Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I, for one, think that Groudon/Kyogre may get new versions of Drought/Drizzle that allow for permaweather, since otherwise the storyline of Ruby/Sapphire is kinda ruined. I mean "OH NOEZ! TEAM MAGMA SUMMONED GROUDON AND WERE LOSIN ALL OUR WATER. HELP US!!!" kinda loses impact when you can just say "Oh, just wait a while, it'll fade eventually.".
It's not like there hasn't been gameplay and story segregation before. There is really not any reason this should happen, and I certainly don't think anyone would find it unforgivable if the gameplay does not reflect the lore or flavor of a Pokemon 100% accurately.

Maybe a Chlorophyll clone? It's not like GF isn't redundant with abilities anyway (Huge/Pure Power, Solid Rock/Filter).
Solar Power anyone?
For mixed Solarbeam coverage.
Doesn't make much sense for a ground type though. Always thought Groudon was a fire type when I was younger.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You bring up a good point, specifically on the rivals.

Could GF change major parts of the story? I know for sure rivals was one of the biggest flaws, so I personally hope they do
We don't even have confirmation that these are remakes. For all we know, they could be completely separate stories that happen to take place in the Hoenn.

We don't even have confirmation that these are remakes. For all we know, they could be completely separate stories that happen to take place in the Hoenn.
Game Freak said:
Pokémon fans first enjoyed Pokémon Ruby Version and Pokémon Sapphire Version when it launched in 2003 for the Game Boy Advance. Now, a whole new generation of Pokémon fans will experience the dramatic storyline that unfolds in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

Bite me. The Pokemon series doesn't do curveballs.

EDIT: also what The Village Idiot said.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
It makes me happy knowing the possibility of new megas.

Also, I can't wait for the actual story itself. New rival, move tutors, and maybe even new special forms for Yvetal/Xerneas/Groudon/Kyogre

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To everyone who says that there cannot be any new Pokémon or Megas in these games due to them being incompatible with XY as a result, let me point out that...
While these are relevant points, remember that no mid-generation game has ever introduced new species of Pokémon, only new forms to pre-existing Pokémon. This little difference is vital, since it allows the "incompatible" games to believe the 'mon they are fighting is actually just an ordinary, say, Rotom, but with unusual stats and movepool.

I, for one, think that Groudon/Kyogre may get new versions of Drought/Drizzle that allow for permaweather, since otherwise the storyline of Ruby/Sapphire is kinda ruined. I mean "OH NOEZ! TEAM MAGMA SUMMONED GROUDON AND WERE LOSIN ALL OUR WATER. HELP US!!!" kinda loses impact when you can just say "Oh, just wait a while, it'll fade eventually.".
This would be fine and all, but that would require conjuring two new Abilities out of thin air (as far as X/Y is concerned). A Drought/Drizzle retcon is more likely, because as I stated above, the old games can handle tweaked existing content, but have no way to recognise or handle new content. ORAS can tell XY "This is Drizzle. In battle, it works this way", but not "This is Superdrizzle. In battle, it works this way". X/Y would have a concept of what Drizzle is, and is able to momentarily redefine what it does, but you can't just insert a new ability into them (same with Pokémon, moves or items. See above). Any content you want to be compatible with X/Y has to exist in X/Y already in some form. That's why there are moves there that haven't been released yet, or Vivillon patterns, or entirely new Pokémon we haven't seen yet.

Note that this might mean that new Mega Pokémon are possible to use in battle against X/Y cartridges, but their model wouldn't change upon Mega Evolution. I'm unsure if hackers have tried to trigger an "illegal" Mega Evolution in battle yet, to see how the games would handle that. As evident since RSE, Pokémon games are fully able to accept that the opponent's Pokémon has a different ability, stats and moves than it should, but without changing the sprite. Question is if such a change can occur mid-battle without X/Y glitching out.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not saying this isn't possible, but what else could there be? Tbh I don't know and would like to hear what you think.

ASSUMING, Mega kyogre & Mega groudon, I hope that means the return of perma weather in ubers. It would be kind of boring if there abilities weren't buffed...cause kyogre needs choice scarf to water spout, and I'd like to use kingdra and kabutops in ubers again lol
2 words; NO PERMA WEATHER

Wait, what?
I'd be ecstatic if these are completely new games, but I just don't see that happening. I'm betting on remakes, but hopefull some major changes to NPCs, locations, and tone, so it feels like a new game, but they don't take the risk of making a new story.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pokémon fans first enjoyed Pokémon Ruby Version and Pokémon Sapphire Version when it launched in 2003 for the Game Boy Advance. Now, a whole new generation of Pokémon fans will experience the dramatic storyline that unfolds in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.
That doesn't say they're remakes.

Not saying this isn't possible, but what else could there be? Tbh I don't know and would like to hear what you think.
I honestly have no idea, but it would be a nice break from the pattern if we got a new story in an old region instead of rehashing the same story with improved mechanics and graphics.

This would be fine and all, but that would require conjuring two new Abilities out of thin air (as far as X/Y is concerned). A Drought/Drizzle retcon is more likely, because as I stated above, the old games can handle tweaked existing content, but have no way to recognise or handle new content. ORAS can tell XY "This is Drizzle. In battle, it works this way", but not "This is Superdrizzle. In battle, it works this way". X/Y would have a concept of what Drizzle is, and is able to momentarily redefine what it does, but you can't just insert a new ability into them (same with Pokémon, moves or items. See above). Any content you want to be compatible with X/Y has to exist in X/Y already in some form. That's why there are moves there that haven't been released yet, or Vivillon patterns, or entirely new Pokémon we haven't seen yet.

Note that this might mean that new Mega Pokémon are possible to use in battle against X/Y cartridges, but their model wouldn't change upon Mega Evolution. I'm unsure if hackers have tried to trigger an "illegal" Mega Evolution in battle yet, to see how the games would handle that. As evident since RSE, Pokémon games are fully able to accept that the opponent's Pokémon has a different ability, stats and moves than it should, but without changing the sprite. Question is if such a change can occur mid-battle without X/Y glitching out.
Forgive me for my ignorance, but isn't it possible to patch 3DS games without too much trouble? I don't know if you can fully add things like Pokémon or Abilities, but Nintendo has already sent out patches for the games to correct glitches. Would adding another Pokémon or form via DLC be too hard?

I'm pretty sure a patch will be released to add these new Mega evolutions into X and Y, although I'm doubtful new Mega evolutions apart from Mega Latias and Latios will be added in these remakes.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I doubt there will be more megas as well just because of the fact that the mega latis are in XY. Unless they are event pokemon, there wouldnt be much of a reason to add them in XY when they could be patched in later along with the other new megas. Still hoping for more megas anyway though.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Forgive me for my ignorance, but isn't it possible to patch 3DS games without too much trouble? I don't know if you can fully add things like Pokémon or Abilities, but Nintendo has already sent out patches for the games to correct glitches. Would adding another Pokémon or form via DLC be too hard?
In short, yes. Besides, if they could do that, why leave in Hoopa, Diancie and Volcanion?

Continuing on my previous post, I just had a "loud thinking" session on IRC, with helpful input from many other users.

Considering that the games have shown to be picky about what new content they can be compatible with whenever newer versions are released, it seems strange that GameFreak would only leave two Mega Stones hidden in the coding in X/Y. Mega Lati@s are the only X/Y compatible Mega Evolutions that GameFreak haven't acknowledged yet. Is it possible that these two are the only new MEvos we will see in ORAS? If GameFreak planned on adding more Mega Evolutions this generation, why would they only implement two in X/Y? If they planned on making more Mega Evolutions for X/Y available through patches and events, why did they leave Mega Lati@s hidden in the game files? They'd have a much, much better chance of keeping them secret if they just kept them as patches alongside all those alleged extra MEvos. No, indeed, as far as X/Y is concerned, it seems like Mega Lati@s are the only new Mega Evolutions we're going to get.

Does this mean they will be the only new Mega Evolutions we will see in ORAS?

Not necessarily. While Mega Lati@s may be the only two new MEvos transferable to XY, there may still be plenty more in store for ORAS. Formes and such have been commonplace since FRLG was released, without causing any trouble to the "pioneer games" of the generation. Tweaking existing 'mons is no big problem. In Gen. 6, it's just a matter of playing the Mega Evolution animation, and changing the stats mid-battle. The model would have to remain the same, though (not at all different from how sprites have stayed the same, for, say, Shaymin in D/P). If this works as I think it does, in theory, you could create a hack Mega Evolution for any Pokémon and use it in battle. After all, you can hack in things like Wondertomb already, so this would just be different in that the Pokémon's type and stats change mid-battle instead of before the battle.

Then remains the question: Why, indeed, leave Mega Lati@s in X/Y? What would the point be in leaving data for only two Mega Evolutions, if they're going to add a bunch more later on? Why only make the two transferable to X/Y, while the remaining new Megas have to bang against the walls of incompability?

The answer, I think, is that Mega Lati@s (or at least, the Lati@site) won't be available only through ORAS. I think Latias/Latios, holding their respective Mega Stones, will be distributed as an X/Y event before ORAS hits the shelves. It will build hype for the new games, give people a taste of Mega Evolutions to come, and it will allow you to get both Latias and Latios in your possession. Heck, they did this with Blaziken already.

TL;DR, I think that:
1) There will be no new Pokémon or Mega Evolutions released for X/Y that we don't already know of.
2) There will be more Mega Evolutions available in ORAS, but they won't be able to be transferred to X/Y, just like Rotom-A, Giratina-O, Deoxys-A, Tornadus-T and so on were uncompatible with their "parent games" (yet they could still be used in battle against them).
3) The Lati@sites are event items to be released for X/Y before ORAS come out.

Last edited:
What I was thinking pretty much, if they can patch in fixes to fix bugs in saving in 1 lame city and to secure their wifi battling mode from whatever that peeper program was, it can't be too impossible to patch in Pokemon or move compatibilities if they wanted to.

One thing that I am VERY surprised about is how this is the first time there will be a second release in a generation within 1 year (okay, 13 months). Every other generation it's been at least 2 years.

Am I REALLY the only one who thinks this takes not place in Hoenn? Because most of those are catchable in XY and furthermore, you trade from Hoenn to Hoenn.

They literally said a new fresh take on the story. This could be literally Gen 6.5

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Looks like Nintendo are NOT moving into a 3rd game with XY and instead leaping straight to Generation 3 remakes! Apparently coming this November worldwide again like XY.
Gamefreak hasn't released a third game in a generation since platinum, i.e, two generations and a remake ago. I'd honestly be surprised if they ever do end up making another trifecta.

Am I REALLY the only one who thinks this takes not place in Hoenn? Because most of those are catchable in XY and furthermore, you trade from Hoenn to Hoenn.

They literally said a new fresh take on the story. This could be literally Gen 6.5
Same Statement from earlier said:
I'm guessing it's just trailer jargon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)