Pokémon Gardevoir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conkeldurr (AV): Hyper Voice already does the job
You basically answered your own question. There are very few moments that Psychic will outdamage all your other moves. Psyshock also gives you a chance against Chansey / Blissey, and if you catch them on the switch in with rocks you can hit Chansey for around 80% total damage in two hits, and flat out 2HKO Blissey. This is a TON more than Psychic / Focus Blast can do. Psyshock also ravages Specially defensive Clefable, Togekiss and Sylveon while beating Volcarona who tries to Quiver Dance in front of you.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, I've been wondering why people use Psyshock instead of Psychic. I've tried to think what pokemon are checked better by psyshock, but the truth is that there aren't many. The pokemon for which psyshock could be useful are the ones with a significantly higher SpDef compared to Def, right? So let's see:

Chansey: takes max 35% from Psyshock, so it's kind of pointless.
Tyranitar: immune to psychic moves anyway
Conkeldurr (AV): Hyper Voice already does the job
Excadrill (AV): resists psychic moves, you should use Focus Blast instead
Heatran: resists psychic moves, you should use Focus Blast instead
Zapdos: runs physically defensive sets more often than special sets
Rotom-W: runs physically defensive sets more often than special sets
Venusaur: runs physically defensive sets more often than special sets
Goodra: Hyper Voice deals the same damage as Psyshock

Psychic is still the superior option when dealing with Zard Y, Volcarona and Sylveon, which is admitelly great. Psychic, on the other hand? It deals more damage (statistically) to the aforementioned Venusaur, while being also better against Gliscor, and Iron Defense Scolipede.

Looking at it, it seems hard to decide which move is the better one, it all boils down to your team. So why is Psyshock so universally prefered to Psychic?
Because Taunt + Psyshock beats Chansey and Amoonguss, which are currently some of the most valuable members of stall. I have never once wished I was running Psychic over Psyshock.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Because Taunt + Psyshock beats Chansey and Amoonguss, which are currently some of the most valuable members of stall. I have never once wished I was running Psychic over Psyshock.
The only time it is better is vs. Baton Pass. But even then it isn't worth not beating Chansey.

EDIT: Not to mention taunt is usually all that's needed to beat BP.

Psyshock is pretty much specifically for Chansey, and it allows you to 3HKO after hazards so if you're running Taunt or Calm Mind you can win. It also allows you to win CM wars, however I don't know if CM Gardevoir is any good.

Psyshock is pretty much specifically for Chansey, and it allows you to 3HKO after hazards so if you're running Taunt or Calm Mind you can win. It also allows you to win CM wars, however I don't know if CM Gardevoir is any good.
Not with that speed and bulk, it is too easily dealt with.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's on its analysis, so I bet it's okay. However, it does seem too easily revenged to be great.

I have barely seen any talk of Gardevoir with stored power. Pair it with a good baton passer and it can hit hard on a lot.

I have barely seen any talk of Gardevoir with stored power. Pair it with a good baton passer and it can hit hard on a lot.
Espeon is a much more practical stored power user, due to the fact that Stored Power is really only good on full BP teams, and Espeon provides everything BP teams need (magic bounce and Baton Pass).

Hmm. One of the main uses for this thing seems to be in giving the player a better matchup against BP teams--and it honestly works pretty well overall (I use a Substitute set). However, I've found that a lot of people are starting to adapt their BP teams by substituting in Mr. Mime for either Sylveon or Zapdos (immune to Hyper Voice, resists Psyshock).

Has anyone found a viable partner that synergizes with Gardevoir well enough on an OU team that helps it out with the few issues it may have against BP teams? I've been trying my hand at Aegislash, but I'm wondering if there are any alternatives.

As much as I love Gardevoir, there's no way she is ever going to fill Blissey's role of special sponge. Her newly improved typing is a huge bonus, but 68 HP vs 255 HP is just no contest, Gardevoir's low HP holds her back from being able to take repeated special hits. Even with 252/252+ defense, her physical defense is nearly identical to a 4/252+ Blissey. Her Mega does nothing to fix her awful physical defense and base 100 speed leaves her easily revenged, so I personally don't see much use for her Mega-evo (not to mention Pixilate is nearly worthless).

However I've used her a lot in NU this gen and she's a great choice, Gardevoir has tons of utility (including WoW which is huge) and hits very hard. Gardevoir will likely have a solid niche as a Dragon counter with her new typing, and will have a many more opportunities to switch in. Trace still works very well in combination to check specific threats like Heatran, and combines well with a Choice Scarf, which is my favorite set. I'm curious to see how viable she will be... at the very least, I'm incredibly happy to know she will be moving on up out of NU!
Let's be honest, Blissey has really lost it's usage this gen. Sure, Blissey has enormous HP and great special defenses, but let's not forget a few key factors here. The introduction of threats such as Aegislash and Mega Kangaskhan, along with old threats like Calm Mind Keldeo, Banded Terrakion, Guts Conkeldurr and Specially Defensive Jirachi hinder it's progress, as all of the latter listed can take advantage of Blissey's nonexistent physical defenses, and set up all over it (Or in Jirachi's case, paraflinch it to death). Even it's own pre-evolution boasts better bulk with the Eviolite.

But we aren't talking about Blissey's flaws are we? It's Blissey vs Gardevoir. Gardevoir boasts better defensive typing, with key resistances to Fighting and Psychic, and a neutrality to Dark and Bug, with bug being important seeing as how Genesect has been moved down a tier, along with an immunity to Dragon, allowing it to check choiced threats such as Garchomp, Dragonite and Salamence. Whereas Blissey, who remains normal this generation, has no resistances, one immunity (which most Ghost types have coverage for) And a weakness to fighting, a type that harbors one of the best, if not THE best physical attacking move-pools in the game. Also, how the hell is Pixalate useless? Before you make Judgement like that, take a look at Gardevoir's move-pool. She has access to Hyper Voice, a 90 power Normal type attack with no drawbacks that can hit through substitutes. Now imagine turning it into a Fairy-Type move with a 117 base power (And that's not even applying STAB yet), coming off a Mega evolution with a whopping 175 attacking, leaving Reshiram and Kyurem-W jealous. With 135 base Special defenses, Keldeo, Latios, Hydreigon, and Espeon, and a fantasic move-pools filled with support options, While Blissey is forced to rely on Flamethrower to keep itself from being complete setup bait for Scizor and Forretress, Gardevoir easily outclasses Blissey in overall tanking capabilities and versatility. Let's be honest, the only thing Blissey has got over Gardevoir is Wish-passing, but that's about it. Mega Gardevoir has much fewer counters than Blissey, and the threat of being outsped can easily be patched up with a Choice Scarf Set:

Mega Gardevoir (F) Choice Scarfed
Ability: Pixalate
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ground
- Energy Ball/Psyshock

Gardevoir is more of an wall than a tank. Even though she checks most special attackers pretty hard, switching into their standard moves means taking way too much damage.

So nothing like Blissey at all.

Why are people comparing Gardevoir to Blissey? Or calling Gardevoir a wall?

It literally can't take any none fighting physical moves, it's special bulk is decent but it can't really run recovery ( it only gets wish-tect) as it would want CM + dual stabs as well as focus blast, shadow ball, taunt and will-o-wisp.

The only really viable sets are 3-4 attack mega with taunt/will-o-wisp, cm mega with 3 attacks and scarf.

So, aim to outspeed Mega Garchomp? Or just invest a bit into Hp, Speed and the rest into Special Attack?

I'm liking this set. :D
Gardevoir @Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace / Pixilate
76 Hp / 180 Speed / 252 Special Attack
- Hyper Voice / Dazzling Gleam
- Physhock / Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind

You're better just running max speed as you can tie with M-Medicham and outspeed all the base 100 that opt to run 40 HP EVs (Chari-Y, Manaphy, etc)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You're better just running max speed as you can tie with M-Medicham and outspeed all the base 100 that opt to run 40 HP EVs (Chari-Y, Manaphy, etc)
The only time you outspeed Zard-Y is when it's Modest, and I'm pretty sure all Manaphy run max Speed since it's almost always trying to sweep.

So, aim to outspeed Mega Garchomp? Or just invest a bit into Hp, Speed and the rest into Special Attack?

I'm liking this set. :D
Gardevoir @Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace / Pixilate
76 Hp / 180 Speed / 252 Special Attack
- Hyper Voice / Dazzling Gleam
- Physhock / Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
I would replace Shadow Ball with Focus Blast so you can get around things like Heatran. The only thing that Shadow Ball really hits harder than HV is Aegislash and that never works out well anyways. If you're JUST aiming to outspeed MegaChomp then yeah that works but since 100 is literally the most crowded speed tier ever, you'll want to run 252Spa252Speed Timid to at least speed tie with everything else. Never use Dazzling Gleam ever, keep Psyshock over Energy Ball always since you can nail Chansey/Blissey and M-Venusaur. Regarding CM, CM is definitely a good set if you're trying to sweep but that's not exactly ideal with a base 100 speed stat. However, a good amount of people prefer Will-O-Wisp because it lets you completely screw over things like Scizor on the switch. If you ever want to go for a coverage move, I'd say replace Focus Blast.

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp

Standard set at this point, the 24 defensive EVs let you switch into a non-specs Psyshock from Latios and avoid the 2HKO. Rest is just attacking.

Gardevoir is neither a wall nor a tank...
Well the point I was trying to make is that while gardevoir is bulky and powerful enough to force out most special attackers besides gengar and aegislash, it's to frail and lacks the reliable recovery to be consistently switching into said pokemon.

Well the point I was trying to make is that while gardevoir is bulky and powerful enough to force out most special attackers besides gengar and aegislash, it's to frail and lacks the reliable recovery to be consistently switching into said pokemon.
Except it's not all that bulky, it gets 2HKO'd and outsped by most relevant special attackers meaning it can't come in on them, only 'force' them out if it comes in after something dies or from a slow VoltTurn.

The only time you outspeed Zard-Y is when it's Modest, and I'm pretty sure all Manaphy run max Speed since it's almost always trying to sweep.
Zard-Y is always Modest (like 99 % of the time) and standard Manaphy runs 40 HP since there's nothing worth that it can outspeed by running max speed, so those extra EVs goes to add a little bulk.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Zard-Y is always Modest (like 99 % of the time) and standard Manaphy runs 40 HP since there's nothing worth that it can outspeed by running max speed, so those extra EVs goes to add a little bulk.
Timid Manaphy runs max speed with bulk since you're trying to sweep with it, and Charziard doesn't always run Modest unless you want Chansey dead and you have SR support.

Hence the team support aspect. Definitely appreciates screens being set up but with the abundance of defog, screens are more difficult to keep around at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)