2014 April Friendly

That Magneton was Scarf ^ I lost to it when it outsped my Kang...

I finished 61-19 With a rating around 1940. Had a 1980 then lost 3 of my last 4 games ;(

Ratings will be posted Thursday May 1 at Midnight UTC. Seems to be a lot faster than the Beta Competition.

I seriously should have quit while I was ahead. I was over 1800 and pressed for more points, but lost some matches and wound up sliding back to 1750... ah, well...

On the official site, it says the ending time was changed to 17:00 UTC. That's already passed, so our boxes should be unlocked by now.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, time for tl;dr posts, but since the competition is over it's time to go ham with RMTs. I finished with 55 wins-21 losses with a rating of ~1876. Two of those losses were legitimate bullshit d/cs on my end because my ISP sucks and I hope AT&T burns in Arceus' Judgement, conveniently against lower rated opponents. Either way, I got my rants about hax and shit internet out of the way so no more complaining on my end! Here's my team, I accounted for the exact IVs of my team for relevant stats.

Cenarius (Xerneas) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Fairy Aura
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 26 Def / 27 SDef
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

I tried Geomancy out on PS and it sucked for me. It's difficult to set up against good opponents, priority is everywhere, and it's really not worth relying on Focus Miss to hit things that resist Fairy (or just have Aegislash shit on you). I found that Specs worked for me infinitely better because I could still hit like a truck with fewer repercussions and still nab KOs. The main issue I had with Xerneas is that it loses to Jolly Kanga and a whole host of other faster threats due to its middling speed. In the end, Specs Xerneas did good work and is better than Geomancy imo.

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 8 Atk / 28 SAtk
- Psystrike
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Light Screen

Carries harder than the special set ever could. I kept talking about how awesome this set was in the thread and it did not disappoint at all. It's hilarious how most people's first reaction to this is to Sucker Punch on their Mawile or Kanga only to realize with horror that I've burned their heaviest sweeper. WoW is also fantastic for killing defensive threats that never die, most notably against a Mega Aggron. I can't tell you how many awful plays my opponents tried against this thing, but suffice to say that it's one of those surprise factors that isn't a shitty gimmick and will nab you wins. Even without investment or a boosting item, Psystrike does a ton of damage so I was able to finish off a few opponents without having to waste 5 turns waiting for burn damage.

Standard ubers Stalltwo runs Taunt but I elected to run Light Screen instead so I don't lose to special-based Pokemon and support the team by crippling enemies on both sides of the spectrum. Light Screen saved my ass on two particular occasions, the first was stalling a Mega Ampharos to death (my luck is so terrible that I'm shocked that Thunderbolt did not paralyze me during the ordeal) and the second was an enemy that got Geomancy off on Xerneas for his/her last Pokemon which allowed my Aegislash to finish it off. Overall, while there were situations I wished I had Taunt, I was very happy with my decision to run Light Screen.

P.S. The one weakness this set has is against boosting Pokemon, including scary debacles vs Malamar and SD Mawile, but I was able to triumph in these situations. The one time I lost a stall was against a bulky Megazard X. fml :(

P.S.S. Big shoutout to my friend dr00 for soft resetting this for me at the last moment and getting lucky with those IVs. n_n

Banga (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Overall MVP. I think I didn't play this in 4 out of 76 matches, maybe 5 at most. Not much to say other than this steamrolls teams and it centralizes the tier. Several games this was able to sweep by itself. This set was standard for Kanga at higher ratings because you will rarely have opportunities to PuP and EQ helps you avoid the stupid Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn bullshit and kill Aegislash. Without Crunch, this is walled by Gengar if it has a way to damage you without attacking moves, Gourgeist/Trevenant, and one humiliating loss against a Shedinja.

I chose to run Adamant for power because Adamant scores many KOs that Jolly does not. The bulky EVs came with the territory because it wasn't worth running much Speed since nearly everything around Kanga's speed tier runs +Speed natures and I could also survive a lot of things that running no HP doesn't guarantee (to lazy to list examples but bear with me!). On the flipside, Adamant Kanga loses to Jolly Kanga one on one so I had to play against it cautiously and made sure to pack Aegislash.

Muffin (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 224 Spd / 32 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I brought this mainly to kill shit like Ferrothorn, Talonflame and Scizor as well as something that can eat WoWs. I chose Scarf because this has shit speed with Modest and Scarf gives it a ton of revenging power. This and Charizard are about the extent of viable special Fire-types in the tier and I already expected to use Kanga a lot so I didn't run double Megas. I made the odd choice of Shadow Ball over Volt Switch which is my biggest regret of the entire team; I ran Shadow Ball originally in case I ever found myself backed up against Mewtwo. I ran 224 Speed to outrun base 130s (Mewtwo and Aero) with Scarf and put some EVs in HP because holy shit this thing is fragile. But yeah, my biggest mistake on this team was running Shadow Ball instead of Volt Switch.

(On a side note, yes that is a completely flawless 31/0/30/31/31/31 HP Ice Rotom, I was so lucky to get that after 5 eggs of breeding a random Ditto and Rotom I got off Pokecheck lol. That 0 Atk actually came in handy on numerous occasions taking little damage from Foul Play and mitigating Swagger confusion damage.)

Cho Ren Sha (Talonflame) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

I used this piece of shit twice and it only actually appeared once. I don't really want to spend a lot of time talking about this, all this is good for is to spam Brave Bird. I think maybe the reason I didn't run this too much is because in most situations I preferred to send in Rotom. In the end I wish I run Megazard X over this.

Protato (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature
IVs: 26 Spd
- Iron Head
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

I wanted to run 0 Speed on this so I could guarantee at least a fighting chance against every other Aegislash, but I couldn't be assed to spend all day breeding a 31/31/31/31/31/0 one (and my friends only had Quiet! ugh). In every Aegi vs Aegi situation I found myself in, the enemy was faster than me so at least that worked out. I chose Brave instead of Quiet because I hate Xerneas and even though Iron Head doesn't OHKO with +Atk, it does enough so that I can finish it off with any priority. The others are just coverage moves, Shadow Ball was especially helpful in winning against enemy Aegislash and chipping away at Ferrothorn and Sacred Sword OHKOs Kanga with Weakness Policy boost. I really wish I could have run Shadow Sneak, but overall I needed power and used every move on this set about equally and it did great without it.

Like Stalltwo, people played like shit against it though sometimes I was fucked. I lost twice because CB Bisharp and LO Talonflame OHKO shield form even with 252 HP. I used this in two ways: playing like a regular Aegislash does and being a kamikaze. A good example of this is Kanga using EQ to activate Weakness Policy and me using Sacred Sword for the KO or Mewtwo using Flamethrower/Fire Blast and suffering an OHKO from Shadow Ball, and then dying to revenge on the next turn due to no Shadow Sneak. For some reason, WoW Talonflame is nowhere near as common as I believed it to be and I spammed King's Shield on it and a few other threats on the way out to set up opportune switch-ins on my other mons with the enemy at -2 Atk.

Weaknesses:
I mostly lost to random things that were completely unexpected, like Endeavor Crawdaunt, CB Bisharp, Rocky Helmet WoW Talonflame, and Shedinja. But the reason why it's not shameful to lose to those things is because this metagame is so overcentralized that gimmicks that are specialized to beat those overcentralizing things thrive. Metagames evolve by people being creative and adapting to those threats. Additionally, kamikazes work better in 3v3 than 6v6 or even VGCs where trading hard has a much more dramatic effect.

I did however have a couple of things that consistently beat me that isn't going to be QQing about hax:

Mega Charizard X – Completely went under the radar and shits all over this team. Mewtwo can't cripple it, Rotom hits for shit on it, Aegislash can't switch in, and +1 Flare Blitz OHKOs Xerneas and Kanga. I won versus bad players who switched it in at an inopportune time, but if it switches in on Rotom or Mewtwo (if bulky), it's pretty much gg for me.

Ferrothorn – Doesn't beat me by itself, and I won versus quite a few Ferrothorn users or I wouldn't have a positive win ratio. However, it causes me to play erratically. The only thing on my team that can reliably score an OHKO is Rotom's Overheat (Talonflame is unreliable because Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs + recoil are not fun) and obviously they are going to back Ferrothorn up the ass with stuff that resists Fire. I actually did bring Kanga quite often and I can predict the Ferrothorn switch-in against bad players and win one on one. Versus a smart player, it's a guessing game but the frustrating thing is that it's not going to go away after 2 or even 3 turns. Ferrothorn was overall annoying to play against, somehow more than Klefki.

Skarmory – much more problematic than Ferrothorn in my opinion and ALWAYS carried Rocky Helmet. Like Ferrothorn, this didn't win games on its own but was the basis for powerful defensive cores, like Skarm + Kanga, Skarm + Xern, etc. Again, I overly relied on Rotom to beat this and I won most of the time but it was a pain in the ass and caused me to play erratically by walling several of my Pokemon.

Will post more metagame analysis later since this post is long enough. Rankings are posted Thursday.

Last edited:
Wow, I missed the fourth day of battling due to class. Really grinds my gears. Went 34-26 with about a 1650~ rating. This was my team:

http://prntscr.com/3ec77v

Looking back on my choices, I felt like I came in really unprepared for the meta and wasn't able to field a team I would have liked too. Most of my choices were based on the first week the ladder was introduced on Showdown when I got up too tenth on the ladder, but clearly it has changed a lot. I wish I spent more time getting Xerneas Close Combat to counter special walls that came in, instead of relying on a terrible Megahorn. I brought Venusaur in case I battled a Spore spamming team, but that never arose so that was dead weight the entire tournament. Other than that, I felt like all of my choices were decent. Would have liked to have had Dark Pulse on Greninja, but hey, what are you gonna do. Also not having Fake Out on Kanga really hurt me. So overall, if I would have known there was a fourth day and would have put more thought into my team, I felt I could have done better than what I did.

Age of Kings I think I played you, the game I'm remembering is where a Specs Xerneas Moonblasted my Kang and it survived with 9 HP. I was Andy from Ohio.

I'm pretty certain about that since I definitely remember that match I noticed it was a 5 Pokemon mirror besides a Talonflame to my Liepard.

Wow, I didn't realize the tournament already ended. I should have been more careful about the times! but I probably wouldn't have gotten any higher anyway haha. Hope I get at least the top ten, though i predict the winner of the tournament might have around 2000.

cant say Oh, I only had around 1930. Was it someone else?

VGC Player X Impressive record! Did you face anyone in the 1900s in the last day?

Also to anyone else, O-427-8717-A is my pokemon ID. Let me know if any of you guys battled me besides cant say and Nightmare!

So my final record is still around 1930 with a ratio of 51-8.

For those who care, this is the team I used

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 44 HP / 152 Def / 252 SAtk / 60 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 26 Def / 28 SDef
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Yveltal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Mild Nature
IVs: 27 HP / 27 SDef / 27 Spd
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 12 Spd
- Transform

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic
- Bullet Punch

EV spreads are kind of weird yes, but this is a direct rip from my team on showdown. I must say AV-Yveltal is really good and I probably wouldn't have gotten this far without it! If I could do this tournament again, I would replace xerneas with a rash scarf one to combat Mega Kangaskhan. In addition, I would exchange ditto for something better.

Last edited:
All right, time for my team. I'm proud of all six members, they all pulled their weight in battles, and each member had a chance to shine.

We went 53-27, rating around 1750.

Kangaskahn @ Kangaskahnite
Ability: Scrappy/Parental Bond
Jolly Nature
EVS: ATK: 252/SPD:252/HP:4
31/31/31/x/31/31
Fake Out
Return
Crunch
Sucker Punch
What hasn't already been said about this beast? It's AWESOME! I ran with Crunch over PuP or EQ to handle ghosts and Mewtwo, Jolly nature to outspeed Adamant Kanga and non-Jolly Chomp.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature
EVs: DEF:252/HP:252/ATK: 4
31/31/31/x/31/0
Protect
Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
If my opponent was a physical attacker, and wasn't using fire, chances are he wound up running smack into this wall and losing a chunk of HP for his trouble. 0 Speed IVs guarantees max damage from Gyro Ball, and can OHKO boosted Xerneas. Leech Seed prolongs his life and forces switches. This has been most useful chasing off Mega-Kanga and physical Aegislash, surprisingly, as he can tank an unboosted Sacred Sword, and answer back with Leech Seed and Protect.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate/Huge Power
Adamant Nature
EVs: ATK:252/HP:252/DEF:4
31/31/31/x/31/31
Play Rough
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Fire Fang
As has been said earlier in this thread, This Mega is perfect for dealing with the omnipresent Uber trifecta that was everywhere in this competition. Iron Head OHKOs Xerneas, Play Rough OHKOs Yveltal, and Sucker Punch OHKOs Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y. Fire Fang is to deal with Mega Scizor, Ferro, and Lucario. Funnily enough, whenever Mawile was up against Scizor and Lucario, my opp would predict a switch and SD, only to be OHKO'd by Fire Fang. This was the newest member of my team, and was responsible for several 3-0 sweeps.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
EVs: ATK:252/SPD:252/HP:4
31/31/31/x/31/31
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Will-O-Wisp
U-Turn
Mostly standard T-Flame set. WoW was added for surprise value against physical threats that couldn't OHKO him, mainly Mawile and Aegislash.

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Ablility: Levitate
Timid Nature
EVs: HP:252/Def:200/SpA:56
31/x/31/31/31/31
Will-O-Wisp
Hydro Pump
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Again, a standard moveset. Went with Timid nature to boost speed a bit without having to use EVs. It can tank most neutral physical hits, pop its Sitrus berry in a pinch, and answer back with WoW or an SE hit. Definitely my #1 support mon during the competition.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Quiet Nature
EVs: SpA:252/Spd:76/HP:180
31/x/x/31/31/x
Geomancy
Moonblast
Psychic
Close Combat
My obligatory Uber for this comp. I know, Quiet nature isn't the best, but I like the SpA boost, and I have Y with no X friends to soft-reset a good one for me. Psychic was for fire and poison types, and Close Combat was to break special walls. Even with the speed drop, it got several 3-0 sweeps after a first-turn Geomancy.

Now, time to start prepping for the May International Challenge!

flash My last 6 games in a row were 1870-1895s lol (none actually hit 1900 and I went 3-3 against those players taking my 1980-1940)

Also flash you beat me day 1 ;)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Age of Kings I think I played you, the game I'm remembering is where a Specs Xerneas Moonblasted my Kang and it survived with 9 HP. I was Andy from Ohio.
Were you the mirror match? The turning point was the Iron Head flinch (may have survived Kanga EQ with Aegislash otherwise and OHKO'd had I not taken the subsequent Shadow Sneak). The odds of your Kanga surviving Moonblast was in your favor (252 SpA Choice Specs Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 162-192 (90 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO). Novel idea to run bulky Xern too.

I actually recorded the Battle Video if you're interested in watching because of the mirror match and it being close: GBEG-WWW-WWW7-34RH

Good game!

flash My last 6 games in a row were 1870-1895s lol (none actually hit 1900 and I went 3-3 against those players taking my 1980-1940)

Also flash you beat me day 1 ;)
I think the highest I ever faced was around 1840. Maybe I was just playing at the wrong time of day. haha, wish I got to face them! need the points!

edit: I dont mean that I will beat them, just wanted to face someone higher...

Last edited:
I played in Juniors/Seniors and stopped at 36-7 because I thought my ~1830 was good enough. The highest player I saw was 1808 but it seems like there were players who did a lot better. Also I unfortunately thought that the cap was 60 games instead of 80 -_- Onicon I was the guy who played you with Fire Fang Mawile I'm pretty sure :P I was like wth Jumpluff (with no idea what to expect)

Anyway guys, this is my team. I thought it was really good, but I made some really stupid mistakes with a couple moves.

Yveltal @ Leftovers (ikr, was actually helpful. I never thought about Vest but idk)
Dark Aura
Bashful Nature (neutral, I like all the stats!)
IVs: less than 31 in SpAtk and Spd iirc, perfect bulk.
EVs: Don't really remember, I think I split SpDef and HP along with 252 SpAtk
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Toxic

Toxic won me a game when it came down to 1v1 against a Vest Yveltal. Sucker Punch was clutch.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Fairy Aura
Rash Nature (Modest would've been preferable, but my resources were limited for the Ubers)
IVs: I think i had 31/X/31/31/?/?
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 SpDef (lack of experience with the format, not ideal spread)
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

I had a lapse of judgement when I chose Flash Cannon... oops
Even if Moonblast is not very effective it still outpowers Flash Cannon, and even if FC is supereffective, Moonblast outpowers it. iirc, there's nothing that is both resistant to Moonblast and weak to FC. I wish I had HP Fire or really anything else tbh.

Mewtwo @Mewtwonite Y
Pressure --> Insomnia
Timid Nature
IVs (don't remember)
EVs 252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 SpDef
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Psystrike

Psystrike is sooooo good. I was also really glad to have BoltBeam, but I never used Recover. I wish I had a fire move such as WoW/Flamethrower/Fire Blast instead.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Intimidate --> Huge Power
Adamant Nature
EVs: (standard, I was too lazy to re EV for the mirror match speed creep)
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang

Sucker Punch was useful but annoying against a bunch of Roost Talonflames. I had a hard time deciding between Brick Break and Fire Fang and was glad I decided on Fang instead. I used it against Ferrothorn, Aegislash, Scizor, and other Mawiles numerous times.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Protean
Timid Nature
EVs 252 Spd/252 SpAtk/4 HP
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Sash was really clutch against Talonflame, which I didn't have much of an answer to otherwise. Hydro Pump's extra power was too needed and at least I never lost by missing a Hydro Pump. One time I lost to a Noivern barely. Apparently max speed Noivern outspeeds max speed Greninja by ONE POINT!

Also, Dark Pulse's 20% flinch was really clutch a couple times.

Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 spd
EVs: I think 252 Def/252 HP but I really don't remember
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

This was originally a Specially Defensive Vest Goodra with coverage moves, but that was pretty useless, especially with Mega Mewtwo Y and Xerneas having decent SpDef.

I was originally skeptical of Protect in singles, but I literally would not have done nearly as well without it. Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs ruins Kang when I switch into a Fake Out or PuP. Even with EQ, Ferro decimated so many Kangs. Protect was not only useful for extra damage and healing from Leech, but also for scouting potential fire moves from Mewtwo, Mawile, Noivern, and HP Fires from things that could have it like Xerneas or Greninja.

So that's my team. This my first post on Smogon. I played TCG only for a few years but now I'm getting more into VG stuff.

I really had some fun in this tournament. I tell ya, specially defensive Mega Mawile with sub is the way to go, beats all 3 legendaries (except Mewtwo X w/ fire blast or EQ) and beats up on common threats like talonflame and aegislash. Also, nobody saw that sleep talk coming from my banded talonflame :D

Had a rating of about 1960 after 80 battles, not sure I saw anyone ahead of that. Let me know if you did, I'm curious!

The team I used. If you can't tell by my username I'm a doubles only player and I don't ever play 6v6 singles. My team and plays were made how a doubles player would think. Note the lack of serious bulk on anything or setup moves. I was Andy from Ohio with a Blue Girl trainer if any of you played me.

Xerneas @ Power Herb

EVs: 208 HP / 252 SAtk / 48 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: Hex Flawless
- Moonblast
- Focus Miss
- Geomancy
- Protect

I pulled off a Geomancy sweep only once or twice the whole tournament and I rarely used it but I don't regret running it at all. It's such a threat and in 3v3 perceived threats are way stronger than actual threats imo. Focus Miss was a last second addition once I realized that Moonblast does more than a nuetral Thunderbolt. This I regret a lot because I didn’t encounter once time where Focus Miss would have gotten a KO that Tbolt would not. Also Talon was everywhere and even though Moonblast Kos after Brave Bird recoil, it doesn’t OHKO if they try to Swords Dance so I really missed Thunderbolt. Protect is to stop Mega Kang fake out chaining against a +2 Xerneas and I’ll be honest, I laughed whenever I saw a Xerneas with Geomancy not also running Protect. Fake out chaining won me so many games.

Mewtwo @ Expert Belt
EVs: 100 HP / 152 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 28 Def (2nd Masterball I threw at it ;D)
- Psystrike
- Flamethrowe
- Aura Sphere
- Substitute

I didn’t use this a ton, mostly used it against low rated players and teams with Mawile (Sub>Sucker Punch). I’m not sure if this set was the best and I wish the Expert Belt was on another Pokemon but I was just so pumped to catch a near flawless on the second try when all I was going for was SpA/Spd.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

The best Pokemon in the metagame imo. This did so much work and fake Out chained every Xerneas player who wasn’t using the good Xerneas (which was all but one person I ran into) I didn’t seriously consider any other moveset or EV spread. Obviously this loses to the Good Aegislash so most of the time I just switched out got some chip damage on it and put it in EQ KO range.

Rotom-Heat @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
IVs: 6 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I was running Specs online but made a last second change because I like being able to switch attacks. Unfortunately the Life Orb recoil turned out to be more significant than it is in Doubles. This was just my VGC regionals Rotom with Volt Switch over Protect. In hindsight Expert Belt would have been better and maybe some supporty type move? idunno

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Meant to be a Klefki/Liepard/Prankster shenanigans counter. It honestly didn’t work very well and Swagger/Play was a lot weaker than most singles players seem to complain about. I can only assume the broken swagger mons have sub? Meh…

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: Hex 31
- Iron Head
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

This thing was so bad. I ran Max Defense in practice with Brave and a 0 IV. This moveset caters to the 0 speed Aegis. Unfortunately this is the only spread I could get and I didn’t change the moveset so all I had was a less bulky Aegis without Shadow Ball that loses to other Aegislash. <.< I also found out that Iron Head +2 one shots Jolly Kang as it is, so even Sacred Sword was mostly useless with this EV spread. I would say about a third of my losses were to not bringing it against opposing Xerneas because it wasn’t good against anything but Xerneas. Oh well!

I finished 61-19 and although I don’t know for certain what my final rating will be, I had a 1954 before losing my last game to an 1880 so I assume it will end around 1940. Hopefully not lower than that…I peaked at 1978 with 4 games to go I believe.

List of things I lost to: Non mega Charizard, Illumise, Timer stall Gliscor, Curse Trevenant, Ice Table, Scarf Magneton.

But to be fair Scarf Magneton is broken and anyone would lose to that…

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I'm certain it was you. I remember that AV yveltal. I don't actually remember how the match played out, I think I brought rotom, Ferro and maybe ditto? Yeah I though for sure you'd bring xernaes so I could set up imposter ditto and win the match (brought Rotom to volt switch out on the geomancy) but you went with garchomp and Yveltal (can't remember the third, did I forfeit or did Yveltal really beat me that bad?)

And yeah i saw the rating was 1,9__ and may have freaked out lol, so I probably saw the 1930 as 1980!

Anyway I didn't get to play as many games as I wanted to because of irl getting in the way, also lost a few more times than I liked to. I peaked around 1775 but finished on a losing streak so I think I'd be somewhere around 1720 if I'm lucky. I think my record might have been roughly 35-15 maybe? May as well write up something...

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Mewtwo @ Lucky Egg (whoops)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Dark Pulse
- Trick

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP
- Transform

So yeah just threw some stuff together. My most common team composition ended up being Rotom, Ditto and Xernaes because I found so many teams would lead with their sweeper (Char-X, Xern) and would proceed to setup. So after a powerful volt switch out I'd have ditto in ready to kill, hopefully I'd have enough things dead by then to bring in my own Xernaes or sometimes M-Kanga to finish the job. As I got higher I was seeing more Chomp and even Mamoswine so volt switching wasn't so easy in the end. I also used Ferrothorn quite a lot and I love it now. I hadn't played a lot of battle spot before this but I knew I needed something to deal with M-kang, but it was able to do so much more work than that! Ditto was valuable as well, as I had no answer for Char-X and it became my way of dealing with Xernaes if I wanted to save Ferro for their Kang

I think I saved a couple of interesting replays but I don't have my DS on me atm.. One I remember was I think a 1v1 situation with my Mewtwo against a Kangaskhan. I used Will-o-wisp a couple times in a row (despite him already being burned) to try and discourage his use of sucker punch, I ended up predicting right and going for psystrike the turn he went away from SP and got the win.

Think I might try giving regular battle spot a serious try now. The number one spot in singles in Australia is only 1778 or something so if I can get up there I'd be happy!

I ended up with a little over 1900, pretty happy with that, can't remember the exact record but it was something like 59-17. It was weird playing a meta where you couldn't even tweak your team but overall the comp was quite fun. GG to anyone I played, there were definitely some good matches towards the end

What I used:
Mewtwo @ Focus Sash
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Sand Stream
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Aegislash @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA + 0 Spe IV
Quiet
- Shadow Ball
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Yveltal @ Life Orb
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Rough Skin
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

Sash Mewtwo and ChopleTar were the MVPs. I lead with Mewtwo almost every time, with the Sash + powerful attacks it put pressure on right away and it was crazy how many Mawiles led only to get KOd by Fire Blast after surviving Sucker Punch. ChopleTar was amazing to handle Yveltal/Mewtwo and its unexpected moves helped clutch quite a few games. I'm really surprised how uncommon Tyranitar was in general tbh

Apart from those it's a pretty generic team. I put Gyro Ball on Aegislash at the last minute and I'm glad I did as Geo Xerneas was pretty much never a threat. Yveltal was probably my least used mon, though if I ever got a free Sub up (thanks Aegislash) it was incredibly hard to stop

Now that the competition is over, I'll reveal my sets and scores! I have around 27-6 or 25-8, don't remember but I gotten a rating around 1750s. Pretty decent considering that I rarely go around that . Most of my losses were just from stupid mistakes and hax (well, I still won even when hax is against me but still..!), but I have no complaints.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- EQ
- Rock Tomb

The most killed Pokemon on the team before it KOs a Pokemon :/. I could've used a Focus Sash instead of a Lum Berry because there are too many matches where the opponent would use attacking moves. Still saved it from random burns. Rock Tomb is just here to nail Fire/Flying Pokemons and incoming switches. Really helpful with the Speed Drop as well as the buffed accuracy and base power. Rest of the moves are just standard.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy/Filter
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- EQ
- Rock Slide

My answer to Xerneas, Kangaskhan, Talonflame, and most of the "Standard" Pokemon. He really impresses me on how he survives so many attacks, even with uninvested Sp. Def. I prefer the investment in Attack so I can really catch people off guard with his amazing strength. Thunder Wave is really useful, especially at near end games for my other Pokemon to finish, unless that Pokemon has a strong priority. Rock Slide is here to nail random Flying Pokemon and for second STAB if I decide not to Mega Evolve Aggron. The rest of the two attacks are pretty explanatory. Also, Kudos for me to use a different Mega Pokemon instead of standard *coughKangaskhancough*

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
EVs: 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere

Just a standard Mewtwo, though I wished that I used a different item to get immediate power and no restriction if I plan to use Mega Aggron. I know Modest isn't the best nature for Mewtwo, but it grants a huge bust with Mega Mewtwo Y that I cannot deny it. Also, when it Mega Evolves, it still has enough speed to outrun Greninja and other base 120s. I still don't like how it has decreased Defenses just for a boost in attack, which it never used (really painful to pray for Mewtwo to survive priority attacks):?.

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
EVs: 192 Hp / 252 Atk / 64 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Will o Wisp

I really need to change the Evs because Talon can only outspeed neutral 100s and even so could be nailed by Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Return if I want to use Fire attacks. But that extra HP could work so it can fire out more attacks before it faints. Will o Wisp is here to catch physical attackers off guard and Rotom switches, which really makes it easier for me to handle the match. Tailwind is here as a last ditch effort if Talon cannot KO the opponent but the other Pokemon can by outspeeding. Sky Plate is really helpful to bluff for a Choice Set, plus it's nice to KO many Pokemon who think they can survive a Brave Bird.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

My Fairy type and answer to most Darks and Dragons. I could've made a Grass/Fire/Water core by replacing another Pokemon with something like Ferrothorn, but it's migrated from Black 2 so I can't really do that. I used a Choice Band on it to copy Mega Mawile's Power (really inspired me to use a Choice Band Azu. These two Fairies OHKO alot of Pokemon!) and get immediate KOs. But for some reason I still don't use it often probably because I feared that it'll be instantly KOed.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute

My favorite Legendary and set, it really guarantees Koes and momentum with my pacing. Nice recovery in Oblivion Wing can make up with Substitute and Life Orb recoil and a nice STAB to destroy fighting types. Focus MISS is here to destroy Mega Kangaskhan and random Rock and Steel type Pokemon. Still would be best if I had Sucker Punch and even with a Timid Nature, it's still powerful to finish Pokemon off.

Fun Facts:
- I got haxed ALOT for Will o Wisp. Why does it miss a lot? It missed two times in a row even with 85% accuracy! Focus Blast never missed for me!
- Yveltal has 0 IV in Speed :(.
- Too many times opponents would use a not very effective move to finish off Aggron. He still lives.
- What's with the "all shiny" Pokemon team? How much time or programming skills the players have?

Yeah I'm certain it was you. I remember that AV yveltal. I don't actually remember how the match played out, I think I brought rotom, Ferro and maybe ditto? Yeah I though for sure you'd bring xernaes so I could set up imposter ditto and win the match (brought Rotom to volt switch out on the geomancy) but you went with garchomp and Yveltal (can't remember the third, did I forfeit or did Yveltal really beat me that bad?)

And yeah i saw the rating was 1,9__ and may have freaked out lol, so I probably saw the 1930 as 1980!
That was the trick of my team! I expected everyone to bring some sort of Xerneas counter/check to their team so I always bring the AV Yvetal which handles most of them well (ie Aegislash, Scizor, Ditto). I actually thought you brought your Xerneas too so Scizor was my third guy. I am not sure but I think the battle ended in Yveltal vs Ferrothorn? At the time, I thought your Ferrothorn would definitely pack leech seed to stall my Yveltal.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That was the trick of my team! I expected everyone to bring some sort of Xerneas counter/check to their team so I always bring the AV Yvetal which handles most of them well (ie Aegislash, Scizor, Ditto). I actually thought you brought your Xerneas too so Scizor was my third guy. I am not sure but I think the battle ended in Yveltal vs Ferrothorn? At the time, I thought your Ferrothorn would definitely pack leech seed to stall my Yveltal.
Yeah I considered leech seed + protect on Ferro but I wanted to be able to set up stealth rock and also have attacking options so I ended up putting t-wave on for support...

Hmmm well I was regretting not bringing my Xernaes to that battle after seeing both Chomp and Yveltal but yeah that Scizor would have stopped it anyway! I also considered leading with Mewtwo as well which in hindsight probably was my best option.

That brings up another thing, the selections you make off team preview are so crucial, games can be decided then and there! Thankfully there weren't too any times that I go crucified for my decisions but it's definitely something I have to improve on

Ying

2014 April Friendly Winner
I have only been playing since October. This whole competitive aspect of the game is new to me but I'm making the best of it. Sitting at only 39 wins (not ashamed LoL) we all start from the beginning.
My comment is after all the IV,s , EV,s movesets and theorycrafting I have read and learned I find it came down to being able to move first and switch out the least. I fully understand that I have a big learning curve and maybe not executing moves in proper order 39 wins almost a 50% split first time out I'll settle for positive attitude I did learn alot but I can't help but feel SPEED AND AVOIDANCE is key. But like I said before I'm glad I did it and happy with my wins when I did win. This site is amazing for the info it provides and examples. My first post on the site hope it isn't foolish good luck everyone...
I also just started playing Pokemon competitive in October with the release of X & Y. The last games I played before were Firered and Leafgreen years ago. At first i had problems with all the new Pokemons and the possible Movesets/Abilities. But I learned a lot from playing Battle Spot and watching good players play. I'm currently trying VCG out and maybe after that I'll play 6v6 Smogon rules.

friendlyfinish.jpg
Finshed the tournament with 55:5 ~1995 rating.
Hopefully its enough to win it. xD I'm really happy with the result.
I think the team I played was too good/unfair. I used SwagPlay against opponents that didn't had answers for it. But most of the time they would have counters, which gives me an advantage since I know what they will be bringing.
It's just a Win/Win. I really liked Substitute+EQ on Mega-Kang, because it wins almost everytime 1v1 against Aegislash. I also used Will-O-Wisp on my Life Orb Mewtwo, which was very useful against Sucker Punch users. Rotom-H also did a lot of work seeing all those Scizors/Talontflame/Ferrothorn/Mawile in this Format.

I also just started playing Pokemon competitive in October with the release of X & Y. The last games I played before were Firered and Leafgreen years ago. At first i had problems with all the new Pokemons and the possible Movesets/Abilities. But I learned a lot from playing Battle Spot and watching good players play. I'm currently trying VCG out and maybe after that I'll play 6v6 Smogon rules.

View attachment 12671
Finshed the tournament with 55:5 ~1995 rating.
Hopefully its enough to win it. xD I'm really happy with the result.
I think the team I played was too good/unfair. I used SwagPlay against opponents that didn't had answers for it. But most of the time they would have counters, which gives me an advantage since I know what they will be bringing.
It's just a Win/Win. I really liked Substitute+EQ on Mega-Kang, because it wins almost everytime 1v1 against Aegislash. I also used Will-O-Wisp on my Life Orb Mewtwo, which was very useful against Sucker Punch users. Rotom-H also did a lot of work seeing all those Scizors/Talontflame/Ferrothorn/Mawile in this Format.
55-5 is an impressive result! Mind sharing your team with us? I tried this comp with no legendaries just good' ol regular pokes and ended with 32-15, missed out on last day due to work so didn't fully finish my 20 matches. I think this comp is quite lope sided towards legendaries, hopefully in the future GF would do a non-legend single match.

Onicon I was the guy who played you with Fire Fang Mawile I'm pretty sure :P I was like wth Jumpluff (with no idea what to expect)
Must have been my sister Pisce. Are you sure that that is the right forum? As far as we remember we only said that thing about Fire Fang on Pokécommunity.
Anyway, unfortunately Jumpluff couldn't perform at its best in that match. It still is our MVP for most of the time because it is quite easy to lock unwitting opponents into Fake Out and Swords Dance with a fast Encore (in fact, at least four Scizors SD right into our Jumpluff). Its real perk is the combination of Reflect and Memento, which makes it much easier for Xerneas or Kangaskhan to set up and to survive Talonflames. Maybe we should combine it with Charizard-X next time who usually cuts through Steel types like a hot knife through butter. The only ones that could stop Jumpluff from doing anything are Taunt Greninja and Taunt Mewtwo but no one runs something like that. We think the match would have been a bit less one-sided when we would have Fire Fang on our own Mawile for Ferrothorn instead of Brick Break. We thought that Screens + setup would be a bit more popular than that. Besides us the only other player we have seen used a DS-SwagKey who was setup fodder for our Lum-Sub-SD-Garchomp.

We definitely need a better steel check next time. We have now but it was rather difficult to find and breed a functional Rotom-H at that time. We are stuck slightly below 1750 Juniors with 60 matches, which is unacceptable - and apparently the lowest rank here.

After playing with my team of Mega Mawile/Rotom-H/Garchomp/Trevenant/Azumarill/Jolteon, i'm fairly sure I would've switched Jolteon for a dark type since my team has a huge weakness to ghosts, and in particular specs Gengar, besides Mawile's sucker punch. I finished with about 25-15 with school getting in the way of being able to do the last 2 days and a rating of about 1650, which, as far as I can work out, is one of the lowest here :/
On the other hand, I did manage to record a video or Mega Mawile single-handedly defeating Xerneas, Yveltal and Mewtewo-Y, which I'll upload when I get time. Overall I enjoyed the competition, and I'm pleased with 25-15 considering I got 29-31 in the XY Beta Competition.

After playing with my team of Mega Mawile/Rotom-H/Garchomp/Trevenant/Azumarill/Jolteon, i'm fairly sure I would've switched Jolteon for a dark type since my team has a huge weakness to ghosts, and in particular specs Gengar, besides Mawile's sucker punch. I finished with about 25-15 with school getting in the way of being able to do the last 2 days and a rating of about 1650, which, as far as I can work out, is one of the lowest here :/
On the other hand, I did manage to record a video or Mega Mawile single-handedly defeating Xerneas, Yveltal and Mewtewo-Y, which I'll upload when I get time. Overall I enjoyed the competition, and I'm pleased with 25-15 considering I got 29-31 in the XY Beta Competition.
Don't worry, I had pretty much the same score as you did, so you are not the lowest.

Also good work with your teams guys! After reading what you guys had to say on the tournament, I was able to get a better sense of what the top tier was using and how I could have built a team, but that is all hindsight anyway. Looking forward to May International, even though I rarely play VGC.

Overall I think I did pretty well considering I was not prepared for this competition at all. I went in thinking it was VGC rules and threw Protect on a couple of my Pokemon randomly. This was my first online competition and it was very fun!

I only used 61 matches and went 38-23 with a rating of about 1715 (i think). I stopped thinking it was enough to be around top10, but after reading through the message boards, I was clearly wrong!

Anyway, this is the team I used (remember this was the first time I tried this and felt I was unprepared)

Talonflame @ No Item
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz

My life-saver. Talonflame won me so many battles I can't possibly thank it enough. I preferred to go with Acrobatics over CB Brave Bird because I felt like the recoil damage was not worth it and it would still get the job done. Talonflame was the Mega Mewtwo X Killer. He absolutely dominated it and a ton of other fighting types. I was able to take out a Xerneas and Rotom-W with a +2 Acrobatics. Definitely the MVP!

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- U-Turn
- Dark Pulse

Greninja was actually rather disappointing in all honesty. I expected it to be able to OHKO a lot of the pokemon I would encounter or at least do over 50% on Mega Kangaskhan. However, obviously with a Life Orb this wasn't possible (I didn't have one at the time). Overall, it did serve very well against Garchomp and Yveltal. It was able to one shot Garchomp every time but failed to one-shot some Yveltals (again, Life Orb would have helped).

Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Sucker Punch
- Power up Punch
- Earthquake
- Protect

Unlike the common Mega Kangaskhan, this one is Jolly and is invested in Speed rather than HP. Also, Protect was on there only because I thought this was going to be a double battle format. Otherwise, I would have had Return on it. Anyway, Kangaskhan was extremely helpful and helped me win a lot of my battles. Since it was Jolly, i was able to outspeed most pokemon who weren't named Talonflame or Greninja. Against Greninja, Protect turned out to be huge. I would use Protect to get it out of its Dark typing, then use sucker punch to KO it. Sucker Punch was indeed the best move since it took out all Mewtwo Ys, Greninjas, and others.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SpDef
Nature: Adamant
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Not very useful since the Friendly was packed with Xerneas and Greninjas and Azumarills. However, it did do work against all the Yveltals in the game since Yveltal literally could not touch it. It would use Stone Edge to take out the Xerneas and any Talonflame that got stuck with it. However, Rotom-W always stopped it in its path with tis Will o Wisp. Luckily the Lum Berry surprised some of them and allowed me to KO them with Stoned Edges.

Goodra @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

Goodra was supposed to be the Rotom stopper. However, I would find myself burned and volt Switched on. My Weakness Policy never activated once during this Friendly. Also, I think Goodra was the reason I lost so many battles. I used Goodra a whole lot and lost most of the matches it was in. I did not realize that the contest would be so Physical heavy. My Goodra kept getting OHKOd by Outrage Garchomp, Geomancy Moonblast Xerneas, and a bunch of other dragon types.

Slowbro Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SpAtk
Nature: Bold
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Light Scren
- Thunder Wave

Definitely should have kept Slack Off over TWave, since TWave proved to be useless. However, Slowbro itself was magnificent. It took any physical attacker and would force switch outs or I would burn them with Scald. Slowbro definitely won me a lot of battles. It was easily stopped by Rotom-w or any Electric type out there and Yveltal. However, Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Charizard X would be completely walled by it and would get pummeled by Scald.

Overall, I thought I did pretty well considering all the factors named above. I definitely got a better experience of 3v3 and ended up liking it alot. I will now participate in the Seasons for Battle Spot (never did it before). It was a blast!

Final Thought: Predicting the starter pokemon turned out to be HUGE in order to win a battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)