DS and Wii online services to be fully killed May 20th this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm just going to get a Powersaver and get all my competitive mons from that. Screw all the transfering, RNGing, and other shit.

Question: will all this affect Virtual Console at all?
According to this, "Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time."

So you'll still be able to buy new VC games for now. The only thing that's affected is the free online support for games.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ah man that means I cant play brawl or mario kart with friends anymore does it? This is wicked unfortunate... :c

I assume that wii games would not work online if played on a wii u either right?

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Apparently a user on GBA temp is working on a custom GTS server that goes beyond mere DNS spoofing. I know that this will likely not be compatible with retail carts unless you edit the code, but if you guys know anyone good at networking or programming, check this project out.

Barring coding barriers, most of the technical stuff for Pokemon is saved. Wi-Fi for 4th and 5th gen isn't gone forever thanks to the efforts of the hacking and reverse engineering community.

Ah man that means I cant play brawl or mario kart with friends anymore does it? This is wicked unfortunate... :c

I assume that wii games would not work online if played on a wii u either right?
The Brawl and MK communities are working on private servers, iirc MK is close to having a working one. You can sift through this thread, the link is somewhere, but I know someone in the MK community is close to having a working one and the infrastructure is there.

And yes, that is correct - DS games won't work on the 3DS either.

Rest assured, for the popular games, the hacking and reverse engineering communities have made sure that Wi-Fi for those games isn't lost forever - most of the technical workings have been figured out since the announcement. We are down to the wire, but perhaps in the future working private servers will be available.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well thats good to hear. If they manage to get these servers to work, I wonder how easily accessible they will be? Im sure they wont be able to handle nearly as many people playing at the same time as the public servers.

Well thats good to hear. If they manage to get these servers to work, I wonder how easily accessible they will be? Im sure they wont be able to handle nearly as many people playing at the same time as the public servers.
I actually think it's a bad idea. They could make you pay for it, or worse.

So in other words Nintendo will be cutting all wifi support for B2W2, a game that is less than 2 years old and is advertised as having online content. The Dream World shutdown was egregious enough, but this is outright disgraceful. I understand shutting down servers for older games like MKDS and Metroid Prime Hunters, but B2W2 being shut down is just wrong.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
This is more Nintendo being short-sighted than being cheap or malicious. The root of the problem is GameSpy and its acquisition in 2012 by a bunch of moneygrubbing jerks known as Glu Mobile. They thought they could blackmail game companies using the GameSpy service by jacking up the prices but their subscribers simply refused to pay and now GameSpy services are shutting down. You can read about it here and here.

However, I do blame Nintendo for short-sightedness and seemingly being a generation behind when it comes to features. The problem with Nintendo games versus other affected by the shutdown are the following:
1. The games themselves reference GameSpy servers directly in their coding. This makes migrating official online services an impossible task and not an issue that can be solved by elementary DNS spoofing. I brought up the hacking and reverse engineering communities above, but even if private servers are set up, you need to modify your cart to somehow apply a noSSL patch. As mentioned, the workings are pretty much figured out so the problem is mainly editing software.

2. Going from the above, Nintendo made no allowance for the potential collapse of GameSpy and did not host alternate (read: in-house) online services until the 3DS. They are not assisting fans in any way in figuring out alternative solutions, whereas as you can see in the links I posted other companies are more...collaborative with the fanbase.

There are games taken offline all the time (part of the reason that I don't do console gaming besides the 3DS, gaming should not be a transient experience imo) but at least for the PC, services like GameRanger and Hamachi can help pick up the slack. In conclusion, the problem is decisions Nintendo made in 2003-2005, not in February 2014. But if you don't want to get angry at Nintendo, then send your pitchforks and torches over to Glu Mobile. If it makes anyone feel better, their own tactic backfired on them - they screwed themselves over by losing subscribers due to unscrupulous business practices. Let's hope that going forward, this fate does not befall 3DS and Wii U games when the time comes.

Eh, since they are older games they will likely appeal to niche audiences and won't have a huge amount in the first place. MK and Brawl might have their own stuff in order to handle server loads. Some of them might require some hardware juggling to apply a noSSL patch depending on the game. Sorry I can't be of further help since I'm not part of either of those fandoms, but I've posted as much information as I know.

I actually think it's a bad idea. They could make you pay for it, or worse.
Thank you for your thoughtful and informative post that shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Since, you know, they're skirting legal lines as is and everything is open source ._.

Last edited:
Guys, I should've said this earlier, but the reason that they don't care about BW2 getting no Wi-Fi is that they alredy know what we do with the DNS and Fake-GTS to hack Pokémon with no effort. They don't want us to use them in their VGC's and stuff. Plus many other games also got their access to the server "hacked".

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Guys, I should've said this earlier, but the reason that they don't care about BW2 getting no Wi-Fi is that they alredy know what we do with the DNS and Fake-GTS to hack Pokémon with no effort. They don't want us to use them in their VGC's and stuff. Plus many other games also got their access to the server "hacked".
We wouldn't do it if getting good stats wasn't so fucking luck based.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Looked through some of the information about the patches in those links and I get the feeling that it would not be easy to use if you are not familiar with the programs they are using. Its some fairly complicated stuff. I also doubt that they would be able to finish getting the server up and running in time for the wifi shut down although Im not sure if actually having the wifi still available is still needed to finish up what they are doing.

You can't use those Pokemon in VGC anyway, you can only use Kalos stamp mons, so that's irrelevant

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Quoted directly from http://serebii.net/index2.shtml

A list of everything which is impacted as regards to all of the Wifi set ups of the games.

Serebii said:
On Tuesday May 20th, due to Gamespy shutting down all their services the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, the online feature for all DS and Wii titles, which is run by Gamespy, is shutting down. As such, multiple Pokémon titles are to be hit by it and so their online features are to be inaccessible. Seeing as there has been some confusion, I have compiled this small table that lists all features of each game affected. Note: All 3DS titles, including Pokémon Bank, aren't affected by this shut down. All local wireless features on DS games will also continue to work.

Apparently a user on GBA temp is working on a custom GTS server that goes beyond mere DNS spoofing. I know that this will likely not be compatible with retail carts unless you edit the code, but if you guys know anyone good at networking or programming, check this project out.
My reputation precedes me! :D

Mine works in basically the same way as IR-GTS and Pokecheck but actually implements the whole thing in an authentic manner instead of just enough to hack in Pokémon. It still needs the official server to authenticate but I plan on pairing it up with one of the fan-run authentication servers after May 20.

I just dropped by to tell you about this (but apparently don't need to !) and to let you know that I've written a Battle Video crawler and plan to back up all the Battle Videos I can before the close. You can add your own videos at:
http://foundations-gts.cloudapp.net/BattleVideo.aspx

Only Generation IV is supported for now. I'm still working at cracking GenV.

Edit:
1. The games themselves reference GameSpy servers directly in their coding. This makes migrating official online services an impossible task and not an issue that can be solved by elementary DNS spoofing. I brought up the hacking and reverse engineering communities above, but even if private servers are set up, you need to modify your cart to somehow apply a noSSL patch. As mentioned, the workings are pretty much figured out so the problem is mainly editing software.
I'd like to point out that this isn't entirely true. While there might be some legal reasons they can't take the old servers in-house, or more likely, financial reasons (paying a team of coders to do what we're doing), the main reason we need a NoSSL patch is because the games expect the server to present a certificate signed by Nintendo before connecting. Since Nintendo has the private key lying in their basement somewhere, this wouldn't be a problem for them.

It's actually part of my Plan B to petition Nintendo to sign a few certificates for fan-run servers. (Given that the shutdown wasn't their choice, this may not be as Farfetch'd as it sounds.)

Last edited:
Sorry to bump but I have Generation V battle video crawling up. Go ahead and put your codes into it. It would of course be great if Pokécheck would share their gallery of Battle Videos but it's best to be on the safe side.

if only I could find my SD card reader...
the journey of the happiny from my solorun (when it's finished)
pc -> SD card micro -> r4i (pokemon pearl) -> traded to legit cart
easy... well, if I HAD my SD card micro reader.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
Sorry to bump but I have Generation V battle video crawling up. Go ahead and put your codes into it. It would of course be great if Pokécheck would share their gallery of Battle Videos but it's best to be on the safe side.
As far as I know, xfr hasn't been around for a while, but it wouldn't hurt to send him a message. iirc, all videos are saved on Pokecheck's servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)