ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion

B SCARED.

QC Checks: Limitless, FLCL, Kitten Milk
GP Checks: horyzhnz,
Overview
########

Hydreigon can utilize its amazing offensive stats and STAB moves to wreak havoc, while its giant movepool takes care of its few would-be counters. The buff to the Dark-type also helped immensely because there are now less Pokemon that resist Hydreigon's STAB Dark-type moves.

However, Fairy-types, which Hydreigon is 4x weak to, limit its capabilities, so it has even more weaknesses besides the common attacking types, Fighting and Bug. Its Speed can sometimes also be underwhelming, being outsped by the many Pokemon that have base 100 Speed and higher; many of the Pokemon in that speed tier are able to KO it, such as Infernape and Mienshao. However, if you play Hydreigon to its strengths, it can be one of the deadliest Pokemon in the tier.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Iron Tail / Roost
move 4: Superpower / Roost
ability: Levitate
item: Life Orb
evs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Hasty

Moves
========

Slap a Life Orb on Hydreigon, and Draco Meteor becomes a nuke that will decimate everything that's not a Fairy-type, a Steel-type, or Blissey. Dark Pulse hits Jirachi if it switches into Draco Meteor and it does a good chunk to Mega Aggron as well. Iron Tail and Superpower are coverage moves to hit Fairy-types and Blissey, respectively. Roost is an alternative if you want Hydreigon to have recovery and don't need the coverage move as much because you have the threats covered.

Set Details
========

The Attack EVs should only be used if Hydreigon is running Superpower so it can 2HKO Blissey after Stealth Rock damage, but if it's not using Superpower, feel free to shove the EVs into Special Attack. Maximum Speed investment with a Naive nature allows Hydreigon to outspeed Haxorus before a boost, and the rest of the EVs are pumped in Special Attack to hit as hard as possible with its STAB moves. A Hasty nature can be used to allow Hydreigon to take special hits slightly better, but a Naive nature is preferred for taking priority moves.

Usage Tips
========

This Hydreigon set excels at punching holes in the opposing team. It appreciates a U-turn or Volt Switch user that can safely bring it in to launch a big hit, and a pivot such as Jirachi that it can fall back to when it is forced out. This set is usually best used on more offensive teams, because it provides a lot of important resistances to Psychic, Dark, Fire, Electric, and Water as an offensive Pokemon. Most of the time it will be spamming Draco Meteor, but if the opponent has a solid counter to the Choice Scarf set, which most people expect, such as Blissey or Florges, try not to reveal the item and lure them out so Hydreigon can hit them hard with Superpower or Iron Tail respectively.

Team Options
========

Jirachi is a good partner, as it can bring in Hydreigon safely with a U-turn and it can beat the Fairies it struggles against. Darmanitan can beat Hydreigon's enemies and pivot with U-turn as well, but has a harder time coming in. Florges switches into Bug-, Fighting-, and Dragon-type moves and can pass Wishes and heal status to keep Hydreigon healthy.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Fire Blast / Dragon Pulse
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid / Modest

Moves
========

Choice Scarf Hydreigon has a powerful STAB Draco Meteor coming from a base 125 Special Attack, which allows it to revenge kill a variety of threats. Dark Pulse is a secondary STAB move that is more reliable and hits Psychic-types. Fire Blast is the preferred option in the third slot to hit Lucario and other Steel-types, but Dragon Pulse is a more reliable secondary Dragon-type STAB move. U-turn is a very important move, as it allows Hydreigon to gain momentum when special walls and Fairies switch in.

Set Details
========

The spread is standard for a special Choice Scarf user; maximum Speed and Special Attack investment. Timid is the preferred nature because you want to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible and Speed tie with opposing Choice Scarf Hydreigon. Modest gives Hydreigon a nice power boost and allows it to KO Nidoking after one round Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Hydreigon can be used on any type of team as a revenge killer because of its great typing, both offensively and defensively. There is honestly no drawback to using it on your team. Early-game, it should be used to scout and wear down the opposing team with U-turn and dropping a Draco Meteor or two, but during late-game, Hydreigon shines, being able to clean a weakened team with its powerful STAB moves.

Team Options
========

Hydreigon is the easiest Pokemon to make a U-turn core with, so Crobat, Jirachi, and Darmanitan all work. They also help Hydreigon take out Fairies, which completely wall it. Although Fairies are Hydreigon's biggest enemy, they are also great partners. They resist Dragon, Bug, and Fighting-type moves, which Hydreigon is weak to so it doesn't have to worry about opposing Hydreigon, faster U-turn users, and Choice Scarf Mienshao. Froslass, Roserade, and Nidoqueen are useful for setting up hazards that weaken the opposing team enough so Hydreigon can get the KOs much more easily.

Other Options
########

Hydreigon can utilize Choice Specs to make the most of its great Special Attack stat, but being locked into Dragon- and Dark-type moves isn't the greatest thing in a metagame where Fairies run rampant. With the combination of Scope Lens and Focus Energy, Hydreigon can use a similar set to the infamous Critdra. It can opt for some interesting support moves such as Toxic, Taunt, Tailwind, and Thunder Wave, but it's usually better off using strong attacks. Choice Band Hydreigon can catch its usual counters off-guard by hitting much harder on the physical side.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types**: Florges, Granbull, and Aromatisse can all switch into Hydreigon's STAB moves with their excellent bulk. Granbull completely walls Hydreigon, as it can use Intimidate to weaken Iron Tail from the mixed set.

**Fighting-types**: Choice Scarf Mienshao can revenge kill any kind of Hydreigon. Assault Vest Machamp can switch into Choice Scarf Hydreigon and hit it with Dynamic Punch or Close Combat, while Lucario can switch once into a scarfed Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse once and set up or use Close Combat.

**Special Walls**: Blissey and Umbreon easily wall the Choice Scarf set because of their high Special Defense and HP stat. They have to be careful around the mixed set, however, as one well-timed Superpower could spell doom for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
on the wallbreaker set, I'd slash Superpower in the 3rd moveslot as a Draco Meteor + Superpower OHKOs Umbreon allowing Hydreigon to get past one of it's better checks

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Some changes I'd like to make, see the quote for details

B SCARED.
Overview
########

+ Arguably coolest looking mon in UU
+ Huge BST of 600
+ Amazing offensive stats and typing
+ Giant movepool
+ Has a typing that takes on the STAB Combo of Mega-Houndoom
- Walled by Fairies
- Awkward Speed tier
- Common weaknesses to Fighting and Fairy
Mention that it has decent bulk, and mention the good and bad things that happened to it in the transition to XY such as the introduction of Fairy-types and the buff to Dark-type moves

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Fire Blast/Dragon Pulse
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD small nitpick, should go in order of stats so 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty/Timid

Moves
========

- Draco Meteor is it's most powerful move, allowing Hydreigon to get the kills it needs.
- Dark Pulse is secondary reliable STAB move and hits Jirachi, Metagross, and Slowbro harder.
- Fire Blast rounds of coverage, Dragon Pulse is reliable Dragon STAB.
- U-turn gains momentum on predicted switches and allows Hydreigon to scout.
Separate Fire Blast and Dragon Pulse

Set Details
========

- Max special attack to hit as hard as possible.
- Max speed with Hasty nature to outspeed opposing choice scarf pokemon like Darmanitan, Heracross and speed tie with opposing Hydreigon. Timid can be used if the drop in defense is an annoyance. Mention that choosing Timid will power down U-Turn. Also mention ability and item even though they're obvious

Usage Tips
========

- Hydreigon is a great asset throughout the whole game.
- Early game it scouts the opposing team by U-turning.
- Mid-game it weakens the opposing team by wearing it down with repeated U-turns and Draco Meteors.
- Late-game it can clean up the opposing team with its blazing speed and the power of Draco Meteors.
- Is also mostly used as revenge killer for Mega-Houndoom and MoxieScarf Heracross

Team Options
========

- Victini, Crobat and Jirachi are great partners for a U-turn combo, they all take on Florges while Hydreigon taken on Slowbro for them.
- Hydreigon appreciates hazard support because of all the switches it forces, so Froslass and Nidoqueen are welcome partners.
Mention bulky pivots as good partners, as Hydreigon will often be forced out due to a misprediction, and having bulky teammates to fall back on helps tremendously

Wallbreaker
########
name: Wallbreaker
move 3: U-turn / Fire Blast /
move 4: Roost / U-turn / Flash Cannon
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD Again, should be in order of stats so 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty/Mild

Moves
========

- Draco Meteor is the STAB nuke you will be using most of the time because of its incredible power.
- Dark Pulse serves as a reliable STAB move to dent Jirachi and other Psychic and Steel types.
- U-turn allows you to switch out of counters like Florges while still doing damage to wear it down, Fire Blast on the other hand gives you more coverage.
- With Roost Hydreigon can get back the HP it loses from Life Orb recoil and hits from pokemon like Slowbro.
- Flash Cannon is useful for weakened Florges, but generally not recommended.
Separate Fire Blast and U-Turn

Set Details
========

- Max SpA and Spe to outspeed and destroy as many things as possible.
- Hasty allows you to outspeed positive natured Darmanitan and Heracross, while Mild gives you more power.
Definitely mention and discuss the two possible item choices for this set

Usage Tips
========

- Best used to break walls early to mid-game.
(add more)

Team Options
  • ========

- A partner that can take out Florges is again welcome.
- Partners that can switch into fighting moves are much appreciated, so packing a Slowbro or a Nidoqueen will help.
Mention bulky pivots once again as it will often be forced out due to SpA drops

Other Options
########

• Defensive ParaShuffler
  • Choice Band
  • Taunt
  • Iron Tail for Florges
  • Superpower for Umbreon
  • Tailwind
  • Focus Energy+Scope Lens for Draco Meteor spam

Checks & Counters
########

• Specially defensive Fairy types can take on most variants of Hydreigon, like Florges and Aromatisse.
  • Fighting types like Mienshao and Choice Scarf Heracross can check Hydreigon.
  • A lot of Psychic type pokemon have access to the coverage move Dazzling Gleam, which will always OHKO or severely dent Hydreigon.
Expand the C&C section
Hope I helped! I might look this over later

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I really don't care for U-turn on the wallbreaker set. YOu wear yourself down more than the opponent with your life orb, it doesnt get any useful coverage, and its scouting ability is limited. I mean, if you think Florges is coming in, just double to a Florges counter and you save 10% hp and a very valuable moveslot. U-turn is lower risk but idk if cost is worth it.

Also does Taunt have any meaningful use? Porygon 2 and Umbreon are not going to be attacking if they come in on Superpower / Draco Meteor, theyll just wish / recover / twave. Taunting right there keeps them worn down. Seems pretty useful to me.

just an thought, but i've found a set of taunt / roost / dragon pulse / coverage to be highly effective in breaking down defensive cores lacking florges, as unlike the more heavily offensive variants, it cannot be as adequately played around through careful switching in order to force stat drops, and it has the utility to prevent recovery and do things like beat crocune 1v1 in a pinch as well.

edit: while i do realize that switching around while in fact wear down defensive reliant on such a method of combatting hydreigon, in doing so they will find a window to regain momentum at one point or another, whereas the given set concedes less breathing room while providing additional utility. figured i'm being p.vague there x_x

Last edited:

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
just an thought, but i've found a set of taunt / roost / dragon pulse / coverage to be highly effective in breaking down defensive cores lacking florges, as unlike the more heavily offensive variants, it cannot be as adequately played around through careful switching in order to force stat drops, and it has the utility to prevent recovery and do things like beat crocune 1v1 in a pinch as well.
I might give Taunt its own set, have to discuss with QC though.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
ass much ass i hate ass vest on random mons it should probably deserve a mention on hyderigon since it has so many useful resistances and is bulky

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm no QC member, but I do have a couple of things to point out:

[Choice Scarf]

- My god, mention Roserade as a Spiker. She shits on Florges and sets up Spikes. I'd be cool with having that

[Roost + Three Attacks]

- Really don't like U-turn + Life Orb when U-turn does shit damage to most things. Maybe mention Expert Belt with it?
- Ironically, Florges can kinda take on Fighting-types, so there's that
- Roserade again. Spikes support to make wallbreaking easier and she shits on Florges

[Physically-Based Mixed Attacker]

- To me, Crunch seems like a legit option on this set. It hits the two Steel-types that EQ (Rachi and Meta) hits while also hitting Slowbro hard. STAB makes it hit harder than EQ too when it comes to Rachi and Meta. Idk, just a thought
- Naive isn't worth it. Most of your resists are on the special side (Grass, Fire, Ghost, Electric, Dark) and it gives P-Z a SpA boost. Just stick with Hasty imo
- Roserade for the same reasons as the other two sets. Makes it easier to hide Iron Tail too as the Florges user will probably Protect if you've revealed Outrage, just to be sure it's safe

[Other Options]

- Remove Iron Tail and Superpower. They're both slashed in sets

That is all. Implement whatever you feel is necessary ~

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Might as well slash specs in on the first set cuz they run the same moves with flash cannon alread in oo and I really don't think LO should run u-turn at all but at least make it last slash

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
I'm no QC member, but I do have a couple of things to point out:

[Choice Scarf]

- My god, mention Roserade as a Spiker. She shits on Florges and sets up Spikes. I'd be cool with having that

[Roost + Three Attacks]

- Really don't like U-turn + Life Orb when U-turn does shit damage to most things. Maybe mention Expert Belt with it?
- Ironically, Florges can kinda take on Fighting-types, so there's that
- Roserade again. Spikes support to make wallbreaking easier and she shits on Florges

[Physically-Based Mixed Attacker]

- To me, Crunch seems like a legit option on this set. It hits the two Steel-types that EQ (Rachi and Meta) hits while also hitting Slowbro hard. STAB makes it hit harder than EQ too when it comes to Rachi and Meta. Idk, just a thought
- Naive isn't worth it. Most of your resists are on the special side (Grass, Fire, Ghost, Electric, Dark) and it gives P-Z a SpA boost. Just stick with Hasty imo
- Roserade for the same reasons as the other two sets. Makes it easier to hide Iron Tail too as the Florges user will probably Protect if you've revealed Outrage, just to be sure it's safe

[Other Options]

- Remove Iron Tail and Superpower. They're both slashed in sets

That is all. Implement whatever you feel is necessary ~
Thx I forgot i slashed in Iron Tail on that new set lol

hasn't the precedent been set that choiced sets should be separated, since they pretty much always play differently ?_?

edit: i'm glad others thought my point was so important that they decided to reiterate it three four different times n_n

Last edited:
Might as well slash specs in on the first set cuz they run the same moves with flash cannon alread in oo and I really don't think LO should run u-turn at all but at least make it last slash
I'm not QC in UU, but in OU that's something that we've really been moving away from, because by nature Choice Specs or Band and Choice Scarf Pokemon play differently and fill different roles, so that's something that shouldn't be done even if they look the same.

Also, to FLCL's suggestion of Assault Vest, this thing gets Roost. pls no

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm not QC in UU, but in OU that's something that we've really been moving away from, because by nature Choice Specs or Band and Choice Scarf Pokemon play differently and fill different roles, so that's something that shouldn't be done even if they look the same.
inefficient rule

Last edited:
They still play completely differently .–. They shouldn't have the same partners, the same usage tips or anything and it's pointless to write two completely different stuff in one set, you're making it unreadable.

And you wanted me to give you Hera, smfh :P

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I kinda have to echo Swamp Link on this one as we did the same thing in RU. Sure, moves, EVs, natures, and such could be the same, but are you going to sit there and tell me that Scarf Hydreigon has the same viability as Specs Hydreigon? The same could be said of Choice Scarf Mienshao and Choice Band Mienshao. Sure, they may both be effective, but I'd be willing to bet Scarf Mienshao is a good bit more viable than Band Mienshao. On the flip side, Choice Band Victini is miles better than Choice Scarf Victini.

Saying that Band / Specs sets fill different roles than Scarf sets for the same Pokemon is a valid point to separate them, but more than anything is the viability. Unless the Band / Specs set is as viable as the Scarf set, I don't think they should be slashed at all. Not only would their playstyles be different, but so would their viability. Unless I'm way off on something, it's always been our job (the analysis writer and the QC Team) to present the sets in order of viability and effectiveness. I for one don't think that slashing choice items, even for movesets that are identical, is a good idea for this reason.

Now, I know that ultimately, it's up to the UU QC Team to determine what is the best way to present analysis for Pokemon in this tier, and as a fellow QC Member of a different tier, I will respect that. However, I didn't feel as though I could just say nothing about something I feel so strongly about. So, take all of this how you will.

Edit: stop with the Greninjaing Ernesto ...

I kinda have to echo Swamp Link on this one as we did the same thing in RU. Sure, moves, EVs, natures, and such could be the same, but are you going to sit there and tell me that Scarf Hydreigon has the same viability as Specs Hydreigon? The same could be said of Choice Scarf Mienshao and Choice Band Mienshao. Sure, they may both be effective, but I'd be willing to bet Scarf Mienshao is a good bit more viable than Band Mienshao. On the flip side, Choice Band Victini is miles better than Choice Scarf Victini.

Saying that Band / Specs sets fill different roles than Scarf sets for the same Pokemon is a valid point to separate them, but more than anything is the viability. Unless the Band / Specs set is as viable as the Scarf set, I don't think they should be slashed at all. Not only would their playstyles be different, but so would their viability. Unless I'm way off on something, it's always been our job (the analysis writer and the QC Team) to present the sets in order of viability and effectiveness. I for one don't think that slashing choice items, even for movesets that are identical, is a good idea for this reason.

Now, I know that ultimately, it's up to the UU QC Team to determine what is the best way to present analysis for Pokemon in this tier, and as a fellow QC Member of a different tier, I will respect that. However, I didn't feel as though I could just say nothing about something I feel so strongly about. So, take all of this how you will.

Edit: stop with the Greninjaing Ernesto ...
I can agree with this for the most part but the CB vs CS argument is subject to opinion. Sure CB mienshao can't be as easily placed on a team and be effective as CS shao but I don't think that in any way reduces the viability of the set or necessarily means one is better than the other. If you're going to make role comparisons use examples of two moms that use the same item but do it differently e.g CS Hera and CS shao. But into hydreigon I think that the big thing about hydra is with Choice Scarf you can /almost/ guarantee that it will revenge something at least once a match. Choice specs however can either a) do copious amounts of work and win you the game or b) get worn down by stealth rock because the opposing player has Florges on their team. So yes Scarf and specs obviously play different roles and if we are to order them then I think scarf should go above specs 1) because it's got the perfect stats (speed tier is whatever since shit like shao outspends regardless and none of the base 100 scatters can kill hydra anyway so it's actually in a reasonably solid speed tier but yeah, just my thoughts, feel free to disagree, I don't really care but I definitely agree with what eon has said about keeping the choice sets separate. :]

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
yeah no. i'm not letting this start again, it took me for fucking ever to kill it last gen. and yes i'm taking credit for killing it sorry ou/ru folks i did it first :]

we do NOT merge choice scarf sets with specs/band ones because they never play the same--ever.

so i'm making an executive decision which Ernesto will back that they be separated.

its weird cause in this case it doesn't even look ok because specs and scarf run different moves

scarf: draco / dark pulse / u-turn / fire blast or dragon pulse (i don't like dragon pulse at all but others do so w/e)
specs: draco / dark pulse / fire blast / flash cannon or u-turn (specs doesn't need u-turn since wallbreakers kinda /want/ to be in.

anyway i don't like superpower on the roost + 3 attacks set its way too niche and this thing gets focus blast while umbreon can't hurt it at all if you really want to beat it.

a defensive set should be mentioned in OO since this thing gets taunt / thunder wave / dragon tail etc

Ernesto edit: No need to walk over me, I already talked to Royalty yesterday at around the same time I posted .–.

yeah no. i'm not letting this start again, it took me for fucking ever to kill it last gen. and yes i'm taking credit for killing it sorry ou/ru folks i did it first :]

we do NOT merge choice scarf sets with specs/band ones because they never play the same--ever.

so i'm making an executive decision which Ernesto will back that they be separated.

its weird cause in this case it doesn't even look ok because specs and scarf run different moves

scarf: draco / dark pulse / u-turn / fire blast or dragon pulse (i don't like dragon pulse at all but others do so w/e)
specs: draco / dark pulse / fire blast / flash cannon or u-turn (specs doesn't need u-turn since wallbreakers kinda /want/ to be in.

anyway i don't like superpower on the roost + 3 attacks set its way too niche and this thing gets focus blast while umbreon can't hurt it at all if you really want to beat it.

a defensive set should be mentioned in OO since this thing gets taunt / thunder wave / dragon tail etc
I've already talked with Kush and Limitless and they both think that the only reason to honestly use Life Orb Hydreigon is to use Iron Tail on it for the 3rd move. You can voice your opinion on that but that's what I honestly think Life Orb Hydreigon should be doing.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
OUPL Champion
kokoloko Calloflochie EonX- Ernesto ROYALTY MADE ME SLASH IT SORRY I'LL NEVER LISTEN HIM AGAIN ;-; (I think I'm completely getting rid of Specsdreigon as a main set because it seems kinda garbage and I'll put it in OO.)

Edit: Ready for 2nd QC check.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)