Staying away from popularity: Pokemon that you like that others don't and hate that everyone likes

Which one, out of the six Pokemon chosen, is your favorite?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeFennekin

Banned deucer.
Deal with it.

Everyone has them. The Pokemon that you like that no one likes. They are either hated for one reason or another (Emolga, Farfetch'd, etc.), or are overshadowed by other Pokemon (Slurpuff, Meganium, etc.). So, I created this thread so that we can share why we like it, why it deserves more love, etc.
I am just picking one of the six above I have shown for an example, but you don't have to do it the EXACT same way.

Emolga was actually my favorite Pokemon for a long time. I liked it due to how cute it was. It was also different from the other Pikachu clones at the time, because it was the only one with a 2nd typing. It even helped me in some competitive matches, as I used it as an attacker, but I put on Roost so it could restore its health.
The reason people hate Emolga is because of the fact that it is a Pikachu clone. I mainly hear it from genwunners, but even some non genwunners hate this thing. I get that they are sick of Pikachu clones, but there are worse looking 'mons out there (Electrode, Pineco, ect). They also hate it because of its stats. Well, while they aren't very good, its still somewhat decent.
So, I have nothing more to say, other than just share what your favorite Pokemon fall into this catagory.

(Also, there is a poll for which one of the six shown you like best.)

EDIT:
Getting butthurt because of the discussion of unpopular pokemon? Well, too bad, because we are gonna discuss the popular pokemon we dislike now :P
Here is an example:

From the start, I really never liked Aggron. I always thought that its design was a little awkward. It was mainly the face and its sprite from BW/BW2 didn't help. Neither did the XY model. Another thing was its typing. At first, pairing two defensive types seems like the ultimate tank. But it quickly died to a special fighting or ground move.
Speaking of XY, Mega Aggron is my 2nd least favorite Mega Evolution (next to Mega Kangaskhan). While filter is nice, it doesn't make up for the fact that it still dies to a special super effective attack. Its design is still odd, and don't even get me started on the tail.
Now you can discuss more.

Last edited:
Wigglytuff has always been one of my favorite Pokemon, even if I can't really use it competitively. . . even in NU. The whole gen 1 family is freaking adorable - a balloon cat evolves into a balloon rabbit. I mean. . . come on. If it weren't for the red demon eyes, I'd even include Igglybuff. Hell, I actually CHOSE this avatar (randomly-assigned one was Lopunny).

I kind of wish the cutie-mons could just. . . have more of a niche. It's frustrating the way things are now.

AwesomeFennekin

Banned deucer.
Wigglytuff has always been one of my favorite Pokemon, even if I can't really use it competitively. . . even in NU. The whole gen 1 family is freaking adorable - a balloon cat evolves into a balloon rabbit. I mean. . . come on. If it weren't for the red demon eyes, I'd even include Igglybuff. Hell, I actually CHOSE this avatar (randomly-assigned one was Lopunny).

I kind of wish the cutie-mons could just. . . have more of a niche. It's frustrating the way things are now.
Bold is so true.
Also, I always thought Igglybuff had Ketchup eyes when I was younger XD

Emolga may be terrible competitively, but I like it thanks to the Emolga in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity. He's such a spunky little character, and is absolutely adorable. I like it more than Pikachu. But this is also coming from the guy that likes Garbodor, who's quite charming in its own disgusting way.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just saying, it's etc. not ect. Just getting that out of the way.

Not sure if a thread like this is gonna stay anyway, but I pick Meganium. When I played SoulSilver (my favorite Pokemon game at this point) I didn't want to pick Typhlosion or Feraligatr (especially since I picked Feraligatr on like every run of the original Generation II games) so I decided to go with Meganium. Chikorita was a pain in the ass to use since it died to everything, but after using Meganium a lot I've come to really like it, especially when I already liked it just because it is a dinosaur.

I've actually grown to like the Aromatisse family, mostly due to using it in Y. Play with Spritzee in Amie; I guarantee a grin on your face when you're done (though not as much as Helioptile but that's not my point). Plus, in-game it's proving to be a solid member of my team; anything without a decent Poison or Steel move can't do very much to it, and it can just Moonblast your face in, or Draining Kiss your health away, especially after a Calm Mind (it can also use Psychic, but I just got that move recently).

Also, everyone saying Meganium is the worst starter, keep in mind that that's like comparing a four-star hotel to a five-star hotel... or in the cases of Typhlosion or Feraligatr, a six-star hotel.

Ever since soul silver I've loved Ampharos. It was always a reliable member of team as well as being adorable. I remember I'd go to the top of the light house just so it could visit the Ampharos you helped as part of the story.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Used this in my original play through of Sapphire, and loved it, even if it did suck back then (crappy Rock stab, and special Water stab ;-; ). It's improved quite a bit since then, but it's still one of my favorite Pokemon, even if I don't see a lot of other people using it.

Mega Latias and Latios ;-; Everyone seems to hate their Mega designs. It makes me sad...
I think the reasoning isn't necessarily their mega formes themselves, just the fact that they're almost identical instead of being separate designs.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I actually quite like Garbodor, and feel that its stock pose makes it look unnecessarily derpy.

Most people interpret Garbodor as a literal, mutated, torn garbage bag. Truly enough, Pokédex entries say Trubbish is a literal torn garbage bag, but say nothing about Garbodor's origin. So while it may not be GameFreak's intention, Garbodor can be interpreted as an ordinary, though absurdly filthy, animal Pokémon without breaking canon.

I imagine Garbodor to be like trolls, living in small groups, scavenging landfills for waste to eat. They are sluggy and lumpy, and so caked in filth it's impossible to tell where the grime ends and the skin begins. Long, smelly, green fur cover the upper half of their bodies. Gabodor's fingers are short and deformed, but capable enough to grip objects and stuff them inside its mouth, where spike-like teeth and a corrosive saliva makes short work of anything. Its long arms and heavy hands, lookin like lumps of broken concrete, allows Garbodor to strike punches with impressive force, or bury through garbage piles. Like Grimer and Muk, they are generally considered beneficial to keep around landfills, as they eat and process toxic waste, though they may occasionally throw tantrums or attack garbage trucks in search of food.

All in all, exotic and lovable creatures, if you care to look beyond the derpy, torn plastic bag GameFreak has pushed on us. Garbodor are essentially toxic trolls, which is a rather interesting concept if I may say so myself. Here's hoping for an eventual evolution in generations down the line.

Sandslash.

Ironically, it wasn't my favorite Pokémon until YEARS after I started using this screenname. Before that, I liked Aipom, for its overall cute and playful personality. Then, I started using this screen name, and Sandslash grew on me.

And, if I may be honest, I think it's not too bad competitively, a bit underrated. It's ridiculously fast for a pure Ground-type, outdone only by Dugtrio, and has Sand Rush to make it even faster. It's also got decent Attack and the ability to use Swords Dance, both of which Dugtrio lacks. And Sandslash can even learn Rapid Spin to clear hazards too.

I am like the only person on the planet that has Golduck as one of their favorite Pokemon. Golduck isn't a Pokemon that people hate but it is an often ignored Pokemon and I think it deserves some attention.

Design:
Golduck is a duck, if you didn't see that at first glance go test your eyes. However because of Psyduck's headaches Golduck can exhibit psychic powers himself, Golduck does that with the diamond, gem i don't know thinghy on his head. Golduck may have a simple design but it is nowhere near a bad design. Why isn't it a water / psychic type though Game Freak?

In battle:
While Golduck sits in the lowest tier there is ( PU ), it is quite the threat in said tier. One of the reasons it is so good is because of it's versatility. It can run a Physical Choice Scarf set, a special Choice Scarf set. It can even go mixed Choice Scarf. It can use Choice Band or Choice Specs. Golduck can use 3 attacks + Encore, there is the possibility to run Rain Dance + 3 attacks with it's hidden ability Swift Swim. You can use Substitute + Calm Mind or Calm Mind without using Substitute. Hone Claws is even an option if you a physical setup sweeper. It can also run a gimmicky but fun Wide Lens set with moves like Focus Blast, Blizzard and Hydro Pump. If those aren't your cup of tea you can always use a more defensive approach with Subsititute + Disable or support the team with moves like Haze, Clear Smog and Encore. While it's stats might not be the best Golduck is crazy versitile and can be anything you want.Heck you can even use it in BW OU to battle in the weather wars with it's ability Cloud Nine. All of these things make Golduck a great and versitile Pokemon to use and it won't dissapoint you.

Other random stuff:
You may ask yourself why do I like Golduck though. Well the answer is the 2 things mentioned above and admittedly a bit of nostalgia. When I was a kid I always wanted a Psyduck because of the anime and it's general derpyness. Psyduck's are quite troublesome to find in Red and Blue but I found one eventually. I replaced Psyduck with Gyarados however before I got to evolve it into Gyarados and while Gyarados was cool I still wanted to use a Golduck in my first playthrough. Fast forward to Pokemon Diamond when I was getting back into Pokemon and I caught a Psyduck. Buizel was already on my team so I didn't use Psyduck but I left him in the day care once. After I beat the elite four I came back to breed some Pokemon and I found that my Psyduck grew to level 47 all the way from level 10. Not too long ago I also found out it was Modest nature and it had some good IVs making that Psyduck all the more special. Not too long later I decided to replay through Pokemon Gold with a few Pokemon that never really got attention ( my team was Typhlosion, Ampharos, Crobat, Primeape, Sandslash and Golduck. Of those Primeape, Sandlash and Golduck never really got the attention they deserved ) and Golduck was the star of my team. Golduck swept some of the most difficult trainers in the jotho region like Chuck, Clair, Jasmine and even wiped out almost all of Lances team by his own. Ever since that playthrough Golduck has been one of my favorite Pokemon and I will never forget Sir Duck ( that was his terrible nickname ).

I think that he actually has some fanbase, but many people despise Lickilicky. But I can't help my self, I just love the design, even for how derp he looks.
And in battle he's actually very good, one of the most underestimated mons ever.

I used Fearow when i first got Blue, and I loved it. I think I only used Blastoise, Fearow, and Raticate to defeat the elite 4, but that was a long time ago. It's always been one of my favorites besides Articuno of course. Kind of wish it got something, a mega or evolution/ better move pool.

I love Quagsire! It is nice and bulky, has a great ability in Unaware and it is so cute lol

Last edited:
EDIT: Wrong Thread *Jumps off cliff*
well I might as well say another one.
Why does nobody like banette?

Last edited:

AwesomeFennekin

Banned deucer.

I think that he actually has some fanbase, but many people despise Lickilicky. But I can't help my self, I just love the design, even for how derp he looks.
And in battle he's actually very good, one of the most underestimated mons ever.
Its ok, but probably the reason I like it is because of its yellow belly marks.
"Hey guise, we have a full Wifi signal!"

I loved these Pokemon until I got into competitive and found new favorites (Gliscor will always be my favorite though, even though I hate stall). I still really like them, because Muk is an awesome blob and crabs in general are badass.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
uhh have you heard of minun? what are they even teaching kids in school these day

my favorite pokeymon is the electric soldier pokemon, porygon. people say unkind things about him like, "he is pink u (BAN ME PLEASE)ron" and "why don t u like a real pokeymon you fucking looser" but in my heart, he will always be the number one battlefriend

I also like the pokemon "kabuto," not the evolved one just the little baby thing because hes so fuckin cool, way cooler than aerodactyl hes just a big FUCKING gay baby but rly hes pretty cool too but everyone knows how cool aerodactyl is

I like oddish. hes rly cute and also dope. i dont like viloplumes tho especially when they have substitute and gloom's a huge (BAN ME PLEASE)ron

more cool pokemons: shuppet, pawniard and the bigger version of pawniard, scraggler and scrafty,

lame pokemons: FUCKING SQUIRTLE I HATE SQUIRTLE IF I COULD KILL ALL THE SQUIRTLES ON EARTH I WOULD, originally I was an og charmander all day or die type nigga but then i was smoking weed one day and I realized if you pick bulbasaur then you dont have to deal with squirtle ever in your whole life so I made The Switch

Does Seviper count? I have used one in Emerald and it helped me quite a lot. It has an expansive movepool, though terrible speed and defenses.

Honorable mentions go to Gourgeist, Barbaracle, Arbok, Maractus, Cacturne, Aurorus (This is only hated for it's typing, and honestly that's kind of a bullshit reason), Meganium, Cherrim, the Planet Rocks (Solrock and Lunatone), Masquerain and Magcargo. (And some others)

Gourgeist, Barbaracle, Aurorus, Cherrim, Solrock, Masquerain
Glad to see I'm not the only one (is Gourgeist actually unpopular, though?), especially Masquerain who's definitely high in my personal generation 3 top 10. Also echoing Sandslash, Relicanth, Emolga, Muk and Garbodor, and adding Cradily, Drifblim, Gastrodon, Sigilyph, Furret, Mantine, Delcatty, Bronzong and Weezing, all design and/or concept-wise disregarding competitiveness. And the Regis bar Regigigas (whom I don't dislike, but it's not among my favourites).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)