Breeding Perfect Pokemon in Pokemon X&Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to breed a Rotom with the time machine method. I am using a serious ditto and serious Rotom as my indicator parents. However, when I go to the battle Institute to check the stat spread of the baby Rotom, I only see three ivs that are passed on, even when holding the Destiny knot. I read somewhere that I have to scale the dittos ivs to Rotom, but have no idea what that means or if it is right. Any advice?

To elaborate:
I know that ditto acts as a female and Rotom is the male in the breeding pair. I got a ditto and Rotom with serious natures to act as the Iv pointer parents. I gave one everstone and the other Destiny knot.
At Lvl 50,my ditto had a spread of
123/54/63/68/62/68
And at Lvl 50 Rotom had
124/66/97/115/96/111
Bred them, rejected first egg, saved, hatched second egg.
At Lvl 50, offspring Rotom had
125/66/92/110/91/111
So I know the Rotom parent passes on attack and speed. But none of the other stats match the ditto parent stats at all. Am I doing something wrong? Please help :-(

Parents

Rotom - #479 (Serious) : 30 / 23 / 31 / 30 / 28 / 30
Ditto - #132 (Serious) : 31 / 2 - 3 / 19 - 20 / 30 / 17 - 18 / 31

Last edited:
I am trying to breed a Rotom with the time machine method. I am using a serious ditto and serious Rotom as my indicator parents. However, when I go to the battle Institute to check the stat spread of the baby Rotom, I only see three ivs that are passed on, even when holding the Destiny knot. I read somewhere that I have to scale the dittos ivs to Rotom, but have no idea what that means or if it is right. Any advice?

To elaborate:
I know that ditto acts as a female and Rotom is the male in the breeding pair. I got a ditto and Rotom with serious natures to act as the Iv pointer parents. I gave one everstone and the other Destiny knot.
123/54/63/68/62/68
And at Lvl 50 Rotom had
124/66/97/115/96/111
125/66/92/110/91/111
So I know the Rotom parent passes on attack and speed. But none of the other stats match the ditto parent stats at all. Am I doing something wrong? Please help :-(

Parents

I'm not familiar with the time machine method myself, although I'd I were you I'd double check my parents. I've seen "upto 5IVs passed down from parents with destiny knot" .. meaning it wont always be 5, but in my experience is usually or always 5 passed down...

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not familiar with the time machine method myself, although I'd I were you I'd double check my parents. I've seen "upto 5IVs passed down from parents with destiny knot" .. meaning it wont always be 5, but in my experience is usually or always 5 passed down...
Although I just started with the time machine method yesterday I'm 99% sure the destiny knot always passes 5IVs from the parents. My current method is putting a female random IV croagunk and a flawless ditto, and whenever I'm not sure about a potential spread I take out the female croagunk and replace her with a male magikarp (lower egg step count). This way you work with the same spread but now the ditto acts as the female (I know it takes longer but I do't really like using IV calcs since it requires my PC) and you can confirm the spread. Also while Croagunk takes a bit longer to hatch it has the advantage of being able to tell if the offspring will inherit the mother's ability or not.

Now for Hirshey's case I agree, dude you should double check your IVs or just get a new set of (TEST) parents, try to use one parent with really good IVs and pair it with one with awful IVs so you can notice the good stats being passed down more easily.

I've been trying my hand at breeding using this guide (which is awesome by the way) but I've run into a snag.

I'm working on making a flawless Gible. I've done some breeding with a 5/6 Ditto and I have two Gibles, both with Rough Skin, both with 5/6 IVs.

The male is holding a Destiny Knot, and is 31/31/31/x/31/31. The female has an everstone for nature, and she's 31/31/31/31/31/x. I've gone through about 75 eggs and I'm sometimes getting offspring with less than five IVs. Am I on the right track to getting a 6/6? Or did I screw up somewhere?

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well you are on the right path, but the chances of you getting a 6IV Gible with those parents are 1 in 96. :(
http://destinyknot.tk/

Trying to get a 6IV Pokemon from two 5IVd parents is hell. The only thing I can say is that you have to keep trying. Sorry. :(

Although I just started with the time machine method yesterday I'm 99% sure the destiny knot always passes 5IVs from the parents. My current method is putting a female random IV croagunk and a flawless ditto, and whenever I'm not sure about a potential spread I take out the female croagunk and replace her with a male magikarp (lower egg step count). This way you work with the same spread but now the ditto acts as the female (I know it takes longer but I do't really like using IV calcs since it requires my PC) and you can confirm the spread. Also while Croagunk takes a bit longer to hatch it has the advantage of being able to tell if the offspring will inherit the mother's ability or not.

Now for Hirshey's case I agree, dude you should double check your IVs or just get a new set of (TEST) parents, try to use one parent with really good IVs and pair it with one with awful IVs so you can notice the good stats being passed down more easily.
I actually use two awful test parents. No stats 31. This way I can tell a hex flawless immediately from characteristic.
But yeah you make good points

EDIT:
So is there a more efficient parent I could substitute for one of them? Or this is just a matter of getting lucky?
Buckert is right, time machine is perhaps useful for you in this situation

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
I actually use two awful test parents. No stats 31. This way I can tell a hex flawless immediately from characteristic.
But yeah you make good points

EDIT:

Buckert is right, time machine is perhaps useful for you in this situation
Actually now I use the same Ditto along with a hex 0 Magikarp so I get the exact spread (minus the wildcard) right away from the IV judge so I can make use of 95% of the spreads I get without having to reject eggs at all.

I'm trying to breed a Hasty Greninja that has 31/31/31/30/30/31 so that when it learns Hidden Power, it will be a Ground Type. I think I understand the guide and how to use the Power Items, Everstone and Destiny Knot to get what I want, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start with what I already have. I have a Greninja and 5 Froakies (all male) and a Ditto. These are what their IVs and natures are:

Greninja: Timid 31/30/30/29/22/31
Froakie A: Modest 10/2/2/2/30/6
Froakie B: Modest 0/30/30/30/30/30
Froakie C: Jolly 30/6/22/30/30/8
Froakie D: Hasty 12/18/30/28/30/24
Froakie E: Brave 30/22/18/24/30/20
Ditto: Timid 4/0/9/29/14/17

What is more important? Getting the right nature? Or the right IVs and hope to get the nature along the way?

I guess my main question is where do I start? Do I try to breed my Hasty Froakie with Ditto until I get a female Hasty Froakie that can breed with Greninja or Froakie B (who have the best IVs out of the others)? Or do I breed Greninja or Froakie B with Ditto first and focus on IVs? Or some other method?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I do have another Greninja that is level 100 and female (the original Greninja I started with), but I'm unable to calculate her IVs because she had the Pokerus and her stats are all off the charts. Whenever I try to plug her stats into an IV calculator, I get error messages, so I don't know how she would help. If you guys have any ideas on what use this Greninja can be for what I'm trying to do, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to breed a Hasty Greninja that has 31/31/31/30/30/31 so that when it learns Hidden Power, it will be a Ground Type. I think I understand the guide and how to use the Power Items, Everstone and Destiny Knot to get what I want, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start with what I already have. I have a Greninja and 5 Froakies (all male) and a Ditto. These are what their IVs and natures are:

Greninja: Timid 31/30/30/29/22/31
Froakie A: Modest 10/2/2/2/30/6
Froakie B: Modest 0/30/30/30/30/30
Froakie C: Jolly 30/6/22/30/30/8
Froakie D: Hasty 12/18/30/28/30/24
Froakie E: Brave 30/22/18/24/30/20
Ditto: Timid 4/0/9/29/14/17

What is more important? Getting the right nature? Or the right IVs and hope to get the nature along the way?

I guess my main question is where do I start? Do I try to breed my Hasty Froakie with Ditto until I get a female Hasty Froakie that can breed with Greninja or Froakie B (who have the best IVs out of the others)? Or do I breed Greninja or Froakie B with Ditto first and focus on IVs? Or some other method?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I do have another Greninja that is level 100 and female (the original Greninja I started with), but I'm unable to calculate her IVs because she had the Pokerus and her stats are all off the charts. Whenever I try to plug her stats into an IV calculator, I get error messages, so I don't know how she would help. If you guys have any ideas on what use this Greninja can be for what I'm trying to do, I'm all ears.
First of all, try to get a better female since Ditto isn't providing any useful IVs at all. So try to get that hasty female froakie. Then you start breeding for IVs.
About your lvl 100 Greninja what you can do is get into the super training and punch the empty Bag until you get a reset bag (it's a white bag that spawns randomly, discard other bags when you have 12). The reset bag will wipe all of your pokemon's EVs after hitting it about 100 times.

About your lvl 100 Greninja what you can do is get into the super training and punch the empty Bag until you get a reset bag (it's a white bag that spawns randomly, discard other bags when you have 12). The reset bag will wipe all of your pokemon's EVs after hitting it about 100 times.
Good to know, thanks.

To elaborate:
123/54/63/68/62/68
And at Lvl 50 Rotom had
124/66/97/115/96/111
125/66/92/110/91/111

Parents

If you are using a Ditto's stats, but then checking a newly hatched Rotom's stats, wouldn't you only be able to tell what stats passed from the original Rotom as Ditto's base stats are different than Rotom and the numbers would not match up?

I have tried the time machine method and using parents that have a gender would let you know which IVs are passing and you just plug the genderless in as long as you know the Ditto is going to be the female.

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
If you are using a Ditto's stats, but then checking a newly hatched Rotom's stats, wouldn't you only be able to tell what stats passed from the original Rotom as Ditto's base stats are different than Rotom and the numbers would not match up?

I have tried the time machine method and using parents that have a gender would let you know which IVs are passing and you just plug the genderless in as long as you know the Ditto is going to be the female.
That wouldn't work since the game makes separate spreads for gendered and ungendered pokemon in the daycare, for example if a gendered pair of scout parents like Magikarp + Ditto would yield a "(Modest) F/31/M/F/M/M" spread, when switching magikarp to an ungendered rotom the spread could perfectly change to "(Rash) M/M/M/M/M/12".

That wouldn't work since the game makes separate spreads for gendered and ungendered pokemon in the daycare, for example if a gendered pair of scout parents like Magikarp + Ditto would yield a "(Modest) F/31/M/F/M/M" spread, when switching magikarp to an ungendered rotom the spread could perfectly change to "(Rash) M/M/M/M/M/12".
If you are using a Destiny Knot and Everstone in the process how are these changing? I have never had Nature and Stat spreads change. I have had Gender change when I went from Togetic to Electrike, but never had stats and Nature change when using Destiny Knot and Everstone.

But I do have a 6x31 Rotom from my limited testing.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you are using a Destiny Knot and Everstone in the process how are these changing? I have never had Nature and Stat spreads change. I have had Gender change when I went from Togetic to Electrike, but never had stats and Nature change when using Destiny Knot and Everstone.

Whenever an (exactly one) everstone is held by one of the parents, the offspring will always be the same nature as the one holding it. This is why you've never had nature change.

And gender can change depending on the gender ratios of the relative offspring. Since Togetic is 87.5%Male 12.5%Female, and Electrike is 50%Male 50%Female, the gender can change.

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus

Whenever an (exactly one) everstone is held by one of the parents, the offspring will always be the same nature as the one holding it. This is why you've never had nature change.

And gender can change depending on the gender ratios of the relative offspring. Since Togetic is 87.5%Male 12.5%Female, and Electrike is 50%Male 50%Female, the gender can change.
As .com stated, nature can be always controlled through the everstone, what I was trying to note is that using time machine gives you a whole fixed set of Nature (with and without everstone) + IV spread (one with and without Destiny Knot) + Gender Value + Ability, but also said set will be different when using ungendered parents as they get their own (also fixed) Nature/IV spread/Ability.

But what I am saying is I have not seen a difference when I switch from my gendered test parents to genderless. I have a 6x31 Rotom and many 5x31 Rotoms doing the time machine with gendered parents.

Either I lucked out or I am missing something.

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, I actually just toughed it out and finally got a 6/6 Gible. The only problem is that it managed to get the wrong ability. What's the best method of proceeding?
If the gible's male, just replace the other male with it. If it turned out to be female well, just keep breeding.

I have a quick question about ability breeding--If I'm breeding an all male species with a Ditto and have one of two normal (non-hidden) abilities. I know that females have an 80% (60% for HA) chance to pass down their current ability to their offspring. Is this also the case with all male Pokemon bred with Ditto, or is the chance reduced to 50/50?

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
I have a quick question about ability breeding--If I'm breeding an all male species with a Ditto and have one of two normal (non-hidden) abilities. I know that females have an 80% (60% for HA) chance to pass down their current ability to their offspring. Is this also the case with all male Pokemon bred with Ditto, or is the chance reduced to 50/50?
Males have a 20% chance to pass down Hidden Abilities when breeding with Ditto, it shouldn't be different for male-only Pokemon. However I cannot confirm the exact chance of passing down their normal ability over the 2nd one (for those that have 2 abilities of course).

Yeah, I'm mostly interested in the rate for the normal ability on an all male Pokemon with a Ditto--that bit of info doesn't seem to be anywhere easy to find.

I've been hatching Sawks, but I don't really have enough to form any clear conclusion. When I used an Inner Focus father, I definitely got more Inner Focus children (7 eggs before I got a Sturdy). Now I've switched the Sturdy Sawk into the daycare, and all 3 eggs are Sturdy so far.

But again, maybe the RNG is just biased with me today. In theory, if the HA chance is 20% for a Male + Ditto, then it would seem weird for there to be anything other than random chance with the regular abilities.

I don't really know what to think...

EDIT: Okay, I'm getting really convinced that Male only Pokemon have a high chance to pass on a normal ability when bred with Ditto. So far I've hatched 10 eggs, and 9 of them were Sturdy like their father. It seems likely that the chance is also 80% like with females, but like I said, my data isn't conclusive, so...

Last edited:
I have a two 5iv charmanders both ivs missing in attack...but the nature is adamant for a charizard x should i keep breeding until i get 6 ivs?Or will i always have an iv missing in attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)