Fairy Tail

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

OK so I'm currently obsessed with this anime but I can't really pin it on any one reason.

I'll start off by saying: it is pretty cliche as far as anime goes, but the thing that makes me love it is that it makes fun of itself every single step of the way, especially in the beginning. There is always one character that's on the outside looking in making fun of everyone else, which I think really ties the show together and allows them to have a semi-serious plotline but also continually make the show funny and entertaining to watch.

Briefly, the show is about a world where magic is a part of every day life, and the show starts off by introducing a girl named Lucy that wants to join a guild where the people are wizards, people who dedicate their lives to the art of magic. You're immediately immersed into the world of wizards along with Lucy, and the characters are presented extremely candidly. The show centers around a lot of fight scenes and battles, but does take the time to develop the characters beyond simply through battles. Side note: Lucy can be kinda annoying, but she's only the main-main character in the first arc (like 10 episodes), and then her importance takes a cut after that and she is presented as just a normal part of the cast.

What really makes the show for me is how immense the world is. Every character, and there are so many fucking characters, is unique in personality and in their magic uses. And the show takes the time to slowly introduce them and their background and personality, and still show character development and growth.

Beyond that, the action is great and simultaneously hilarious and entertaining. It stands in a very opposite position to most other anime that focus on fighting as the emotional vehicle to character development. While it does happen generally in the show, the fighting is mostly just a fun aspect of the show, if that makes sense. I guess what I mean is that it's very similar to Avatar the Last Air Bender in terms of action; it's there and it's phenomenal, but it's not what the show necessarily revolves around, unlike DBZ.

I'm only on episode 78, but I had to get this out there because I can't stop gushing about the show and it's definitely going to be the death of me since it's now finals week and I can't stop watching.

BTW, the first 40 episodes are on Netflix, but you can easily find the rest (which so far have been English dubbed) in a simple Google search.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
this is an amazing anime (fuck off prem it's good) and i love it. i watched all i could on netflix but ugh i cannot switch to sub on crunchyroll.

tbh i think my favorite characters are the dragon slayers. i've only watched up to episode 48, and fuuuck natsu is the best. fire dragon o3o

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I watched all the way up to after

the island arc

then stopped watching because it began to heavily deviate from the manga thanks to the anime catching up at a breakneck speed. I stopped watching and continued following the manga until I got sick of the same jokes and fight scene sequences being beaten into the ground. Not saying it's not a solid show/manga, but there is a point where the story starts to lose its tempo, either through poorly executed twists or another forty villains are introduced who all have something against Fairy Tail but end up joining the guild anyways because the mangaka doesn't know how to just let characters die.

Beyond all that complaining the only thing I have to say is that I am

on

team

fucking

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was a huge fan back in the day but I would say around the timeskip (not really a timeskip) it lost that simple shounen-motivated plot and stuff. I still read but I haven't felt the same way since them. I try to read on but every path leads to the whimsicality of the old arcs. pls no pastram pasterino cappucino etc.

I thought Oda was doing two series at the same time but actually this guy was an assistant.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is an amazing anime (fuck off prem it's good) and i love it. i watched all i could on netflix but ugh i cannot switch to sub on crunchyroll.

tbh i think my favorite characters are the dragon slayers. i've only watched up to episode 48, and fuuuck natsu is the best. fire dragon o3o
lol if you only watched the begining then i guess its okay for you to say its good... its just after like chapter 130 (laxus arc) it becomes complete and utter shit.

I don't know what all these people are saying but one fact is sure it's that Erza is the best character ever

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
too much fuckin fanservice, makes it feel like there's no content otherwise

Rave, the mangaka's previous work, is definitely superior and many of its ideas are reused in FT

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is it worth watching? because the guy above me has publicly declared it to be a poor man's One Piece.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
no its really not worth watching it you want quality. if you just want to kill time sure have fun lol

This series shits the bed so badly at a certain point that it's impossible for me to recommend it to anyone.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Ya I think I just got to the point that you're talking about, which is too bad they decided to go in that direction.

Saying that Lisanna is actually alive because of the Anima is just such a cheap cop out and I'm really disappointed they decided to do that.

I still would recommend the show just because it's seriously entertaining and it's a fun watch, but yea the level of fanservice after a while is getting kinda ridic.

prem

failed abortion
i mean as long as you are okay with incomprehensible plot and massive asspulls with tits everywhere then yeh its enjoyabel at least LOL

Oglemi

Borf
Lucy's voice acting is annoying but like Natsu and Happy grow on you and Wendy is tolerable, the others are great especially like Makarov and Elfman

Plus fuck reading subs oml

The manga though has steadily gone downhill - too many villains, too many twists, and a general over-complication of things.

I personally think this anime gets a lot of undeserved flack. People expect it to be some high octane action anime with an amazing story and deep characters, when to me, it's a comedy anime with action elements. All I ask from it is to make laugh, have enjoyable characters, and entertaining fights, and it normally delivers.

Now about the fanservice, I've never had a problem with it and I honestly don't think it's bad, compared to other anime at least. The manga on the other hand...ugh.

Speaking of the manga, the chapter today was one of the best chapters we've had in a while, in my opinion.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
When I've got a lot of work going on I love watching some Fairy Tail, it's the perfect thing to watch when I'm a bit tired because it doesn't take any brainpower but it's entertaining. I can see how some people would say it's bad when the challenges get bigger and the characters get stronger to match them, but I think that's the whole fun of the story.
I have to say Erza defeating the 100 Pandemonium creatures was the most awesome thing, I can't wait for more from her :3

It's also great I was brought into the show by fellow Showdown users, I think it's great that there's more to the discussions on PS! than just pokemon.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is going to be a super necro bump but that's okay.

After the abrupt break that occurred after episode 175 the "second season" of the show took place under the name Fairy Tail 2014. The current season covered two major arcs and an anime-exclusive storyline. The first arc continued where the previous season left off, placing the cast in the middle of the "Grand Magic Games" where the main cast, after being frozen in time for seven years, must compete against rivals - both new and old - in a competition to determine the strongest mage guild in all of Fiore. However along the way, they encounter a conspiracy involving the mysterious Eclipse Project and the imminent destruction of the Fiore Kingdom. The other major arc is the Tartaros arc, which depicts the main cast's battle with a guild of demons created by Zeref, one of the main antagonists, who aim to resurrect their master and Zeref's ultimate creation, E.N.D., which threatens to end life as they know it.

In between these two arcs is a filler arc that sees the cast locked in a battle against the celestial spirits belonging to Lucy Heartphilia after they become corrupted by the magic that emanated from the Eclipse Gate in the Grand Magic Games arc.

After the Tartaros arc, but before the final episodes of the season we also got to see the adaption of Fairy Tail Zero into the anime. Fairy Tail Zero for those who don't know is the origin story of Fairy Tail and the back story to Mavis and Zeref. It was only 7 episodes long, but worth the watch if you haven't already.

!!!!!!!From here on out this post contains major spoilers about the last major arc and my thoughts about it, you have been warned!!!!!!!!!

Over the course of the 101 episodes that took place in the second season, there was a fair bit that happened. Before I get into my post let me first say I know Fairy Tail is a shit anime, it's the same thing repeated over and over, they win by friendship etc etc. I enjoy Fairy Tail not because i've invested so much time into the show but because it's an easy watch. It has it's strong points just like any other show, but a lot of people let the weak points be the main focus of their view on the show. Now to the good stuff. A few major events happened that I can recall from the top of my head. First and foremost during the course of the Tartaros arc, we're told who the Demon E.N.D actually is, for those who don't know and are for some reason still reading this with the vast amount of spoilers that are going to be taking place in it you're silly and i've warned you enough. E.N.D is Nastu. The acronym stands for Etherious Natsu Dragneel. E.N.D is a demon created by Zeref, just like every other demon from the Tartarus arc, with the twist being the Nastu, of course is the strongest of the demons and is Zeref's younger brother. Pretty big loop, not a giant one, sort of expected. As the arc proceeds near it's end the dragon Acnologia appears as it sense Zeref is near. The Dragon slayers that are in the battle with Tartarus (Natsu, Wendy, Gajeel, Sting, and Rogue) All start going nuts, and it seems to be that they're very sick. All of this while Face (Tartarus had previous searched out and killed every magic council member to activate Face, a weapon developed by the council to destroy all of the magic in Fiore) is getting ready to activate and no one can destroy the multiple weapons. The Dragons are actually living inside of the Dragon Slayers, and they decide to awaken in this moment to help take down Acnologia and also help take down the Face Project. So all of the time that Natsu spent looking for Igneel was for nothing as he was inside him. Igneel and Acnologia get into a giant fight that shakes the entire continent while the other 4 Dragons go and destroy the face Project. The Fight between Igneel and Acnologia was good, with the ending being quite sad. Igneel dies during the fight and Natsu and everyone get all emotional. That wasn't the only emotional part of this arc however. To defeat one of the Demons and save her friends who are trapped in some alternative world brought on by the Demon, Lucy Determines that she has to summon the Celestial Spirit King, which can only be done by a Celestial Spirit mage with incredible power and who sacrifices a golden key. Now Lucy has to determine which key she's going to be sacrificing to summon the King. She choses to sacrifice Aquarius. Aquarius has been with Lucy ever since she was a little girl, it was her mothers key before hers and her mother gave Aquarius the job of protecting Lucy, Determining that she had done her job Aquarius is fine with it and wants Lucy to grow and bcome an even more powerful Celestial spirit mage. With the King summoned she's able to go toe to toe with the Demon, and of course beat him. The King, touched by what he's seen gives Lucy new magic, she takes on whatever magic her spirit Key uses when she summons it. Making it a 2v1 in essentially every case. The other major story line from the arc was Grey and Silver. Silver (Grey's dead father) has Demon slaying magic and is being controlled by another one of the Demons who has necromancy powers and is able to control dead bodies and make armies out of them. Grey of course has to fight his dad, and cant damage him with his regular ice powers. All the while Juvia is fighting the Demon that has the necromancy powers. Long story short, Juvia wins her fight and Grey is able to kill his dad (now he's died twice) with a mere rock. Pretty silly, but whatever. Silver then gives Grey his Demon Slaying Magic. Ill finish this long winded paragraph off by saying that of course Fairy Tail won, they didn't get to summon E.N.D and bring Zeref back to them (the entire motive for their madness), but they also didn't know Zeref was already around. The end of this arc also brought some sad news to those who don't read the manga. Of course 2 dragons fighting destroyed everything in their path, including the Fairy Tail Guild Hall, again. This causes Makerov to disband the guild as it's just not safe anymore. The day before this happens Natsu and Happy leave on a year long journey to train. Leaving Lucy all on her own when everyone goes their separate way.

Now a few things to take away from this arc. The duo of Lucy and Grey both major buffs to their magical powers, Lucy with her magic from the Spirit King and Grey with his Demon Slayer Magic. Top it off with Natsu going "training" for a year and discovering a way to use something he wasn't able to before the main characters all seem to have gotten a major power buff outside of Erza who just wins any fight she's in regardless. It's at this point in the anime, when Markevos disbands the guild, that Fairy Tail Zero begins. It starts by showing Natsu and Happy starting their journey by visiting the Firsts grave on Tenrou Island and going into the story. Adapted entirely from the manga it shows the story of Mavis and Zera as the journey off of Tenrou island to help Yuri, Warrod and Precht track down the evil guild that stole the Tenrou jewel. Precht would later become the 2nd guild master of Fairy Tail, and later he would change his name to Hades and start the evil guild Grimoire Heart.

On this journey they run into a strange wizard in black while training in the forest outside of Magnolia (which at the time is under the control of the evil guild). The strange wizard in black who turns out to be zeref agrees to teach them all magic, so they can fight the wizard guild. Mavis, who already knows a form of magic at this point claims she wants to become a powerful wizard, and wants to learn strong magic like he uses. Zeref teaches her all of the magic he knows since she is miles above the others. Mavis, who's now a dark wizard has become one of the most powerful wizards in Fiore. During the battle against the wizard guild Yuri grabs the Tenrou jade, but the Tenrou jade is filled with dark magic that changes people and shouldn't be touched by anyone. Yuri turns into a giant monster and mavis is bound and determined to save him. To do so she uses a unfinished spell that Zeref warned her not to use, and in the process she stopped the evil monster and saved Yuri. The spell however, in similar style to Zeref made her immortal, she's unable to age any further than what she currently was. Overall the 7 episode side series was very good and provided a good little break from the main series. I enjoyed it a lot and would suggest people watch it if they haven't already even though i gave the entire story to you right there^.

After Fairy Tail Zero ended we're back to the regular story. Though it's only a couple of filler episodes. The main character during these episodes is Lucy and it takes place after the time lapse of a year. Lucy works as a reported and is covering the current grand magic games. In her free time she gathers any information on members of Fairy Tail that she can, sightings, reports, anything. There's nothing on Natsu however. The finals of the grand magic games are under way and she predicts the winner perfectly because she could tell they were sandbagging the entire tournament and they win in a clean sweep. Suddenly a strange challenge appears. The strange challenge is wearing a hood but you can see his signature scarf, and after his year of training proceeds to challenge every wizard in the finals and any wizard who wants some of it all at the same time. Natsu straight destroys anyone who steps to him and melts the stadium in the process. Lucy is amazed that it's him and he goes back to her house after escaping punishment for his melting of the castle. It's here that he discovers fairy tail disbands and well he's just not having that. He see's her wall of information on everyone and proceeds to set the castle on fire with the Fairy Tail crest, and it's here that Nastu and Lucy decide that it's time to go find all of the members of Fairy Tail and reform the guild.

And End.

Season two is now over, and from reading the manga I know what happens next and know how the next arc begins and how most of it happens. Only the anime has stopped the manga is still continuing for some reason. The next arc is a war and after some filler episodes of getting everyone back, all hells breaks out.

All in all, I think i'm one of the few people that still really enjoys this show. I liked the way they handled the Tartorus arc and I really enjoyed Fairy tail Zero despite reading the manga before hand. The current arc is interesting but in Fairy Tail fashion , has some major moments where you face palm and get mad at it. I know it's a lot to catch up on if you haven't but if you liked the show before Fairy Tail 2014 I think you will like it more now. Another thing I noticed about the break they're taking was that this break was done properly. They announced it a few weeks prior to the break, and actually ended the anime in a proper place this time and not in the middle of the arc like what happened with the grand magic games arc. I'm at the point where i'll likely never stop watching Fairy Tail, despite knowing it's a bad show, and I will be super exciting when the break is over and they get back to the regular story, i'll still read every week, and i'll still keep up with everything Fairy Tail for as long as I can tell. I don't really know how to end this giant ass post but if you're also a fan of Fairy Tail i'm always up to talk about it, I know there aren't many people left who follow it as closely as I do but it's always fun to discuss :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)