CAP 18 CAP 18 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Hadeep

Hades is the Greek "hell", and hell is often fiery; deep referring to the ocean deep, where the vampire squid lives

Pronounced: "HAY-deep"

Final Submission

Octoburn

"octopus" + "burn"

Pronounced: OCK-toe-burn

Octoburn is easy to say, understand, and remember, and much simpler than some of the other names here.

Final Submission

Esquidsite

Combination of Exquisite + Squid

Pronounced: es-QUID-zit
IPA: ɛskwɪdzɪt

Exquisite: "of special beauty or charm, or rare and appealing excellence, as a face, a flower, coloring, music, or poetry." You know there's something special about a Pokemon that has a mustache. Alakazam and Jellicent are all fine examples of classy Pokemon, and they're very usable in battle. And as a Pokemon designed to take a couple of OU misfits and take them to the top as a core, well, you know it's gotta have some sort of insane patience not to go berserk. And as for the squid part... it's a squid. Yeah.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
not final submission
-----------------------
Aquapoda
Aqua = Water
Poda = ending of Octopoda, the genus name of the Octopus species.

Opinions?

not final submission
-----------------------
Aquapoda
Aqua = Water
Poda = ending of Octopoda, the genus name of the Octopus species.

Opinions?
interesting idea but since this is a squid not an octopus maybe aquateuthis to get the same effect but with the genus for squid.

Final Submission

Poulpyre

A combination of "poulpe", which is French for octopus, and "pyre"

Pronounced: POOL-pyre
IPA: puːlˈpaɪər

The French term for octopus ties in with generation 6's French inspirations, while how it's pronounced further emphasizes its Water typing.

Since I have yet to get feedback on which name I should take, I decided to create a poll. Please vote here. (All done) It only takes 10 seconds (hopefully)

The Names

Lucernabyss
Pronounciation: loo-SAIR-na-bis

Lucerna ("lamp" in Latin) + Abyss

This name is evokes a "light in the dark sea" sort of feel which I feel this CAP exemplifies. Sort of like an Anglerfish, using the light to draw the prey towards it.

Lamiabyss
Pronounciation: la-MI-a-bis

Lamia ("vampire" roughly in Latin) + Abyss

This name was made to showcase more of the "vampire squid" aspect of our CAP. It is the vampire of the deep I guess.

L names are best names.

Edit: Thanks for voting. I decided to go with Lucerabyss as it got the most votes and I want to enter the submissions early. Thank You!

Last edited:
Is it too for a WIP? Forgive me, but time shenanigans and all.

Viscosqui

"Viscosity", the amount of resistance in a fluid + "Squid", the animal it is based off of. A pun based on team friction and water friction.

Pronunciation: this-COS-skee

Celsink

"Celsius", a unit of measurement for temperature + "Ink. Also "Sink", referring to submergence.

Pronunciation: shell-sink

Final Submission

Lucernabyss

Combining "Lucerna" (lamp in Latin) and "Abyss"

Pronounced: loo-SAIR-na-bis
IPA: luː'sɛərnəbɨs

Since we are forming a trio with Lucario and Latias, our CAP should have a name that starts with "L". I envisioned this CAP as like the "light" in the deep sea, and since lamp has a fiery connotation, the root "lucerna" would be appropriate. The abyss part is self-explanatory. This name evokes an image of the Pokemon using its light to draw in its prey, leading them towards their consumption.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Charredbis

"Charred" (cooked or burnt) + "Charybdis" or "Kharybdis" a Greek Sea Monster that creates whirlpools

Pronounced: CHAR-ed-bis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)