Help me choose my next car?

What car?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys,

My name is Jason, and I may be getting a new car at the end of the year (hopefully sooner, though). A little background, I owned a Vietnamese Restaurant when I was younger with my dad. Originally it was my parents, but they divorced because they were in a rough patch, so I had to haul ass during High school. Recently, we sold the restaurant after our lease was up, and I left my dad with his and my cut because he sought out to be a producer overseas. It's been about a year from then, so he's just getting back into things. He hooked up with a couple of people with power, so he's doing well.

I didn't ask for a cent because I know my dad has had a shit life, so I'm just trying to live off of what I can make.

I currently live with my girlfriend. We share an apartment, and things have been doing great. Her dad is actually paying for my college (I got to a junior one to get my associates, then I'm going to go to an undergrad, then a graduate university) because he's a very generous individual. I decided to major in Paralegal in order to get my foot in the door for when I start studying law to be a lawyer or a law clerk (It's kind of like studying to be a nurse, then being a doctor). It seems like a weird route, but I prefer having to work and study, just something about it motivates me more. So right now I am in paralegal (Prelaw), and I actually told my girlfriend we should sell off her car because it's kind of useless. I have a 2011 Nissan Murano (got it brand new :]), and she has a 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey (She got it in 2011, so slightly used). Well, the new models for the Infiniti have just come out (Q series to replace the G series....which actually replaced the G series and some Nissan cars), so the price of the G37 will shoot down by the 2nd or 3rd year of production. I know this because that's just how business works; I think we can all agree. So basically, the value of her car would depreciate quickly, so we would be stuck with it forever if we decided to keep it. I don't wanna sell the Murano because it's an SUV, and an SUV is timeless in both of our opinions because it will help us when we want to move, can carry a bunch more people, and help in the summer when we wanna hang out with friends. So back in December of 2013, I suggested we get the Mercedes CLA-250 for about 30 grand, but her dad didn't want to get a Mercedes because we Asians like imports, I guess lel.

So he is trying to close a deal with one of his houses, and when he sells it, he said we can get a new car since we've been helping him post the ads, we've been trying to support ourselves, and doing fairly well in school (only 3.9 gpa, but meh, for a junior college, EVERYONE should be getting 4.0). The new Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge is coming out, which is going to be a luxury sports Sedan, boasting 560 hp and about 480ft/lb of torque, which is just fucking insane. It is estimated to be around 75k, but we're not sure...still waiting for official production. Because we're both young and reckless with money, we were also thinking of maybe a 2010 Nissan GT-R for around 70k, which only has 485hp and 460ft/lb of torque, but it's a coupe and has a sportier feel to it. Also, it's Godzilla, holy balls.

tl;dr 2010 GT-R or wait for 2015 Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge?

Murano is a cross-over, not an SUV. I'm an asshole.

What the hell do you need a 70K car for when you can use half of that on a down payment for a house? Also being an asshole here, I was under the impression Asians liked German cars. Not to mention you have TWO nearly brand new cars. Speaking of depreciation, what do you think is going to happen with a new Infinity Q50? It'll fall in value like a rock, that's what. If you actually care about depreciation (i don't believe you) then get the GT-R because it'll hold it's value MUCH better.

Have you ever driven a car with 400+hp? A GT-R ain't no Murano.

Now if you must get one..realize they're two completely different cars. GT-R's ride like trucks. Extremely tight suspension. The Infinity will feel like a Mercedes S class in comparison (in terms of ride). GT-R is a hardcore machine.

My advice. Only you know what car you'll like more. Wait until you can schedule a test-drive of the Q50. Then drive the GT-R and decide for yourself.

Also have you looked into the costs of maintaining a GT-R? They're not cheap to maintain or insure. You'd need a CPO warranty as well. Also insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nissan GT-R hands down. Probably helps that that's my favourite car, but yeah, go for the Nissan.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Feet per pound of torque? You putting a slash there is triggering my OCD, man!

Anyway, I can't really say I like the styling on the new Infinitis. I think it's just because I always liked the two-door designs better and didn't like the four-door designs much. I'd go for the GT-R personally just based on styling, although it would probably perform better on a track as well thanks to four-wheel drive, stiff suspension, and the fact that it probably has stickier tires than the Infiniti.

First of all, why can't I find a girlfriend with a generous rich father? Or have rich people problems like deciding between $70-75k cars when I'm barely hoping to save up for a Mini or something?

Personally, I'd go with a cheaper, but still sporty car if that's your thing, then invest the rest. Stay in the $50k range, dump the other $20k in a decent investment vehicle of your choice, then in a few years use that saved up money for a downpayment on a house or when you feel the itch, to help buy a new car when you get tired of your current play toy and go to sell it.

Or if you really want one of those 2, do some research and pick the one with the best resell IMO.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Drop a turbocharger in an S2K and save 40 grand LELELELELELEL.

Jokes aside, I picked the GT-R tho cuz I trust it, I'm not too sure the Infiniti will be an upgrade, since the GT-R is already way out of its own league in terms of performance for the price.

Between those two, I feel the Infiniti will 100% be the better car but the GT-R will have already gone through the "I lost half my value by going off the lot". Although with the GT-R you are down like 60 hp from the newer models and that would be an annoying feeling for me.

In any case the sedan will be better all around while with the GT-R you will get something that felt like a reckless spend (the early models were especially hardcore compared to now). A monster luxury sedan will have the same Nissan burble and will feel even more executive than a 2-door supercar IMO, either way I'm sure you'll get AWD launch control to beat literally anything from a stop.

If I was in that position I wouldn't buy the first edition of the Infiniti, because Nissan added something to the GT-R routinely and it would have painful for me personally to see a better version of my toy out every year.

To stay import, I would keep a close eye on the Lexus IS, last F version had a sexy V8 and the new one looks sick. If you want a reckless spend, I can't stress enough that you need a Supra, R32, or an RX-7. Supra's go out and drive daily at 700 hp using stock internals, R32s are now US legal (if you're not in US all Skylines may be free game for you), and an RX-7 will probably be better on twisty roads than anything besides a Lotus. All of them have just as much jaw-dropping "oh shit" as a GT-R imo and will cost a lot less, leaving you more than enough to maintain them and soup them up.

Original question: Later model GT-R or wait for the Infiniti to work it's kinks out, there will likely be some.

_Tonks_

Are you seriously asking this dude? Nissan GT-R all the way, like. No questions, at all. That car>Well...It's a gnarly ride, so. Got my vote.

Nissan. I have no knowledge of cars I'm just going along with the vote of everyone else. If I was judging by how cool the word sounded I would've voted infiniti. I hope that you understand the intricacy of my criteria.

Get the Infiniti.

The ride in the GTR is absolutely horrible. Also, there is no soundproofing, so it is as loud as hell in there. Unless you're into street racing, and going 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, get the Infiniti.

To be completely honest with you, get the Infiniti in the future, because it is almost never economically practical to get a new car, get it 1-2 years in the future, used, when the price significantly drops.

I have a pretty large car knowledge, and I have first hand experience with sports cars. (porsche 911 C4S Cab 2009 mark II, 2014 SL 550, 2005 Ford GT)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)