Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

breh

強いだね
scrubs are weak to fletchling; use that if you want free wins

in all seriouness in a tier wihtout rhyperior it's actually quite good :)

had a few games in

moth is as broken as expected

scrubs are weak to fletchling; use that if you want free wins

in all seriouness in a tier wihtout rhyperior it's actually quite good :)
this is actually pretty interesting considering fletchinder shits all over moth and virizion with acrobatics. whats the standard? acrobatics/overheat/uturn/...?

So I made this HO team and does somehow work.

Spiderman (Durant) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Fang

Call of duty (Basculin) @ Splash Plate
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Crunch

Simbu (Pyroar) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

no (Sceptile) @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

the Burd (Archeops) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Heat Wave

The burd (Swellow) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

btw Bird spam is OP

had a few games in

moth is as broken as expected

this is actually pretty interesting considering fletchinder shits all over moth and virizion with acrobatics. whats the standard? acrobatics/overheat/uturn/...?
In PU (dun deals) Will-o-whisp, Acro, Roost and Tailwind/U-turn is the standard

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
the set breh is using is Will-o-Wisp/SD/Acro/Roost, I tried it out and it is surprisingly effective. Between its solid defensive typing and a fast will-o-wisp, it is a good check to a lot of notable threats and gets a lot of opportunities to set up. It is easily able to clean up weakened teams with a boost or two, and many things it cant break with acrobatics really don't appreciate w-o-w. All in all a really solid mon in NU rn, definitely something to be prepared for.

0. You can use Aurorus in any tier.
I think he means "viable". Well, I guess Aurous might be a good Pokémon when/if PU becomes a thing, but honestly it seems a poor Pokémon even in NU, considering with stuff like Klinklang, Sceptile or Feraligatr around.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I think he means "viable". Well, I guess Aurous might be a good Pokémon when/if PU becomes a thing, but honestly it seems a poor Pokémon even in NU, considering with stuff like Klinklang, Sceptile or Feraligatr around.
Usable as in good.
It was a joke, yes I know what usable means >_>

In all seriousness, I agree with Talpr0ne about Aurorus maybe becoming a good PU Pokemon. It just depends on what drops there. It could even become a decent NU Pokemon if certain things rose in usage, however that isn't nearly as likely as it becoming a decent PU Pokemon.

It was a joke, yes I know what usable means >_>

In all seriousness, I agree with Talpr0ne about Aurorus maybe becoming a good PU Pokemon. It just depends on what drops there. It could even become a decent NU Pokemon if certain things rose in usage, however that isn't nearly as likely as it becoming a decent PU Pokemon.
You can try him out in Dundeals PU (Which has been active since before UU lol) since the tiering done by usage with a few exeptions. f.eks Aurorus and Ariados are allowed despite higher usage while Ramparados and Slaking was banned (lol).

That Aside it can work in NU with a set of Acient power, Tri attack, freeze dry and rock polish with a life orb. But it is ouclassed by just about everything as a setup sweeper.

Uxie seems to be a mini Deo-D of NU.

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Magic Coat / Thunder Wave / U-turn

It's very early in the tier to know much yet, but most of my games so far from both me and my opponent have involved something along the lines of setting up hazards and/or screens, then going into a Shell Smasher, Quiver Dancer or Belly Drummer and attempting to sweep. Venomoth is everywhere and Vivillion is arguably just as good. Focus Sash users are everywhere. It's been one hell of a ride so far, and is the most offensively inclined version of NU I've seen yet.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-118514350

Ditto has also been a really awesome pokemon for me so far to steal any of the plethora of set-up sweepers or deter them from being able to set up in the first place.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi just posting to say that Sticky Web wrecks :o

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation / Knock Off

Shuckle is actually really excellent as a Sticky Web setter, by far the best setter in the tier imo. Excellent mixed bulk combined with dual hazards and Encore to deter setup are really nice traits for Shuckle to have, makes it an awesome supporter. Physically defensive is the best way to go on this mofo, easily eats hits from Normals and takes stuff like Swellow's Brave Bird decently well too so it can set up Web + Rocks. Even avoids the 2HKO from CB Golurk's EQ and non-boosting item Gatr's Waterfall Oo (even w/o Lefties!) It only helps that Webs are really effective right now: with the extremely hyper-offensive nature of the meta, Speed control is fantastic to have, and Shuckle is a great provider of it. Not something to be taken lightly. In essence: don't FUCKLE with the SHUCKLE. :pimp:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Virizion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack / Toxic
- Stone Edge

Scarf Virizion is another amazing Pokemon right now, really underrated and anti-meta as well. Basically, what Virizion does that no other Pokemon can is revenge kill pretty much everything in the metagame. Yeah, I admit Virizion is kinda weak with a base 90 Attack stat, but the truth is that this set revenge kills almost every dangerous sweeper in the tier. For example, sand teams die to this Virizion, as do SmashPass user, Omastar, and other frail stuff like Jynx, Typhlosion, and Durant. As such Virizion does better against offensive teams and setup sweepers.

Also Dat Blast, Life Orb Xatu aka best set in NU stills wrecks Shuckle. To prove its might, here's a replay vs Kushalos: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-118530164

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
A few more noticeable things that came up while playing:

• Kanga is still the killer it was last gen, with the one exception being duoblade right now.

• Knock off hype Sneasel got a massive buff with knock off, now having a reliable STAB to threaten things with. Not to mention it's faster than most of the meta and a lot of things are weak to the dark/ice combo. (It ruins the life for virizion, which I'm all for)
  • Sandslash can beat duoblade as a spinner. Almost enough reason to run it just for that.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if its been brought up but Kekleon is really nice (with protean). A set of shadow sneak/ Pup / sucker punch / recover or coverage is really niche. I also cockblocks banded cc sawk with sneak. Havent seen it yet but it is a monster, after a few boosts it can sweep, it also has great special bulk.

The meta is similar to last gens, sawk spam and trying to find a way to stop it XD. Other things:
Golurk is underated
ludicolo is still a monster

other than that it is suprisingly standard, nothing is too broken, maybe chops tho

Now this thing... Sigilyph is definitely a top tier threat in NU, no doubt about it. However, it can be handled easily with the right tools. The common scarfed Primeape usually runs Punishment to demolish Sigilyph. Also, phasing moves are a pain for this thing. For this reason I run a CM set instead of the Cosmic Power set. It's allot more threatening, especially to teams that are a bit stally because of its awesome ability which allows it to abuse LO without taking damage.

The one and only wall-breaker Flareon. It gets perfect neutral coverage just with two powerful moves, Flare Blitz and Superpower. It gets priority in the form of Quick Attack to KO some faster mons with low health and you can run Sunny Day on this to make your Flare Blitz even more powerful and half the damage of water attacks. It can also support Shiftry, another threat, with Sunny Day and make it twice as fast with its ability Chloryphyll.

252+ Atk Guts Flareon Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr in Sun: 242-285 (77.5 - 91.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

See? This thing is just a complete monster. It doesn't even need speed. It forces mons out and catches other ones on the switch to almost OHKO them after a bit of hazards.

If you do not come prepared for this, then you will lose. The way I stop Gorebyss is with Kangaskhan. I can Fake Out for some good damage and break the sash and then proceed to Double Edge it into oblivion. I dunno if smash-passing will get banned or not. We'll just have to wait and see. It's manageable, so I doubt it.

So Venomoth is gay af and the biggest bully in the tier. An ideal team should have 6 mons that can outspeed and OHKO, but most of us can't really afford that luxury because we sometimes want some utility on our Pokémon. And so I present a possibly pretty crappy set, which can take on Venomoth comfortably and either KO it straight up with Brave Bird or Whirlwind whatever it passes to. The pidgeon also has Defog, which is obviously amazing and having more utility than just beating Venomoth is always nice. Just beware offensive Tinted Lens LO moths, Pidgeot can't take a +1 Bug Buzz from that set after rocks. At full health it can also take anything from unboosted LO Virizion, which could come in handy too.

Pidgeot @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 176 Spd / 248 HP / 84 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

176 Speed EVs outspeed fully invested base 91s (Chatot, Rotom), rest goes into bulk. Lefties are always awesome, Lum lets you check Venomoth even more easily but Pidgeot's overall sustainability suffers as a result, even though it has a recovery move. It can also help against random burns from Flame Body Magmortar and stuff like that (you probably shouldn't stay in on bulky WoW users such as Gourgeist, Pidgeot hits like a pussy).

I've been watching a few NU battles and I've noticed how Venomoth is running rampant with Quiver Dance/Roost/Bug Buzz/Sludge Bomb.
I thought that maybe switching to Soundproof on Bastiodon would be a good move as it's immune to Sludge Bomb and thanks to Soundproof it's immune to Bug Buzz too.
Running Roar is also great if it tries to Baton Pass out you can Roar whatever is switched in and all boosts are lost.
It also seems a good stop to Chatot as well seeing as that has fallen to NU. That puts a stop to the Chatter/Boomburst combo. Seeing as Heat Wave is illegal with Boomburst iirc it has no way of hurting either and will force the switch.
You do lose the luxury of Sturdy but at this point in the metagame I feel it's well worth it. With Bastiodon's sheer bulk it doesn't get OHKOd often except by Ground/Fighting moves which are fairly easy to predict.

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Metal Burst/Toxic
- Roar
- Body Slam/Iron Head

Moves are changeable. Only move that is 100% necessary is Roar.
Opinions?

Mr Barbacle is insulted that he hasn't been mentioned yet, being the best shell smasher ever and such.

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Cross Chop/Brick Break/EQ
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Barbacle has a very useable speed after a boost and incredible attack at +2. Honestly, it sweeps everything, very difficult to stop as water/rock is pretty good coverage. Unfortunately,it has low accuracy on most of its moves and it doesn't get waterfall, I mean what the hell.

TL:DR: Barbacle will eat you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)