type attacks hurt more than Scald (you might still want that 30% hax chance to burn).
While your submission is OK, you should really avoid speed creep in this project unless you're outspeeding a max speed (either neutral or bonus nature) threat since you can just get speed crept back and basically waste those EVs.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ferrothorn:
Exactly what Tomahawk9 said above. Great pick, just bad timing. Definitely a great option later down the line when we know what team 2s Rapid Spin / Defog user is.

Rotom-W:
A solid choice. Only thing that gets to both Lando and this is Abomasnow who isn't common at all and doesn't look like a fit on team 2 at the moment. Provides Volt-Turn with Lando which is nifty. We will need a switch in for AV Conkeldurr if this is picked since we can only offensively check it at this point.

Vaporeon:
Well, I will let you guys discuss my nomination instead of repeating myself.

Specs Sylveon:
Another solid nomination. I can see a very dangerous Mega being picked to set up on this if it locks into Hyper Voice though so we must be prepared to deal with it in the future; Baton Pass somewhat remedies this so good call on your part. Forcing a mega out of team 2 early is not a bad option by any means though. Speed creep is useless in this project so filling out HP is probably the better option (HolyAvatar ninjaed me).

Deoxys-S:
It has the same problem as Ferrothorn in that you don't want Stealth Rock on the team this early for obvious reasons. This is worse than Ferrothorn though because a very likely candidate for team 2, in Aegislash, hard walls your set. Team 2 will more than likely be something along the lines of Dragonite / Greninja / Steel / Fairy / Hazard Removal / Filler with the way it looks and Aegi is a very likely candidate for the steel slot.

Scarf Kyurem-B:
Looks good, although revealing a scarfer this early is not ideal. We should hold off on this one until team 2 picks their steel type

Support Sylveon:
Was a very good one as well but remove the speed. It will be interesting to see what steel this forces out of team 2 if it gets picked.

Good show so far people

While your submission is OK, you should really avoid speed creep in this project unless you're outspeeding a max speed (either neutral or bonus nature) threat since you can just get speed crept back and basically waste those EVs.
The speed EVs don't really matter, but they let Sylveon out run minimum speed Tyranitar and other base 60 Speed Pokemon, which are mainly walls. The drop in bulk from losing 3 HP is negligible. The main reason I really chose the set, is that, Sylveon deters Team 2 from running something like Mega Venusaur, which could become a problem for Team 1 depending on what our team options become later on.

Sylveon limits Team 2 from running a solid offensive Pokemon that can switch in safely to our other proposed sets; Pokemon, which may also threaten Landorus. The sheer power of Spec Sylveon pretty much forces Team 2 to pick another Pokemon that can both safely check/counter not only Sylveon itself, but also Landorus thanks to Baton Pass (lol good luck).

Let's remember that Team 2 already runs two Pokemon that threaten Landorus, if we can limit that number indirectly by forcing them to run a wall, we're creating a chance for Landorus to switch in safely and wreak havoc.

Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Whilst maybe the best set to counter both Pokemon on Team 2, it gives Team 2 a wider range of choice for their third Pokemon. This set is countered by Pokemon such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard X & Y, Mega Heracross and, let us not forget, Mega Venusaur - who fears nothing from Ferrothorn (there are more, but these are the hardest Pokemon I can think of to switch into after they gain a free switch). Ladorus, certainly threatens these Pokemon but it doesn't really get a chance to even switch in safely, after their free switch.
Rotom-W:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 SDef / 252 HP / 44 Spd
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Same boat as Ferrothorn, there is nothing wrong with this sets ability to check both Pokemon on Team 2, but it opens us up to offensive Pokemon that can switch in on Rotom-W "safely". I say safely since a good number won't like the passive burn damage and attack drop it creates. Pokemon that switch in safely to Rotom-W and apply pressure to Landorus are; Latios, Latias, AV Conkeldurr and Mega Venusaur. Once again these Pokemon don't check or counter our Landorus, but they can easily get in on Rotom-W.
Vaporeon:
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic

Vaporeon provides great team support, through Wish, and the combination of Scald & Toxic allow it to hurt a number of switch-ins available to Team 2. Like the last two proposed team members, Vaporeon provides great defensive synergy but no offensive presence. This provides teams 2 with options such as; Mega Venusaur, Mega Abomasnow (which can OHKO Landorus with Ice Shard) and Thundurus-I.
Slowbro:
Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Same deal as the other three Pokemon, great utility/wall against Dragonite & Greninja, but countered hard by offensive threats that put pressure on Landorus. Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, Mega Manectric and Raikou all come to mind.
Deoxys-S
Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
Evs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Psycho Boost
-Superpower
-Ice Beam
-Stealth Rock

WreckDra has said all that I need to say, but let me add that this set cannot switch in to either Dragonite or Greninja.
Sylveon
Sylveon
EV: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 SpD
Moves:
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Great team support as I had alluded to earlier with Team 1's other proposed Team Members, but provides Team 2 with too many offensive options that can Landorus can't counter by switching in directly. Pokemon such as Heatran, Talonflame, Mega Charizard X & Y, Mega Scizor and Mega Mawille.
Kyurem-B
Kyurem-B@ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252spe/252spatk/4spdef
Nature: Hasty
-Ice Beam
-Fusion Bolt
-Dragon Claw
-Earth Power

I feel that running a scarf on Kyurem-B isn't the best option available for it, at this stage. It provides the opponent too many opportunities to switch in and set up on a choice-locked move. I would suggest running a set with a bit more bulk, in fact, the Substitute Kyurem-B set seems to be much more difficult for Team 2 to counter alongside Landorus. Running a Rash nature using Substitute / Ice Beam / Fusion Bolt / Earth Power, with 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe EVs, allows it to OHKO both Dragonite and Greninja, whilst giving Kyurem-B more bulk.
EDIT: Included Kyurem-B thoughts

Last edited:
Reprobate, I see your point about the offensive threat that a defensive Sylveon opens up to which is why I'm asking for more opinions on Baton Pass over Heal Bell. Specs Sylveon has one thing I dislike about a Choice user - it's really slow and needs to eat 2 hits to attack once (one while switching in and the other when you are outsped. Couple that with hazards it might not last very long). I do acknowledge its offensive prowess, though.
Also, I believe Team 1 is picking its third member after this so we can think of limiting the other team's options with that pick later.

Thanks for the input, Random Passerby. I was not aware of the fact that we were picking two members for Team 1 (how observant of me). Hence, why I was so adamant on an offensive partner to Landorus, my apologies all. Looking back on the proposed sets, each provide great support to the team we will be creating to combat Team 2. Currently I like the look of running a Sub Kyurem-B set I had suggested earlier (over scarf) along side a support Pokemon such as Clefable. Let us wait and see what comes of this rounds voting, I still hope my input in naming offensive counters to each set helps us in choosing a third member for Team 1.

The speed EVs don't really matter, but they let Sylveon out run minimum speed Tyranitar and other base 60 Speed Pokemon, which are mainly walls. The drop in bulk from losing 3 HP is negligible. The main reason I really chose the set, is that, Sylveon deters Team 2 from running something like Mega Venusaur, which could become a problem for Team 1 depending on what our team options become later on.

Sylveon limits Team 2 from running a solid offensive Pokemon that can switch in safely to our other proposed sets; Pokemon, which may also threaten Landorus. The sheer power of Spec Sylveon pretty much forces Team 2 to pick another Pokemon that can both safely check/counter not only Sylveon itself, but also Landorus thanks to Baton Pass (lol good luck).

Let's remember that Team 2 already runs two Pokemon that threaten Landorus, if we can limit that number indirectly by forcing them to run a wall, we're creating a chance for Landorus to switch in safely and wreak havoc.

Ferrothorn:

Rotom-W:

Vaporeon:

Slowbro:

Deoxys-S

Sylveon

Kyurem-B

EDIT: Included Kyurem-B thoughts

Will definitely take this into consideration. Also gonna post a better set because in hind sight you're probably right. Thanks for the criticism man! :]

Also about Ferrothorn, I feel like it's a good option but like other people have said it's too early to slap him on the team as team 2 can easily use a Defog user and or use Magnezone to trap and kill Ferrothorn outright. Like WreckDra said though, it would be a better option later on in the thread once they reveal their Defogger/Spinner, because they're definitely gonna use one of those if they have Dragonite.

So Vaporeon vs. Slowbro, I feel like Slowbro might be the better option since he can take hits from Dragonite way better, although Vaporeon has its merits. Also kinda biased on this one because every time I use Vaporeon it gets absolutely destroyed lol.

Specs Sylveon is kinda weird. I think opting for a standard defensive one would be better because you still KO Greninja and 2HKO Dragonite (rough estimate on Greninja, though it can't hit you too hard to the point where you have to be forced to switch). I think opting for something that can handle Greninja is more ideal right now than something that handles Dragonite tbh, because Greninja can still plow through us with some prior damage on Sylveon if we choose to use it. Most things that are being suggested for the sake of handling Greninja can handle Dragonite anyway. (See: Kyurem-Black, Ferrothorn, Deoxys-S, Slowbro)

Last edited:

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

My nomination for now. It's a good switchin to both Greninja and Dragonite. The only move from Greninja that Azumarill doesn't resist is Extrasensory, which does <30% on average. (Dark Pulse would have made it easier for Azumarill to take care of it since it would resist all its moves). I wouldn't say this should be the primary switchin to Dragonite, because Earthquake can wear it down and you don't want that, you want to keep its health up for checking Greninja. Also, this set is pretty powerful still, has Knock Off which cripples most potential switchins (except Mega Venusaur), and Aqua Jet which can pick off weakened stuff if Team 2 decides to pick a sweeper that doesn't resist water.

I actually do not think it is a bad idea for Team 1 to reveal its hazard setter right now. Team 1 will almost certainly save its mega pick for last, so Team 2 will have a chance to respond to the hazard setter for Team 1 at some point anyway. Ferrothorn kills two birds with one stone; it might not be that easy to find a Pokemon that can counter Team 2's picks and set SR later. If we pick Ferrothorn now, Team 1 will have plenty of opportunities to make picks which put pressure on Team 2's hazard remover.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
AV Azumarill, huh. It actually came to my mind before Sylveon but my concern is it can be hard walled by Ferrothorn. No reliable recovery means it can't switch in too many times because it is actually 3HKOed by Extrasensory after Stealth Rock. (Example: Azu switches in, takes 12% from SR and 30% from Extrasensory. Now, you are at at Extrasensory's 2HKO range).

Clefable Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

A perfect switch in against Dragonite, once Clefable comes in she can start setting up Calm Mind boosts, and not worry about Greninja either. Calm Mind allows Clefable to pose an offensive threat after a few boosts while also making it difficult to take out with special attacks. Moonblast is Clefable's most reliable STAB move, and it's also good to note that at the beginning of the match, it's better to go for Moonblast as opposed to Calm Mind, as it will be useful in wearing down many of Clefable's switch-ins such as Bisharp and Aegislash. With Wish + Protect, Clefable is able to keep itself healthy as it uses Calm Mind, while also acting as a key team player. Clefable is checked/countered by steel type Pokemon, all of which are threatened by Landorus.

Clefable Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

A perfect switch in against Dragonite, once Clefable comes in she can start setting up Calm Mind boosts, and not worry about Greninja either. Calm Mind allows Clefable to pose an offensive threat after a few boosts while also making it difficult to take out with special attacks. Moonblast is Clefable's most reliable STAB move, and it's also good to note that at the beginning of the match, it's better to go for Moonblast as opposed to Calm Mind, as it will be useful in wearing down many of Clefable's switch-ins such as Bisharp and Aegislash. With Wish + Protect, Clefable is able to keep itself healthy as it uses Calm Mind, while also acting as a key team player. Clefable is checked/countered by steel type Pokemon, all of which are threatened by Landorus.
I recommend using a Magic Guard set replacing Wish with Softboiled and Protect with Flamethrower. As it is right now, it is way too easy for Team 2 to just put any Steel type on their team and hard wall Clefable. Unaware isn't that useful in my opinion because Team 2 will just avoid picking a setup sweeper, or will pick one with enough raw power to break past Clefable without any boosts.

Weavile @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Ice Punch
-Knock Off
-Low Kick
-Ice Shard

I'd like to nominate Weavile for this round, for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, Band Weavile is one of the few mons that can KO Dragonite(even with the HP investment) through Multiscale, while also being able to KO Greninja with barely any prior damage.
Band Weavile also offers a lot of offensive support for Landorus as it can Knock Off leftovers from walls, making it easier for Landorus to get the KO.
I feel that a defensive pick is one that should occur later in the project, as it is better to pick a wall once we know one or two more of the threats we have to deal with.

Inspirited

is a Contributor Alumnus
I recommend using a Magic Guard set replacing Wish with Softboiled and Protect with Flamethrower. As it is right now, it is way too easy for Team 2 to just put any Steel type on their team and hard wall Clefable. Unaware isn't that useful in my opinion because Team 2 will just avoid picking a setup sweeper, or will pick one with enough raw power to break past Clefable without any boosts.
Keeping Wish is fine, supporting Landorus with it will be huge since U-Turn + Life Orb and Stealth Rock is rather nasty. Softboiled helps Clefable out more though so it is really a toss-up between the two. Your call. Maybe have both on the same set even though this is VERY redundant.

Definitely make Unaware Magic Guard instead though since it helps a lot more in general and team 2 doesn't have a set up sweeper yet

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Mega Scizor can be an excellent contender for team 1's second slot. While being a great partner to Landorus, for its ability to take on non-hp fire Lati@s, it also counters and can set-up on both dragonite and greninja. (The evs are made to avoid the 2HKO from Greninjas Hydro Pump) Scizor is also a great late-game sweeper for team 1, finishing of the remains from Landorus's destruction. It even more fits into the team with its ability to reliably take on ice-types, which is also a big plus.

That's my nomination. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)