Pokémon Quagsire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of people citing M-Gyarados as a counter and I've been running a set with counter and so far I've taken down 5 or 6 M-Gyarados without a problem

I want to run a Quagsire with Haze, but I'm not sure of how to spread the EVs.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Haze

This is what I'm running right now. I would invest in SpDef, but if I did it would be some random amount. I'm not sure what SpDef values are meaningful for Quagsire.

I want to run a Quagsire with Haze, but I'm not sure of how to spread the EVs.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Haze

This is what I'm running right now. I would invest in SpDef, but if I did it would be some random amount. I'm not sure what SpDef values are meaningful for Quagsire.
Quagsire's SpD is pretty awful and it really shouldn't be staying in for any special attacks. Its better to put all your EVs into defense, so it can do what it does best, which is countering physical set up sweepers. If you want an unaware mon that can take special hits, Clefable is better. You also shouldn't drop toxic for haze, as toxic is its main way of actually beating the set up sweepers. If you're going to run haze you should drop earthquake instead. One last thing, the EV spread of 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SpD is slightly more efficient.

I see a lot of people citing M-Gyarados as a counter and I've been running a set with counter and so far I've taken down 5 or 6 M-Gyarados without a problem
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 196-232 (49.7 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You must be playing some trash Mega Gyarados...

Seeing a few Infestation sets out there. At first I was intrigued (partly because I haven't gotten a chance to play with Infestation yet) and the concept seems to be a good idea, but if you switch your Quagsire in to counter a physical sweeper, wouldn't your opponent be more likely to switch in a special attacker before you attack, forcing you to switch and defeating the purpose of Infestation? I suppose it may work late-game after special sweepers are eliminated, but there are better late-game Pokémon than Quagsire out there.

This is why I do not run an infestation set. That, and substitute breaks the DoT and trapping effect.

I much prefer a Stockpile build with Scald and Toxic. I haven't found anything that forces more forfeits after their one grass move user and maybe one toxic mon have both fainted and they can't do anything about him at +3/+3 with anything else on their team.

I used a mono-attacking Quagsire ages ago in 5th gen NU. The set was the following:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Rest
- Waterfall

It seems awful at first sight, but it does work once you get rid of its counters. Mainly Grass-types, but Taunt, Encore and Water Absorb are also very annoying. And now there's Frost Breath to watch out for too. Even then, it's an interesting concept. Boosting along is useless due to Unaware. Rest makes Quagsire impervious to status, which Recover sets really struggle against. Amnesia buffs your SpDef to insane levels: after just two Amnesia's you're pretty much unbreakable on the special side. And from that point you just Curse your way to victory. Crits can be annoying, but Quagsire is pretty resilient: it can usually tank one critical hit, and thanks to its defense boosts live the next hit to Rest back up to full HP.

This set works pretty well with Toxic Spikes support and it appreciates something that deals with Grass-types and Taunt users.

I used a mono-attacking Quagsire ages ago in 5th gen NU. The set was the following:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Rest
- Waterfall

It seems awful at first sight, but it does work once you get rid of its counters. Mainly Grass-types, but Taunt, Encore and Water Absorb are also very annoying. And now there's Frost Breath to watch out for too. Even then, it's an interesting concept. Boosting along is useless due to Unaware. Rest makes Quagsire impervious to status, which Recover sets really struggle against. Amnesia buffs your SpDef to insane levels: after just two Amnesia's you're pretty much unbreakable on the special side. And from that point you just Curse your way to victory. Crits can be annoying, but Quagsire is pretty resilient: it can usually tank one critical hit, and thanks to its defense boosts live the next hit to Rest back up to full HP.

This set works pretty well with Toxic Spikes support and it appreciates something that deals with Grass-types and Taunt users.
The idea of using Rest is interesting, but in OU there's too many Pokémon that would use it as an opportunity to set up...

Stat-boosting Quagsire really suffers from 4MSS. It has lots of cool toys, but to really use them effectively and actually have enough coverage that it won't be forced to switch is difficult.

Opportunity to setup what? Spikes and entry hazards would be a pain, but you wouldn't build up for bunker quagsire while something like that still lives.

I find stat boosting quagsire just fine because it can counter so many things it couldn't otherwise (like Mega-Pinsir most of the time) thanks to defense boosts bringing attacks out of the two-shot range that he normally couldn't cope with. That, and you can cover most everything you need to hit with a combination of Scald/Waterfall and Toxic, leaving one slot for a stat boosting move. I find Quagsire is actually one of the hardest pokemon for my opponent's to deal with, on average, simply because once it does get one or two boosts down even their Mega-Mawhile or Banded Azumarill can't dent him and he can scald them at his leisure letting the burn do all of the work for him.

Just to give an idea of how much not care Quagsire gives for other pokemon's attacks once it is fully stacked up.

252+ SpA Espeon Stored Power (260 BP) vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Quagsire: 109-130 (27.6 - 32.9%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. +6 252 HP / 4 Def Quagsire: 76-91 (19.2 - 23%)
252+ SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 88-108 (22.3 - 27.4%)
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. +6 252 HP / 4 Def Quagsire: 76-91 (19.2 - 23%)

Opportunity to setup what? Spikes and entry hazards would be a pain, but you wouldn't build up for bunker quagsire while something like that still lives.

I find stat boosting quagsire just fine because it can counter so many things it couldn't otherwise (like Mega-Pinsir most of the time) thanks to defense boosts bringing attacks out of the two-shot range that he normally couldn't cope with. That, and you can cover most everything you need to hit with a combination of Scald/Waterfall and Toxic, leaving one slot for a stat boosting move. I find Quagsire is actually one of the hardest pokemon for my opponent's to deal with, on average, simply because once it does get one or two boosts down even their Mega-Mawhile or Banded Azumarill can't dent him and he can scald them at his leisure letting the burn do all of the work for him.

Just to give an idea of how much not care Quagsire gives for other pokemon's attacks once it is fully stacked up.

252+ SpA Espeon Stored Power (260 BP) vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Quagsire: 109-130 (27.6 - 32.9%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. +6 252 HP / 4 Def Quagsire: 76-91 (19.2 - 23%)
252+ SpA Volcarona Giga Drain vs. +6 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 88-108 (22.3 - 27.4%)
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. +6 252 HP / 4 Def Quagsire: 76-91 (19.2 - 23%)
If your referring to Stockpile then you can only go to +3. Also Clefable can Aromatherapy/Heal Bell status away and take advantage of Stored Power (not bashing the Quagster but still). Also I'm raising the defensive Quagsire with Recover, Earthquake, Scald, and Toxic/Yawn (Relaxed). What should I use in the 4th moveslot?

If your referring to Stockpile then you can only go to +3. Also Clefable can Aromatherapy/Heal Bell status away and take advantage of Stored Power (not bashing the Quagster but still). Also I'm raising the defensive Quagsire with Recover, Earthquake, Scald, and Toxic/Yawn (Relaxed). What should I use in the 4th moveslot?
For the statistics and reference to "bunker" quagsire I was referring to the curse/amnesia/rest variant. While it is interesting, if you're running stat boosts I would strictly suggest you go with one of two sets; Scald,Toxic, Stockpile, Recover or Waterfall, Earthquake, Curse, Recover.

The first set lets you deal with more threats overall, letting you soak special attacks after a boost or two you wouldn't otherwise be able to normally. It can be a lot more useful than you'd think when you're eating Thundurus Focus Blasts like they're nothing. It is the set I generally prefer, as I like the utility of inflicting status as well as the increased durability. The biggest drawback of the first set is Stockpile boosts are locked into three, no matter what, so if you take a random defense drop from something like a Crunch then that is a boost you can not gain again until you swap Quagsire out and back in. Can be very annoying versus attacks like Shadow Ball.

The second set is more specialized, designed to not be weak to the aforementioned status downs hampering your defensive ramping, while also destroying defensive walls or bulky boosters that would otherwise try to stall out your recovers. Not a lot of things like eating +6 Waterfalls or Earthquakes and if you've removed your opponent's special threats and status inducers then Quagsire can normally perform a sweep on its own without wearing down. The biggest weakness of this set, and why I prefer the stockpile build, is it is particularly vulnerable to burns and Foul Play.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Amnesia
- Recover

this is the Quagsire I have been running lately it hard walls anything that doesnt have toxic or grass moves
(pairing it with sapp sipper goodra and a Pokemon that spreads burns works wonders)

this is the Quagsire I have been running lately it hard walls anything that doesnt have toxic or grass moves
(pairing it with sapp sipper goodra and a Pokemon that spreads burns works wonders)
Why scald/earthquake over scald/toxic? Also, what matchups do you find the instant +2 spD useful in?

Why scald/earthquake over scald/toxic? Also, what matchups do you find the instant +2 spD useful in?
because if you leave in earthquake instead of toxic you can take on poison and steel types and (hard counter Aegislash ) also if you use amnesia on a predited switch against any special attacker with out grass moves ( latios,gengar,greninja, and, Xerneas, Mewtwo in ubers) and bunker down the only thing special attackers can do to take you out at that point is 2 crits in a row

Last edited:
Wouldn't just fishing for a burn with Scald accomplish the same thing?
other then the fact that you can fish for a burn all game and not get one earthquake allows you to kill some key pokes a burn doesn't effect. Pokemon such as heal bell pokes like sylveon/florges/lanturn some versions of suicune, charzard x, special defensive heatran and you can win stall battles with porygon2 and reuniclus(also mind games of scald plus earthquake are about the only chance you have of fighting a mega gyarados)

earthquake allows you to kill some key pokes a burn doesn't effect.
I have only found this to be the case with bulky boosters, and in addition to that, only with attack boosts from Curse.

Pokemon such as heal bell pokes like sylveon/florges
Quagsire doesn't have the offensive capability to kill a Cleric without Curse while they're performing their duties the majority of the time. They can come in on earthquakes, only taking 40% on standard spreads, wish themselves backup, and perform their healbells just fine. Likewise, half of them can stall Quaggy out with Toxic themselves.
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 135-159 (34.2 - 40.3%)
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 130-154 (36.1 - 42.7%)
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 126-148 (17.8 - 21%)
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 171-202 (23.9 - 28.2%)

charzard x
More readily handled by Toxic, since it cripples him for the remainder of the match, beats Will-o-Roost variants while Earthquake does not, and recovering on a turn Char X dies to passive toxic damage leaves you with more health later in the match versus trading 40% health from a Dragon Claw to ko with EQ.

you can win stall battles with porygon2
I'm not sure how you stall out Porygon2. If it traces Unaware then its damage is equal to Earthquake with its weakest option.
4 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 69-82 (18.4 - 21.9%)
vs
4 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 96-114 (24.3 - 28.9%)
Or it can simply Toxic you out, since you lack it yourself.

some versions of suicune, special defensive heatran, reuniclus, and lanturn
These are fair. Heatran is the most notable, though he can still cripple you with will-o-wisp and avoid the ko.

I'm rather fond of using TFL's Quag set:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Yawn
-Toxic
-Recover

This is pretty much the most dedicated stall set the Quag can utilize. Yawn is much better than Haze in my opinion, as it's much less redundant and allows a free switch-in to another teammate. Toxic is good for dealing with shit like Charizard-X, as that way you can effectively stall him out due to his unability to be burned. And for those wondering why no EQ, Will-O-Wisp on Zard-X isn't exactly uncommon, and Quag's attack stat isn't exactly stellar to begin with, so this is a much more reliable check to all Zard-X variants.

just going to bring this up again, counter stops Charizard-X and because M-Gyarardos needs to DDance at least once before it even has a chance of 2KOing Quagsire. Supposing Quag comes in on the DDance it doesn't take a hit and anyone who doesn't know that M-Gyrardos needs to be at +4 to OHKO Quag gets wrecked by counter.

Infestation is one of Quagsire's truly effective weapons from experience so far. Switch into a physical attacker, boosted or not since Unaware nullifies stat boosts, and with a 252HP/252+Def Spread, Quag will seldom take more than half health. Infestation can trap the foe and then Yawn them to sleep, unable to switch out. The Infestation will whittle away at the foe while sleeping, and you can Recover off the damage you took prior, and do something else with the other moveslot available, like perhaps setting up a substitute, despite the move's nerf this gen.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Infestation
- Substitute
- Yawn
- Recover

Taunt and status (particularly damaging ones) can be evaded when under a substitute, but it's still a big danger to the set due to the fact that it will take a little while to safely sat up a substitute.
Haha wow, this set is just evil. I would be mad as hell if someone used this against me to stop my DDance Scrafty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)