The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
KoS was good. Atelier was not as much.

Dropping Atelier and keeping KoS for the season.

So far I am watching:

Black Bullet
Captain Earth (okay it got a little better during ep 2 so I'm going to wait another ep or two if it actually becomes good)
Date a Live 2 (tbh I may drop this if it gets old quickly)
Gokukoku no Brynhildr (read the manga, it was fantastic. the anime is shaping up real well as well)
Hitsugi no Chaika (read the manga, it it ok)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (read the manga, it is amazing)
Mekaku City Actors
No Game No Life (so far amazing)
Selector Infected WIXOSS (it's ok)
Knights of Sidonia (very interesting, also a different animation style which is kinda cool)

RODAN

Banned deucer.
alright about 3 weeks in i can post my watchlist + a blurb too

Ping Pong: this show fuckin owns it has some seriously good characters + the animation is funky
One Week Friends: i have rambled on and on about how much i love this show, i love this show
No Game No Life: surprisingly pretty good, this show is just a nice timewaster
Black Bullet: ep1 was massively ass, but it got ok with episode 2, im considering this my mediocre anime of the season
Hitsugi no Chaika: this show is just pure fucking fun, it is like a dnd campaign
Selector Infected WIXOSS: there are still some madoka vibes, also some digimon vibes - i can groove to this
Mekaku City Actors: i have only seen ep 1 so far but this show is so hyped that im just gonna watch it based off the merit of shaft alone
Ryuugajou Nanana No Maizoukin: this show is like indiana jones meets anime high school, another really fucking fun show and actually in my top 4 of this season
JoJo: It is fuckin jojo im not explaining shit
Akuma no Riddle: this show is strange, there are some legitimately unsettling parts of this show around episode 3, its not as fun as i expected but definitely interesting

and of course the greatest show of the season

Seikoku no Dragonar: what more can you ask for, boob-senpai? check. Dragon lolis? check. Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh? Check. Just a treat all around.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
mine is here

Blade and Soul: A story hasn't really started in the first three episodes, but we know the main protagonist wants revenge on some super evil country / group. The fights are decent. There are a lot of boobs but somehow it does not feel like a lot of fanservice, which is very good. Art is also good. It could be amazing but it could also die.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou: This is surprisingly entertaining. It's a Comedy Slice of Life Romance, but the characters are actually different enough to not be cookie cutter. It's a nice lighthearted series for filler. Not really any potential to be really amazing, but it won't fall off either. Oh yeah and THERE ACTUALLY AREN'T ANY TRANSFER STUDENTS YET

Atelier: only watched the first ep so far, can't say I really liked the voice so I might drop it depending.

Brynhildr: basically see Acklow's except I haven't read the manga.

One Week Friends: basically RODAN's, except her face looks weird sometimes.

Kamigami no Asobi: bleh looks to be reverse harem. Bunch of high schoolers who are actually gods from different pantheons in a school created by Zeus because idk why. First episode was boring, lots of introductions, nothing funny or cool. I already dropped it but I might watch another ep if i get desperate.
Mekakucity Actors: see others

Nanana: Traps 0/10. Other than that, it's a fun show. Also has potential to go up or down depending.

Wixoss: I don't actually have a lot of hope for this because it's not cardgames on motorcycles a bit boring. There isn't some overaching conflict yet and twincest is literally the worst. I will give it more time though.

Soredemo Sekai wa Beautiful: Princess from some Rain Country who can call rain and controlish weather goes to the Sun Country which has conquered most of the world. There is good potential especially since the king is actually a super genius spoiled brat so he could develop and that would be decent.

Nisekoi: carryover from last season. I think it's SUPER pretty and it's silly enough to be entertaining. It serves a similar purpose as Kawaisou. Since it's almost done its rating is: I wouldn't kick it out of bed for crackers (3/4)

I will pick up Mahouka Koukou, No game no life, and ping pong since there has been general consensus that it's good. But after I get my watching schedule sorted out.

You guys are watching way too much. Most of those shows are okay at best, just wait it out and see which ones stand out, if any at all.

So far I have Ping Pong because it's different and the guys behind it know what they're doing, and Jojo's because I'm invested. Tomorrow's gonna decide whether I keep Haikyuu, which probably had the strongest start of the season aside from maybe Ping Pong. I'm gonna see Mekaku and One Week Friends all in one or two days when the season's over - I think it'd be better to see them that way. (it's also to make sure they turned out okay and are worth the time at all)

As for other things, I'll probably remember to check Chaika, Sidonia, Nanana and WIXOSS when the season ends, but I don't have high hopes. I don't expect to touch anything else except Mushishi II, but it'll take me a while to "aww", "aah" and "whoa" through the first season first. I'm watching an episode before bed every day, it's literally the best thing. I want to finish FMA:B and watch Monogatari II (and II+ or alpha plus or whatever!) before summer starts, too. I think that's plenty of anime for three months.

Oh yeah, today I discovered Mushishi II is actually split cour and will probably be back in fall. That's so good. Edit: I checked. Fuck yeah.

Last edited:
JoJo: really solid. Not as big a fan of part 3 as I am 2, but no doubt it'll be great regardless.

Mekaku: I feel like most of the enjoyment I'm getting out of this is thanks to SHAFT's direction, as far as actual content goes it's been pretty bland.

Captain Earth: kinda wordy at times and not as enjoyably goofy and outright fun to watch as Star Driver was but still good, the soundtrack and animation are both fantastic.

Chaika: Solid all around, the action in particular has been great.

No Game No Life: was expecting complete garbage out of this but it's actually pretty good, also has a nice unique look with the color palette and red outlines. I'm reminded of Mondaiji/Problem Children a lot.

Mahouka: wanted to like this but after ep 3 it's gone full SAO

Nanana: Decently entertaining and colorful, should be a fun watch.

they're not even walking like an egyptian

xenu

Banned deucer.
NGNL: shitty otaku wish-fulfillment fantasy
cpt. earth: awful
jojo: meh
wixoss: madoka with cards, can be really good or really bad
one week friends: great
ping pong: aots

haven't seen mekakucity actors yet, will watch and post impressions

ok i dont like dropping stuff fsr so im watching too much =/

akuma no riddle - p good, liked dark tones of episode 3
black bullet - eh, its ok but not really getting into it that much, bad guys cool
atelier - bad, if i drop anything it will be this
gochuumon - kawaii as fuck nigga, i like
brynhildr - pretty legit, shaping up well
one week friends - adorable i love it
flag anime - darker than i expected, idk how this will turn out
mangaka-san to assistant-san to - not bad, nice half length episodes
nisekoi - continued from last season, I SWEAR IF NONE OF THEIR KEYS WORK I WILL KILL MYSELF
no game no life - really liking it so far, animation is cool, MC is cool, everythings nice
ping pong - really good oO one of the best so far
seikoku no dragonar - mmmmm the big bouncing plots (bad tbh but w/e)
wixoss - like others said, shaping up to be madoka with cards, will wait it out and see where it goes

top 3 so far for me are no game no life, one week friends and ping pong

will watch mahouka and mekaku city actors at some point idk

No game no life is stupid but it's the best kind of stupid

Edit: the KagePro story is already a clusterfuck from what I understand and SHAFT isn't going to make it any better, but it's still pretty entertaining.

Last edited:
Haven't given ping pong the light of day (probably should)
Brynhildr: going strong. They need to keep it up
Mekaku City Actors: feels like Hamatora with NHK.
Black Bullet: SURVIVE THE LOLI, RENTARO!
Yeah. Been busy with other life stuff and older anime (just finished madoka, zomg) but I'll be picking up on the watch list soon.

Acklow

I picked Ping Pong. It is without a doubt the most fantastic show this season so far. Black Bullet and Brynhildr are my other top choices. Mahouka is good but I know for some people it can be hit or miss.

seriously loving this, the ace attorney reference is too strong. it also plays cornered for a while and mmmmmm its too good

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Mushishi was one of my favorite series ever, and I was pretty surprised when I learned that there was a second season, 8 years later no less! I have only gotten around to watching one episode so far but it didn't disappoint. Highly recommended.

The only other thing that I have committed to is Mahouka which seems to be the next "SAO". I think it is going to get a lot of undeserved hate because of that, as I do think the source material is actually solid and the manga so far is pretty good, unless you absolutely hate implied incest. That said I do think the anime adaptation has been lackluster so far in comparison, particularly due to the abrupt pacing and choice of voice actors. They aren't bad in their own right but somehow I feel they don't quite fit the parts they were given.

Acklow

Yeah I was surprised when I heard the sister's VA. It really seemed a little off compared to what I thought she would sound like. I do agree that beyond the SAO-like feel it has (MC is OP), the show has promise. I really liked how they handled the flavor and mechanics behind each and every spell and maneuver, especially how detailed they are.

Also: Good God, No Game No Life is fucking amazing.

Last edited:

xenu

Banned deucer.
re: ping pong 03 - jesus, what an episode. this show just keeps getting better and better - yuasa might just even top the tatami galaxy at this rate. it's not every day that an anime gives you the motivation to get out there and hone your own talents.

some great moments:

Last edited:
I always find it funny how MF Bunko J's ecchi adaptations (such as NGNL, Dragonar) get a lot of speculative hate, but people still end up watching it and liking it anyways. NGNL has an interesting concept, but I read ahead out of curiosity and I lost interest after the novelty of the games wore off. At least the series has stunning art and a good OP. Other than NGNL, I'm following brynhildr, which enticed me to read the manga. Read to CH. 90 something and it seems the MC is still a useless crybaby, but at least the girls are cute and the drama/plot is ok....sort of, it kind of faded towards the end in my opinion. They should change the expression to curiosity killed the interest. Black Bullet is ok, mangaka-san is funny but disturbing. Not much to say about those two, if it is cute I'll give it a shot. Just my two cents.

Acklow

Tried my hand at the Black Bullet manga. Seems like shit hits the fan more often than in the anime. Also the emotion is conveyed a lot better as well. I got chills reading it.

NGNL is unashamedly cliche and overblown and i love every second of it

it's hands down one of the most entertaining shows i've seen in a long time and to me is kinda like the pacific rim of anime so far - don't get so hung up on its flaws and just enjoy the ride

plus this from Thorns

Yeah, in retrospect calling Mahouka SAO is doing it a disservice. Still has the same problem of feeling more than anything like a stage for overpowered MC with no personality and legions of babes flocking to him to strut his stuff but it's a bit more coherent and less geocentric in its focus on the MC and tbh I'm enjoying it.

nisekoi - continued from last season, I SWEAR IF NONE OF THEIR KEYS WORK I WILL KILL MYSELF
I can assure you, no progress will be made whatsoever!
The Anime has like 2 episodes left, which will focus on Chitoge's relationship with Raku. FIN

Considering how popular this series is right now (apparently selling like fucking hotcakes in Japan), there will probably be a second season. But even then, since even the source material doesn't really get anywhere closer to the whole "truth about 10 years ago" thing, I'd advise you not giving a damn about the plot and just enjoy the ship-limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)