Almost Any Ability XY (Suspect Over: Weavile banned, Keldeo Stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canno

formerly The Reptile
To keep on topic, Levitate Magnezone seems like it would be really anti-meta, only fearing Dragonite with Fire Punch or Fire Blast. Has anyone used it yet?
I've tried a similar mon - Levitate Heatran. It's pretty neat due to it quad resisting refrigerate attacks, plus it has nice utility moves with Stealth Rock, Roar, and Lava Plume. It also beats Dragonites that don't run Superpower I think, although Fire Punch does a number because its now neutral. Another cool mon is Regenerate Rotom-W/H, although they don't quite check Dragonite too well due to EQ hitting them Super Effectively.

Yeah it's fine. My gripe was just the design wins over utility thing. I didn't want to sound like a jerk, I was just taking a defensive stance that I apparently didn't have to take.
To keep on topic, Levitate Magnezone seems like it would be really anti-meta, only fearing Dragonite with Fire Punch or Fire Blast. Has anyone used it yet?
levitate rhydon best dragonite counter 2014

I have a question regarding Mega Evolution mechanics in this tier. Here it is: Lets say I'm using Gardevoir and I've given it Fairy Aura for it's ability. Once I've Mega'd it, are the effects of Fairy Aura (1.3x boost to fairy type attacks) still in play? If yes, does it stack with Pixilate's 1.3x normal-to-fairy boost?

I have a question regarding Mega Evolution mechanics in this tier. Here it is: Lets say I'm using Gardevoir and I've given it Fairy Aura for it's ability. Once I've Mega'd it, are the effects of Fairy Aura (1.3x boost to fairy type attacks) still in play? If yes, does it stack with Pixilate's 1.3x normal-to-fairy boost?
Once the Fairy/Dark Aura Pokémon is removed from the field, even if just by megaevolving, the effects of Fairy/Dark Aura are no longer in play. You are better off with another ability such as Intimidate.

Once the Fairy/Dark Aura Pokémon is removed from the field, even if just by megaevolving, the effects of Fairy/Dark Aura are no longer in play. You are better off with another ability such as Intimidate.
Aw, that's too bad. Thanks for the info, though.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Just wanted to echo the hype Refrigerate Weavile is getting because it's entirely justified. This thing is a complete monster, to the point Inner Focus should be seriously considered on anything prone to its revenge-killing talents.

It also fits Weavile flavor-wise too! If it got it in the standard metagame it would probably be suspect test-worthy.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
idk I've been spamming CB Dragonite, and I've still found it really easy to handle. I've got Keldeo and Mega Mawile, which both absolutely trounce it, another Steel-type to switch into its Fake Out, and a Healing Wish Pokemon in case things get ugly. It sounds like I'm ridiculously overprepared for it, but this is just an offensive team that honestly does not give a fuck about it. I didn't even build this team with Weavile in mind; I just happened not to have to worry about it, so I can't really see it being all that problematic to build around.

[edit] also can you everyone please make an effort to read the OP before posting? I've deleted like 4 posts where someone was saying "(banned Pokemon) should be really good," as well as posts replying to it saying that it's banned.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Sick of Aerilate Dnite?

I have three ways to counter E Speed spam on my current team. This is one of them:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Confuse Ray

Looking for some Prankster users, I found one of the best supportive Pranksters around in Togekiss. Togekiss has access to the rare combo of Encore and Baton Pass often used in BH, which gives you a nice momentum and coupled with Substitute can give free turns to the frail yet deadly sweepers which populate this meta. You just got to watch out for random Magic Bouncers but the main idea is:

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Encore
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Roost can be used over Wish if you don't care to heal teammates and prefer a more reliable recovery.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I have mentioned this set before but I cannot hype this bird enough.

This thing takes no recoil from dual BP 120 STABS-No Drawbacks, runs life orb for free, and out speeds a fucking huge amount of serious threats....
One shots any Keldeo that isn't scarfed. If you are not prepared to handle this bird, it can easily plow through a whole team after one Dance.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why would you use any physically attacking Flying-type not named Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite?

Really though like I can't think of a single reason not to use Dragonite instead.

Why would you use any physically attacking Flying-type not named Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite?

Really though like I can't think of a single reason not to use Dragonite instead.
Dragonite is better against more offensive teams, but is more outclassed by other Aerilates when it comes to wallbreaking. If your team has trouble with stall other Aerilates are often better. Gyarados, for example, has an excellent secondary STAB it can use to seriously threaten common Aerilate walls such as Regirock and Rhydon. Not to mention waterfall flinches which is seriously annoying for stall in the long run.

That being said Talonflame is a pretty bad choice as a flying type attacker. Without gale wings setting it apart from everything else it's just a fast fire/flying type with horrible offensive stats.

levitate rhydon best dragonite counter 2014
Waterfall says hi.
252+ Atk Life Orb Dragonite Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 218-260 (52.6 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

You make an interesting point, maybe you can get GF to whitle down the 700+roster to just Weavile and Dragonite. Actual variety is overrated, apparently.
Hollywood's point i think was that Aerilate Dragonite outclasses pretty much every physical flying attacker and that running pokemon like talon just for the sake of variety doesn't make sense.
Some calcs -

252+ Atk Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 345-406 (110.9 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 246-290 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 181-214 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 130-153 (29.2 - 34.4%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 169-201 (48 - 57.1%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 121-144 (34.3 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Talon misses out on a lot of OHKO's and 2HKO's and his move pool sucks consisting of exactly two moves FB and BB whereas D-Nite has a solid move pool with EQ,Waterfall,Fire Punch etc to deal with his counters.

So, I've been playing around a bit with a few different teams, and I've found one guy in particular who has done tremendous work for me every single game:

Azelf.
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
- Explosion
This guy DOES WORK, and does it really well. It makes an incredible "lead" and also a great mid-/late-game "last-ditch effort" to take out an otherwise unstoppable 'mon. It has taken quite a few of my opponents by surprise. It can do everything. Magic Coat their hazards/stats back at them, set up rocks for myself (surviving many Aerilate attacks too, thanks to the Rock typing,) U-Turn out if it isn't time to die, and best of all, launch an almighty STAB Explosion on its way out. I am in LOVE with this beast.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.

Auto-losing to Weavile perhaps?
But now the question is: "Any reason for not using Dragonite and Weavile"?
They pretty much define the metagame right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)