• Reflect
  • Rain Dance / Sunny Day
  • Thunderbolt
  • Thunder Wave
  • Trick Room
  • Psyshock / Psychic
  • Zen Headbutt
Overview:
The first thing you see when you look at Uxie is its outstanding bulk. Uxie packs a very great bulk of 75 / 130 / 130
bulk allowing it to tank very many powerful hits. It also has a nice Speed stat of 95. Uxie also has a very colorful movepool that consists of very many support moves. Uxie makes for a fantastic bulky lead crippler, as a Weather setter, and as a Dual Screen setter. However, not all is well for Uxie. Uxie lacks a good Offense, meaning it is almost always left to Status moves or weak attacks, making it total Taunt bait. Uxie also suffers from a weakness to Knock Off, however it can survive a Knock Off from Bisharp, but I will get to that later. However, despite these flaws, Uxie is a fantastic wall that can surprise your opponents.

Recommended Sets:
Choice Scarf Lead
Uxie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

This is Uxie's flagship set. This set cripples many leads, as they do not want to be Tricked a Choice Scarf. It can also be served late game to cripple Defensive Pokemon. After passing the Choice Scarf, it can reliably set up Stealth Rock. It can even forgo Tricking and just go straight for the Stealth Rock if need be. U-Turn is very weak, but it does keep up the momentum for Uxie and can let it switch out to a foe while the opponent is locked into one move. Thunder Wave + Choice Scarf = fun. Thunder Wave cripples the Choice Scarf user, while also crippling any other Pokemon it switches into. Uxie is pretty much only used to set up Stealth Rock then get out of there, but it does a great job of this and can usually set it up pretty reliably!

Physically Defensive
Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
IVs: 0 Speed
Relaxed Nature
- Heal Bell
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Fighting]

This Uxie set is a team supporter. With this set, it can survive a 252+ Life Orb Knock Off from Bisharp, and avoid the 2HKO by a fair good amount from 252+ CB Talonflame. If you'd prefer more Special Bulk, an alternative spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD with a Bold Nature, as this is just enough to survive the Knock Off from Bisharp. However this is not recommended, as Uxie should aim to be as Physically Defensive as possible. Heal Bell keeps it from being Toxiced and keeps its teammates healthy. U-Turn is used to keep up momentum. Knock Off cripples so many things on the switch in and is a fantastic utility move! The last moveslot is up to personal preference. Thunder Wave cripples a ton of things such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, while Thunderbolt can 2HKO Talonflame (or OHKO if Rocks are up). Hidden Power [Fighting] nails Bisharp on the switch. However, Thunder Wave is usually the most valuable of these moves.

Wow, I haven't considered or even seen Uxie in OU before (honestly, I don't even think that I've thought about it since finding it in that cave in Pearl and exiling it to the depths of my PC boxes forever.) It actually looks like it could be an interesting lead, though, when you put it that way. I think I might go and test its viability for myself now!

I wasn't aware of its bulk before. I'd imagine that its rarity can be attributed to the sheer existence of Mew and Deoxys-D, from whom it receives a lot of competition.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
On first glance, it doesn't seem like there's any reason to use Uxie over Cresselia. Cresselia has recovery outside of Rest and better bulk. (75/130/130 vs 120/120/130) But upon taking a deeper look, Uxie does have a surprisingly different movepool. I'm honestly surprised how easy it to to have Uxie have a moveset that doesn't make it a worse version of Cresselia, or even a moveset that can't be compared to Cresselia.

On first glance, it doesn't seem like there's any reason to use Uxie over Cresselia. Cresselia has recovery outside of Rest and better bulk. (75/130/130 vs 120/120/130) But upon taking a deeper look, Uxie does have a surprisingly different movepool. I'm honestly surprised how easy it to to have Uxie have a moveset that doesn't make it a worse version of Cresselia, or even a moveset that can't be compared to Cresselia.
Oh, I wasn't even thinking about Cresselia! Yeah, luckily Uxie seems to have the Speed and movepool to differentiate itself.

Do people really consider trickscarf Uxie's flagship set? I'd really have to disagree with that being the "go-to" set on Uxie due to the fact that it makes almost no use of the scarf before tricking it away (unless you count its pitifully weak u-turn). The set listed in the OP doesn't even have a STAB move FFS. I just find the idea of first turn trick extremely unreliable, especially with the addition of mega stones being un-trickable. You'd be way better off with a taunt or magic coat lead if your goal is to prevent hazards; trick doesn't do jack to most opposing leads. You're better off putting trick on an offensive pokemon to lure in walls and cripple them for the rest of the match than wasting a slot on a pokemon with so many great support options.

And Cresselia is not competition for Uxie at all. They have completely different roles: while Cresselia is usually a rest talking wall or lunar dancing screen setter, Uxie is generally used as a reliable SR setter with other support options such as screens, and one unique to itself as a rock setter, Memento. If you're not using SR on Uxie, you're almost always better off using something else. With OU having so many great SR users, Uxie has a hard time gaining a spot on most teams, so you really want to make sure you're using Uxie for the right reasons and not just to be a hipster. You don't want to be using Uxie when your team is better off with lead Azelf or just reliable ol' Landorus-Therian for rocks. Take into account its typing and bulk, and its unique combination of support options to make sure it's really what you want.

Now, to play Uxie to its strengths rather than using it as an inferior Azelf, Deoxys, or whatever, I would use a set like this:

Uxie @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Thunder Wave / Toxic / Magic Coat (any support move really)
- Memento

With this set, you're able to set up rocks, cripple your opponent or u-turn out, and give one of your teammates a setup opportunity when the moment is right. Uxie should never stay in for more than one turn after setting up rocks, as Uxie is a sitting duck to most of the metagame. The crux of this set is Memento, as it significantly lowers the offenses of your opponent's pokemon and gives you a free switch into whatever you want, allowing you to set up with an offensive pokemon and put work into your opponent's team. Dugtrio is the only other pokemon that can learn both SR and Memento (whoops Magcargo can too), but has no bulk and fills a different niche entirely (trapping), so this set is definitely something to consider when looking for a reliable SR setter with unique utility options.

In reference to this set:

Physically Defensive
Uxie @ Leftovers
IVs: 0 Speed
Relaxed Nature
- Heal Bell
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Fighting]

This Uxie set is a team supporter. With this set, it can survive a 252+ Life Orb Knock Off from Bisharp, and avoid the 2HKO by a fair good amount from 252+ CB Talonflame. If you'd prefer more Special Bulk, an alternative spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD with a Bold Nature, as this is just enough to survive the Knock Off from Bisharp. However this is not recommended, as Uxie should aim to be as Physically Defensive as possible. Heal Bell keeps it from being Toxiced and keeps its teammates healthy. U-Turn is used to keep up momentum. Knock Off cripples so many things on the switch in and is a fantastic utility move! The last moveslot is up to personal preference. Thunder Wave cripples a ton of things such as Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, while Thunderbolt can 2HKO Talonflame (or OHKO if Rocks are up). Hidden Power [Fighting] nails Bisharp on the switch. However, Thunder Wave is usually the most valuable of these moves.

I feel like a bigger threat/counter to uxie most people would assume would be aegislash as opposed to Charizard and Talonflame. I would probably run Shadow Ball as my 4th slot move as it has neutral coverage over quite a bit because honestly I don't see you staying in on a Bisharp. Shadow Ball also will give you the surprise factor on Aegislash as you going last will guarentee a 2HKO on Aegislash while ensuring that you can't be 2HKOd yourself.* It's more of a thought that a suggestion. I would say that Uxie would most likely be on a team that has access to WoW as to increase his physical bulk presence. Great idea. I have all these uxies and never really looked twice at him since I last used him D/P/Pt days.

Uxie with
252 HP / 176 Def /82 Sp Atk

82 SpA Uxie Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 174-206 (53.7 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aegislash -Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Uxie (28.8 - 34.4%)

the extra investment into SpAtk Guarentees the 2HKO

Do people really consider trickscarf Uxie's flagship set? I'd really have to disagree with that being the "go-to" set on Uxie due to the fact that it makes almost no use of the scarf before tricking it away (unless you count its pitifully weak u-turn). The set listed in the OP doesn't even have a STAB move FFS. I just find the idea of first turn trick extremely unreliable, especially with the addition of mega stones being un-trickable. You'd be way better off with a taunt or magic coat lead if your goal is to prevent hazards; trick doesn't do jack to most opposing leads. You're better off putting trick on an offensive pokemon to lure in walls and cripple them for the rest of the match than wasting a slot on a pokemon with so many great support options.

And Cresselia is not competition for Uxie at all. They have completely different roles: while Cresselia is usually a rest talking wall or lunar dancing screen setter, Uxie is generally used as a reliable SR setter with other support options such as screens, and one unique to itself as a rock setter, Memento. If you're not using SR on Uxie, you're almost always better off using something else. With OU having so many great SR users, Uxie has a hard time gaining a spot on most teams, so you really want to make sure you're using Uxie for the right reasons and not just to be a hipster. You don't want to be using Uxie when your team is better off with lead Azelf or just reliable ol' Landorus-Therian for rocks. Take into account its typing and bulk, and its unique combination of support options to make sure it's really what you want.

Now, to play Uxie to its strengths rather than using it as an inferior Azelf, Deoxys, or whatever, I would use a set like this:

Uxie @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Thunder Wave / Toxic / Magic Coat (any support move really)
- Memento

With this set, you're able to set up rocks, cripple your opponent or u-turn out, and give one of your teammates a setup opportunity when the moment is right. Uxie should never stay in for more than one turn after setting up rocks, as Uxie is a sitting duck to most of the metagame. The crux of this set is Memento, as it significantly lowers the offenses of your opponent's pokemon and gives you a free switch into whatever you want, allowing you to set up with an offensive pokemon and put work into your opponent's team. Dugtrio is the only other pokemon that can learn both SR and Memento (whoops Magcargo can too), but has no bulk and fills a different niche entirely (trapping), so this set is definitely something to consider when looking for a reliable SR setter with unique utility options.
Uxie doesn't need STAB moves, but I believe all your points are valid otherwise.

In reference to this set:

I feel like a bigger threat/counter to uxie most people would assume would be aegislash as opposed to Charizard and Talonflame. I would probably run Shadow Ball as my 4th slot move as it has neutral coverage over quite a bit because honestly I don't see you staying in on a Bisharp. Shadow Ball also will give you the surprise factor on Aegislash as you going last will guarentee a 2HKO on Aegislash while ensuring that you can't be 2HKOd yourself.* It's more of a thought that a suggestion. I would say that Uxie would most likely be on a team that has access to WoW as to increase his physical bulk presence. Great idea. I have all these uxies and never really looked twice at him since I last used him D/P/Pt days.

Uxie with
252 HP / 176 Def /82 Sp Atk

82 SpA Uxie Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 174-206 (53.7 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aegislash -Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Uxie (28.8 - 34.4%)

the extra investment into SpAtk Guarentees the 2HKO
It doesn't run Leftovers, it runs Life Orb:
0 SpA Uxie Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 158-186 (60.3 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Uxie doesn't need STAB moves, but I believe all your points are valid otherwise.

It doesn't run Leftovers, it runs Life Orb:
0 SpA Uxie Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 158-186 (60.3 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
thats odd when i did it it showed 45% - 52%. weird

I didn't mean to imply that Uxie needed a STAB move, I just meant that it's kind of silly to put a scarf on a pokemon and not even have any use for it (other than tricking).

Uxie's most unique set that exists is its Dual Screen Memento set, a feat which only it and Latios can do. Uxie does it better than Latios thanks to its added bulk. Especially this gen due to those extreme powerhouses, getting a free turn to set-up with say, Pinsir, can easily make or break a game.

Uxie @ Light Clay
252 HP / 252 Def / 4SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- Knock Off / Thunder Wave / Heal Bell / U-turn / Yawn

Don't think this needs any sort of explanation. Dual Screen + Memento leave the opponent with a equivalent of -6 (25% damage) to his attacks, which practically allows even the frailest of Pokemon to have 1 turn to set up with ease. The last slot is primarily for disruption if the opponent gives you the chance to.

Deoxys D is most of the time the better lead, possessing spikes, more bulk and reliable recovery. I also wouldn't use physically defensive psychic-type in this meta, where knock off is every, and dangerous sweepers like Megattar crush you.

As a weather setter, Uxie is just great. It is bulky enough to get the weather out and has Memento and U-Turn to get out your sweeper safely, though autoweather is usually more benefical in a high speed tier like this.

No replies since march? Let's change that.
Support Uxie Leftovers
252HP/4ATT/252DEF
U-Turn
Knock-Off
Thunder Wave
Heal Bell
Uxie is appealing to me mainly for that Bulk and Heal Bell.
I use fighters like choice band gallade a lot so getting rid of those burns is a must. The rest of the set is self explanatory. U-turn for that momentum shift. T-wave to cripple those pesky sweepers and clear the way for slower setup mons. And knock off is knock off. Good for getting rid of lum berries and knocking off a life orb occasionally

Mew could just as easily do that as well, having access to all of those moves, better speed, better attack, and similar defenses. Or you could just use Lum Gallade if you really feel that Gallade is a good ou poke.

Yawn is the better option over thunder wave IMO. Yawn and u-turn is a win/win combination and it's what gives uxie a niche. You also really want memento to prevent it from being dead weight and help set up a sweep.

Mew could just as easily do that as well, having access to all of those moves, better speed, better attack, and similar defenses. Or you could just use Lum Gallade if you really feel that Gallade is a good ou poke.
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 128-152 (43.9 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 162-192 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 78.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Uxie in Sun: 252-297 (86.5 - 102%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Uxie is a lot bulkier than Mew, and Mew has a different role, they share a similar typing, yes, but besides that they're not the same. Mew is better off being a Defog user in my opinion, I never have used Mew or gone against it, but I'm fairly certain it is meant to be a Defogger with Will-O-Wisp, which Uxie is not.

I'd rather use Deoxys-D itself if i wanted a trick scarf anti-lead. U-turn and Memento are two moves that really distinguish Uxie from its biggest competition(deoxys-d), and most other sets seem outclassed entirely.
Even memento screens/rain dance has competition from Latios, which trades some bulk for an offensive pressense (which makes it not useless besides sacking itself), and higher speed.

You could say that but this is an uxie thread correct? Not here to discredit it's viability. Just discuss.

Memento is a great option but I figure it depends on your teams needs. If you have a Will-o-Wisp/ Scald user then why not bring in more status? T-wave is better for those annoyingly fast special sweepers. Alakazam for instance. Plus I feel is a lot more reliable than the occasional Sticky Web.
Edit: Magic Bounce...

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to get Uxie in ORAS? I've got Azelf and Mespirit, but I didn't know anything about the Max happiness thing when I caught them. I don't really even understand it, is Max happiness affection? Caused by the soothe bell??? Footprint ribbons??? I'm confused. I brought two Pokemon with footprint ribbons, but Uxie still isn't there. :?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know how to get Uxie in ORAS? I've got Azelf and Mespirit, but I didn't know anything about the Max happiness thing when I caught them. I don't really even understand it, is Max happiness affection? Caused by the soothe bell??? Footprint ribbons??? I'm confused. I brought two Pokemon with footprint ribbons, but Uxie still isn't there. :?
You should probably take your question to the ORAS SQSA thread in the Orange Islands subforum, as this is meant for competitive discussion. Also, welcome to Smogon.

This exists? to be fair, it was necrobumped, but still...

Uxie's main problem by far is its competition with Cresselia: Cress has *slightly* higher bulk and reliable recovery in Moonlight, which is HUGE. What Uxie has over Cresselia is its movepool; it sacrifices reliable recovery for support options like SR, U-turn, Yawn, Heal Bell, Memento, and Knock Off, none of which Cresselia has access to. Unfortunately, Uxie's relegated to Rest for its much-needed recovery, but it's not all bad, as this means it can also sponge status.

tl;dr a niche pick over Cress, but still viable on some stall/balanced teams imo.

brb making nomination on the viability ranking thread

N-N-N-Nerobump
Is Uxie even viable anymore? It's starts are really mediocre, and no matter how much I like it, it's pretty outclassed.
And I like how all these discussions are about Aegislash...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)