MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a gif of it, but there was another replay fail in the Braves-Mets game a few days ago that left me scratching my head.

With two runners on and two outs, Freddie Freeman hit a ball that quite obviously bounced off his foot while he was in the batter's box and started rolling the opposite direction. Replays made the call blatantly obvious, even though the home plate umpire missed it live. However, the fair/foul replay rule only applies to balls in in the outfield or something... so the play was completely unchallengeable.

There will be some growing pains with the new system, but c'mon man!

Killah may not have a gif, but I sure as hell have one!

It's the number one cheater of 2014: Michael Piñetara, also know to me as "The Dominican Dumbass."

Dirt my dickhole. It's like the moron has Alex Rodriguez as his personal mentor. Get caught but get away with cheating. Then go out and cheat some more... Yankee fans should be reaaaaally embarrassed...

Also, check this link out. It's an interactive map of fan allegiance throughout the entire USA. It's kind of cool to see each of the separate baseball nations being outlined. :)

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i love how there are a couple teams that are the favorite teams literally no where (the a's and mets are the two ive noticed so far)

It's the number one cheater of 2014: Michael Piñetara, also know to me as "The Dominican Dumbass."

Dirt my dickhole. It's like the moron has Alex Rodriguez as his personal mentor. Get caught but get away with cheating. Then go out and cheat some more... Yankee fans should be reaaaaally embarrassed...
obligatory mention of 10 game bans being bullshit for starting pitchers

if you want to actually punish someone, make them miss more than one or two starts :@

Imanalt

10 games is probably not even 2 starts, as appealing to move it around until you can shift by a day w/ an offday or something is easy... at the very least make it 11 or 12 to be more than 1 start... To me only giving 10 games is baseball's implicit "sure we don't care youre doing this, just dont be an idiot and make it this obvious"

Imanalt

still no love for the brewers
probably because despite their pitchers palying way over their heads they are only a 17-14 pythagorean.... Id be willing to bet on the pirates having a better record for the remainder of the season.

Crew are for real, though... Obviously not "100 wins real" like they're on pace for, but I did predict them to finish 3rd before the season started (ahead of the Pirates, whose staff I question more than the Brewers'). They've always had a good offense, but their pitching is better (deeper) than it has been in years past. They have some good arms that a lot of people haven't heard of in Estrada and Peralta, and obviously Gallardo and Garza are solid.

Imanalt

Crew are for real, though... Obviously not "100 wins real" like they're on pace for, but I did predict them to finish 3rd before the season started (ahead of the Pirates, whose staff I question more than the Brewers'). They've always had a good offense, but their pitching is better (deeper) than it has been in years past. They have some good arms that a lot of people haven't heard of in Estrada and Peralta, and obviously Gallardo and Garza are solid.
I have trouble saying they're for real when they're getting very lucky on balls in play, and even with that still not putting up a great run differential... they look to me to be a roughly 500 team, the pirates on the other hand have been pretty unlucky on balls in play, and expect to see improvements when (if) taillon and polanco get called up, filling two positions they've been very weak in. I mostly just picked the pirates as a team that should be around 500, but has been underperforming so far.

It doesn't really matter what their run differential is, as long as they're coming through in one- and two-run games, which they are right now... a significant reason for that is because of K-Rod; granted, what he's doing is unsustainable, and I would say their pitching in general is overachieving, but I also think we've yet to see the best from their offense either. if they finished .500 for the season, I wouldn't complain (Cards fan), but I don't see it happening. obviously, we have our own problems to worry about anyway

Imanalt

On another note... what the fuck is up with the marlins this year? adjusting for run differential, quality of opposition, and luck off of how often plays resulted in runs baseball prospectus has them as being the best team in baseball. ( http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/index.php?dispgroup=all&submit=Go ). Obviously they aren't actually that good, as they have a bunhc of players playing over their heads... but how good or bad are they?

First off...

Dinosaur!!!

Second off, when it comes to the Marlins, they can be absolutely for real. There is always a team or two every year that gets written off in spring training and then somehow ends up putting everything together. It was the Red Sox last year, the O's and the A's in 2012, the Diamondbacks in 2011... I'd take them seriously. They have the pitching with Fernandez, Eovaldi, and Alvarez to match up with anyone else's pitching staff in the NL not named the Dodgers. Their offense isn't fantastic, but they have pieces like Stanton, Salatlamacchia, and Ozuna who can make some noise and score some runs. It's still pretty early still to jump on the Marlins bandwagon... but they should definitely have your attention.

Also dinosaurs.

I don't know if the Marlins are legit, but I do know Giancarlo has clutch hits for days

Also, obligatory mention: Stanton has as many home runs so far this season (11) as the entire Padres regular starting eight batters.

Imanalt

How about the 393 babip thats letting him get on enough to steal that many bases.... hes going to keep stealing some bases, but hes gonna slow down as he reaches less...

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
His babip will normalize a little bit, but not all the way to .300, fast players make quite a bit of their own luck. Even with the expected ba regression he's a threat to steal any time he reaches base.

I wish I could comment on how 170 lb Dee looks vs the old 145 lb'er, but I don't have a channel to watch him on yet.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think this might be the first time I've had a fantasy baseball team in the Smogon League that's legitimately good. Until now I don't think I'd ever hit first place (maybe in like week 1 or smth). Tulo, Stanton, Brantley, Arenado, and Melky on offense; Darvish, Samardzija and Beurhle on the pitching staff are wrecking face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)