Other Better Battlers Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a very close match and got the feeling that I could have won (in fact I haven't run calcs, but if the last turn was not a critical, I think I could have won >.< )

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-101122723

Anyway, if possible, I would like to receive advice of my plays in particular, and my team in general, to see if I can improve something (the range of the battle is in the ~1750's, for if it is important).

In the battle, I think the biggest mistake was in turn 13. Once I saw his Dragonite stayed, I send Tyranitar thinking it would DD or attempt an Ice Punch against Lando-T, but ended being Earthquaked almost to death.

Turn 14 was another mistake. He knows my TTar is scarfed, so staying is very risky. My gut says earthquake for Bisharp, but I panic when i see Landorus and the chance of him overpredicting and staying. I opt for the 'safe play' of Stone Edge and Bisharp comes in >.< Looking retrospectively I think Ice punch was another solid option as it probably Ko's Dnite, Medicham if it switches and Landorus is it switches :-(

After that I try to recover, and I think I make some mistakes that would have allowed me a better position at the end. Sacrificing Lando-t at turn 18 was probably not the best idea as it could come to intimidate later. Turn 24 I was overpredicted but not sure if there was a better answer.

At the end, it comes to sylveon 44% vs Banded Dragonite locked E-speed. Haven't run the calcs, but i think i could have either kill him with Hyper Voice or wish-protected to full life and hyper voiced him to end the battle, but a critical came in >.< Not sure which was the best option, but in the end it didn't matter (I hyper voiced BTW). Close one, anyway...

About my team, I don't know in which category would fall, but it was intended to be an 'offensively balanced' team. If giving suggerences, please try to respect the 'points to cover formula' I used: Special sweeper/wallbreaker (Keldeo), pursuit trapper (ScarfTar), some method of hazard removal (Defog latias), some method of handling status (Sylveon, Healing Wish Latias), a taunt for BP teams, Deo-D and helping against stall (Keldeo), SR setter (Lando-T)

As of now, the biggest flaw I have noticed is that my team is very Greninja weak (had to resort to mind games to have any opportunity). Manectric-LandoT volt switch teams put me in a tigh spot if sylveon is not at a decent health. I also have not a solid answerfor BD Azumarill and Manaphy, and I'm forced to play agrresively against them (specially Manaphy gets rid of 1-3 of my pokemons each time, although has been sort of manageable). Oddly enough, Magnezone has been a nightmare each time I opposed him >.<

The most variable thing in the team (and another thing I'm not sure) is the HP used on Latias. Fire for Scizor that thinks they can pursuit me freely and Ferrothorn, Fighting for the same exact reason against bisharp and Ttar, and HP grass sometimes for quagsires and a more direct counter to Rotom-W. I can't decide which one would benefit the team more in general :-(

Team:

Code:
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 Spd / 12 HP / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Head

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
Any advice/suggerence would be greatly appreciated! :-D
Only a few things here:

Turn 2, I saw it as risky to leave Lando-T in on mega medicham, since from my experience a lot run Ice Punch and it will outspeed you. I usually find a way to switch around and get Sylveon in safely on my team, since it resists HJK and will OHKO with Hyper Voice, I think Mawile would have worked as a fine switch in too especially since it would have hit medicham with intimidate. Don't worry about Bullet Punch if you use Sylveon, it's weaker than Psycho Cut and Medicham might not even run it since it already has Fake Out. But you got away with Landorus-T that time so I can't criticize it too much...

Turn 11, there's no real benefit to using Focus Punch vs. Zapdos. If Zapdos stayed in, it resisted it and Play Rough would have been stronger, and if it switched like it did, it switched to another resist.

Turn 20, I'm sure you expect Mega Medicham to faint, but if you're pressured into using Hidden Power out of fear for Bisharp, well, Keldeo could have finished off Medicham too no problem with its hidden power.

Turn 31, since Dragonite has Extreme speed, you might as well have sacked 13% Keldeo for a little more leftovers with Protect use. Not that it would have mattered if you calced it like I did out of curiosity, Sylveon at both 44% or 50% will survive a non-crit extremespeed and fall to a crit every time. Sylveon doesn't always do the last 89% with Hyper Voice though, so you would have had to wish+protect spam.
0 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 272-324 (84.2 - 100.3%)

Battle:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-101492762
Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

EVs: 248 HP / 242 Def / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Username: mangeurdepommes

This battle went pretty good for me.
I feel like I did a decent job at checking his Aegislash, but also I lost Latios because i didn't expect the Knock Off. Any tips/advices would be greatly appreciated.

Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-102363774
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Secret Sword

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Sludge Wave

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw

Username: IIlllIIIlllII
Summary: Blurgh, tie.
1. Explosion is an ass
2. Having issues reliably dealing with Mega Mawile (I don't really enjoy having Landorus take 60+% from Sucker Punch since I usually need him for other components)
3. XZard setup time probably could have gone better
4. Used to be running specs Latios but shifted around after deciding on the Skarmory set listed. Maybe Latias is better suited for that purpose but I really do like the extra power. Expert belt for improved damage but without life orb recoil (no roost.)
5. Tyranitar set might be slightly questionable.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-107618783

Username: Devil's Food Cake.
Here I was testing out a team around Phyiscal Charizard Y instead of Special Zard Y, to like try out something different.

Now, there are some misplays I made here.

Turn 1: BIGGEST IMO! Even though I bait him into his Tyranitar, however I actually went for Scald to basically like get a burn to cripple T-Tar. My best bet was going for Secret Sword instead of scald there.
Turn 5: Right after he doubles into his own Tyranitar, I should have like gone into my ground immunity which had to be Thundurus-I and then right after he went for Earthquake, I should have Doubled into my Keldeo to basically OHKO it with a Secret Sword in the first place.
Turn 6: Obviously not going for Superpower when Hippowdon was dragged out. Ice Beam was my best there.

Now, for the most part. I think I did a pretty decent job. Even though I don't have any ground resistances or immunities except for Thundurus-I and Latias.

Code:
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Roost
- Psyshock

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 64 Atk / 204 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-107717672
Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Serious Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Absol @ Absolite
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Blast

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Roar
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Hammer Arm

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Keldeo @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Substitute

Name was alwayswinsthegame

The match was interesting, as I knew I was facing a good player. I made quite a few misplays, but I'll start off from the bottom. First off, I started with Keldeo knowing that Chandelure was my first target, as he was predicting Deo-D. From there, it transitioned onto a game of Boosting vs his Mvenu, which was going well, but as I expected, he had Unaware Clefable to end the party. Made a grave mistake in not putting more hazards, and after that, the match went back to the boosting, only managed to take out Clefable, but lose all my Hydro Pump PP and get forced out by Chandy. Facing Keldeo at the end with MAbsol after Chandy had been taking out witH Sucker Punch was sad, because Keldeo survived Play Miss with 1% remaining, and then basically losing the main offensive presence my team needed.
The match was decided at that point.

Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-107724039
Username: Rosenfeldius

Barry (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 84 Atk / 20 SDef / 168 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Toxic

Amphabulous (Ampharos-Mega) (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SDef / 64 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Momo (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SAtk / 220 SDef / 24 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat
- Recover

Ulysses (Umbreon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SDef / 176 Def / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Manny (Mamoswine) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 220 HP / 16 Atk / 92 Def / 176 SDef / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Irritating Twat (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 212 HP / 188 Def / 56 SDef / 36 SAtk / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

Summary: My play style is to make uncommon/underused pokemon viable, and this team is built to roughly check/counter some of the most popular pokemon in the tier. Umbreon punishes any and all dragon dancers, as it can survive virtually any boosted hit at +1, and KO with foul play, as well as serving as a cleric. Bronzong is my offensive lead, whom I send out against Taunters expecting me to stealth rock, and either wounding them with Zen Headbutt or Gyro Ball. Mamoswine is my bulky anti-lead, my Garchomp/Landorus check, and my Thundurus counter. Mega Ampharos is my pivot switch and my Talonflame counter, and Togekiss is there to deal with Ferrothorn and Conkeldurr (as well as just to be annoying). I won this round, but it was close, and that's my problem. I've been winning a decent amount of rounds lately, but it's often been very, very close. I feel like my predictions can be off at times, and my general move choices during rounds are not always the best they could be, and I'm living a bit on the edge during a lot of rounds. I feel as though my playing style is just very unpolished, and I would like to clean it up a bit.

Edit: I don't know if I have the right to have a say in the matter, but I would prefer my critique to be done by Doughboy , as my team uses a Mega Ampharos and he is the author of the Ampharos thread.

Last edited:
Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-107724039
Username: Rosenfeldius

Barry (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 84 Atk / 20 SDef / 168 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Zen Headbutt
- Toxic

Amphabulous (Ampharos-Mega) (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 196 SDef / 64 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

Momo (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SAtk / 220 SDef / 24 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat
- Recover

Ulysses (Umbreon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SDef / 176 Def / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Manny (Mamoswine) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 220 HP / 16 Atk / 92 Def / 176 SDef / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Irritating Twat (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 212 HP / 188 Def / 56 SDef / 36 SAtk / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

Summary: My play style is to make uncommon/underused pokemon viable, and this team is built to roughly check/counter some of the most popular pokemon in the tier. Umbreon punishes any and all dragon dancers, as it can survive virtually any boosted hit at +1, and KO with foul play, as well as serving as a cleric. Bronzong is my offensive lead, whom I send out against Taunters expecting me to stealth rock, and either wounding them with Zen Headbutt or Gyro Ball. Mamoswine is my bulky anti-lead, my Garchomp/Landorus check, and my Thundurus counter. Mega Ampharos is my pivot switch and my Talonflame counter, and Togekiss is there to deal with Ferrothorn and Conkeldurr (as well as just to be annoying). I won this round, but it was close, and that's my problem. I've been winning a decent amount of rounds lately, but it's often been very, very close. I feel like my predictions can be off at times, and my general move choices during rounds are not always the best they could be, and I'm living a bit on the edge during a lot of rounds. I feel as though my playing style is just very unpolished, and I would like to clean it up a bit.

Edit: I don't know if I have the right to have a say in the matter, but I would prefer my critique to be done by Doughboy , as my team uses a Mega Ampharos and he is the author of the Ampharos thread.
I know I'm not Doughboy, but I'm going to give my two cents. I think your biggest misplay was on turn 14, when you left Togekiss in on Bisharp. If it had been a LO Bisharp (you didn't know at the time that he wasn't, and it is the most common set iirc), he would have KO'd Togekiss and you probably would have lost the match (You probably would have if your opponent didn't choke on turn 16, too, but whatever). I think switching to Umbreon was the better play here, since it could stall out Bisharp with Wishtect even if it had the LO. You might have even been able to pass a wish to Mamoswine to help with its sweep. Even if you were determined to leave Togekiss in, Dazzling Gleam would have been a much better move choice, since it would still KO Bisharp and it would hurt every other member of your opponent's team more.

I know I'm not Doughboy, but I'm going to give my two cents. I think your biggest misplay was on turn 14, when you left Togekiss in on Bisharp. If it had been a LO Bisharp (you didn't know at the time that he wasn't, and it is the most common set iirc), he would have KO'd Togekiss and you probably would have lost the match (You probably would have if your opponent didn't choke on turn 16, too, but whatever). I think switching to Umbreon was the better play here, since it could stall out Bisharp with Wishtect even if it had the LO. You might have even been able to pass a wish to Mamoswine to help with its sweep. Even if you were determined to leave Togekiss in, Dazzling Gleam would have been a much better move choice, since it would still KO Bisharp and it would hurt every other member of your opponent's team more.
I didn't want to wish pass to Mamoswine for fear of Iron Head, but yes I should've been more cautious there. Also, this is more of a teambuilding thing, but bar Mamoswine my team lacks any sort of member resembling a physical wallbreaker, and I am completely at the mercy of the pink blobs. Does anyone have any suggestions in that department

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-96245264

Username: Hjwang

Team:

Code:
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Pursuit
- Sacred Sword

EVs: 248 HP / 88 Spd / 172 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Bisharp (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
Okay so I'm a pretty good battler in general, probably your typical 1760 ladderer. I've been around Pokemon for only a year. This was one of the better matches I played, beating a very good player by the username of Tehy. He was in the 1900s while I was in the 1700s. However, soon after this match, I started losing to lesser players. I would like to know what I did right and wrong this battle, so I can go to the next level.(I know that I have no hazard removal methods so any suggestions on that are welcome.)

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-96245264

Username: Hjwang

Team:

Code:
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Pursuit
- Sacred Sword

EVs: 248 HP / 88 Spd / 172 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Bisharp (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
Okay so I'm a pretty good battler in general, probably your typical 1760 ladderer. I've been around Pokemon for only a year. This was one of the better matches I played, beating a very good player by the username of Tehy. He was in the 1900s while I was in the 1700s. However, soon after this match, I started losing to lesser players. I would like to know what I did right and wrong this battle, so I can go to the next level.(I know that I have no hazard removal methods so any suggestions on that are welcome.)
basically what happened here was you identified Mega Medicham as your win condition. YOur opponent had two counters, Sableye and Mew. Aggressively targetting these pokemon with Aegislash and Thundurus let you win as once they were weakened enough/paralyzed you swept. This kind of tactic of noticing what your opponent is weak to on your team, or just what you ahve the best chance of winning the game with, and then trying to get rid of what can deal with your win condition is something you did here, and should keep in mind in future battles.

the biggest misplay you could possibly make was keep MEdicham in on Mew and risk getting will o wisp burned, and yo udid that, I dont know why. Dont let your best stall breaker succumb to status in the future against stall..

basically what happened here was you identified Mega Medicham as your win condition. YOur opponent had two counters, Sableye and Mew. Aggressively targetting these pokemon with Aegislash and Thundurus let you win as once they were weakened enough/paralyzed you swept. This kind of tactic of noticing what your opponent is weak to on your team, or just what you ahve the best chance of winning the game with, and then trying to get rid of what can deal with your win condition is something you did here, and should keep in mind in future battles.

the biggest misplay you could possibly make was keep MEdicham in on Mew and risk getting will o wisp burned, and yo udid that, I dont know why. Dont let your best stall breaker succumb to status in the future against stall..
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I don't know why I stayed in on Mew either, I guess I was too impulsive there. My lack of experience could have hurt me there, but I lucked out when he went for the Roost. I'm thinking about starting to use this team again. Should I use a Skarm with defog and SR to replace my Landorus? That way I would have a way to remove hazards. Once again, thanks.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I don't know why I stayed in on Mew either, I guess I was too impulsive there. My lack of experience could have hurt me there, but I lucked out when he went for the Roost. I'm thinking about starting to use this team again. Should I use a Skarm with defog and SR to replace my Landorus? That way I would have a way to remove hazards. Once again, thanks.
not a terrible idea, though what Skarm and Lando deal with are not precisely the same. I will say that adding some anti hazard measures would be ideal. Be conscious of the fact that replacing skarm > lando might open up a weakness against, say, Mega Mawile.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-109167719

This is a mini-tour match so that's why there is Genesect and why it is ubers, Genesect does not have much of a role in the match though.

Code:
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Air Slash

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch

Username for the battle: Flamesophist

General Strategy: This team was trying to make a tournament viable balanced/bulky offense team that doesn't lose to well made stall and HO teams. This kind of team archetype Escavalier, Mawile and Banded D-nite is something I am familiar with playing. Im using Specially Defensive latias as I have Torn-T to deal with threats such as Keldeo. Torn-T was a recent addition to help with Mega-Venusaur which previous editions of this team had trouble with. This team mostly focuses on Mawile and Escavalier's wallbreaking power with Banded D-Nite providing revenge killing and some additional wallbreaking power. This team was a bit rushed and isn't my favorite by a long shot so any team building advice would be nice as well, in retrospect I should have gone into this battle with a different team. There isn't really a defined win con. as well...

During the match I felt myself getting worn down and struggling to maintain momentum in the early game leading to some risky plays that shouldn't have worked out in the mid-game. I think that the plays I made in the late-game were good with some nice prediction which almost led me to win the match. There were some haxy moments on both sides but ultimately I got better luck throughout the match avoiding a will-o-wisp and a stone edge on Escavalier. The really weird about this match is I can't tell if I played poorly or well as I feel I didn't have a good match-up at the beginning as my team really dislikes Venutran cores. Any advice would be appreciated as I want to get better at tournament matches, which I kinda suck at :(.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114587829

That's one of the coolest matches I've had in a while, and not only because I beat a guy with a rank much higher than mine (yes, I was dieing to say that), but because it was a very thrilling one. My team was a bulky attacker team based around Mega Gardevoir, with emphasis on spamming hyper voice then switching into pokemon who can take hits and hit back hard, or use powerful priority moves. My opponent's was a mix between sweepers and pure stall mon. Kudos for him for using 3 UU mons and still making a very threatening team. It was a 40 turn, very close match, which I could have easily lost if my opponent had gotten a critical somewhere. I started with the advantage due to a good prediction in the beginning, then struggled to keep it for the rest of the match, until I won. I don't think I made any huge mistakes in this match, other than taking too long to use Knock Off on Mew, but I'd like some constructive advice.

My team:

http://pastebin.com/3XZ4T4wY

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-114587829

That's one of the coolest matches I've had in a while, and not only because I beat a guy with a rank much higher than mine (yes, I was dieing to say that), but because it was a very thrilling one. My team was a bulky attacker team based around Mega Gardevoir, with emphasis on spamming hyper voice then switching into pokemon who can take hits and hit back hard, or use powerful priority moves. My opponent's was a mix between sweepers and pure stall mon. Kudos for him for using 3 UU mons and still making a very threatening team. It was a 40 turn, very close match, which I could have easily lost if my opponent had gotten a critical somewhere. I started with the advantage due to a good prediction in the beginning, then struggled to keep it for the rest of the match, until I won. I don't think I made any huge mistakes in this match, other than taking too long to use Knock Off on Mew, but I'd like some constructive advice.

My team:

http://pastebin.com/3XZ4T4wY
Turn 16 I probably wouldn't have let Aegislash go down. You had a Mandibuzz, who Lando has a hard time attacking. If aegislash was alive later i'm sure he could have done work, especially with that lando getting into shadow sneak range later on only to harass you with its offensive presence. It was also a good answer to Mew who just kept healing :[. Honestly though, you played awesome besides that one bit. Kudos to you buddy!

Turn 16 I probably wouldn't have let Aegislash go down. You had a Mandibuzz, who Lando has a hard time attacking. If aegislash was alive later i'm sure he could have done work, especially with that lando getting into shadow sneak range later on only to harass you with its offensive presence. It was also a good answer to Mew who just kept healing :[. Honestly though, you played awesome besides that one bit. Kudos to you buddy!
Oh yeah that. It was a bad play from my part, I tried to randomly predict a switch to get a shadow ball and it didn't work.

Well, thanks.

Hi, I'd like some advice on this(I used a well known HO team to see if I could play it properly): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-115741987

My opponent has a sun based team for sure so I expect to see char Y and solar power heliosk chlorophyll sawsbuck(even if he manages to set up aegislash will stop him) and lilligant.Pinsir will have a hard time sweeping but once char and ninetails are down my team should win without problems.
T1:I think he'll lead with charizard to avoid him losing 50% on a switch on stealth rock set by my deoxys(he has no spinners or defoggers) and set up the sun :I lead with a scarfed excadrill that should anyway have a good matchup against ninetails and heliosk(but it wasn't,since he was scarfed as well and he could have had focus blast).I use rock slide but I fail,my excadrill goes down.I still have 3 priority attack and greninja who's faster to kill him.

T2:I go with deoxys to set some hazards, he'll get switched out by my red card and when he switches in again he'll take 50% health ,dark pulse or sucker punch or quick attack will then kill him.I try to paralize one of his pokés while I'm at it but I didn't consider he also had an heliosk in his team:I was lucky to have ninetails forced in by the red card.

T3:Stealth rock

T6:I used dark pulse thinking that he'll switch ninetails out,probably I should just have gone for a surf.

T9:Heliosk is scarfed and locked in focus blast I just go for aegi and use shadow ball.It was probably the biggest mistake of the match I should have used the locked heliosk to set up with pinsir and then murder his team.

T13:I don't know what to do if I switch to bisharp he'll take at least half life from a volt switch or worst from a thunderbolt then lilligant will kill him and heliosk will kill my pinsir(I was wrong again: quick attack + stealth rock +spikes damage would have killed him for sure).I leave my pinsir to die hoping that a full health bisharp will be able to deal with his lilligant.

He luckly misses sleep powder and I win.Are there some other missplays I couldn't see?
(sorry for my english)

His sun team is ok, but I like mine better. Heres how I use it http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-124366713

I actually did really well this battle, but certainly made some mistakes. Here are my pokemon so you may see all plays avalible.
Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SAtk / 32 Spd
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic
- Brave Bird
Sparta (Sawsbuck) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
Darmanitan @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 Def
Calm Nature
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Discharge
The first move that was a mistake was going for synthesis turn 10. I should have leech seeded predicting a switch and then latias would have taken out Skarmory, and most likely Rotom-H due to it would have been knocked out by the second discharge. The second was staying in against the incoming draco meteor turn 11 when I knew it could kill because I had seen the damage it did before.

Overall Downsides: Dealt with Latios poorly and it knocked out two of my pokemon by itself
Let the stealth rocks come up when I had no defogger
Not using Darmanitan and Sawsbuck (not sorry because I needed them but because I love it when Sawsbuck which is NU takes out three pokemon, which happens a decent amount of the time)

Overall Upsides: Was able to very efficently deal with Dragonite without hurting my team too much
Was able to minimize Thuderus's role in the battle
Mega-Venusaur destriyed Azumarill, Terrakion and Mega-Gyrados

Please advise on how to make team better. Btw, dark pulse is the only move that has ninetales do decent damage to the Lati twins and Heatran

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Battle:http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-125250245
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 180 Spd / 252 SAtk / 76 Atk
Rash Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Psyshock
- Roost
Username: DisIsA_Name

Summary: Even though I won, I still feel like I couldve played better. My main goal was to lure out Charizard to know the set, and once I did, it was easier for me to keep the sand up so I could sweep. I feel like there were a few things that I couldve done better, such as not going for Draco that Turn on Garchomp, so Im looking for advice there, as well as on the team in general.

Last edited:
Ok then:

Turn 10: Your Garchomp hit Skarmory with Stone Edge. Despite being at -2 SpA, Fire Blast would have still hit harder since Skarmory has so much less special defense.
-2 252+ SpA Mega Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%)
76 Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Sand: 89-105 (26.6 - 31.4%)

After that, Excadrill wasn't the best switch-in, since again unstabbed physical rock attacks won't get through a skarmory without flinch hax. All it will do is eat up your sand turns. Either continuing to Fire Blast Skarmory since it's a 2HKO after Knock Off, or switching to Talonflame would have scared it out.

Turn 22: The fact that your opponent was willing to switch Charizard into Hippowdon means it's probably Mega Y, because Hippowdon is a good counter to dragon dance Mega X. Talonflame would have been a good Charizard Y switchin, and then it could have either attacked or U-turned back to Hippowdon to reset the weather. But your Hippo still survived so it didn't cost you that much.

Probably more to be made from that replay but that's it right now.

Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-131497518

Nuisance Nurse (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Titanic Turtle (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 2 SAtk / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Plain Plane (Latios) (M) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 100 Def / 116 SDef
Serious Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Roost

Username: manlindanoob

Summary: I did misplay at times in this battle. I forgot about ice punch.... twice! And Heatran and Amoonguss kinda died in vain, although I did manage to trick him with Latios. His Blissey had Thunderwave so I had to constantly switch in Chansey to either block them or use Heal Bell. I had to gradually stall him to death in the end. My semi stall team has a volt-turn core, and although Latios hits hard with Draco Meteor and Psyshock, it is often too frail to constantly take hits and switch in. Also I'm having lots of trouble stopping sweepers like Mega Charizard X, I tried Clefable with Unaware but it's not compatible with Softboiled, and it's mediocre bulk is not really something to rely on. I also thought about Quagsire, but it's kind of redundant with Rotom-w.

Btw you can stop watching after like Turn 60 because it's just plain stall after that.

Last edited:
Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-132373312

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 4 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Deoxys-Defense @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Username: pipas13

Summary: In this match I was using a Deoxys-D HO team, which I've had much better results with than usual (this was my 4th loss in over 30 battles). This game was a pretty close one, I think, and I'd like some advice regarding what I could have done to help me win.
So, my strategy for the game was pretty simple: lay down my hazards and maintain offensive pressure on the opposing team so their pokemon wouldn't be able to set up or remove hazards; if latias ever got a chance to Defog I'd try to take advantage and set up with my tyranitar. What actually happened was a bit different, of course. I think my biggest misplay was switching Exca on his Aegislash (turn 7), or at least that's when the match turned in favor of my opponent.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-132373312

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 4 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Deoxys-Defense @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Username: pipas13

Summary: In this match I was using a Deoxys-D HO team, which I've had much better results with than usual (this was my 4th loss in over 30 battles). This game was a pretty close one, I think, and I'd like some advice regarding what I could have done to help me win.
So, my strategy for the game was pretty simple: lay down my hazards and maintain offensive pressure on the opposing team so their pokemon wouldn't be able to set up or remove hazards; if latias ever got a chance to Defog I'd try to take advantage and set up with my tyranitar. What actually happened was a bit different, of course. I think my biggest misplay was switching Exca on his Aegislash (turn 7), or at least that's when the match turned in favor of my opponent.

t0: Why lead Deoxys-d against the opposing team? For one thing, your team is too frail to allow aegislash to force deo-d out on t1, which meant you felt you had to keep deo-d in. It turned out fine because he was an sd set without shadow ball. Had he a different aegislash set, your hazards would be entirely wasted. You did get hazards up and you kept them up largely because he hugely misplayed latias. Against a better player, your hazards would be gone as he would force you to bring in keldeo, then sac whatever is in against keldeo to bring in latias to defog. Basically, despite the fact that you kept your hazards up, I would recommend more patience in the future. Think before you decide to lead deo-d. If it lays hazards and dies, but they have latias defog and you have keldeo, and keldeo is your only 'safe' answer to aegislash, your hazards might be wasted sooner than you think. I would have led Keldeo, hoping he leads anything but thundurus. If he doesn't lead Thundurus, latias is forced in to take hydro pump, which gives you a chance to bring in scizor to knock off on his likely recover/psyshock/meteor (but he will think it's going to pursuit, unfortunately you dont have pursuit which would be really good for a deo-d team in a meta where latia@s are the defogers that outspeed taunts...). your decisions on t0 had a profound effect on the course of this match, an unfortunately common problem in xy matches between offensive teams, which will render much of what I say about the rest of the match somewhat superfluous...

t7: the big turn where you lose excadrill, I would have sacced scizor even at the risk of letting aegislash set up, following that, send in tar to eq. I know you probably expected him to king's shield and it was a risky situation either way, but I would have stayed in with scizor for one turn, or else immediately switch to thund/keld. If he starts setting up, then you have to switch out, but at least make him try rather than a risky switch. More patience, if he starts setting up on scizor then switch out. Losing exca is a big deal because it loses you an outrage resist and a revenge killer/sweeper.

once scizor and exca were dead it was just a scarf chomp+ priority clean up for him, not much to say imo.

Hope this was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)