Pokémon Azumarill

Status
Not open for further replies.
if people have trouble with azumarill, the best azumarill counter that i have used is eviolite tangela.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 88-104 (26.3 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 78-93 (23.3 - 27.8%) -- 76.4% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 194-230 (48 - 56.9%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

if people have trouble with azumarill, the best azumarill counter that i have used is eviolite tangela.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 88-104 (26.3 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 78-93 (23.3 - 27.8%) -- 76.4% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 194-230 (48 - 56.9%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO
Azumarill commonly carries Knock Off so I dont think this would be a great choice.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Aegislash is also a decent counter to azumarill, as mentioned in the analyses. However, something to point out is that Aegislash NEEDS to be slower than azumarill to do well. The reason for this is because after the defense drop with stance change, azumarill can probably OHKO you. And unless you can OHKO azumarill, this is a problem. Being slower than azumarill means you will take less damage (since you are still in defense form) and then hit back hard.

Azumarill can't really do much against an Aegislash with King's Shield anyway tbh, unless it has Superpower and is willing to play mindgames, it's usually a much better choice to just switch out.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Azumarill can't really do much against an Aegislash with King's Shield anyway tbh, unless it has Superpower and is willing to play mindgames, it's usually a much better choice to just switch out.
Azumarill gets bulldoze, which is not a contact move (kings shield doesn't activate). Choice band bulldoze is going to hurt, no matter what aegislash does.

Azumarill gets bulldoze, which is not a contact move (kings shield doesn't activate). Choice band bulldoze is going to hurt, no matter what aegislash does.
Feel free to run shitty moves on something that's already cramped for moveslots (has to choose between Superpower and Knock Off both of which are far superior to Bulldoze btw) I prefer to run actually good sets.

Depends. AV Azumaril can take a Shadow Ball, and it resist Secret/Sacred Sword (Can't remember which is Aegi's) but as you said, you have to play smart and avoid a King's Shield and if you want to use both Superpower and Knock Off, you're gonna have to sacrifice a powerful STAB in Waterfall or a priority in Aqua Jet .

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Feel free to run shitty moves on something that's already cramped for moveslots (has to choose between Superpower and Knock Off both of which are far superior to Bulldoze btw) I prefer to run actually good sets.
It's not "shitty" if it allows you to beat something that otherwise counter you. Knock off and superpower are not always "superior" options btw. It defends on your team.

It's not "shitty" if it allows you to beat something that otherwise counter you. Knock off and superpower are not always "superior" options btw. It defends on your team.
it's a 60BP move that has a good side effect, but otherwise its poor move. Most things that Bulldoze hits, Knock Off and Superpower hit for superior damage.

The only one instance I can see Bulldoze being better than the usual moves is against Aegislash just in order to avoid Kings Shield, and it hits as hard as a neutral Waterfall does.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 456-536 (118.1 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 452-536 (117 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Bulldoze is simply too weak to be effective. The only times I used Bulldoze was in Triple and Double Battles while having levitators and Flying Pokemon on my side because the speed drop is really helpful.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 112-133 (34.5 - 41%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 112-134 (34.5 - 41.3%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Not worth it, even to avoid King's Shield imo.

It doesn't let you beat anything, it just lets you trigger Aegi's weakness policy for no more damage than waterfall and then die:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 170-200 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 382-450 (94.5 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

If it doesn't KO it just sneaks. Better to just deal with Aegis with another pokemon.

It's shitty, being locked into it makes it even more shitty as ground immunities are super common and without CB it doesn't even come close to 2HKOing Aegislash.
Mitch pls, Bulldoze Azumarill is the future of the meta, Water/Ground coverage is only resisted by Surskit.

I'm not serious, sry. Bulldoze is crap because CB Azumarill needs to run either Superpower for Ferro, Knock Off for coverage, or Facade as burn-insurance.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
It doesn't let you beat anything, it just lets you trigger Aegi's weakness policy for no more damage than waterfall and then die:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 170-200 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 382-450 (94.5 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

If it doesn't KO it just sneaks. Better to just deal with Aegis with another pokemon.
I'm an idiot. Didn't know about the damage boost knock off got this gen.

Last edited:
Knock off activates weakness policy too, and it will activate king's shield if you use it at the wrong time. Bulldoze is not completely inferior to knock off.
Except that Knock Off does much more damage against Aegislash if you can get it off, even potentially OHKOing if Aegis has even a bit of prior damage:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 272-320 (83.9 - 98.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

One way or another though you're still better off just using something else to deal with Aegis than attacking with Azumarill, and Knock Off has MUCH more usefulness outside of hitting Aegis than Bulldoze does.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I was unaware of the damage boost knock off received (just enough so that scizor doesn't benefit from it...). Anyways, perhaps an alternative method for dealing with aegislash would be with ring target. This would of course require proper prediction of course, but would superpower be able to OHKO aegislash if you use it at the right time?

Scizor does benefit from it, a 97.5 bp dark move provides valuable coverage and the technician boost would only apply vs megas or things without items anyway.

What is most common ev spread for choice band Azumarill i know in attack 252 that doesn't change but how much in HP for bulk, and how much in speed currently is used?

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
What is most common ev spread for choice band Azumarill i know in attack 252 that doesn't change but how much in HP for bulk, and how much in speed currently is used?
Idk if this is the "most used", but I like running at least 92 spd Adamant on Azumarill which lets you get the jump on min speed Sylveon, Clefable, Tyranitar - this lets you bulk up your HP with 160...Max speed Adamant sacrifices some bulk to let you outrun 0 speed Scizor, M-Scizor, M-Venusaur, Heatran, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Heracross, and also slower variants of M-Mawile and Azumarill.

In the on-sight preview analysis it lists 28 spd adamant which I think is to outrun Sassy T-Tar, but I like being able to at least outspeed Clef too (and neutral nature 0 spd T-Tar if that exists). Happy Azumarilling :)

Oh, as to Rotom-W, they only have to invest 44 spd to even outrun Jolly Azu, so I don't like dealing with that - if you're really paranoid about trying to catch everything possible, then Max Speed Jolly could catch some slower rotoms....Idk if it's worth losing out on the power and bulk tho?

Idk if this is the "most used", but I like running at least 92 spd Adamant on Azumarill which lets you get the jump on min speed Sylveon, Clefable, Tyranitar - this lets you bulk up your HP with 160...Max speed Adamant sacrifices some bulk to let you outrun 0 speed Scizor, M-Scizor, M-Venusaur, Heatran, Skarmory, Mandibuzz, Heracross, and also slower variants of M-Mawile and Azumarill.

In the on-sight preview analysis it lists 28 spd adamant which I think is to outrun Sassy T-Tar, but I like being able to at least outspeed Clef too (and neutral nature 0 spd T-Tar if that exists). Happy Azumarilling :)

Oh, as to Rotom-W, they only have to invest 44 spd to even outrun Jolly Azu, so I don't like dealing with that - if you're really paranoid about trying to catch everything possible, then Max Speed Jolly could catch some slower rotoms....Idk if it's worth losing out on the power and bulk tho?
Power and bulk are the only things going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)