Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Okay, finally bred and tried this Hitmontop in the end, replacing Mega Charizard Y:

Long ass post ahead:

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
Intimidate - Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def

-Fake Out
-Helping Hand
-Wide Guard
-Mach Punch

with the Typhlosions and the Feraligatr parter and also using Mega Scizor.

Well, it wasn't bad, by no means, but it had flaws. To put what happened to me during my attempts:

Neutral:

-Scizor is murdered by fire attacks anyways, so having sun up or down doesn't make a difference

Pros:

-Fake Out stops the few opponents faster than Typh and ensure he gets at least one free Eruption and also it takes care of Sashers
-Helping Hand allows a powered Eruption without having to setup sun
-Feraligatr isn't crippled by my own team and I don't have to rely so much in my front line to win
-Wide Guard in theory stops Earthquake, Surf and Rock Slide which cripple Eruption by hurting Typh
-Mach Punch can finish off weakened fast opponents such as Focus Sashers so they don't bother
-Intimidate helps with surviving
-Aerodactyl and Archeops (my previous team weaknesses) can be handled with Wide Guard

Cons:

-Hitmontop is absolutely stopped by ghost types, the ones like the Focus Sash Gengar can Hypnosis Typh (and IT WILL connect mind you) or kill Hitmontop and Chandelure (especially Flash Fire ones) are impenetrable unless I switch (which still means sending Scizor to die) or Typh is KOed and Feraligatr comes in.
-Things that resist Eruption are now a bigger threat. Before, Zard Y could take out whatever didn't die to Eruption, be it Solarbeaming Water Types (whose water moves were weakened by Sun) and Ground types, Dragon Pulsing Dragons, Ancient Powering Fire types, etc. Hitmontop can't hurt that much by himself, so many times those opponents get their chance to attack and many times taking out Typh.
-Wide Guard is too much of a gamble. Many times it seems the opponent will use something that can be blocked, but the AI goes at random many times and I waste a move. Choiced Pokemon stuck on a multidamaging move aren't frequent. Thouhg blocking an Earthquake and making the opponent kill his ally is a sweet feeling.
-Hitmontop can't really hurt anything that time even with SE hits. All he can do is assist my partner, meaning if they are KOd I have to rely solely on Scizor to win.
-Intimidate is great, but many times I come across special attackers or something that isn't really hindered by it and in Multis I can't switch as much as in regular Doubles to spam it when I need to.
-This fucker still screws me over: Landorus @ Choice Scarf - Earth Power
-Finally, I have to rely too much on my AI partner, which is a bad thing. I mean look: 6G8W-WWWW-WWW7-EDXT
and this isn't the only time this happened, many times Feraligatr goes for Earthquake for the hell of it and he ignores SE hits now and then. Typh at least goes for Eruption unless he can hit with 4x damage an opponent. Really, in Multi I am sure you need to have assist of your partner but do the things yourself.

Hitmontop works well, but I am sure in doubles where I can control the other half of my team is where he would truly shine. I tried a few times but the biggest advances were battle 38 and the video up there.

I think I am better changing a partner altogether, Zard Y + Eruption Typhlosion is incredible, but I would be better using a full sun team in doubles or something.

So I tried this now:

Partner:

Togekiss @ King's Rock
Serene Grace - Modest?
EVs: ???

-Air Slash
-Grass Knot
-Thunder Wave
-Shadow Ball

Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Regenerator - Jolly?
EVs: ???

-Fake Out
-High Jump Kick
-Low Kick
-U Turn

Mine:

Garchomp @ Assault Vest (He can actually take not stabbed Ice Beams, man!)
Rough Skin - Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp

-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Iron Head (For Aerodactyl and Archeops actually. Considered Fire Fang, but many times it doesn't kill Ice types or they are carrying a berry to weaken it)

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Justified -> Adaptability - Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp

-Close Combat
-Bullet Punch
-Blaze Kick
-Detect (Thinking of changing it to Shadow Claw, given I have nothing really against Psychic or Ghost types and that costed me the last run.)

Lucario isn't there for a reason beyond "I think he'd be nice with 240 Power Close Combat" so there must be better choices. This however works surprisingly well, I got up to battle 41 in my first attempt and lost due to mistakes more than anything. Still if there's a better idea for the setup I am all ears guys.

Video of the last battle: UTYG-WWWW-WWW7-EENA

Thanks in advance

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
After finishing the Singles streak I went to play around in Aron-less doubles. Since there were no obscenely strong teams to copy for easy success there, I had to start from scratch with an original team and learn to play doubles in addition to that, which took some time and many lost streaks. With the latest changes to the team, howewer, I am currently on a 309-win streak in Doubles, claiming the highest Aron-less streak on the leaderboards. The team is as follows:

Greninja @ Focus Sash ** Solar Shield
Nature: Timid
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SAtk, 244 Spe, 12 HP
Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Mat Block

Charizard @ Charizardite Y ** Plasma Storm
Ability: Blaze/Drought
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Dragon Pulse
Protect

Rotom-W @ Assault Vest ** Pulse-Wave
Nature: Modest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP, 72 SAtk, 216 Spe, 4 Def, 4 SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/30/31/30
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Water 70]
Discharge
Shadow Ball

Garchomp @ Yache Berry ** SuperCarrot
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Protect

The team started out with Mat Block Greninja/SD Garchomp as a lead pair, with the intention of getting a free SD with Mat Block. That lead combo was used in all variants of the team prior to this one, and it wasn't very good. It had no damage or coverage to kill dangerous TR setters like Slowking, Slowbro, Bronzong, and many others. It also had a huge tendency to lose if Chomp died - not a very good thing if Chomp's the lead. The most succesful variant of that team was Greninja/Garchomp/Rotom-W/Talonflame, at ~140 wins before succumbing to its suckage. I finally realized Greninja/Garchomp was unsalvageable and went looking for a new lead partner for Greninja that needed no setup, had enough power to focus fire TR setters and other dangerous Pokémon, and had good synergy with the rest of the team.

The ideal Pokémon turned out to be Mega Charizard Y - with its gargantuan base Special Attack and Drought, it hits extremely hard, and Mat Block protects it from the majority of Rock-type attacks that would usually force it out. Running Drought on a non-Sun team with no other Pokémon that benefit it and Rotom-W whose secondary STAB is actually hindered by it seems dumb, but there are very few drawbacks to it: Teeter Dance Chlorophyll Vileplume, LO Chlorophyll Victreebel and the AI's Fire moves getting enough of a boost to dent resists are the only notable threats it's enabled. As an added bonus, the sun also shuts down freezes - I've only seen two freezes on friend or foe during the streak, the first with Sun expiring and the second on an enemy canceling weather.

Greninja is the standard set.

Mega Charizard Y's moves are also straightforward. Flamethrower and Solarbeam are essential; for the third move, Dragon Pulse is the best fit for the team as it hits the Lati Twins, Tyrantrum, and other dragons. Air Slash is inaccurate and only useful for hitting Fire/Fightings and Flash Fire users, since it only deals ~10% more damage than resisted Flamethrower. If you seriously needed a Flying STAB I'd consider Hidden Power Flying over Air Slash just to avoid having it miss.

Rotom-W was added during the shitty phase of the team. Initially, I used the usual 5IV Hydro Pump fare, but after almost losing several times before even getting to battle 40 with it, I quickly realized Hydro Miss was too god-awful to ever consider using anywhere in the Maison. Instead, I set out to breed for the far superior HP Water 70, which I got some 200 eggs later. Even with Drought, the Water STAB retains its usefulness and is definitely worth having. The EVs are for hitting 133 Speed to outspeed neutral-natured Base 80s (most importantly Togekiss), an arbitrary amount of HP EVs for bulk (anything lower than 150HP would seem a bit anemic), value 4EVs in Def and SpD and the rest dumped in SAtk.

Garchomp needs no introduction. Swords Dance is preferred over inaccurate coverage moves that it doesn't really need with other team members taking care of anything it can't hit.

In accordance with lazy posting directives, I'll be wrapping this up once the streak is over.

Battle #300: WXKW-WWWW-WWW7-EP55 (Dusclops / Aron / Mega Kangaskhan / Aegislash)

The data provided by Kaphotics and parsed by Team Rocket Elite has been edited in the OP. Thank you both for this data, which will be very useful!
I will keep the link to the Google doc file and the other Maison data files in the OP for a while to thank every individual for their hard work, eventually these will be removed and only the data uploaded by TRE will be in the OP, as this is the 100% accurate Maison data.

May have found an error in the spreadsheet with the Pokémon and their moves. In theory according to the other sheets based on the trainer I should have been facing a Jynx2 and it used Heart Stamp against me. None of the Jynx on the sheet have Heart Stamp so I have no way of saying the trainer list is wrong, or that even I was even for sure facing a Jynx2, but it definitely used that attack so one of them has that move. I also encountered what should have been Slowking3 twice and it did not heal with Sitrus Berry either time, and it attacked only with Psychic. Shouldn't have been Slowking4 but I'm less sure about this one than the Jynx situation. Just throwing it out there for anyone that might want to know

403 | Jynx2 | Adamant | Destiny Knot | Ice Punch | Fake Out | Heart Stamp | Taunt | Atk/Spd

Unless you were meaning to say that the other lists have flaws, but we are aware of that.
Thanks though :).

Quanyails
Great job reaching this high in doubles. I like your reasoning behind aromatisse and I plan to breed one for myself and finally tackle doubles at some point. Odor sleuth is a genius move as well to help with the ghosts that hinder aron from destroying them.

Too bad for freeze to end your run, but that’s pokemon for you.

Nice job on your team turskain . Not sure I agree with your reasoning to not give greninja max speed, but it seemed to work for you. I just don’t believe that greninja has enough bulk anyway to survive any hits that the speed wouldn’t have prevented. Anyway, great job on reaching that high in singles.

Now for my opinon on the aron/Durant question (although it appears that eppie has already made a decision). I do not think that it needs a separate section. I myself have tried the method and quite frankly it can be beaten fairly easily under the right circumstances. I do not see any point to continue as others have made similar arguments.

Snail489
I agree that camerupt can be replaced. Also, Talonflame really does not seem as effective if not leading. It is not really strong enough to come out as backup and really cannot switch into anything safe. I would think about landorus or thundurus or garchomp as replacements. There is also the possibility of grass types to abuse chlorophyll and help with the water weakness. Something like sawsbuck or leafeon would give you some additional physical attackers. Venusaur or victoreebell or liligant would help with special attacks. Ferrothorn would be a useful grass type that resists rock and water but if sun is up it would easily die to fire. (useful for trick room too)

As for trick room. I have been having success using taunt to stop trick room, but that doesn’t always guarantee the opponent won’t be able to set it up. It certainly helps though. Alternatively, you could try running something like conkeldurr or aegislash (similar to what mechagodzilla ran) both of which would also cover some rock weakness. A problem with this though is that many of the trick room teams carry psychic and ghost which are problematic for conk. Togekiss could also help with trick room or support.

Anyway, wish I had more suggestions but I am not too familiar with using weather teams. Good luck to you.

allrealelements
I think triples is the most interesting and can also be the easiest with the right moves. I would also suggest running mat block, especially if you are first trying it out. At max speed, greninja will outspeed the majority of the maison (check the speed tiers on the first page for more info) and allow your 2 other leads to setup. If you were looking for a rain dance type, I would utilize blastoise as eppie did and focus on water spout. Your third could be either politoed for the instant rain or thundurus for prankster rain dance. Regardless of what you decide on, your first three need to have some synergy in order to give you an advantage. Your backup 3 should be able to cover weaknesses your leads lack.

NoCheese
A few additional observations from this run through.
1. Pay attention. Even seemingly minor mistakes can prove fatal over the long run, and it's easy to zone out when you've been playing a bunch of battles in a row.
2. Don't get cute. When in doubt, it's usually best to attack. I've had far more trouble from trying to get fancy than from not setting up enough.
3. Make sure you remember enemies with Custap Berry and Weakness policy. Most of these enemies are very easy to handle so long as you play them properly, but blindly playing into either item can turn things ugly.
This should be on the first page and should be the mantra of the maison. Good job in your streak and I have to agree with VaporeonIce that outrage was the right choice.

And I also think that the information in this thread is very useful and the people are friendly. This is my first time on this website and I wish I had known about it during my subway runs. I would offer some insights on damage calculations but I do not know how to arrive at those numbers. So thanks to those that but in that effort.

Wow, great job ~Mercury~ ~. Your team is really, really, ridiculously good-looking.

I haven’t hit 1000 yet, but I am within 200 battles now. I will probably take a break from triples once I hit that mark and will post some info about my team. Maybe before November I can hit 2000 as well.

Eppie
Good call on merging the records, guess that is why you are running this thread. I agree with your reasoning and think it is awesome that those modes can be expanded to 15 slots. Good to see other people enjoying the maison and trying different methods to succeed.

Also, good luck on your streak. Looks like a solid team build. Foresight on dusclops is a good choice. And frisk is a great idea. I was considering running noivern for the same ability but I could not get away from talonflame smash.

You also mention that when khan is sent out that trick room is usually up, wouldn’t adamant or jolly be more beneficial?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I have been gone for sometime and wanted to get as much as I could without double-posting. Good luck to everyone who is currently trying to tackle the maison.

Hi,

this is my first post here. Some of you have very impressive streaks. Actually, I am not very good at this game, yet I intend to get the five trophies of the battle maison, plus a 200 wins streak to get the berries. This is why I'm coming here for your help!

Currently, I have 3 trophies :
- Super Single, my streak ended in a stupid way at 81 with a durant team (actually I had just changed it a few battles ago and didn't master it yet).
- super double, my streak is currently at 50. I used a team of my own based on the tyranitar/excadrill combo lead (+ latios/thundurus and pyrax/terrakium). I will modify it when replaying anyway...
- super triple, currently at 60, with a team partially taken from R Inanimate one (Greninja, Aaron, Garchomp, Mega Kangaskhan, dragonite and Aegislash)

My questions are the following:
- what is the easiest mode to get 200 wins? (I would bet on super triple given the records)
- With a Greninja/Aaron/Garchomp lead in triple, how do you deal with super fast pokemon with thunder/thunderbolt, like Manectric or Jolteon? I almost lost once when Jolteon began and killed Greninja, basically ruining the strat... I can't even predict and switch with Aaron since sometimes it attacks Aaron instead. This is the main threat I've encoutered until now.
- I saw the lists of pokemon/trainers, but what are the rules for the "numbers"? Is it something like *-1 are enoutered from 0 to 20 wins, *-2 from 10 to 30 wins, *-3 from 20 wins and *-4 from 30 wins?
- What is the basic strategy when playing rotational? Is the trick to use more defensive pokemon? I find it way more difficult than the other modes because there is more luck involved.
Besides, do we know the probabilities the AI uses to decide its move? (like, 30% for each rotation, 40% for not changing) Or is it something a posteriori like "Whatever the player move is, I give myself have a 50% chance to make the correct decision"?

Thanks for your advice.

silver angel

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Smogon, silver_angel, and best of luck on your streaks. I'll stick with the questions I feel best qualified to answer.

- what is the easiest mode to get 200 wins? (I would bet on super triple given the records)
While I'm not an expert on doubles and triples, variance is the enemy of long streaks, and the bigger squads you use in doubles and triples better control variance, so I suspect your intuition is right here. That said, experience with your team and pokemon matters a lot too, so if you are already familiar with playing TruAnt in singles, it may be easiest to refine that squad as you play to 200.

- I saw the lists of pokemon/trainers, but what are the rules for the "numbers"? Is it something like *-1 are enoutered from 0 to 20 wins, *-2 from 10 to 30 wins, *-3 from 20 wins and *-4 from 30 wins?
It's the trainer name that determines which set the pokemon you face is using, not the battle number. Accordingly, to see which version of a poke you are facing, just pay attention to the trainer name, not the battle number, and consult the newly added trainer list on the front page. Note, however, that after battle 40, there are only 100 trainers that you will continue to face, listed here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-21#post-4990654, and they skew heavily towards using set 4 for normal pokes and sets 1 and 2 for legendary ones, so these are the sets you should be most concerned with beating. Loosely, the trainers you see in battles 0-10 use set 1, 10-20 use set 2, and 21-30 use set 3. You will not see these specific trainers deeper into your streak, although some of the later trainers do have the possibility of using a set 1, 2, or 3 poke, particularly where they specialize in just a few types of pokemon.

I use Sash on my Greninja lead. It usually works because generally only one Pokemon will hit before Mat Block, although it did get very awkward one time when Thunder fully paralyzed Greninja.

turskain

Lost the 400th battle, unfortunately. Posting a streak of 399 wins in Super Doubles (without Aron).
Battle video: ZNRW-WWWW-WWW7-FL24
The AI leads with Aromatisse, the only TR setter that the lead pair can't snipe (aside from Cresselia4, which is not that big of a deal with the Pokémon Veterans, and especially Veteral Alfie and Veteran Eleanor run). To make things worse it's a regular trainer, not Hex Maniac Mara, so it could run a wide variety of exciting Pokémon as back-ups. With dual Fairy leads, trying to stall out wasn't going to be an option with Chomp being the only other Protect user, so I kill Slurpuff. Out comes Pyroar, killing Greninja while it gets killed in return. Then the last Pokémon was perhaps the absolute worst Pokémon the team can face under TR - Druddigon4, with CB Outrage and enough bulk to require two hits to kill. Stalling out TR while hoping it targets the Protect user with Outrage is the only option, as attacking it with both mons under TR would guarantee it two kills, and whatever's left can't beat Aromatisse with something like +6 SDef and Garchomp-slaying typing. It targets Outrage perfectly, losing me the battle with nothing to be done.

It might've been possible to win if I switched out Greninja from Pyroar and tanked hits while stalling out TR with Rotom-W instead - but that would generally be an unadvisable play as Greninja is quite useless under Trick Room and Rotom-W, in addition to being the slower and bulkier one under TR, is usually best saved for the late game to partner up with Garchomp for DisQuake clean-up.

After finishing the Singles streak I went to play around in Aron-less doubles. Since there were no obscenely strong teams to copy for easy success there, I had to start from scratch with an original team and learn to play doubles in addition to that, which took some time and many lost streaks. With the latest changes to the team, howewer, I am currently on a 309-win streak in Doubles, claiming the highest Aron-less streak on the leaderboards. The team is as follows:

Greninja @ Focus Sash ** Solar Shield
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SAtk, 244 Spe, 12 HP
Dark Pulse
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Mat Block

Charizard @ Charizardite Y ** Plasma Storm
Ability: Blaze/Drought
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Dragon Pulse
Protect

Rotom-W @ Assault Vest ** Pulse-Wave
Nature: Modest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP, 72 SAtk, 216 Spe, 4 Def, 4 SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/30/31/30
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Water 70]
Discharge
Shadow Ball

Garchomp @ Yache Berry ** SuperCarrot
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Protect

The team started out with Mat Block Greninja/SD Garchomp as a lead pair, with the intention of getting a free SD with Mat Block. That lead combo was used in all variants of the team prior to this one, and it wasn't very good. It had no damage or coverage to kill dangerous TR setters like Slowking, Slowbro, Bronzong, and many others. It also had a huge tendency to lose if Chomp died - not a very good thing if Chomp's the lead. The most succesful variant of that team was Greninja/Garchomp/Rotom-W/Talonflame, at ~140 wins before succumbing to its suckage. I finally realized Greninja/Garchomp was unsalvageable and went looking for a new lead partner for Greninja that needed no setup, had enough power to focus fire TR setters and other dangerous Pokémon, and had good synergy with the rest of the team.

The ideal Pokémon turned out to be Mega Charizard Y - with its gargantuan base Special Attack and Drought, it hits extremely hard, and Mat Block protects it from the majority of Rock-type attacks that would usually force it out. Running Drought on a non-Sun team with no other Pokémon that benefit it and Rotom-W whose secondary STAB is actually hindered by it seems dumb, but there are very few drawbacks to it: Teeter Dance Chlorophyll Vileplume, LO Chlorophyll Victreebel and the AI's Fire moves getting enough of a boost to dent resists are the only notable threats it's enabled. As an added bonus, the sun also shuts down freezes - I've only seen two freezes on friend or foe during the streak, the first with Sun expiring and the second on an enemy canceling weather.

Greninja is the standard set.

Mega Charizard Y's moves are also straightforward. Flamethrower and Solarbeam are essential; for the third move, Dragon Pulse is the best fit for the team as it hits the Lati Twins, Tyrantrum, and other dragons. Air Slash is inaccurate and only useful for hitting Fire/Fightings and Flash Fire users, since it only deals ~10% more damage than resisted Flamethrower. If you seriously needed a Flying STAB I'd consider Hidden Power Flying over Air Slash just to avoid having it miss.

Rotom-W was added during the shitty phase of the team. Initially, I used the usual 5IV Hydro Pump fare, but after almost losing several times before even getting to battle 40 with it, I quickly realized Hydro Miss was too god-awful to ever consider using anywhere in the Maison. Instead, I set out to breed for the far superior HP Water 70, which I got some 200 eggs later. Even with Drought, the Water STAB retains its usefulness and is definitely worth having. The EVs are for hitting 133 Speed to outspeed neutral-natured Base 80s (most importantly Togekiss), an arbitrary amount of HP EVs for bulk (anything lower than 150HP would seem a bit anemic), value 4EVs in Def and SpD and the rest dumped in SAtk.

Garchomp needs no introduction. Swords Dance is preferred over inaccurate coverage moves that it doesn't really need with other team members taking care of anything it can't hit.

In accordance with lazy posting directives, I'll be wrapping this up once the streak is over.
To continue with threats:
  • Aromatisse - the one TR setter that cannot be sniped by the lead pair, it will always set up TR with nothing to stop it. I suppose it's no coincidence that the top-ranking Aron+TR streak uses Aromatisse.
  • Charizard3, Braviary3, Jolteon, Manectric4, Aerodactyl3 - a Roller Skater special with Rock Slides and STAB Electric-type attacks from monsters that outspeed Greninja.
  • Darmanitan - Scarf Stone Edges and Sun-boosted Sheer Force Flare Blitz.
  • Weavile has the Maison-unique combination of Fake Out, Taunt and Focus Sash, making it highly distruptive and generally unpleasant.
  • Chlorophyll users - most notably Teeter Dance Vileplume, confusing the whole field and turning the battle into an out-of-control shitfest of hax, and LO Victreebel sporting STAB Solarbeam and Sludge Bomb. On these two as leads I delay Mega-Evolution, which neutralizes them, but if they show up as back-ups or the lead partner requires an instant Mega-Evolution that's not an option.
  • Luxray - too bulky to be sniped, carries Thunder Wave and Light Screen as very obnoxious support moves unobstructed by Mat Block, and Air Balloon to make things difficult for Garchomp.
  • Donphan - the famous QC Fissure spammer. A 4x Rock weakness helps, as it will always Stone Edge Charizard while it protects on Turn 1 and Greninja hits it, followed by bringing in Garchomp to tank the second Stone Edge while Greninja finishes it off. As it needs full attention from both Pokémon for two turns, if it has a dangerous lead partner things are about to get ugly.
  • Volcarona - with 3 special attackers and kinda weak neutral hits from Chomp, this thing needs to be focused instantly, and it has just enough bulk to have a chance of surviving Dark Pulse + Flamethrower on turn 1. If it partners up with something immediately dangerous, it will get Quiver Dances and become very threatening with Sun-boosted Heat Waves flying around.
  • Muk - QC Explosion that it may use even on the first turn. If it leads and QC Explodes before Mat Block, things will go bad. Protecting on Turn 1 won't save you from the Explosion, as it can't be OHKOed and may just as well QC and blow up on Turn 2. Mat Block on Turn 1 and Protect on Turn 2 gives the best odds, but this thing is still a pile of random explosive power that can't be predicted.
  • Shadow Tag Gothitelle - this thing deserves a special mention for being one of the dumbest Pokémon in the Maison. It can be focus fired, but if partnered with something that needs the love more, it can confuse your Pokémon while preventing switching out, turning the battle into an unstoppable hax fest.
Pokémon that could be threats, but aren't because the AI doesn't use them:
  • Prankster Thundurus - I've never seen Thundurus use priority Taunt on Greninja to prevent Mat Block. It seems to prefer going for a Thunderbolt KO on either lead.

Against Dragons (whose attacks the team has no immunity, resistance or bulk to deal with) Greninja outspeeds all of them on Turn 1, allowing it to Mat Block barring distruptive co-leads. Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulses the offender under Mat Block, and Greninja KOs them with Ice Beam afterwards. The only Dancing Dragons are Haxorus, which is outsped and sniped on Turn 1, and Latias4, which can get a DD off if it chooses to use it - usually, it attacks with Draco Meteor or EQ. It can be dangerous, but it's very rare as a Set 3-4 legendary and usually doesn't Dragon Dance.

Against CB Aerodactyl (and many other Stone Edge users, including Sturdy ones), Mega Charizard Y protects the Stone Edge while Greninja disposes or 2HKOs the offender. Scarf Darmanitan is also 2HKO'd by Dark Pulse. Ditto for Scarf Pinsir, though that one carries the slim possibility of choosing Guillotine and randomly firing it at Greninja for a hax-driven winning move instead of using Stone Edge on Mega Charizard Y like a good boy. The one time it chose Guillotine during the streak, it fired it at Protect.

Against TR setters, the offender is usually sniped right out with Greninja's great anti-TR coverage and Mega Charizard Y's massive Flamethrower unless it's a double TR lead or Aromatisse or Cresselia or a more dangerous lead partner.

Walrein is sniped with Grass Knot + Solarbeam. It can win anyway with Lax Incense followed by a Sheer Cold hit, of course, which it once did during the streak, but it needs a lot of luck to get it done.

Electric-Pokémon utilizing Thunder miss a lot under the sun - it's not reliable, but most notably Scarf Manectric seldom gets anything done even if it's left alive for a while. Hurricane also misses as a bonus; Tornadus has never done anything to the team.

The sun disables freezes, as mentioned before - the two freezes when sun was out were the only freezes during the entire streak.

Mat Block giving a free turn for Mega Charizard Y is almost even better than giving a free turn to Aron. Flamethrower/Solarbeam OHKOes half the Maison, and puts most of the ones that don't die into KO range for Greninja's faster attacks on Turn 2. If Mega Charizard Y also outspeeds the enemies (it is positive-natured base 100, after all), it effectively gets to move twice before they get to do a thing while Greninja also gets one hit in - there's not a lot of things that can survive that level of lead matchup disadvantage.

I'm a bit dissatisfied with the streak, as I kinda wanted 500 in Doubles, too. But having the top Aron-less streak for the time being isn't too bad.

Speaking of Aron+TR, my opinion on it is that it deserves its own leaderboard in Doubles. The little beast is very strong, and TR is harder to distrupt than the next best protective move available in Greninja's Mat Block. Maybe Rain teams could ravage doubles like in Battle Subway, but as of yet nothing comes close to TR Aron and while I think 500 could be reachable with this team, ~700 seems rather unlikely.

Edit:
brakerider: Thanks. I presume you're talking about the Singles Greninja EV'd to hit 184 Speed, not the Doubles one that hits 190 Speed? Admittedly, it did die twice due to misplays early in the streak when I wasn't used to the team yet and forgot why and how I EV'd it - keeping it in on Alakazam and Hawlucha were the misplays. But after I learned to play and started switching in Aegislash on the few Pokémon it loses to because of the speed drop, the speed was never a problem during the streak. In retrospect it could be an issue if Greninja was in a 1v2 situation against a mystery Pokémon in the back, and that Pokémon turned out to be Alakazam, Hawlucha or Zebstrika (or Dugtrio if Greninja was very low on HP), but with the way Greninja is played with the team and AegiNite both faring well against them that was a very rare occurrence. All the Pokémon Greninja loses to because of the speed drop are beaten by Aegislash and Dragonite - Aegislash takes them all on easily, and in the worst-case scenario with a damaged Dragonite that would lose to Hawlucha's Power Herb Sky Attack, Greninja can tank the Power Herb hit for it.

Now that you mention it, maybe it could be better to EV the Greninja for 188 Speed to outspeed Hawlucha, put 12 EVs in HP for 149 HP to minimize LO damage and dump the rest in Def/SpD.

Speaking of changing Greninja, I switched Surf for Scald after the loss and had a 200-something streak lost to a dumb misplay after the 528 streak. Scald is definitely the better option - the most important calc for the power loss is:
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 226-268 (104.1 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It enables the team to always beat Mamoswine, which would've avoided me the loss in the 529th battle.

Edit 2:
Added some comments on the Mat Block Greninja/Mega Charizard Y lead pair, and how good it is, and the resulting absence of many would-be threats in the threat list.

Last edited:
Hi,

this is my first post here. Some of you have very impressive streaks. Actually, I am not very good at this game, yet I intend to get the five trophies of the battle maison, plus a 200 wins streak to get the berries. This is why I'm coming here for your help!

Currently, I have 3 trophies :
- Super Single, my streak ended in a stupid way at 81 with a durant team (actually I had just changed it a few battles ago and didn't master it yet).
- super double, my streak is currently at 50. I used a team of my own based on the tyranitar/excadrill combo lead (+ latios/thundurus and pyrax/terrakium). I will modify it when replaying anyway...
- super triple, currently at 60, with a team partially taken from R Inanimate one (Greninja, Aaron, Garchomp, Mega Kangaskhan, dragonite and Aegislash)

My questions are the following:
- With a Greninja/Aaron/Garchomp lead in triple, how do you deal with super fast pokemon with thunder/thunderbolt, like Manectric or Jolteon? I almost lost once when Jolteon began and killed Greninja, basically ruining the strat... I can't even predict and switch with Aaron since sometimes it attacks Aaron instead. This is the main threat I've encoutered until now.
- What is the basic strategy when playing rotational? Is the trick to use more defensive pokemon? I find it way more difficult than the other modes because there is more luck involved.
Besides, do we know the probabilities the AI uses to decide its move? (like, 30% for each rotation, 40% for not changing) Or is it something a posteriori like "Whatever the player move is, I give myself have a 50% chance to make the correct decision"?

Thanks for your advice.

silver angel
No team is foolproof for getting to 200 wins. Triples is generally regarded as the easiest format, and certainly, plenty of people have gotten to 200 wins with all kinds of different teams there, but you still need to learn how to use your team effectively to win that much. Triples is easiest on its own, but I think Singles gives you the most opportunity to learn from your losses and improve your skills, because it's a more predictable format. Mock battles are really helpful in that regard. Of course, I primarily play Singles, so I'm somewhat biased.

Which trainers use which Pokemon is described fully on the "Battle Maison Trainers (100% accurate)" on the first post. For battles 1-10, you'll only face "Set 1" trainers; battles 11-20 have Set 1 and Set 2 trainers, battles 21-30 have Set 2 and Set 3 trainers, battles 31-40 have Set 3 and Set 4 trainers, and battles 41 and on have only Set 4 trainers or "specialty" trainers (e.g. Veterans, who use legendaries of either Set 1 and 2, Set 3 and 4, or all four sets; Hex Maniac Anastasia uses Psychic and Ghost Pokemon that can either be Set 3 or Set 4).

For Rotation battles, I never figured out how to predict the AI's moves; even if I did, the AI just isn't consistent enough in rotations for those predictions to help too much. Defensive Pokemon are really important for that reason. That said, it's important to have a powerful sweeper as well. You don't want to lose to every Rest+Curse user you come across, and if Focus Sash Garchomp comes out, you need something that will take it out quickly. Eppie and I both used Cloyster; I chose it because Focus Sash lets it survive a hit and set up, nothing is immune to its main STAB, and Icicle Spear is ridiculously powerful (and breaks Sturdy/Sash) after a Shell Smash. Having moves like Wish and Aromatherapy/Heal Bell is really helpful, because it lets you make up for mistakes and heal status moves (I didn't use Wish because it doesn't work well with Cloyster, who dies to everything, but something like Mega Kangaskhan can really benefit from it). I gave a lot of detail about strategy and my approach to rotations in my write-up for my Rotations streak (and the write-up for my first attempt, which is linked in the write-up for my final streak), so that might be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your replies guys. As for Greninja, I prefer him to have the life orb and leave the focus sash to Garchomp.
And yes, I still have to read the write-ups of the rotation records.
I will keep you informed of the competion -- or failure -- of my super triple streak (maybe not before next week-end though). And indeed, if I fail, maybe retry super solo.

So I just finished 50th battle in Super Singles using a modified version of VaporeonIce's #03 ranked team except with a few differences because I already had these guys set up like this. Also mine don't have clever nicknames D:, I'll note changes.

Togekiss (male) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Spd
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
- Thunder Wave (VaporoenIce had Yawn)
- Aura Sphere (Vaporeon had Safeguard)
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash

Kangaskhan (female) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out (VaporeonIce had Earthquake)
- Sucker Punch
- Return

Aegislash (male [VaporeonIce's was female]) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Adamant (VaporeonIce's was Brave)
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31 (was 2)
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Yeah so instead of using Togekiss for versatility I tried using Paraflinch and it really sped up the fights, in many cases taking whole teams by itself. Aura Sphere is there out of a personal thing, I used the same Togekiss online and it used to be part of a boosting set that needed the versatility and I just never changed it/don't want to change it.

Kangaskhan has Return over EQ, mostly because I forgot he learnt EQ. I'm thinking of changing this, input would be very appreciated.

Aegislash is Aegislash. Mines male cos male was how the egg came out, I could probably breed for female but is it worth it for the one off attract strategy? Once again input please :P and similar with the IVS and nature I had some good parents and it came out like this and I thought why not.

I just finished 50th battle with it (although Aegislash got confusion haxed to death from Hurricane)

In other news I want to get into the other formats but don;t know where to start. I see most of the records seem to have Endeavour Aron in them, is it actually for the pseudo-FEAR strat or is it just to draw AI focus?

Last edited:
Hey folks, been a while since I last posted on Smogon .. haven't played after my sad loss in super singles streak due to a misplay. I have hit 217, but I refuse to prove the streak since it runs the god mode Mega Kangaskhan. I have nothing against him, I just feel any 2 pokemon that can complement MKang decently will get very far on the streak. I ran a haxorus + volcarona .. same team I originally ran to make it onto the top 10 back in December though :P. Starting to try and get a high score with a team that doesn't run any megas in general, and I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve my current team. I have two requests, NO TRANSFER POKEMON MOVES(aka no BW2 Move tutor) and NO MEGAS.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability - Technician
Nature - Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4SpD
~ U-turn
~ Aerial Ace
~ X-Scissor
~ Bullet Punch

Well.. This pokemon is quite standard for a Scizor build. The all famous CBScizor I'm running is actually really effective. Of course bug bite would be better, but it's not something I want to break my record with. Quite self explanatory, this pokemon is the core of my damage, and it overall is just fantastic.

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability - Flash Fire
Nature - Adamant
EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/8 SpD/176 Spe
IV: 31/31/31/x/31/31
~ Flare Blitz
~ Extreme Speed
~ Wild Charge
~ Close Combat

This is something I hadn't really thought of this pokemon .. Originally I was just laughing at what I thought was a pathetic firey dog that had long been unused. Boy was I wrong .. holy crap this pokemon IS the ultimate companion for Scizor. Scizor .. lets face it .. HATE FIRE MOVES. This thing .. LOVE FIRE MOVES. I eat the fire move, take no damage, get no burn, and it becomes a free switch on me AND it powers up my fire moves. I didn't know how to spread the EV's so I took it straight out of the BW Smogon guide, and it seems to work well. I'm open to suggestions on switching things around, but for the time being it seems to work really well. this pokemon really really works wonders in Battle Maison. It's exceptional coverage and high damage lets it pretty much 2HKO anything that doesn't resist or set up (there are exceptions but if played right off a U-Turn Arcanine can kill something). The fire dog usually takes something out with it as it swaps in.

Azumarill @ Wide Lens
Ability - Huge Power
Nature - Adamant
EVs: 252 Hp/252 Atk/4 Def
IV: 31/31/31/x/31/31
~ Superpower
~ Aqua Jet
~ Waterfall
~ Play Rough

Standard build, standard moves for this thing .. ITS A GOD. I don't know what I would change about this guy, but the Wide Lens definitely is the way to go. I originally ran it with an assault vest and got really fed up with her missing her moves. It was ultimately .. SUPER FRUSTRATING. I thought, hmm maybe I'ma give it something to increase that play roughs hit%. AND BOY IS IT GOOD. Missing in Battle Maison .. as we know is just a NONONONONO. Also able to tank dragon moves like a boss, this Pokemon IMO really complements the other two.

Current Streak/Greatest Streak: 78 (Where I lost T_T)

Pleasantly surprised with this team reaching this far, I couldn't even imagine being able to clear the 50 mark with this team, but it definitely worked its wonders there. Scizor is just so damn good .. High damage, a great priority and bulky stats to start with. The U-Turn really gets the flow going, it helps with the sturdy's and the sashes. Being able to get that damage and swap out into either two is really great. The whole purpose of having Arcanine and Azu is to be able to cover what Scizor cannot kill. That's why I chose bulky pokemon with decent coverage and a priority on them both to finish or just kill the pokemon I swapped into. Arcanine is really great at eating fire moves and then killing something. Having extreme speed is actually amazing as revenge killing is good. Azumarill however I don't like to swap into any fire moves. I HATE BURN. Azu is great at beating the pokemon that uses the fire moves, Scizor generally fears Hydreigon .. A LOT, but I still rather swap in Arcanine just because the burn is so fearful on Azu. Azu though does get recognition for beating SO MANY THINGS especially now that it misses less with the wide lens.

Unfortunately for me, this team has something I fear to a great extent. Electric pokemon. I really need suggestions to help me beat electric types. At the moment, I am solely relying on my Scizor being locked into X-Scissor(Which I rarely use) or I rely on the priority moves of the other two pokemon provided I'm up against something faster. Generally Arcanine can deal with most of them, however on round 78 I had killed the first pokemon with Scizor using bullet punch, and then and Electivire came out. I wasn't sure to swap to Azu or to Arcanine, and I picked Arcanine .. unfortuantely the Electivire used earthquake and it crit and fainted my Arcanine. I think I would've fainted if it didn't crit, so the swap was just a poor play on my part. The electivire just out sped my other pokemons and it took out Scizor with fire punch, and took out my Azumaril with 2 wild charges.

Any suggestions on move sets or EV distribution would be great T_T. I do have high hopes for these pokemon, I don't mind swapping out Azumaril .. But I think it complements the other two extremely well and they have great synergy together .. Maybe if I played that battle right I could've gone farther .. But I would love to get feedback on this team!!

Thanks!!

So I just finished 50th battle in Super Singles using a modified version of VaporeonIce's #03 ranked team except with a few differences because I already had these guys set up like this. Also mine don't have clever nicknames D:, I'll note changes.

Togekiss (male) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Spd
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
- Thunder Wave (VaporoenIce had Yawn)
- Aura Sphere (Vaporeon had Safeguard)
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash

Kangaskhan (female) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out (VaporeonIce had Earthquake)
- Sucker Punch
- Return

Aegislash (male [VaporeonIce's was female]) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Adamant (VaporeonIce's was Brave)
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31 (was 2)
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Yeah so instead of using Togekiss for versatility I tried using Paraflinch and it really sped up the fights, in many cases taking whole teams by itself. Aura Sphere is there out of a personal thing, I used the same Togekiss online and it used to be part of a boosting set that needed the versatility and I just never changed it/don't want to change it.

Kangaskhan has Return over EQ, mostly because I forgot he learnt EQ. I'm thinking of changing this, input would be very appreciated.

Aegislash is Aegislash. Mines male cos male was how the egg came out, I could probably breed for female but is it worth it for the one off attract strategy? Once again input please :P and similar with the IVS and nature I had some good parents and it came out like this and I thought why not.

I just finished 50th battle with it (although Aegislash got confusion haxed to death from Hurricane)

In other news I want to get into the other formats but don;t know where to start. I see most of the records seem to have Endeavour Aron in them, is it actually for the pseudo-FEAR strat or is it just to draw AI focus?
The only Pokemon you can encounter with Attract after battle #40 are Dugtrio 1 (on Worker Rasmus team) and Serperior 1 (on some of the Breeder teams). Dugtrio 1 is 50/50 for male vs. female; Serperior is 87.5% male. So male is better to counter Attract than female is.

Kangaskhan <3 Return. Seriously, don't even consider giving up Return, it's the primary reason why Kangaskhan is so good. Some people drop Power-Up Punch for Earthquake, which is fine; it makes Mega Kangaskhan more of a cleaner than a set-up sweeper, but it plays that role very well. That said, these Pokemon aren't great against Rock/Ground types if Kangaskhan doesn't have Earthquake.

Against Tornadus 2, Aegislash wants to stall out Hurricane without ever switching out of Shield Forme; on a single turn, it can get hit by Hurricane, get confusion hax, and murder itself with +6 confusion damage when it switches into Sword Forme. The safest way to do this is to just spam King's Shield, but you run the risk of getting too low on PP if Tornadus uses Double Team too many times.

There are a few disadvantages to "fast Aegislash." The advantages are that it speed ties (and can possibly outspeed and OHKO) Porygon2 and can outspeed and OHKO some things it can't KO with +6 Shadow Sneak. The downside is that a lot of those Pokemon can have Sturdy (Donphan, Magnezone who is only a speed-tie anyway, Regirock, Probopass, Aggron) or Focus Sash (Tyranitar). Given that Aegislash can tank a hit from almost any of the Pokemon that it would outspeed with Adamant +31 speed IVs, I found it easier to run a slower set, tank the hit, and take them out with a Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak combo. That obviously wouldn't work if Aegislash were usually at low health after it set up, but it's generally at full health or very close to it when it starts attacking.

Also, this team HATES Zapdos 2. My team didn't like Zapdos 2, but with Safeguard to protect Kangaskhan from Static/Heat Wave burns and Yawn to buy me some time, I would generally win against it. But between Double Team + Bright Powder misses, the threat of Kangaskhan getting hit with status, and the fact that it has Roost to heal off any damage you inflict with the other two, you'll have a hard time getting past Zapdos 2 without incurring heavy losses. And if you lose Kangaskhan against a Veteran, you're in a really tough spot if they bring out a Fire-type.

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Last generation, a new user asked for advice about Battle Subway teambuilding and play, and I prepared a lengthy answer that served as a basic guide for new singles players. Since that guide received some favorable responses, I've put together a similar, but more extensive, guide for Super Singles in the Battle Maison. Though what follows is very long (nearly eight single spaced pages in a very small font) and might be considered more suitable as an article, I post it in this thread, where I believe it will be most useful. While I do borrow some from my previous guide (for reference, it is available HERE), everything has been updated to reflect the changes between the Subway and Maison. I'm quite willing to update and improve it, so please, don't hesitate to share any corrections or suggestions you might have. I very much hope this proves helpful, especially to new Maison players. I must emphasize how valuable everyone's work on data collection and streak write-ups has been. Without all of your efforts, I would not have been able to put this together. So thanks a lot, and enjoy!

This guide intends to provide a very basic introduction to Super Singles play in the Battle Maison. While facilities like the Maison have been part of Pokemon since all the way back in Crystal, many players, even good competitive ones, don't really know where to begin when trying to put together a winning team. While you have the huge advantage of playing against the game's weak AI, you only have three Pokemon to work with, and you'll have to handle a wide variety of threats, prepare to face many unusual movesets, items, and abilities, and overcome runs of bad luck if you want to put together a lengthy streak. This requires different teambuilding and play strategies than does 6 on 6 play against another human.

First, the rules. In Maison Super Singles, you match three of your Pokemon (autoleveled down to 50 if above that level) against three level 50 opposing Pokemon. Event and title legendaries are banned, as is Soul Dew, and you cannot use two of the same Pokemon or same item. Unlike matches with Team Preview, you do not see your opponents' Pokemon in advance. Teams typically are built in one of two ways: 1) Cripple the opponent's lead, taking advantage of the AI's unwillingness to switch out in most circumstances, and then set up a sweeper or 2) Build a good-stuff/synergy team of three powerful Pokemon that are super reliable and cover each other's weaknesses.

In previous generations, cripple-and-set-up was the more successful strategy, but so far, this generation has rewarded good-stuff teams. With more abilities to worry about (since opposing Pokemon now have access to their hidden abilities), and more ways around classic cripple moves (sound moves and Inflitrator bypassing Substitute, and Roar and Whirlwind bypassing Protect, for example), an all-your-eggs-in-one-basket strategy is a lot more risky over a long streak than it used to be. Still, crippling remains viable, particularly with a Durant, but it's nice that the best beginning strategy (good-stuff attacking) is also the strategy that's had the most overall success in Super Singles.

For a basic good-stuff team, you'll want one hard hitter that can KO a lot of opposing Pokemon on its own, one bulky pivot that can help handle the Pokemon that your primary sweeper can't handle, and a third Pokemon, bulky or hard hitting, to help fill in the gaps. Because you only have three Pokemon on your team, it's vital that you minimize any glaring weaknesses, and have at least a reasonable play line against all the Pokemon you may face. For example, no matter how strong your team is against everything else, if you have little chance to beat a Timid Starmie, your run is doomed, as you will run into one long before you can put together a massive streak. Accordingly, when teambuilding, it's well worth reviewing Team Rocket Elite's complete list of Maison Pokemon and their four possible sets each (available HERE) for threats to your proposed squad. Pay special heed to the fourth set (e.g. Scizor4) for normal Pokemon and the first and second sets for legendary Pokemon, since these are the sets you'll face most often after battle 40, but recognize that legendary sets 3 and 4 still appear fairly frequently, and certain trainers, particularly those focusing in just a few types of Pokemon, have access to regular Pokemon with sets 1, 2, and 3 even deep into a streak. While some enemy sets will of course only be threatening to certain teams, others are dangerous enough that nearly any team you build should plan a strategy for handling them in advance. Starmie4, Donphan4, Walrein4, Volcarona4, and Tyrantrum4 top my personal threat checklist, but other major threats regularly discussed by experienced Battle Maison players include Terrakion3, Jynx4, Garchomp4, Tornadus1, Aerodactyl4, Zapdos2, Latios2 and 3, Thundurus2, Cresselia2, Darmanitan4, and Barbaracle4. VaporeonIce wrote an excellent guide to these most dangerous streak-stoppers (available HERE), and reviewing it while teambuilding can save you from some painful premature losses later on.

Just as in competitive play, natures, IVs and EVs matter a lot. Though your opponents in early rounds will have imperfect IVs, after battle 40, your foes will have perfectly IVed Pokemon. Accordingly, using Pokemon with bad IVs will put you at a big disadvantage. Depending on your matchup, losing just a few points of Speed can turn outspeeding your opponent into being outsped, while the loss of just a little Attack might turn a guaranteed OHKO into a 2HKO. Take the time to breed for near perfect IVs. It is well worth it. While this was a huge hassle in previous generations if you didn't RNG, the new breeding mechanics, particularly the use of Destiny Knot, make it relatively easy to breed Pokemon with 5 perfect IVs, with the imperfect one in the unused Attack or Special Attack stat. Better still, the more quality Pokemon you breed, the faster future breeding projects will go, as you'll have more well IVed parents available. Choose your EVs and nature with care as well. While maxing Speed and an attacking stat for offensive Pokemon and HP and a defensive stat for defensive ones can be correct, the best spreads are often based around specific threats that need to be outsped. Snail489's Maison Speed Tiers list (available HERE) can be very useful in figuring out what speeds you should EV your Pokemon to achieve.

In designing and playing your team, you need to focus on reducing variance, even at the cost of expected value. In competitive battles, for example, the extra OHKOs that Fire Blast nets typically make it better than Flamethrower, even with its 15% miss chance. But in the Maison, your team should already have the edge over the AI in the "average" state of the world thanks to your human intelligence in building and playing your team, so you need to minimize the harm in the "unlucky" state of the world. With Fire Blast, it's only a matter of time before you'll miss twice in a row (which will happen in 2.25% of Fire Blast pairs), and if you plan to win hundreds of battles in a row, it's a near certainty that this will happen at some point in your streak. Using 100% accurate moves is one of the most important ways of reducing variance, so be wary of trying a set that regularly needs to use inaccurate attacks. Even 90% accuracy can be remarkably risky. You're going to be stuck missing sometimes thanks to the occasional Lax Incense or Double Team using foe; there's no reason to increase this with unreliable moves, especially when an untimely miss can cost you a streak.

Critical hits, flinches, stat drops, and other secondary effects of an enemy's attacks are similarly a big source of variance, so you also need to be prepared to minimize their risk. Using powerful and speedy offensive Pokemon is one good way of doing this, as a foe can't hax you if you outspeed and OHKO it. Substitute can provide protection from unexpected otherwise-fatal critical hits, and it also blocks status moves and secondary effect stat drops and status from attacking moves. On bulkier setup Pokemon, Rest can heal an unexpected statusing, and better still, while your Pokemon is resting, it cannot be re-statused. Lum Berry can likewise heal unexpected status, while Focus Sash can save you from being OHKOed by an untimely crit.

Conservative play is also a means of reducing variance. While your lead may be able to immediately attack and kill your opponent's lead, a seemingly appealing option, if you can switch in another Pokemon and safely set up against your opponent, your battle may go a bit more slowly, but you'll be much better positioned against your opponent's future Pokemon, and accordingly, there will be fewer ways for bad luck in the remainder of the battle to hurt you. A +6 / +6 Suicune behind a Substitute fears very little, for example, while there's plenty of second Pokemon that can wreck your lead Dragonite if you immediately Outraged for an OHKO. In short, make sure that you are not mistaking the laziest play for the best one. Conversely, in other situations attacking directly will be the conservative play. Trying to squeeze in a second or third Dragon Dance and then fainting to a crit is a great way to turn a win into a loss. Getting greedy when a set up is not truly safe, or trying plays that depend heavily on correctly predicting a series of moves by your opponent (collectively, "getting cute") are the opposite of conservative play, and should be avoided.

One exception to the guideline of avoiding overly predictive plays is when you can switch-stall to drain the PP from a Pokemon who threatens multiple members of your team (but with different moves). Since the AI strongly favors attacking for the KO whenever possible, if there is only one move in your foe's set that will KO your current Pokemon, the AI will almost always choose that move. Thus, if you have a teammate who is immune or heavily resistant to that move, you can switch it in safely. Just switching to a teammate who is immune to the incoming attack is bread-and-butter Pokemon, the sort of play that any experienced trainer can make in his or her sleep, but a safe switch-in alone is not always enough to help you. Your opponent may have a second move that threatens your switched-in teammate, meaning you can't take profitable advantage of the single switch. Thankfully, (particularly with good team design) your Pokemon's resistances and immunities may synergize to the extent that your original Pokemon is immune or resistant to the move that now threatens your switch-in. In this situation, you can switch back to your original Pokemon and safely blank the second attack. If you continue to switch back and forth between the two Pokemon in this manner, you can then stall out at least one of the threatening moves, and position yourself for a safe set up. Dragonite and Aegislash stalling out an Earthquake / Stone Edge user is a classic example of this, but there are others, so keep this tactic in mind when developing strategies against foes with broad coverage that appear to threaten multiple members of your team. Just be sure (conservative play once again!) that the repeated switching really is safe, as a bunch of not very effective hits can wear down your Pokemon, and you greatly increase the chance of eating a crippling freeze or burn as an additional effect when you switch into moves multiple times.

Continuing on the subject of making the best play decisions, knowing the specific set that the Pokemon you are facing is using really helps in determining the optimal line of play. Be sure to pay attention to the opposing trainer's name when the battle starts (don't zone out in the moments between battles!), because each named enemy trainer has access to a specific list of Pokemon sets. Search for the trainer's name in Team Rocket Elite's Maison trainer list (available HERE), and see what sets are available for the Pokemon you are facing in the named trainer's list. Much of the time, there will only be one set available for each Pokemon, letting you easily pull up the set from the Maison Pokemon List to see that Pokemon's specific moves, nature, item, and EVs. Opposing Pokemon split their EVs evenly between the two (255 each) or three (170 each) listed stats, so if you need to calculate the foe's exact stats, it is easy to do so. (Where you are just concerned with whether or not you outspeed a given set, it's faster to just use the Speed Tiers list linked above). The more you play, the more you'll start to remember which trainers have access to which sets (again, most late stage trainers just have access to Set 4), what you can OHKO, and what you can outspeed, and you'll find yourself consulting the lists a lot less, but it's a good idea to get into the habit of checking frequently early on. Better to spend a little extra time reminding yourself of the set you are facing than to blow a streak to an avoidable mistake.

Though knowing what you are up against is trivial when your opponent only has one possible set for each Pokemon on his list, some regular trainers, and ALL legendary trainers (Veterans) have access to multiple sets for the same Pokemon. This can be a big problem, as the correct strategy against one set may leave you horribly vulnerable against another, and even if you figure out what you're up against after a single move, you may already be way behind. Chose your moves very carefully in these circumstances, since you want to be sure you minimize the harm should you pick a suboptimal move against the actual set you are facing. Ask yourself "what's the worst thing that can happen if I pick this move and face the wrong set?" and then make the choice that minimizes this possible harm. Remember, you have at most six options to consider (four attacks and two switches), so this is not an overwhelming exercise. Even where predicting the foe's set correctly can give you an easy set up, it's usually correct to minimize variance by focusing on ensuring the least ugly bad state of the world rather than the most beautiful good state. When this approach doesn't yield a good answer, and I remain stumped on my best plan, I usually just chose to attack, since whatever else happens, the extra damage will usually help out my next Pokemon, while trying to set up when success is not guaranteed often means throwing away a Pokemon with no benefit at all to its teammates.

The danger of these situations is a key reason why it's important to correctly identify and take advantage of matchups where you can safely set up. While getting cute and trying to set up when it's not really safe is usually a very bad idea, more likely to cost you a streak than steal you a win, maximizing your ability to seize safe setup opportunities helps limit the dangers from your opponent's remaining Pokemon. Once a sweeper is fully set up, it can often just brute force its way through all of the possible sets your opponent's second and third Pokemon can run, even if you are not sure which of these sets the foe is running. Without being set up, you're stuck in the land of making a prediction and playing to minimize the harm if you are wrong, a far more dangerous position. A lengthy (but sure) set up is almost always a better choice than a quick OHKO against Veteran trainers, since there are many ways things can turn ugly when you are sitting unboosted, facing powerful second and third foes, and can't immediately identify their sets. Time may indeed be the great equalizer in the Maison, to paraphrase Jumpman16, but where spending a little extra time can heavily reduce your risks, it's a price worth paying.

Even when you know your foe's set, remember that there's all sorts of oddities you may forget or lose track of, especially since opponents now have access to their hidden abilities and there are more unusual abilities and items available this generation than previously. Sound moves may kill you through your Substitute, Gale Wings Talonflame may wreck your fully set up Dragonite with priority Brave Bird, and so forth. Pay careful attention to the battle, so you don't risk missing something like Tailwind or Trick Room going into effect. Keep track of your opponents' possible abilities, so you don't accidentally do something foolish like triggering a Miltank's Sap Sipper with your Ferrothorn's Leech Seed. Remember that when one of a foe's possible abilities gives an immediate message (as is the case with Intimidate and Pressure), you can often deduce which ability a foe has the moment it enters play by the presence or absence of that message. Don't get careless against Pokemon with a Weakness Policy or Custap Berry, because though these items are easy to play around when you remember them, blindly attacking into them can spell big trouble. In short, pay attention, as even a brief moment of forgetfulness or carelessness can ruin a monster streak. While access to Mega Evolution gives you an edge in this generation compared to previous ones, the trade off you face is that there are a lot more things to watch out for, and more ways to be punished for sloppiness.

Eventually, even with great play, you are going to lose. As a rule of thumb, a good team's losses almost always involve some bad luck, but there's also usually a way you could have played or teambuilt around losing to that ill fortune. Accordingly, if you want to improve in the Maison, don't blindly blame hax for your losses, and instead consider what decisions you could have made differently that might have allowed you to win the battle. Sure, it's frustrating to lose to low probability events, but over a long streak, you are going to face a lot of them. Accept this, and work on minimizing the impact of these unlucky stretches, and you'll be well-positioned for Maison success.

The leaderboard gives some excellent team ideas, and is where you should start when designing a team, but on the subject of strong individual Pokemon, what follows is a list of (mostly) tried-and-true Maison Pokemon and their main advantages, disadvantages, moves, and play styles. While this list leans toward good-stuff Pokemon, I'll discuss Durant too, since so far this generation, the most successful pure cripple teams have relied on it. Note that I'll also discuss hybrid team members, who can play basic attacking roles against some foes while (partially) crippling others. Togekiss is one Pokemon who can run an effective hybrid set; Latios is another.

--

Kangaskhan: By far the most potent new singles option of this generation, the Mashing Marsupial is an absolute beast thanks to its Mega Evolution. Curtesy of Parental Bond, Mega Kanga hits incredibly hard, turns Power-Up Punch into a damage dealing Swords Dance, and merrily breaks Substitutes, Sashes, and Sturdy Pokemon as she spreads her devastation. With good Speed, excellent bulk, and only one weakness, Kanga is very hard to take down, and has been the backbone of many top-level Maison teams. Pretty much all Kanga sets run Return, for its massive STAB damage and strong neutral coverage, and Sucker Punch, for its priority and ability to hit the Ghost-types that laugh at Return. The remaining two moves usually vary based upon what role Kanga is trying to play. Played as a setup sweeper, Kanga runs Power-Up Punch and either Crunch or Earthquake, while as a cleaner, designed to come in and finish off what her teammates can't, Fake Out and Earthquake are typically preferred. Both are wonderful options. Fake Out Kanga is extremely hard to beat one-on-one, as STAB Parental Bond Fake Out opens up most foes to being KOed on the following attack, while Power-Up Punch Kanga can sweep many teams with ease after a single boost, and is able to set up even through the normally frustrating Trick, Taunt, and Encore. While like most sweepers, Kanga does not enjoy being statused, the priority on Sucker Punch at least provides some resilience against paralysis. Adamant guarantees you some more KOs, and Speed is irrelevant when using Sucker Punch, but Jolly does help you outspeed some hard-hitting Fighting-type threats like Heracross and Gallade on the first turn of battle, since your improved speed from mega evolving is only figured in on the following turn. As Fighting-type moves are Kanga's only weakness, she attracts a lot of them, so be sure to pair her with a Fighting immune or resistant partner.

Aegislash: Another new addition this generation, Aegislash is the Ghost / Steel type many have long desired. While slow, Aegislash is wonderfully bulky in Shield forme and a hard hitter in Blade forme. Typical sets run Shadow Sneak, for STAB priority, Sacred Sword for its excellent coverage, King's Shield for stalling and lowering the opponent's Attack, and Swords Dance for sweeping power. Iron Head is an option as well. Even with Steel losing its resistances to Dark and Ghost-type attacks, Aegislash still has an impressive resistance spread, and can wall and set up on many things. Ideally, Aegislash comes in on a physical attacker, cripples its Attack stat with King's Shield on a contact move, sets up with Swords Dance, and then begins attacking. Even when Aegislash cannot fully set up, it's both bulky and hard-hitting enough to take out many foes. To ease setting up and enable recovery, Leftovers is the preferred item on Aegislash, and it combos well with the extra turns gained by using King's Shield. Aegislash wants an Attack boosting nature, but both Adamant and Brave are viable options. Adamant outspeeds a few more things, but the majority of enemies will still be faster than you. Given that Aegislash stays in Shield Form until it attacks, it's often advantageous for Aegislash to be slower than its foe when it is using Sacred Sword, so that it can take that turn's attack while still in Shield Form. This cuts in favor of a Brave nature with zero Speed IVs, which also has corner-case utility against opposing Trick Room teams. Aegislash must be careful against opponents with status moves, since King's Shield does not block them, but while it hates being burned, Aegislash is immune to Toxic and only really minds being paralyzed when it loses a turn to full paralysis. Aegislash's biggest flaw as a Physical wall is its vulnerability to the extremely common Earthquake. Since the move does not make contact, King's Shield does not cripple Earthquake users, and even in Shield Form, Earthquake badly dents Aegislash. Accordingly, Aegislash really wants to be paired with a Flying or Levitating teammate. Dragonite, in particular, combos very well.

Dragonite: Dragonite remains a great choice even after the introduction of the Fairy-type. The smiling Dragon hits like a truck, particularly after a Dragon Dance or two, and it is extremely difficult to OHKO thanks to Multiscale. After just one Dance, Dragonite outspeeds and OHKOes a lot of the Maison, and after a second, very few things can survive it, absent a Focus Sash or Sturdy. Movewise, Outrage is your preferred STAB due to its incredible power, and Dragon Dance is a must for letting you outspeed and sweep through foes. Typical offensive sets round out their coverage with Earthquake and Fire Punch, but Extreme Speed can be used to dent priority using or speedy foes, Dragon Claw gives you a solid STAB without locking you into a move, and Roost gives you the chance to abuse Multiscale several times while playing a bulkier role. Adamant with max Attack and Speed is the default for pure offensive Dragonite, but particularly for Roost sets, more HP works well too. Lum Berry is probably the best choice of item, as it both protects against the confusion from Outrage and allows you to Dragon Dance safely even in the face of a status move from the opponent. The addition of the Fairy-type means that last generation's cripple-team staple of Dragon Claw / Dragon Dance / Substitute / Roost is no longer viable, but there are few enough Fairies in the Maison that Outrage is still fine when used in a normal attacking set. Dragonite's biggest weakness is its low base Speed. Because most other Maison Dragons can initially outspeed it, an unboosted Dragonite can take a lot of damage from an opposing Dragon, and crits can sometimes OHKO it even through Multiscale. Lots of Ice-type move users can outspeed you too. A Steel-type teammate can cover all of Dragonite's weaknesses, making one a recommended ally.

Suicune: My vote for best self-supporting Pokemon in the Maison. Even without any team support, Suicune can switch into and defeat a huge number of Maison Pokemon. Besides being able to counter many opponents, Suicune is often able to set up to the point that subsequent foes become pushovers as well, a big advantage compared to other bulky Water-types like Milotic. Water is an amazing defensive type, and coupled with Suicune's big defenses, Suicune can be very tough to take down. Scald, Calm Mind, and Rest are Suicune's staple moves, as they let you set up and then sweep in the face of many attacks. While I like Substitute as the fourth move, thanks to the protection it provides against crits and status and the "extra life" it gives against subsequent opponents, Icy Wind is a great alternative. The current top two singles streaks both use Icy Wind, which can help out by slowing speedy foes and giving good coverage against Dragon-types. Since Calm Mind boosts your Special stats, almost all Suicune run a Bold nature with near max HP and Defense to maximize their ability to tank Physical attacks, and a few EVs in Speed to avoid awkward speed ties. Leftovers and Chesto Berry are both good item choices. Leftovers helps over the course of long setups, and counteracts weather damage, while Chesto Berry is useful when trying to stall out Pokemon with one particularly threatening attack where two close succession Rests may be needed early in the setting up process. Note that Pressure, a normally unexciting ability, is pure gold on Suicune. Many Pokemon have only one move that can break Suicune's Substitute, particularly after a Calm Mind or two, and Pressure lets you stall out that move, and then easily set up to +6 / +6. Additionally, while there are more Pokemon immune to Water-type moves this generation, because your foes may now have their hidden abilities, this is not a big problem because Suicune, aided by Pressure, is able to beat most of these Pokemon by stalling them out.

Garchomp: With its typing, bulk, and power, Garchomp remains a strong candidate for Maison teams. With a Jolly nature and max Speed and Attack, it can outspeed many foes, and KO them with its powerful attacks. Garchomp's Ground and Dragon-type STABs cover a huge fraction of the Maison Pokemon, and corner case moves like Fire Fang and Rock Slide can handle the few that they don't. With Swords Dance and Life Orb or Lum Berry, Garchomp makes a great setup sweeper, as very few things can survive Garchomp's attacks at +2. Alternatively, with just a Choice Band, Garchomp's Outrange and Earthquake can OHKO a bunch of things. Only weak to Ice, Dragon, and Fairy-type moves, and blessed with substantial bulk, even when Garchomp isn't able to OHKO the opponent, most opponents won't be able to OHKO it either. Garchomp also plays very well with bulky Water-types. It is immune to the Electric-type attacks that they draw, while they resist the Ice-type attacks that destroy it. Like any Dragon, Garchomp fears faster Dragon-type attacks, so you may also want a Steel-type to help protect against opposing Latios and Latias or Choice Scarf Garchomp. Note that with the addition of the Fairy-type this generation, Garchomp is a little less powerful, and choice items are more of a liability, but Garchomp, even choiced, is still a potent option. Although Garchomp has the option to run a Mega Evolution, it's probably not the best idea. Garchomp really takes advantage of its unusual base 102 Speed, and Mega Chomp, being slower, is sadly outsped by many things that normal Chomp isn't. Save your Mega slot for something else. As for your choice of ability, be sure to run Rough Skin, as the damage-upon-contact proves relevant far more often than does the unreliable Sand Veil.

Greninja: With its incredible Speed, Greninja is faster than most of the Maison, and has sufficient type-coverage and attack power to get a lot of OHKOs, particularly with a boosting item. Greninja's biggest advantage over similar Pokemon like Starmie is the added punch from Protean, which essentially gives all of its attacks STAB, sometimes also turning the opponent's super effective counterattack into something not very effective. Although Grenjinja is capable of running a mixed or physical set, a special set is probably best, as it avoids awkward EV splitting and takes advantage of Greninja's higher Special Attack. Surf, Grass Knot, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, and Extrasensory are your best move options, so choose according to the type of coverage your team needs. You'll want Timid as your ability since you'll be slower than a number of threats if Modest, but you can shave a few speed EVs for added HP if you want and still be able to outspeed the important stuff. Choice Specs lets you hit the hardest, while Life Orb lets you switch attacks and take optimal advantage of Protean. Focus Sash is also a reasonable choice. Greninja's weakness is that it can't boost and is really frail, so it is vulnerable to bulky Pokemon that can take a hit or Scarfed ones that can outspeed it. Since it depends heavily on its speed, paralysis wrecks it too.

Scizor: Excellent typing gives Scizor only one weakness and a lot of key resistances, and with Technician, its STAB moves Bug Bite and Bullet Punch pack a whollop. Better yet, Scizor gained a very potent Mega Evolution. Scizor can play a boosting tank type role with Roost and Swords Dance, or can replace Roost with Superpower for better coverage. It can switch into a lot of scary moves thanks to its typing, and especially after a Swords Dance, can take big advantage of priority Bullet Punch to KO a number of Pokemon before they can act. If you are using a Dragon, you'll likely want a Steel-type to cover its weaknesses, and Scizor is one of the best options available. Just make sure your team is not otherwise weak to Fire-type moves, since that 4x weakness hurts, and remember that Scizor no longer resists Ghost and Dark-type attacks. A typical set will run an Adamant nature with Max HP and Attack and 4 EV in Speed. Itemwise, the best choice is Scizorite, since Mega Scizor is faster, bulkier, and harder hitting than its regular cousin, but if you are already committed to another Mega Evolution on your team, Leftovers works well on the Roost variant while Life Orb is probably best on the Superpower one. Lum Berry is also reasonable, as Scizor hates being burned.

Durant: Durant takes advantage of the AI's unwillingness to switch out and thereby lets an allied Pokemon fully set up and attempt to sweep. With its hidden ability of Truant, Durant first uses Entrainment to pass Truant to the opponent. Durant then switches out while the opponent loafs around, and your new Pokemon is able to set up by alternating Protect on the turns your opponent acts and a boosting move on the turns your opponent loafs around. While Durant is already quite fast unaided, because of the importance of successfully firing off an Entrainment, you should run a Jolly Nature with a Choice Scarf and max (or near max) Speed. Protect should fill one moveslot to be your first turn move when the opponent naturally has the Truant ability (or Traces it), and the final two moves should be attacks like Iron Head and X-Scissor for the occasional circumstances where Durant may have to switch back in and finish something off. Durant is vulnerable to Pokemon that can interfere with a first turn Entrainment through moves like Protect and Fake Out or Prankster status moves, and also by moves or items that cause the victim to switch out or faint before there is time to set up, such as Volt Switch, Toxic Orb, Hi Jump Kick, and Explosion. U-turn is not normally an issue because Durant resists it and so the AI rarely will use it on the first turn, after which it won't matter since Protect will stop it from working on your setup Pokemon. Also note that Pokemon with Roar and Whirlwind can force out your sweeper even when it uses Protect. While the correct strategy against these sorts of complications depends heavily on the specific Pokemon you are facing, you will definitely want to review the Maison Pokemon list carefully to be sure your team has a plan for handling Pokemon which resist this Entrainment then set up strategy. One option is to use a second support Pokemon to help cripple, while another is to use sweepers that can cover each others' weakness and set up reasonably well unaided. Popular sweepers to partner with Durant include Mega Gyarados, Cloyster, Garchomp, and Dragonite, all of whom carry Protect, a setup move, and at least one attack. Remember that if you carry just a single attack on your sweeper, you need to be sure that nothing in the Maison is immune to it. Protect / Dragon Dance / Substitute / Dragon Claw Dragonite, perhaps the best choice for a Durant partner last generation, is no longer advisable because Fairy-types are immune to Dragon Claw.

Cloyster: After a single Shell Smash, Cloyster becomes a blazing fast and hard hitting beast. With Skill Link as its ability, Icicle Spear and Rock Blast both always hit five times, doing a ton of damage and breaking through both Focus Sashes and the Sturdy ability. Surf or Razor Shell provides additional coverage. Since Shell Smash lowers Cloyster's defenses, a typical tactic is to equip it with a Focus Sash and either lead with it or switch it in after a KO to ensure it can survive the Shell Smash turn. Cloyster dislikes opposing priority moves and status ailments, particularly paralysis, so it pairs well with Garchomp or other Ground-type Pokemon, which can switch in on a predicted Thunder Wave. Because Icicle Spear at +6 OHKOs most of the Maison, Cloyster is an excellent partner for Durant, though in that case you'll obviously want to run Protect instead of a Water-type move. For best sweeping potential, run an Attack boosting nature and max Attack and Speed EVs, with the choice between Adamant and Naughty determined by whether or not you run Surf. Remember that both Rock Blast and Razor Shell have imperfect accuracy, so avoid using them when Icicle Spear will also get the KO, a particularly common situation when you pair Cloyster with Durant and are able to fully set up.

Ferrothorn: Very bulky on both the physical and special sides, and its Grass typing removes the Ground weakness that most Steel-types hate. Because of its slow Speed, Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball can be extremely powerful, and Curse plays beautifully with it, not only boosting Ferrothorn's Attack and Defense, but also increasing Gyro Ball's power by dropping Speed. Ferrothorn can play a defensive stall role with Leech Seed and Substitute, or can broaden its attacking options with Power Whip, though the move has iffy accuracy. Ferrothorn's biggest disadvantages are that it lacks a reliable recovery move and its slow speed sometimes limits what it can set up on. The 4x weakness to Fire-type moves hurts too. Still, Ferrothorn stops a number of big threats cold, and makes a good choice of Steel-type. Since Ferrothorn can boost its Attack and Defense but not its Special Defense, you typically want a Special Defense boosting nature, while Gyro Ball means you want as low a Speed as possible. Accordingly, Sassy with 0 Speed IVs is your preferred nature, with maxed HP and Special Defense to maximize your special bulk. Itemwise, Leftovers is probably best, as it combines well with Leech Seed recovery, and Ferrothorn needs all the recovery it can get when trying to set up.

Gengar: Gengar has a wonderful Special Attack stat and great Speed, enabling it to outspeed threats like Infernape and the Musketeers. Its three immunities are really helpful too, and a small number of Pokemon in the Maison are unable to hurt Gengar at all. Unfortunately, it lacks a good boosting move and with the limited power and coverage of its STAB moves, a Life Orb or Choice Specs set won't grab as many OHKOs as you might want. Accordingly, Gengar works best as a lead with a Focus Sash, three damaging attacks, and Destiny Bond. Shadow Ball, Destiny Bond, and Thunderbolt are used in pretty much all sets of this sort. Last generation, the fourth slot was often filled with the horribly inaccurate Focus Blast for the coverage it provided against Steel-types, but in X and Y, since Shadow Ball now deals neutral damage to Steel-types, Gengar is free to use his Poison-type STAB and run Sludge Bomb, which hits the new Fairy-type super effectively. Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball are also options if you want to dominate against Dragon-types or Water / Ground types. Against many foes, you can outspeed and 2HKO the lead, survive the first-turn counterattack thanks to your Sash, and then outspeed and KO the second opponent with Destiny Bond. This leaves you with a 2-1 advantage, typically a happy place to be in a battle. Even where you can't beat the opponent's lead, you can almost always at least trade with it thanks to Destiny Bond, meaning Gengar always helps a little. Since Gengar usually dies, however, you need to be really sure your remaining two Pokemon can cover as broad a range of threats as possible, since if the opponent's last Pokemon can beat both of Gengar's partners, you will be in trouble. Naturally, with Speed being so important to this strategy, Gengar should be Timid, with maxed Speed and Special Attack. Gengar also received an extremely powerful Mega Evolution, which can gain you more KOs with its substantially increased Speed and Special Attack, but be wary. You won't be able to run Focus Sash anymore, so a high powered attack or unexpected crit may ruin your strategy, while the loss of Levitate makes you vulnerable to Earthquake. Shadow Tag is amazing against a live opponent, but is near useless against the AI. You could also try to take better advantage of Mega Gengar's stats by just running four attacks, but the lack of a boosting move and the inability to use a boosting item like Life Orb means that you still may not get as many KOs as you'd hope.

Togekiss: A very versatile Pokemon, Togekiss makes an excellent lead. Thanks to Sarene Grace, it has a 60% chance to flinch with STAB Air Slash, giving it a chance of turning even unfavorable matchups favorable, or converting a 2HKO into a virtual OHKO, with the opponent not getting a chance to act. It can also be a powerful supporter for its teammates, putting foes to sleep with Yawn, Tricking over a Choice Scarf (an item which also happens to play very well with the flinch chance on Air Slash), or setting up a Safeguard. Togekiss also has very nice Special Attack, which it can boost with Nasty Plot, and access to reliable recovery, in the form of Roost. Base 80 Speed is a bit slow for the setup sweeper role, but the option is available. In the attacking moves department, after Air Slash, STAB Dazzling Gleam and Aura Sphere are probably your best bets, but you have a ton of potential coverage options depending on your team's needs, including Psychic, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, and Grass Knot. The current top Togekiss streak uses a Bold hybrid support/tank set with maxed HP and Special Attack, but you should be able to find success with many other spreads too. For your item, Trick sets naturally want Choce Scarf, while Lum Berry, Leftovers, and Life Orb all are possibilities for other builds depending on the role you want Togekiss to play.

Azumarill: Another Pokemon that's benefited from gaining the Fairy-type this generation, Azumarill takes advantage of its ability, Huge Power, to hit opponents ridiculously hard. Water / Fairy is a strong defensive typing, and Azumarill is pretty bulky to boot, so it is typically able to take a hit or two without difficulty. Azumarill is especially bulky when it uses an Assault Vest, which boosts Special Defense by 50% at the cost of not being able to use non-attacking moves. Thankfully, Azumarill is still able to boost despite this limitation thanks to the beauty of Power-Up Punch, which conveniently also breaks Sashes and Sturdy. Waterfall and Play Rough provide powerful STAB coverage, and the downsides of Azumarill's low Speed are at least partially mitigated by using Aqua Jet, which provides an unusually strong priority hit. While Azumarill can run the the feared Belly Drum + Aqua Jet combination this generation, it's probably too high variance of a strategy for a typical Maison team. Lots of things can beat you when you drop 50% of your HP, even when you are at +6 Attack with a STAB priority move. Because of its low base Speed and access to a priority attack, Azumarill shouldn't bother boosting its Speed, and should instead focus on power and bulk by running an Adamant Nature (every point of attack is extra valuable thanks to the doubling by Huge Power) with maxed Attack and HP. While hardly a traditional "Bulky Water", Azumarill can fill a similar role on most teams, covering important weaknesses while trading some durability and recovery for much better sweeping ability. A weakness of Azumarill is the imperfect accuracy on Play Rough. Over a long streak, you can and will suffer misses at inopportune times, so it can be worrisome to rely on such a move. One option for controlling this is to run Wide Lens, which boosts Play Rough's accuracy to a much safer 99%, but losing Assault Vest really hurts your Special bulk.

Gyarados: With good defensive typing (save for the 4x weakness to Electric-type attacks), the ability to set up with Dragon Dance, and Intimidate to ease the setting up process, Gyarados can be a potent sweeper. Unfortunately Waterfall is a low base power physical STAB and Gyarados lacks a fully reliable Flying STAB (Bounce does not count!), so it is normally a bit outclassed by other Dragon Dancing options like Dragonite. Still, even with these disadvantages, Gyarados can be a valuable teammate, particularly when paired with a strong Ground-type that can cover its 4x weakness. More importantly, Gyarados received a very helpful Mega Evolution, which makes it one of the best available sweepers to set up against a crippled opponent, so it plays well on a Durant team. Mega Gyarados gains a lot of power and bulk, but perhaps its biggest blessing is its new ability of Mold Breaker. With Mold Breaker, abilities like Sturdy, Multiscale, and Levitate no longer hinder your sweeping moves, and better yet, you still get to take advantage of Intimidate as you switch in before you Mega Evolve. Fully set up, there is not a lot that can survive Gyarados' Mold Breaker-backed attacks. Losing your Flying typing costs you the immunity to Ground-type attacks, and Dark typing is not the best replacement, but it at least rids you of the 4x weakness to Electric-type moves and gives you a handy Psychic-type immunity. Waterfall and Dragon Dance appear on almost all Gyarados sets. When coupled with Durant, Protect (obviously) and Earthquake are your best options, while on a more generic sweeper, Earthquake, Return, Bounce and Ice Fang all have their advantages. Naturally, using Mega Gyarados requires a held Gyaradosite, but normal Gyarados can use Leftovers (which plays particularly well with Bounce), Lum Berry, or Life Orb. Gyarados typically runs an Adamant nature with maximum Attack EVs and substantial investment in Speed, but putting some EVs into HP to increase its bulk can be very helpful when setting up.

Starmie: One of the most dangerous Maison foes, Starmie can do well as a teammate too. 115 base Speed means that Starmie outspeeds most Maison opponents and its wonderful mix of coverage moves hit weaknesses hard, often for OHKOs, particularly when Starmie is equipped with a Life Orb or Choice Specs. Starmie can be a nice cleaner as well, finishing off Pokemon that its teammates have weakened. Unfortunately, Starmie is a lot less exciting this generation because Greninja just does these jobs better. Greninja has better natural Speed (and slightly better Special Attack), but more importantly, Protean gives Greninja STAB on all of its moves, which is huge for turning 2HKOs into OHKOs. Starmie still has some edges, notably its ability to recover from status moves with Natural Cure, and its somewhat better bulk, which means that it is able to survive many attacks at full health, short of STAB super effective moves or crits. Starmie can also run Recover, but honestly, it's not quite bulky enough to take full advantage, particularly since it lacks a boosting move like Calm Mind to pair with it. Even though Greninja now has the edge, Starmie remains usable, and can help you put together a solid streak. Most Starmie run Surf, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt. Pyschic, Psyshock and Hidden Power Fire are probably your best options for the fourth move, but Grass Knot, Dazzling Gleam, and even Flash Cannon are potential choices if you need their specific coverage. Starmie can also semi-cripple with Thunder Wave, but I believe it's best to focus on attack coverage more than support here. Starmie depends on its Speed and needs to optimize its middling power, so Timid with max Speed and Special Attack is your ideal spread. Choice Specs, Life Orb, Expert Belt, and Focus Sash all have merit as possible held items.

Latios: Not quite as fast as Starmie, but blessed with a much better Special Attack, Latios hits fast and hard. Latios also can set up a bit with Calm Mind, helping it muscle through opposing teams, and can even run a bulky setup style with both Calm Mind and Recover. You'll almost certainly want to run Dragon Pulse, but after that, you've got a lot of move flexibility, with a STAB Psychic or Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam, and even Hidden Power Fire all being reasonable attack possibilities. You also have the option to use Latios as a hybrid attack/cripple lead, giving it three attacks, Life Orb, and Memento. Attack away until you get low, then Memento to make it easier for your next Pokemon to set up. Psychic typing gives Latios a lot more weaknesses than the typical Dragon, but it has a nice resistance spread too, and is one of the few Dragons to lack the ugly 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, which means it can survive medium strength Ice-type attacks where many of its brethren would crumble. Latios' biggest shortcoming compared to other Dragon-types is the lack of a special attacking version of Outrage. Dragon Pulse is a fine move, but the thirty-five points of power it lacks compared to Outrage often makes the difference between an OHKO and a 2HKO. Latios can get a lot of opponents low with one move, but can't blast through teams as well as an Outraging Garchomp or Dragonite. Draco Meteor looks nice, but the 90% accuracy can bite you at the worst possible time, and the substantial Special Attack drop means you can't use it to sweep entire teams. Attacking sets are probably best served by running a Life Orb, a Timid Nature, and max Speed and Special Attack, but Modest Choice Scarf Latios makes a mean revenge killer. When running both Calm Mind and Recover, it's probably best to keep the high Speed, Latios' chief advantage over other Calm Mind users, but the EVs normally directed to Special Attack may prove more valuable if moved to HP. Last generation, Jumpman16 built a team that took advantage of the way Latios' and Terrakion's weaknesses and resistances perfectly complemented each other, and though the Fairy-type has complicated things this generation, it's still a pairing to consider.

Haxorus: While it has lower overall stats than Garchomp or Dragonite, Haxorus earns his keep in the Maison on the basis of sheer power. With its massive 147 Attack Stat its attacks leave a mark, and thanks to Mold Breaker, it can bypass annoying abilities like Sturdy, Multiscale, and Levitate. Dragon Dance is highly recommended since it improves Haxorus's middling Speed and boosts its already-awesome power, while Outrage deserves a slot based upon raw STAB power alone. Earthquake covers the Steel-types that resist Outrage, and thanks to Mold Breaker can even hit Levitators like Bronzong. Because of of the combination of Outrage's high base power and STAB, most additional coverage moves are not worth it, since a not very effective Outrage deals damage similar to neutral coverage attacks like X-Scissor and Rock Slide (the ratio is the same for neutral Outrage versus super effective coverage moves too), though such moves may have value when hitting 4x weaknesses. Substitute can be useful for giving Haxorus protection from status and a virtual "extra life", while Swords Dance boosts Attack very quickly. Haxorus's unusual 97 base Speed means it can be outsped unboosted by many other Dragons, making them dangerous thanks to their ability to hit you with a super effective Dragon-type attack, but after a single Dragon Dance, Haxorus is very hard to stop. The most successful Haxorus set in Super Singles to date used a bulky, Adamant, 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe spread calculated to just outspeed Choice Band Tyrantrum unboosted and base 130 Speed Pokemon with a Speed+ nature after one Dragon Dance, so is the best spread to start with. Lum Berry helps ensure you can get that one key Dragon Dance in without getting statused, but Life Orb is always an option if you are just after attack power. While Haxorus is frailer than many of its Dragon-type cousins, this is often unimportant, as Haxorus emphasizes the idea that the best defense is a good offense. Being mono-type, it doesn't have a second STAB, but this means it avoids the 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks that plagues many other Dragons.

Milotic: If you lack a Suicune (or don't have one with good stats and nature), Milotic is a reasonable replacement. Good bulk (particularly with Marvel Scale), reasonable Speed, and the flexibility to attack decently well make Milotic a fine choice for a bulky Water-type Pokemon in the Maison. Recover provides reliable recovery, Scald and Ice Beam give solid damage (and the chance of a super helpful burn or freeze), and Toxic lets you beat other bulky Water-types (or bulky Pokemon generally). You can even add Protect to the Toxic + Recover combo to crank up the Toxic stalling. Although Rest plays well with Marvel Scale, it is less appealing without a boosting move to go with it, and relying on Rest instead of Recover makes Milotic function even more like a weaker Suicune. Sadly, Toxic stalling Milotic looses badly to bulky boosting enemies with Rest. Moreover, Milotic is vulnerable to untimely crits (since it doesn't normally have room to run Substitute) and unlike Suicune, can't set up on things it dominates to make sweeping subsequent Pokemon easier. Despite these weaknesses, Milotic had some success last generation, and there's no reason it can't enjoy similar success now. A Bold nature with lots of Defense EVs is probably your best plan, since Milotic is a bit lacking in Defense, but you can move a few EVs to Speed and/or Special Attack if you want to give it a little more pop. Toxic stalling is also much easier when you can outspeed your opponent. Leftovers is the classic item for bulky Pokemon like Milotic, but since Milotic hates being hit by Toxic, Lum Berry makes sense too.

Darmanitan: Sheer Force + Flare Blitz gives Darmanitan ridiculous power. Throw on a Choice Scarf and you'll outspend most of the Maison, letting you dish out the KOs without taking a hit in return. Moves like Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Superpower provide solid coverage, and U-Turn lets you do a little damage while switching out of unfavorable matchups. Still, spamming Flare Blitz is your biggest strength, and that alone will get you a number of wins. Your biggest weakness is that Fire doesn't have the greatest coverage and is a bad defensive type, but for pure attacking power, very little matches Darmanitan. Since you want to maximize your OHKOs and really don't want anything to outspeed you, given your uninspiring defenses and the recoil from Flare Blitz, an Adamant nature with max Attack and Speed EVs is heavily recommended. Though Choice Scarf is definitely your preferred item, Choice Band gives you obscene attacking power, at the severe cost of allowing many threats to outspeed you. And if you really want to live the dream, imagine how hard Darmanitan will hit if you can set up sunny weather for it.... Sadly, the shared weaknesses with Drought Pokemon like Mega Charizard Y means that focusing on sun-backup for Darmanitan is likely to give your team too many fatal vulnerabilities, but even without favorable weather, Darmanitan packs a punch.

--

The above list is not intended to be comprehensive, just a useful starting place, and I'm sure that many other Pokemon are quite viable. Powerful sweepers like Terrakion and Volcarona seem appealing, and last generation's crippler staples like Latias and Whimsicott may still have roles to play. One of the best parts the Maison leaderboard is seeing someone put together a big streak with unexpected Pokemon. Last generation, Chinese Dood put together a 349 win streak based around crippler Stoutland, hardly anyone's idea of a Subway staple before then! So be creative, and don't feel unreasonably restricted by the above list.

Reading about the Maison is fine and dandy, but teambuilding and playing are much more satisfying, so it's time to wrap this up. In summation and closing, once you've built a team, remember the following, and you'll do well:

1. Pay attention. Zoning out and missing the trainer name or not noticing something like Trick Room or Tailwind can be fatal.
2. Know your foes. Not just their moves and stats, but held items and potential abilities too.
3. Play conservatively. Take advantage of safe setup opportunities, even at the cost of time, but don't try to get too cute.

Finally, have fun! That's why we're all here, after all. Best of luck as you try to build a big streak!

EDIT: Added a lengthier list of major threats, with a link to VaporeonIce's excellent threat guide. I also take turskain's advise and discuss switch-stalling as a useful tactic, and remove the admittedly speculative Mega Charizard Y from the recommended Pokemon list.

Last edited:

turskain

That is a very good guide. I'd like to mention that not all drawn-out predictive plays are risky - for example, PP stalling Stone Edge/Earthquake or even QC Donphan's Fissure/Stone Edge/Earthquake with Dragonite/Aegislash or Togekiss/Aegislash is completely safe if done correctly and essential to the effectiveness of teams utilizing those combinations, and deserves a mention in the write-ups for them.

I think Mega Charizard Y is too speculative for the list of good Pokémon. Having used it in Doubles where Mat Block Greninja support is absolutely essential for it to succeed, I don't consider viable in Singles - Veterans are particularly awful, with it matching very badly against many of the more threatening Pokémon they can run, including Zapdos, Moltres, Musketeers, Lati@s, and almost any of the numerous threats that outspeed it that I forgot. Fire/Flying typing and its lacking bulk, especially physically, and lack of Lum Berry greatly limit switching in, limiting it to suicide leading and revenge killing only in a lot of cases. Running dual Fire types with Scarf Darmanitan seems like an equally vulnerable proposition, with massive weaknesses to Quick Claw, Gale Wings Talonflame, Aerodactyl, fellow Fire types (who also get Sun-boosted STAB attacks and instant Solarbeam to ram your third Pokémon such as Suicune with), and probably a lot of other things. QC Donphan alone could probably solo the whole team without need for lucky Fissures just with one QC Stone Edge (Quick Claw's proc chance is 3/16) on either of the two.

Great guide, NoCheese ! One thing you may want to add is a section about common threats and streak-stoppers. Obviously, every team has different weaknesses, but saying what the big threats are and why can be really helpful to anyone planning a team. A lot of people recommend teams (or even a certain ordering of teams) that puts them at a huge disadvantage against a particular threatening and common opponent. You give a brief list, but a bit of expansion on that and some explanation might help. The Pokemon that come to mind for me are Jynx 4, Tyrantrum 4, Walrein 4, Terrakion 3, Volcarona 4, Starmie 4, Garchomp 4, Tornadus 1 (and possible 2), and Aerodactyl 4; newer players seem to have a lot of trouble with Cresselia 2, which actually is quite dangerous if you don't have a Toxic immunity or a physical sweeper than can set up VERY fast. Also, people don't mention having many problems with them (because almost everyone uses one of Aegislash, Scizor, Ferrothorn, or Greninja), but Latios 2 and 3 are serious threats that everyone should be prepared for. Thundurus 2 falls into that camp as well; you need to be prepared for a crit STAB Choice Specs Thunderbolt. Zapdos 2 isn't super dangerous off the bat, but the fact that it can have Static (and that pretty much every physical move you should use in the Maison besides Icicle Spear is a contact move) and that it has Heat Wave to burn stuff and kill Ferrothorn makes it a huge annoyance.

Come to think of it, I might write up a post on "especially dangerous Battle Maison Pokemon" myself at some point, but we'll see.

Great guide, NoCheese ! One thing you may want to add is a section about common threats and streak-stoppers. Obviously, every team has different weaknesses, but saying what the big threats are and why can be really helpful to anyone planning a team. A lot of people recommend teams (or even a certain ordering of teams) that puts them at a huge disadvantage against a particular threatening and common opponent. You give a brief list, but a bit of expansion on that and some explanation might help. The Pokemon that come to mind for me are Jynx 4, Tyrantrum 4, Walrein 4, Terrakion 3, Volcarona 4, Starmie 4, Garchomp 4, Tornadus 1 (and possible 2), and Aerodactyl 4; newer players seem to have a lot of trouble with Cresselia 2, which actually is quite dangerous if you don't have a Toxic immunity or a physical sweeper than can set up VERY fast. Also, people don't mention having many problems with them (because almost everyone uses one of Aegislash, Scizor, Ferrothorn, or Greninja), but Latios 2 and 3 are serious threats that everyone should be prepared for. Thundurus 2 falls into that camp as well; you need to be prepared for a crit STAB Choice Specs Thunderbolt. Zapdos 2 isn't super dangerous off the bat, but the fact that it can have Static (and that pretty much every physical move you should use in the Maison besides Icicle Spear is a contact move) and that it has Heat Wave to burn stuff and kill Ferrothorn makes it a huge annoyance.

Come to think of it, I might write up a post on "especially dangerous Battle Maison Pokemon" myself at some point, but we'll see.
Please do it will be extremely helpful. You could consider the Scarfed Landorus, it can take by surprise people relying of fast Pokes such as Greninja or Aerodactyl.

Just a suggestion, though.

Last generation, a new user asked for advice about Battle Subway teambuilding and play, and I prepared a lengthy response that served as a basic guide for new singles players. Since that guide received some favorable responses, I've put together a similar, but more extensive, guide for Super Singles in the Battle Maison. Though what follows is very long (nearly eight single spaced pages in a very small font) and might be considered more suitable as an article, I post it in this thread, where I believe it will be most useful. While I do borrow some from my previous guide, everything has been updated to reflect the changes between the Subway and Maison. I'm quite willing to update and improve it, so please, don't hesitate to share any corrections or suggestions you might have. I very much hope this proves helpful, especially to new Maison players. I must emphasize how valuable everyone's work on data collection and streak write-ups has been. Without all of your efforts, I would not have been able to put this together. So thanks a lot, and enjoy!

This guide intends to provide a very basic introduction to Super Singles play in the Battle Maison. While facilities like the Maison have been part of Pokemon since all the way back in Crystal, many players, even good competitive ones, don't really know where to begin when trying to put together a winning team. While you have the huge advantage of playing against the game's weak AI, you only have three Pokemon to work with, and you'll have to handle a wide variety of threats, prepare to face many unusual movesets, items, and abilities, and overcome runs of bad luck if you want to put together a lengthy streak. This requires different teambuilding and play strategies than does 6 on 6 play against another human.

First, the rules. In Maison Super Singles, you match three of your Pokemon (autoleveled down to 50 if above that level) against three level 50 opposing Pokemon. Event and title legendaries are banned, as is Soul Dew, and you cannot use two of the same Pokemon or same item. Unlike matches with the team viewer, you do not see your opponents' Pokemon in advance. Teams typically are built in one of two ways: 1) Cripple the opponent's lead, taking advantage of the AI's unwillingness to switch out in most circumstances, and then set up a sweeper or 2) Build a good-stuff/synergy team of three powerful Pokemon that are super reliable and cover each other's weaknesses.

In previous generations, cripple-and-set-up was the more successful strategy, but so far, this generation has rewarded good-stuff teams. With more abilities to worry about (since opposing Pokemon now have access to their hidden abilities), and more ways around classic cripple moves (sound moves and Inflitrator bypassing Substitute, and Roar and Whirlwind bypassing Protect, for example), an all-your-eggs-in-one-basket strategy is a lot more risky over a long streak than it used to be. Still, crippling remains viable, particularly with a Durant, but it's nice that the best beginning strategy (good-stuff attacking) is also the strategy that's had the most overall success in Super Singles.

For a basic good-stuff team, you'll want one hard hitter that can KO a lot of opposing Pokemon on its own, one bulky pivot that can help handle the Pokemon that your primary sweeper can't handle, and a third Pokemon, bulky or hard hitting, to help fill in the gaps. Because you only have three Pokemon on your team, it's vital that you minimize any glaring weaknesses, and have at least a reasonable play line against all the Pokemon you may face. For example, no matter how strong your team is against everything else, if you have little chance to beat a Timid Starmie, your run is doomed, as you will run into one long before you can put together a massive streak. Accordingly, when teambuilding, it's well worth reviewing Team Rocket Elite's complete list of Maison Pokemon and their four possible sets each (available HERE) for threats to your proposed squad. Pay special heed to the fourth set (e.g. Scizor4) for normal Pokemon and the first and second sets for legendary Pokemon, since these are the sets you'll face most often after battle 40, but recognize that legendary sets 3 and 4 still appear fairly frequently, and certain trainers, particularly those focusing in just a few types of Pokemon, have access to regular Pokemon with sets 1, 2, and 3 even deep into a streak. Once you've been playing for a while, certain key foes will stick in your mind as threats you must take extra care in building around. Donphan4, Starmie4, Volcarona4, and Walrein4 are of particular note.

Just as in competitive play, natures, IVs and EVs matter a lot. Though your opponents in early rounds will have imperfect IVs, after battle 40, your foes will have perfectly IVed Pokemon. Accordingly, using Pokemon with bad IVs will put you at a big disadvantage. Depending on your matchup, losing just a few points of Speed can turn outspeeding your opponent into being outsped, while the loss of just a little Attack might turn a guaranteed OHKO into a 2HKO. Take the time to breed for near perfect IVs. It is well worth it. While this was a huge hassle in previous generations if you didn't RNG, the new breeding mechanics, particularly the use of Destiny Knot, make it relatively easy to breed Pokemon with 5 perfect IVs, with the imperfect one in the unused Attack or Special Attack stat. Better still, the more quality Pokemon you breed, the faster future breeding projects will go, as you'll have more well IVed parents available. Choose your EVs and nature with care as well. While maxing Speed and an attacking stat for offensive Pokemon and HP and a defensive stat for defensive ones can be correct, the best spreads are often based around specific threats that need to be outsped. Snail489's Maison Speed Tiers list (available HERE) can be very useful in figuring out what speeds you should EV your Pokemon to achieve.

In designing and playing your team, you need to focus on reducing variance, even at the cost of expected value. In competitive battles, for example, the extra OHKOs that Fire Blast nets typically make it better than Flamethrower, even with its 15% miss chance. But in the Maison, your team should already have the edge over the AI in the "average" state of the world thanks to your human intelligence in building and playing your team, so you need to minimize the harm in the "unlucky" state of the world. With Fire Blast, it's only a matter of time before you'll miss twice in a row (which will happen in 2.25% of Fire Blast pairs), and if you plan to win hundreds of battles in a row, it's a near certainty that this will happen at some point in your streak. Using 100% accurate moves is one of the most important ways of reducing variance, so be wary of trying a set that regularly needs to use inaccurate attacks. Even 90% accuracy can be remarkably risky. You're going to be stuck missing sometimes thanks to the occasional Lax Incense or Double Team using foe; there's no reason to increase this with unreliable moves, especially when an untimely miss can cost you a streak.

Critical hits, flinches, stat drops, and other secondary effects of an enemy's attack's are similarly a big source of variance, so you also need to be prepared to minimize their risk. Using powerful and speedy offensive Pokemon is one good way of doing this, as a foe can't hax you if you outspeed and OHKO it. Substitute can provide protection from unexpected otherwise-fatal critical hits, and it also blocks status moves and secondary effect stat drops and status from attacking moves. On bulkier setup Pokemon, Rest can heal an unexpected statusing, and better still, while your Pokemon is resting, it cannot be re-statused. Lum Berry can likewise heal unexpected status, while Focus Sash can save you from being OHKOed by an untimely crit.

Conservative play is also a means to reducing variance. While your lead may be able to immediately attack and kill your opponent's lead, a seemingly appealing option, if you can switch in another Pokemon and safely set up against your opponent, your battle may go a bit more slowly, but you'll be much better positioned against your opponent's future Pokemon, and accordingly, there will be fewer ways for bad luck in the remainder of the battle to hurt you. A +6 / +6 Suicune behind a Substitute fears very little, for example, while there's plenty of second Pokemon that can wreck your lead Dragonite if you immediately Outraged for a OHKO. In short, make sure that you are not mistaking the laziest play for the best one. Conversely, in other situations attacking directly will be the conservative play. Trying to squeeze in a second or third Dragon Dance and then fainting to a crit is a great way to turn a win into a loss. Getting greedy when a set up is not truly safe, or trying plays that depend heavily on correctly predicting a series of moves by your opponent (collectively, "getting cute") are the opposite of conservative play, and should be avoided.

Continuing in this line, knowing the specific set that the Pokemon you are facing is using really helps in determining the optimal line of play. Be sure to pay attention to the opposing trainer's name when the battle starts (don't zone out in the moments between battles!), because each named enemy trainer has access to a specific list of Pokemon sets. Search for the trainer's name in the Team Rocket Elite's Maison trainer list (available HERE), and see what sets are available for the Pokemon you are facing in the named trainer's list. Much of the time, there will only be one set available for each Pokemon, letting you easily pull up the set from the Maison Pokemon List to see that Pokemon's specific moves, nature, item, and EVs. Opposing Pokemon split their EVs evenly between the two (255 each) or three (170 each) listed stats, so if you need to calculate the foe's exact stats, it is easy to do so. (Where you are just concerned with whether or not you outspeed a given set, it's faster to just use the Speed Tiers list linked above). The more you play, the more you'll start to remember which trainers have access to which sets (again, most late stage trainers just have access to Set 4), what you can OHKO, and what you can outspeed, and you'll find yourself consulting the lists a lot less, but it's a good idea to get into the habit of checking frequently early on. Better to spend a little extra time reminding yourself of the set you are facing than to blow a streak to an avoidable mistake.

Though knowing what you are up against is trivial when your opponent only has one possible set for each Pokemon on his list, some regular trainers, and ALL legendary trainers (Veterans) have access to multiple sets for the same Pokemon. This can be a big problem, as the correct strategy against one set may leave you horribly vulnerable against another, and even if you figure out what you're up against after a single move, you may already be way behind. Chose your moves very carefully in these circumstances, since you want to be sure you minimize the harm should you pick a suboptimal move against the actual set you are facing. Ask yourself "what's the worst thing that can happen if I pick this move and face the wrong set?" and then make the choice that minimizes this possible harm. Remember, you have at most six options to consider (four attacks and two switches), so this is not an overwhelming exercise. Even where predicting the foe's set correctly can give you an easy set up, it's usually correct to minimize variance by focusing on ensuring the least ugly bad state of the world rather than the most beautiful good state. When this approach doesn't yield a good answer, and I remain stumped on my best plan, I usually just chose to attack, since whatever else happens, the extra damage will usually help out my next Pokemon, while trying to set up when success is not guaranteed often means throwing away a Pokemon with no benefit at all to its teammates.

The danger of these situations is a key reason why it's important to correctly identify and take advantage of matchups where you can safely set up. While getting cute and trying to set up when it's not really safe is usually a very bad idea, more likely to cost you a streak than steal you a win, maximizing your ability to seize safe setup opportunities helps limit the dangers from your opponent's remaining Pokemon. Once a sweeper is fully set up, it can often just brute force its way through all of the possible sets your opponent's second and third Pokemon can run, even if you are not sure which of these sets the foe is running. Without being set up, you're stuck in the land of making a prediction and playing to minimize the harm if you are wrong, a far more dangerous position. A lengthy (but sure) set up is almost always a better choice than a quick OHKO against Veteran trainers, since there are many ways things can turn ugly when you are sitting unboosted, facing powerful second and third foes, and can't immediately identify their sets. Time may indeed be the great equalizer in the Maison, to paraphrase Jumpman16, but where spending a little extra time can heavily reduce your risks, it's a price worth paying.

Even when you know your foe's set, remember that there's all sorts of oddities you may forget or lose track of, especially since opponents now have access to their hidden abilities and there are more unusual abilities and items available this generation than previously. Sound moves may kill you through your Substitute, Gale Wings Talonflame may wreck your fully set up Dragonite with priority Brave Bird, and so forth. Pay careful attention to the battle, so you don't risk missing something like Tailwind or Trick Room going into effect. Keep track of your opponents' possible abilities, so you don't accidentally do something foolish like triggering a Miltank's Sap Sipper with your Ferrothorn's Leech Seed. Remember that when one of a foe's possible abilities gives an immediate message (as is the case with Intimidate and Pressure), you can often deduce which ability a foe has the moment it enters play by the presence or absence of that message. Don't get careless against Pokemon with a Weakness Policy or Custap Berry, because though these items are easy to play around when you remember them, blindly attacking into them can spell big trouble. In short, pay attention, as even a brief moment of forgetfulness or carelessness can ruin a monster streak. While access to Mega Evolution gives you an edge in this generation compared to previous ones, the trade off you face is that there are a lot more things to watch out for, and more ways to be punished for sloppiness.

Eventually, even with great play, you are going to lose. As a rule of thumb, a good team's losses almost always involve some bad luck, but there's also usually a way you could have played or teambuilt around losing to that ill fortune. Accordingly, if you want to improve in the Maison, don't blindly blame hax for your losses, and instead consider what decisions you could have made differently that might have allowed you to win the battle. Sure, it's frustrating to lose to low probability events, but over a long streak, you are going to face a lot of them. Accept this, and work on minimizing the impact of these unlucky stretches, and you'll be well-positioned for Maison success.

The leaderboard gives some excellent team ideas, and is where you should start when designing a team, but on the subject of strong individual Pokemon, what follows is a list of (mostly) tried-and-true Maison Pokemon and their main advantages, disadvantages, moves, and play styles. While this list leans toward good-stuff Pokemon, I'll discuss Durant too, since so far this generation, the most successful pure cripple teams have relied on it. Note that I'll also discuss hybrid team members, who can play basic attacking roles against some foes while (partially) crippling others. Togekiss is one Pokemon who can run an effective hybrid set; Latios is another.

--

Kangaskhan: By far the most potent new singles option of this generation, the Mashing Marsupial is an absolute beast thanks to its Mega Evolution. Curtesy of Parental Bond, Mega Kanga hits incredibly hard, turns Power-Up Punch into a damage dealing Swords Dance, and merrily breaks Substitutes, Sashes, and Sturdy Pokemon as she spreads her devastation. With good Speed, excellent bulk, and only one weakness, Kanga is very hard to take down, and has been the backbone of many top-level Maison teams. Pretty much all Kanga sets run Return, for its massive STAB damage and strong neutral coverage, and Sucker Punch, for its priority and ability to hit the Ghost-types that laugh at Return. The remaining two moves usually vary based upon what role Kanga is trying to play. Played as a setup sweeper, Kanga runs Power-Up Punch and either Crunch or Earthquake, while as a cleaner, designed to come in and finish off what her teammates can't, Fake Out and Earthquake are typically preferred. Both are wonderful options. Fake Out Kanga is extremely hard to beat one-on-one, as STAB Paternal Bond Fake Out opens up most foes to being KOed on the following attack, while Power-Up Punch Kanga can sweep many teams with ease after a single boost, and is able to set up even through the normally frustrating Trick, Taunt, and Encore. While like most sweepers, Kanga does not enjoy being statused, the priority on Sucker Punch at least provides some resilience against paralysis. Though you may be tempted to run a Jolly nature to outspeed more opponents, Adamant is the best choice of nature. Jolly doesn't outspeed many additional Pokemon that are of particular danger to Kanga, while Adamant allows Kanga to OHKO many of the Fighting-type Pokemon like Blaziken, Sawk, and Gallade, that otherwise could survive and hit back hard with a STAB Fighting-type move. Adamant also helps ensure certain OHKOs with Sucker Punch, where the speed gained from a Jolly nature is completely irrelevant. As Fighting-type moves are Kanga's only weakness, she attracts a lot of them, so be sure to pair her with a Fighting immune or resistant partner.

Aegislash: Another new addition this generation, Aegislash is the Ghost / Steel type many have long desired. While slow, Aegislash is wonderfully bulky in Shield forme and a hard hitter in Blade forme. Typical sets run Shadow Sneak, for STAB priority, Sacred Sword for its excellent coverage, King's Shield for stalling and lowering the opponent's Attack, and Swords Dance for sweeping power. Iron Head is an option as well. Even with Steel losing its resistances to Dark and Ghost-type attacks, Aegislash still has an impressive resistance spread, and can wall and set up on many things. Ideally, Aegislash comes in on a physical attacker, cripples its Attack stat with King's Shield on a contact move, sets up with Swords Dance, and then begins attacking. Even when Aegislash cannot fully set up, it's both bulky and hard-hitting enough to take out many foes. To ease setting up and enable recovery, Leftovers is the preferred item on Aegislash, and it combos well with the extra turns gained by using King's Shield. Aegislash wants an Attack boosting nature, but both Adamant and Brave are viable options. Adamant outspeeds a few more things, but the majority of enemies will still be faster than you. Given that Aegislash stays in Shield Form until it attacks, it's often advantageous for Aegislash to be slower than its foe when it is using Sacred Sword, so that it can take that turn's attack while still in Shield Form. This cuts in favor of a Brave nature with zero Speed IVs, which also has corner-case utility against opposing Trick Room teams. Aegislash must be careful against opponents with status moves, since King's Shield does not block them, but while it hates being burned, Aegislash is immune to Toxic and only really minds being paralyzed when it loses a turn to full paralysis. Aegislash's biggest flaw as a Physical wall is its vulnerability to the extremely common Earthquake. Since the move does not make contact, King's Shield does not cripple Earthquake users, and even in Shield Form, Earthquake badly dents Aegislash. Accordingly, Aegislash really wants to be paired with a Flying or Levitating teammate. Dragonite, in particular, combos very well.

Dragonite: Dragonite remains a great choice even after the introduction of the Fairy type. The smiling Dragon hits like a truck, particularly after a Dragon Dance or two, and it is extremely difficult to OHKO thanks to Multiscale. After just one Dance, Dragonite outspeeds and OHKOes a lot of the Maison, and after a second, very few things can survive it, absent a Focus Sash or Sturdy. Movewise, Outrage is your preferred STAB due to its incredible power, and Dragon Dance is a must for letting you outspeed and sweep through foes. Typical offensive sets round out their coverage with Earthquake and Fire Punch, but Extreme Speed can be used to dent priority using or speedy foes, Dragon Claw gives you a solid STAB without locking you into a move, and Roost gives you the chance to abuse Multiscale several times while playing a bulkier role. Adamant with max Attack and Speed is the default for pure offensive Dragonite, but particularly for Roost sets, more HP works well too. Lum Berry is probably the best choice of item, as it both protects against the confusion from Outrage and allows you to Dragon Dance safely even in the face of a status move from the opponent. The addition of the Fairy type means that last generation's cripple-team staple of Dragon Claw / Dragon Dance / Substitute / Roost is no longer viable, but there are few enough Fairies in the Maison that Outrage is still fine when used in a normal attacking set. Dragonite's biggest weakness is its low base Speed. Because most other Maison Dragons can initially outspeed it, an unboosted Dragonite can take a lot of damage from an opposing Dragon, and crits can sometimes OHKO it even through Multiscale. Lots of Ice-type move users can outspeed you too. A Steel-type teammate can cover all of Dragonite's weaknesses, making one a recommended ally.

Suicune: My vote for best self-supporting Pokemon in the Maison. Even without any team support, Suicune can switch into and defeat a huge number of Maison Pokemon. Besides being able to counter many opponents, Suicune is often able to set up to the point that subsequent foes become pushovers as well, a big advantage compared to other bulky Water-types like Milotic. Water is an amazing defensive type, and coupled with Suicune's big defenses, Suicune can be very tough to take down. Scald, Calm Mind, and Rest are Suicune's staple moves, as they let you set up and then sweep in the face of many attacks. While I like Substitute as the fourth move, thanks to the protection it provides against crits and status and the "extra life" it gives against subsequent opponents, Icy Wind is a great alternative. The current top two singles streaks both use Icy Wind, which can help out by slowing speedy foes and giving good coverage against Dragon-types. Since Calm Mind boosts your Special stats, almost all Suicune run a Bold nature with near max HP and Defense to maximize their ability to tank Physical attacks, and a few EVs in Speed to avoid awkward speed ties. Leftovers and Chesto Berry are both good item choices. Leftovers helps over the course of long setups, and counteracts weather damage, while Chesto Berry is useful when trying to stall out Pokemon with one particularly threatening attack where two close succession Rests may be needed early in the setting up process. Note that Pressure, a normally unexciting ability, is pure gold on Suicune. Many Pokemon have only one move that can break Suicune's Substitute, particularly after a Calm Mind or two, and Pressure lets you stall out that move, and then easily set up to +6 / +6. Additionally, while there are more Pokemon immune to Water-type moves this generation, because your foes may now have their hidden abilities, this is not a big problem because Suicune, aided by Pressure, is able to beat most of these Pokemon by stalling them out.

Garchomp: With its typing, bulk, and power, Garchomp remains a strong candidate for Maison teams. With a Jolly nature and max Speed and Attack, it can outspeed many foes, and KO them with its powerful attacks. Garchomp's Ground and Dragon-type STABs cover a huge fraction of the Maison Pokemon, and corner case moves like Fire Fang and Rock Slide can handle the few that they don't. With Swords Dance and Life Orb or Lum Berry, Garchomp makes a great setup sweeper, as very few things can survive Garchomp's attacks at +2. Alternatively, with just a Choice Band, Garchomp's Outrange and Earthquake can OHKO a bunch of things. Only weak to Ice, Dragon, and Fairy-type moves, and blessed with substantial bulk, even when Garchomp isn't able to OHKO the opponent, most opponents won't be able to OHKO it either. Garchomp also plays very well with bulky Water-types. It is immune to the Electric-type attacks that they draw, while they resist the Ice-type attacks that destroy it. Like any Dragon, Garchomp fears faster Dragon-type attacks, so you may also want a Steel-type to help protect against opposing Latios and Latias or Choice Scarf Garchomp. Note that with the addition of the Fairy type this generation, Garchomp is a little less powerful, and choice items are more of a liability, but Garchomp, even choiced, is still a potent option. Although Garchomp has the option to run a Mega Evolution, it's probably not the best idea. Garchomp really takes advantage of its unusual 102 base Speed, and Mega Chomp, being slower, is sadly outsped by many things that normal Chomp isn't. Save your Mega slot for something else. As for your choice of ability, be sure to run Rough Skin, as the damage-upon-contact proves relevant far more often than does the unreliable Sand Veil.

Greninja: With its incredible Speed, Greninja is faster than most of the Maison, and has sufficient type-coverage and attack power to get a lot of OHKOs, particularly with a boosting item. Greninja's biggest advantage over similar Pokemon like Starmie is the added punch from Protean, which essentially gives all of its attacks STAB, sometimes also turning the opponent's super effective counterattack into something not very effective. Although Grenjinja is capable of running a mixed or physical set, a special set is probably best, as it avoids awkward EV splitting and takes advantage of Greninja's higher Special Attack. Surf, Grass Knot, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, and Extrasensory are your best move options, so choose according to the type of coverage your team needs. You'll want Timid as your ability since you'll be slower than a number of threats if Modest, but you can shave a few speed EVs for added HP if you want and still be able to outspeed the important stuff. Choice Specs lets you hit the hardest, while Life Orb lets you switch attacks and take optimal advantage of Protean. Focus Sash is also a reasonable choice. Greninja's weakness is that it can't boost and is really frail, so it is vulnerable to bulky Pokemon that can take a hit or Scarfed ones that can outspeed it. Since it depends heavily on its speed, paralysis wrecks it too.

Scizor: Excellent typing gives Scizor only one weakness and a lot of key resistances, and with Technician, its STAB moves Bug Bite and Bullet Punch pack a whollop. Better yet, Scizor gained a very potent Mega Evolution. Scizor can play a boosting tank type role with Roost and Swords Dance, or can replace Roost with Superpower for better coverage. It can switch into a lot of scary moves thanks to its typing, and especially after a Swords Dance, can take big advantage of priority Bullet Punch to KO a number of Pokemon before they can act. If you are using a Dragon, you'll likely want a Steel-type to cover its weaknesses, and Scizor is one of the best options available. Just make sure your team is not otherwise weak to Fire-type moves, since that 4x weakness hurts, and remember that Scizor no longer resists Ghost and Dark-type attacks. A typical set will run an Adamant nature with Max HP and Attack and 4 EV in Speed. Itemwise, the best choice is Scizorite, since Mega Scizor is faster, bulkier, and harder hitting than its regular cousin, but if you are already committed to another Mega Evolution on your team, Leftovers works well on the Roost variant while Life Orb is probably best on the Superpower one. Lum Berry is also reasonable, as Scizor hates being burned.

Durant: Durant takes advantage of the AI's unwillingness to switch out and thereby lets an allied Pokemon fully set up and attempt to sweep. With its hidden ability of Truant, Durant first uses Entrainment to pass Truant to the opponent. Durant then switches out while the opponent loafs around, and your new Pokemon is able to set up by alternating Protect on the turns your opponent acts and a boosting move on the turns your opponent loafs around. While Durant is already quite fast unaided, because of the importance of successfully firing off an Entrainment, you should run a Jolly Nature with a Choice Scarf and max (or near max) Speed. Protect should fill one moveslot to be your first turn move when the opponent naturally has the Truant ability (or Traces it), and the final two moves should be attacks like Iron Head and X-Scissor for the occasional circumstances where Durant may have to switch back in and finish something off. Durant is vulnerable to Pokemon that can interfere with a first turn Entrainment through moves like Protect and Fake Out or Prankster status moves, and also by moves or items that cause the victim to switch out or faint before there is time to set up, such as Volt Switch, Toxic Orb, Hi Jump Kick, and Explosion. U-turn is not normally an issue because Durant resists it and so the AI rarely will use it on the first turn, after which it won't matter since Protect will stop it from working on your setup Pokemon. Also note that Pokemon with Roar and Whirlwind can force out your sweeper even when it uses Protect. While the correct strategy against these sorts of complications depends heavily on the specific Pokemon you are facing, you will definitely want to review the Maison Pokemon list carefully to be sure your team has a plan for handling Pokemon which resist this Entrainment then set up strategy. One option is to use a second support Pokemon to help cripple, while another is to use sweepers that can cover each others' weakness and set up reasonably well unaided. Popular sweepers to partner with Durant include Mega Gyarados, Cloyster, Garchomp, and Dragonite, all of whom carry Protect, a setup move, and at least one attack. Remember that if you carry just a single attack on your sweeper, you need to be sure that nothing in the Maison is immune to it. Protect / Dragon Dance / Substitute / Dragon Claw Dragonite, perhaps the best choice for a Durant partner last generation, is no longer advisable because Fairy-types are immune to Dragon Claw.

Cloyster: After a single Shell Smash, Cloyster becomes a blazing fast and hard hitting beast. With Skill Link as its ability, Icicle Spear and Rock Blast both always hit five times, doing a ton of damage and breaking through both Focus Sashes and the Sturdy ability. Surf or Razor Shell provides additional coverage. Since Shell Smash lowers Cloyster's defenses, a typical tactic is to equip it with a Focus Sash and either lead with it or switch it in after a KO to ensure it can survive the Shell Smash turn. Cloyster dislikes opposing priority moves and status ailments, particularly paralysis, so it pairs well with Garchomp or other Ground-type Pokemon, which can switch in on a predicted Thunder Wave. Because Icicle Spear at +6 OHKOs most of the Maison, Cloyster is an excellent partner for Durant, though in that case you'll obviously want to run Protect instead of a Water-type move. For best sweeping potential, run an Attack boosting nature and max Attack and Speed EVs, with the choice between Adamant and Naughty determined by whether or not you run Surf. Remember that both Rock Blast and Razor Shell have imperfect accuracy, so avoid using them when Icicle Spear will also get the KO, a particularly common situation when you pair Cloyster with Durant and are able to fully set up.

Ferrothorn: Very bulky on both the physical and special sides, and its Grass typing removes the Ground weakness that most Steel-types hate. Because of its slow Speed, Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball can be extremely powerful, and Curse plays beautifully with it, not only boosting Ferrothorn's Attack and Defense, but also increasing Gyro Ball's power by dropping Speed. Ferrothorn can play a defensive stall role with Leech Seed and Substitute, or can broaden its attacking options with Power Whip, though the move has iffy accuracy. Ferrothorn's biggest disadvantages are that it lacks a reliable recovery move and its slow speed sometimes limits what it can set up on. The 4x weakness to Fire-type moves hurts too. Still, Ferrothorn stops a number of big threats cold, and makes a good choice of Steel-type. Since Ferrothorn can boost its Attack and Defense but not its Special Defense, you typically want a Special Defense boosting nature, while Gyro Ball means you want as low a Speed as possible. Accordingly, Sassy with 0 Speed IVs is your preferred nature, with maxed HP and Special Defense to maximize your special bulk. Itemwise, Leftovers is probably best, as it combines well with Leech Seed recovery, and Ferrothorn needs all the recovery it can get when trying to set up.

Gengar: Gengar has a wonderful Special Attack stat and great Speed, enabling it to outspeed threats like Infernape and the Musketeers. Its three immunities are really helpful too, and a small number of Pokemon in the Maison are unable to hurt Gengar at all. Unfortunately, it lacks a good boosting move and with the limited power and coverage of its STAB moves, a Life Orb or Choice Specs set won't grab as many OHKOs as you might want. Accordingly, Gengar works best as a lead with a Focus Sash, three damaging attacks, and Destiny Bond. Shadow Ball, Destiny Bond, and Thunderbolt are used in pretty much all sets of this sort. Last generation, the fourth slot was often filled with the horribly inaccurate Focus Blast for the coverage it provided against Steel-types, but in X and Y, since Shadow Ball now deals neutral damage to Steel-types, Gengar is free to use his Poison-type STAB and run Sludge Bomb, which hits the new Fairy-type super effectively. Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball are also options if you want to dominate against Dragon-types or Water / Ground types. Against many foes, you can outspeed and 2HKO the lead, survive the first-turn counterattack thanks to your Sash, and then outspeed and KO the second opponent with Destiny Bond. This leaves you with a 2-1 advantage, typically a happy place to be in a battle. Even where you can't beat the opponent's lead, you can almost always at least trade with it thanks to Destiny Bond, meaning Gengar always helps a little. Since Gengar usually dies, however, you need to be really sure your remaining two Pokemon can cover as broad a range of threats as possible, since if the opponent's last Pokemon can beat both of Gengar's partners, you will be in trouble. Naturally, with Speed being so important to this strategy, Gengar should be Timid, with maxed Speed and Special Attack. Gengar also received an extremely powerful Mega Evolution, which can gain you more KOs with its substantially increased Speed and Special Attack, but be wary. You won't be able to run Focus Sash anymore, so a high powered attack or unexpected crit may ruin your strategy, while the loss of Levitate makes you vulnerable to Earthquake. Shadow Tag is amazing against a live opponent, but is near useless against the AI. You could also try to take better advantage of Mega Gengar's stats by just running four attacks, but the lack of a boosting move and the inability to use a boosting item like Life Orb means that you still may not get as many KOs as you'd hope.

Togekiss: A very versatile Pokemon, Togekiss makes an excellent lead. Thanks to Sarene Grace, it has a 60% chance to flinch with STAB Air Slash, giving it a chance of turning even unfavorable matchups favorable, or converting a 2HKO into a virtual OHKO, with the opponent not getting a chance to act. It can also be a powerful supporter for its teammates, putting foes to sleep with Yawn, Tricking over a Choice Scarf (an item which also happens to play very well with the flinch chance on Air Slash), or setting up a Safeguard. Togekiss also has very nice Special Attack, which it can boost with Nasty Plot, and access to reliable recovery, in the form of Roost. 80 base Speed is a bit slow for the setup sweeper role, but the option is available. In the attacking moves department, after Air Slash, STAB Dazzling Gleam and Aura Sphere are probably your best bets, but you have a ton of potential coverage options depending on your team's needs, including Psychic, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, and Grass Knot. The current top Togekiss streak uses a Bold hybrid support/tank set with maxed HP and Special Attack, but you should be able to find success with many other spreads too. For your item, Trick sets naturally want Choce Scarf, while Lum Berry, Leftovers, and Life Orb all are possibilities for other builds depending on the role you want Togekiss to play.

Azumarill: Another Pokemon that's benefited from gaining the Fairy-type this generation, Azumarill takes advantage of its ability, Huge Power, to hit opponents ridiculously hard. Water / Fairy is a strong defensive typing, and Azumarill is pretty bulky to boot, so it is typically able to take a hit or two without difficulty. Azumarill is especially bulky when it uses an Assault Vest, which boosts Special Defense by 50% at the cost of not being able to use non-attacking moves. Thankfully, Azumarill is still able to boost despite this limitation thanks to the beauty of Power-Up Punch, which conveniently also breaks Sashes and Sturdy. Waterfall and Play Rough provide powerful STAB coverage, and the downsides of Azumarill's low Speed are at least partially mitigated by using Aqua Jet, which provides an unusually strong priority hit. While Azumarill can run the the feared Belly Drum + Aqua Jet combination this generation, it's probably too high variance of a strategy for a typical Maison team. Lots of things can beat you when you drop 50% of your HP, even when you are at +6 Attack with a STAB priority move. Because of its low base Speed and access to a priority attack, Azumarill shouldn't bother boosting its Speed, and should instead focus on power and bulk by running an Adamant Nature (every point of attack is extra valuable thanks to the doubling by Huge Power) with maxed Attack and HP. While hardly a traditional "Bulky Water", Azumarill can fill a similar role on most teams, covering important weaknesses while trading some durability and recovery for much better sweeping ability. A weakness of Azumarill is the imperfect accuracy on Play Rough. Over a long streak, you can and will suffer misses at inopportune times, so it can be worrisome to rely on such a move. One option for controlling this is to run Wide Lens, which boosts Play Rough's accuracy to a much safer 99%, but losing Assault Vest really hurts your Special bulk.

Gyarados: With good defensive typing (save for the 4x weakness to Electric-type attacks), the ability to set up with Dragon Dance, and Intimidate to ease the setting up process, Gyarados can be a potent sweeper. Unfortunately Waterfall is a low base power physical STAB and Gyarados lacks a fully reliable Flying STAB (Bounce does not count!), so it is normally a bit outclassed by other Dragon Dancing options like Dragonite. Still, even with these disadvantages, Gyarados can be a valuable teammate, particularly when paired with a strong Ground-type that can cover its 4x weakness. More importantly, Gyarados received a very helpful Mega Evolution, which makes it one of the best available sweepers to set up against a crippled opponent, so it plays well on a Durant team. Mega Gyarados gains a lot of power and bulk, but perhaps its biggest blessing is its new ability of Mold Breaker. With Mold Breaker, abilities like Sturdy, Multiscale, and Levitate no longer hinder your sweeping moves, and better yet, you still get to take advantage of Intimidate as you switch in before you Mega Evolve. Fully set up, there is not a lot that can survive Gyarados' Mold Breaker-backed attacks. Losing your Flying typing costs you the immunity to Ground-type attacks, and Dark typing is not the best replacement, but it at least rids you of the 4x weakness to Electric-type moves and gives you a handy Psychic-type immunity. Waterfall and Dragon Dance appear on almost all Gyarados sets. When coupled with Durant, Protect (obviously) and Earthquake are your best options, while on a more generic sweeper, Earthquake, Return, Bounce and Ice Fang all have their advantages. Naturally, using Mega Gyarados requires a held Gyaradosite, but normal Gyarados can use Leftovers (which plays particularly well with Bounce), Lum Berry, or Life Orb. Gyarados typically runs an Adamant nature with maximum Attack EVs and substantial investment in Speed, but putting some EVs into HP to increase its bulk can be very helpful when setting up.

Starmie: One of the most dangerous Maison foes, Starmie can do well as a teammate too. 115 base Speed means that Starmie outspeeds most Maison opponents and its wonderful mix of coverage moves hit weaknesses hard, often for OHKOs, particularly when Starmie is equipped with a Life Orb or Choice Specs. Starmie can be a nice cleaner as well, finishing off Pokemon that its teammates have weakened. Unfortunately, Starmie is a lot less exciting this generation because Greninja just does these jobs better. Greninja has better natural Speed (and slightly better Special Attack), but more importantly, Protean gives Greninja STAB on all of its moves, which is huge for turning 2HKOs into OHKOs. Starmie still has some edges, notably its ability to recover from status moves with Natural Cure, and its somewhat better bulk, which means that it is able to survive many attacks at full health, short of STAB super effective moves or crits. Starmie can also run Recover, but honestly, it's not quite bulky enough to take full advantage, particularly since it lacks a boosting move like Calm Mind to pair with it. Even though Greninja now has the edge, Starmie remains usable, and can help you put together a solid streak. Most Starmie run Surf, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt. Pyschic, Psyshock and Hidden Power Fire are probably your best options for the fourth move, but Grass Knot, Dazzling Gleam, and even Flash Cannon are potential choices if you need their specific coverage. Starmie can also semi-cripple with Thunder Wave, but I believe it's best to focus on attack coverage more than support here. Starmie depends on its Speed and needs to optimize its middling power, so Timid with max Speed and Special Attack is your ideal spread. Choice Specs, Life Orb, Expert Belt, and Focus Sash all have merit as possible held items.

Latios: Not quite as fast as Starmie, but blessed with a much better Special Attack, Latios hits fast and hard. Latios also can set up a bit with Calm Mind, helping it muscle through opposing teams, and can even run a bulky setup style with both Calm Mind and Recover. You'll almost certainly want to run Dragon Pulse, but after that, you've got a lot of move flexibility, with a STAB Psychic or Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam, and even Hidden Power Fire all being reasonable attack possibilities. You also have the option to use Latios as a hybrid attack/cripple lead, giving it three attacks, Life Orb, and Memento. Attack away until you get low, then Memento to make it easier for your next Pokemon to set up. Psychic typing gives Latios a lot more weaknesses than the typical Dragon, but it has a nice resistance spread too, and is one of the few Dragons to lack the ugly 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks, which means it can survive medium strength Ice-type attacks where many of its brethren would crumble. Latios' biggest shortcoming compared to other Dragon-types is the lack of a special attacking version of Outrage. Dragon Pulse is a fine move, but the thirty points of power it lacks compared to Outrage often makes the difference between a OHKO and a 2HKO. Latios can get a lot of opponents low with one move, but can't blast through teams as well as an Outraging Garchomp or Dragonite. Draco Meteor looks nice, but the 90% accuracy can bite you at the worst possible time, and the substantial Special Attack drop means you can't use it to sweep entire teams. Attacking sets are probably best served by running a Life Orb, a Timid Nature, and max Speed and Special Attack, but Modest Choice Scarf Latios makes a mean revenge killer. When running both Calm Mind and Recover, it's probably best to keep the high Speed, Latios' chief advantage over other Calm Mind users, but the EVs normally directed to Special Attack may prove more valuable if moved to HP. Last generation, Jumpman16 built a team that took advantage of the way Latios' and Terrakion's weaknesses and resistances perfectly complemented each other, and though the Fairy type has complicated things this generation, it's still a pairing to consider.

Haxorus: While it has lower overall stats than Garchomp or Dragonite, Haxorus earns his keep in the Maison on the basis of sheer power. With its massive 147 Attack Stat its attacks leave a mark, and thanks to Mold Breaker, it can bypass annoying abilities like Sturdy, Multiscale, and Levitate. Dragon Dance is highly recommended since it improves Haxorus's middling Speed and boosts its already-awesome power, while Outrage deserves a slot based upon raw STAB power alone. Earthquake covers the Steel-types that resist Outrage, and thanks to Mold Breaker can even hit Levitators like Bronzong. Because of of the combination of Outrage's high base power and STAB, most additional coverage moves are not worth it, since a not very effective Outrage deals damage similar to neutral coverage attacks like X-Scissor and Rock Slide (the ratio is the same for neutral Outrage versus super effective coverage moves too), though such moves may have value when hitting 4x weaknesses. Substitute can be useful for giving Haxorus protection from status and a virtual "extra life", while Swords Dance boosts Attack very quickly. Haxorus's unusual 97 base Speed means it can be outsped unboosted by many other Dragons, making them dangerous thanks to their ability to hit you with a super effective Dragon-type attack, but after a single Dragon Dance, Haxorus is very hard to stop. The most successful Haxorus set in Super Singles to date used a bulky, Adamant, 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe spread calculated to just outspeed Choice Band Tyrantrum unboosted and base 130 Speed Pokemon with a Speed+ nature after one Dragon Dance, so is the best spread to start with. Lum Berry helps ensure you can get that one key Dragon Dance in without getting statused, but Life Orb is always an option if you are just after attack power. While Haxorus is frailer than many of its Dragon-type cousins, this is often unimportant, as Haxorus emphasizes the idea that the best defense is a good offense. Being mono-type, it doesn't have a second STAB, but this means it avoids the 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks that plagues many other Dragons.

Milotic: If you lack a Suicune (or don't have one with good stats and nature), Milotic is a reasonable replacement. Good bulk (particularly with Marvel Scale), reasonable Speed, and the flexibility to attack decently well make Milotic a fine choice for a bulky Water-type Pokemon in the Maison. Recover provides reliable recovery, Scald and Ice Beam give solid damage (and the chance of a super helpful burn or freeze), and Toxic lets you beat other bulky Water-types (or bulky Pokemon generally). You can even add Protect to the Toxic + Recover combo to crank up the Toxic stalling. Although Rest plays well with Marvel Scale, it is less appealing without a boosting move to go with it, and relying on Rest instead of Recover makes Milotic function even more like a weaker Suicune. Sadly, Toxic stalling Milotic looses badly to bulky boosting enemies with Rest. Moreover, Milotic is vulnerable to untimely crits (since it doesn't normally have room to run Substitute) and unlike Suicune, can't set up on things it dominates to make sweeping subsequent Pokemon easier. Despite these weaknesses, Milotic had some success last generation, and there's no reason it can't enjoy similar success now. A Bold nature with lots of Defense EVs is probably your best plan, since Milotic is a bit lacking in Defense, but you can move a few EVs to Speed and/or Special Attack if you want to give it a little more pop. Toxic stalling is also much easier when you can outspeed your opponent. Leftovers is the classic item for bulky Pokemon like Milotic, but since Milotic hates being hit by Toxic, Lum Berry makes sense too.

Darmanitan: Sheer Force + Flare Blitz gives Darmanitan ridiculous power. Throw on a Choice Scarf and you'll outspend most of the Maison, letting you dish out the KOs without taking a hit in return. Moves like Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Superpower provide solid coverage, and U-Turn lets you do a little damage while switching out of unfavorable matchups. Still, spamming Flare Blitz is your biggest strength, and that alone will get you a number of wins. Your biggest weakness is that Fire doesn't have the greatest coverage and is a bad defensive type, but for pure attacking power, very little matches Darmanitan. Since you want to maximize your OHKOs and really don't want anything to outspeed you, given your uninspiring defenses and the recoil from Flare Blitz, an Adamant nature with max Attack and Speed EVs is heavily recommended. Though Choice Scarf is definitely your preferred item, Choice Band gives you obscene attacking power, at the severe cost of allowing many threats to outspeed you. And if you really want to live the dream, imagine how hard Darmanitan will hit if you can set up sunny weather for it…

Charizard: I write specifically about Mega Charizard Y, and this is a more speculative inclusion. While it has yet to post a big streak this generation and didn't exist in previous ones, a badly IVed Mega Charizard Y carried me to my first 50 win streak in days before I started trying to breed decent Pokemon for the Maison. Accordingly, I feel that it's gotta have some potential. Hope springs eternal, even if auto-weather no longer does! 150 Special Attack is already huge, and add in the boost from the sun, and you've got a powerful, powerful Flamethrower. Auto-sunlight also lets you take advantage of Solar Beam, which covers your Water-type weakness, and moves like Earth Power, Dragon Pulse, and Hidden Power Ice can round out your coverage against things that resist Flamethrower. 100 Speed is not amazing, but it still outspeeds a lot of things, and Timid max Speed, max Special Attack optimizes your sweeping potential. Charizard also can use its weather-bringing ability to aid its teammates, and I'd love to see a Mega Charizard Y - Darmanitan pairing prove viable. Sadly, the shared weaknesses and short duration of the sunlight may prove impossible to overcome, but you certainly won't be lacking for attacking power. With a Darmanitan waiting in the wings, switching to a Modest nature may be better, since you won't mind as much when Charizard faints, as that will give you a free switch in for Darmanitan and its sun-boosted Flare Blitz, so you might as well maximize Charizard's power while it is still alive. The 4x weakness to Rock-type moves is brutal, and Water-types are everywhere in the Maison, so however you chose to partner Charizard, you very likely want a Rock and Water resist to go with it.

--

The above list is not intended to be comprehensive, just a useful starting place, and I'm sure that many other Pokemon are quite viable. Powerful sweepers like Terrakion and Volcarona seem appealing, and last generation's crippler staples like Latias and Whimsicott may still have roles to play. One of the best parts the Maison leaderboard is seeing someone put together a big streak with unexpected Pokemon. Last generation, Chinese Dood put together a 349 win streak based around crippler Stoutland, hardly anyone's idea of a Subway staple before then! So be creative, and don't feel unreasonably restricted by the above list.

Reading about the Maison is fine and dandy, but teambuilding and playing are much more satisfying, so it's time to wrap this up. In summation and closing, once you've built a team, remember the following, and you'll do well:

1. Pay attention. Zoning out and missing the trainer name or not noticing something like Trick Room or Tailwind can be fatal.
2. Know your foes. Not just their moves and stats, but held items and potential abilities too.
3. Play conservatively. Take advantage of safe setup opportunities, even at the cost of time, but don't try to get too cute.

Finally, have fun! That's why we're all here, after all. Best of luck as you try to build a big streak!
Pardon my ignorance, but what of Talonflame as an option? It's no lead (by any stretch) but is probably one of the best cleaners around with priority Brave Bird. Sure it's easily walled but that's why it's best as a cleaner, IMO.

Pardon my ignorance, but what of Talonflame as an option? It's no lead (by any stretch) but is probably one of the best cleaners around with priority Brave Bird. Sure it's easily walled but that's why it's best as a cleaner, IMO.
The problem with that is that, because it's so easily walled, you have to switch it out all the time. Cleaners don't work as well in the Maison as they do in competitive battles, because only one of your opponent's mons will be weakened when you get Talonflame in (unless you run a weird phazing team). When your opponent switches in something that survives Brave Bird (which is a lot), you have to switch in something else. Talonflame is weak to so many types, many of which you don't want to switch in against. Luring in Electric-type moves is terrible unless you run a Ground-type like Garchomp, but that leaves you super weak to bulky Water types (Suicune in particular). Plus, no one besides Aegislash really feels comfortable coming in on Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash, but you leave yourself open to that every time you bring Talonflame in (notice how pretty much every Pokemon anyone uses in the top 15 can either survive CB Tyrantrum Head Smash and/or outspeed and OHKO Tyrantrum right off the bat except for my own Togekiss, who was designed with the expectation it would faint in many battles).

Talonflame also isn't too great at switching into much; it comes in on Fighting, Bug, and Grass-types, and that's about it. Sure, it can switch in on Fire, Ground, and Steel-type moves, but it usually doesn't want to try to take on those Pokemon because it lacks the power to take them out (except for Fire/Fighting types and relatively frail Steel types). When your Pokemon has base 126 speed, priority doesn't do much for you; many of the big threats that outspeed you (Jolteon, Aerodactyl, Electrode, Scarf Manectric) survive Brave Bird anyway. I'd love to see someone make Talonflame effective in Singles, but I don't see it happening.

NoCheese

turskain: Good points. I can mention the value of back and forth switch-stalling to handle certain threats, and I completely agree that Mega Charizard Y is far more speculative than any other Pokemon I discussed. Your analysis is strong, so though I have a big soft spot for it, Mega Zard should probably be cut from the list.

VaporeonIce: I agree that providing more guidance on prominent threats that all teams need to prepare for would be helpful, and like your suggestions of what those threats are. I'll try to add a section on that in the next few days, and if you do decide to write that detailed "especially dangerous pokemon" post, I'll happily recommend and link to it in my guide.

Alphanex20: VaporeonIce's above post covers the obstacles that Talonflame faces, but the biggest reason I didn't include it is that it has yet to be part of a big streak in this generation (or last, where it didn't exist yet). I don't intend my list to be comprehensive, but Pokemon I do include have all been battle-tested. Mega Charizard Y is the one exception to this, and given turskain's apt analysis, I believe I'm going to cut it in my next big edit. That said, as I noted in my guide, one of the best parts of the leaderboard is seeing people build a big streak with new and unexpected Pokemon, so I'd be thrilled to see Talonflame find success in Super Singles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)