Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Now that we're on the subject of Shinies:
I've revised Shiny Mega Manectric. The lightest yellow has been taken from Electivire, the darker shade from Shiny Zapdos and the gold outline, as well as the black body, from Shiny Manectric. The red has remained unchanged.
This guy seriously needs an accurate Shiny. Unfortunately, it was really difficult to find a color suitable for the darkest blue, but I hope it doesn't look TOO green. The dark green and a portion of outline more prominent on the backsprite have been taken from Black Kyurem's palette, while all other shades use Shiny Aggron's palette.

I still don't exactly understand what palette-swap Shiny means, but I hope these at least qualify. I try to be as spot-on with my colors as possible.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would say it's easiest to completely redo Furfrou back since we never say the fur pattern and tail at the back when it was made.

Palette swap shiny means all instance of one colour are completely swapped for another. No edits at all.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Forward and backward neck movement seems too "wobbly", should probably fix that by reducing their total amount of motion and keeping the angles the same as if they were one part. Everything else is fine. I still like regular Houndoom's rare animation better because it's more majestic as opposed to aggressive (majestic just seems more fitting with its theme and design), but the one you have right now is still very well done, and you don't have to change it if you think that it's better.

No comments on Pancham by the way, can't see anything wrong with it and it's pretty well made.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All right two things:

Does anyone know Hebrew and can tell me if this site is crediting: http://www.pokeisrael.net/?page=pokedexer&id=699
I don't have any record of them asking me.

Also some improvements:

>

>

I ended up taking out the brightest colour of green because that felt too much like an ADV sprite. Also major credit to MrDollSteak because I used his DS Gen VI Quilladin face as the basis for these improvements

We have a reciprocal free use agreement you see: www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7972072

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All right two things:

Does anyone know Hebrew and can tell me if this site is crediting: http://www.pokeisrael.net/?page=pokedexer&id=699
I don't have any record of them asking me.
You dont need to understand hebrew to translate the site lol. I took a quick look at the sites forum and I see no mention of them giving credit for the sprites. I did find this link in that forum regarding sprites.

http://www.pokeisrael.net/forum/index.php/topic/4644-תיקון-הרבה-פוקימוני-מגה-רגיליםזהב-כולל-אנימצי/

It has no mention of them crediting anyone either so yeah. Looks like they just earned a spot in the wall of shame.

On other news, nice job on that quilladin. The colors look much better now. That right green thorn in the back sprite does look a bit crooked though. I also think that same thorn in the front sprite could use that shading back at the base. I think it might look better with some slight shading if you haven't tried giving it some shading yet. But besides that, its great!

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
So if you haven't heard already Hoenn Confirmed: http://goo.my/g3r

This means a few things for us such as the possibility of new megas/forms. Right now I am not exactly sure we should start on new stuff yet until we get a better idea of what they look like. Furthermore I'm going to auto veto any animations until we are sure of buttflowers and have good back references. In the mean time we should continue with business as usual and clean up everything else. I've been updating the bottom of the to-do list with more things as of late so feel free to capitalize on any of those.

also slight improvements:

on the xy female back the tuft doesn't show so I guess consistency???

These are being put ready for animation.

also did some slight touch ups on this:

I'll probably need some opinions on shading here before going forward.

Last edited:
HOENN CONFIRMED! Assuming at least a few Pokemon get new forms/megas in the new game (may be announced later in the next months) will we tie them in? Also unless the Groudon and Kyogre on the boxarts are simply forms like Xerneas's two modes, they'll be alternate forms. I don't think mega evolutions though.

HOENN CONFIRMED! Assuming at least a few Pokemon get new forms/megas in the new game (may be announced later in the next months) will we tie them in? Also unless the Groudon and Kyogre on the boxarts are simply forms like Xerneas's two modes, they'll be alternate forms. I don't think mega evolutions though.
Little late to announce it, given Layell literally did the same in the post above yours.

That being said, I for one am looking forwards to the new formes or megas for spriting.

So a few days ago I got bored with working on the tedious QC job that was Tyrantrum's back, so I put it down for awhile to do something else. That something else happened to be much more tedious.

Zygarde
Old----------New-----------------------Old-----------

Serious overhaul done on this one, and now it should be a lot closer to being OK'd for animation. Some of the major edits include:

-Fixed its face. This consists of proportions fixes, general cleanup of the eyes, and giving it detail work where necessary.
-Top hex of left eye is now white, as it is always glowing white regardless of frame according to the in-game model
-Left other hexes that change color green because I'm unsure what the glow starts at, although it is important to note that Zygarde's scales glow in a very distinct pattern for whoever decides to animate him.
-Old Zygarde's tail was just told his dog died. New Zygarde's tail just heard that RSE were getting sequels. In essence, I flipped the tail up because it looked weird pointed down and this shows the tail strips better.
-Made those scales look more like they should.
-Corners are now sharper
-Shading added to the back
-Added some sweet new curves to the back using shading and outline manipulation.
-Back only uses 8 colors. Not a change, just thought it was worth noting that Mr. Simple here was released as a Legendary alongside Xerneas. GameFreak can be assholes sometimes.

I also got a comment yesterday from pom that the back's tail had a perspective issue still, so I'll probably tackle that tomorrow since I'm short on time today.

So yeah, as always, comments and critiques are welcome as always. +)

EDIT: LAYELL IS TOO LAZY TO POST

Last edited by a moderator:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Excelent work like always axl! I think the new sprite is a huge improvement overall. I especially like the new tail. It finally has some depth to it. Same with the colors and shading. Might have to fix the black on the tail for the front sprite though. Having the head closer to the body does make his head look smaller (unless the head really is smaller. I cant tell >.<) but it still looks good regardless. I guess it wouldn't hurt to see how it would look if you made the head a pixel or 2 wider though.

and Layell I think that mega heracross could use a softer light shading. The difference between the shades seems a bit too much. I probably should also say that the horn might need some slight refining since it has that pointed curve on the top side.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
After much slacking off time working on projects and other time consuming stuff, Im finally done with school for the semister and got the chance to finish up mega banettes front animation. It was something I should have done a long time ago but better late than never. I worked on it in a moving truck so sorry if its alittle off. >.< Thought I should post it now and fix it later.

banette-front.gif

The (his) left fingers are somewhat of a WIP and I could tell theres a couple spots I need to clean up but I think the majority of this animation is all set. Let me know what you think though

After much slacking off time working on projects and other time consuming stuff, Im finally done with school for the semister and got the chance to finish up mega banettes front animation. It was something I should have done a long time ago but better late than never. I worked on it in a moving truck so sorry if its alittle off. >.< Thought I should post it now and fix it later.

View attachment 13441
The (his) left fingers are somewhat of a WIP and I could tell theres a couple spots I need to clean up but I think the majority of this animation is all set. Let me know what you think though
I think that your mega bannete needs more movement and the movements would be more smooth.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
The thing with adding more movement is that its hands and dress are so big that it kinda limits how much I can move them without making it look like they are too high up. I think I could make it a couple pixels higher though. What I can say though that it probably looks that way because it lacks a rare animation. I'll get on that soon.

The thing with adding more movement is that its hands and dress are so big that it kinda limits how much I can move them without making it look like they are too high up. I think I could make it a couple pixels higher though. What I can say though that it probably looks that way because it lacks a rare animation. I'll get on that soon.

Just thought I'd toss this out there, but if you could get its fingers to undulate like they do in the 3D model, I think you'd be just about set. Aside from that, it seems its moving a bit slow currently, although maybe that's just me.

So princessofmusic and I met up last evening for the third time, and she now is borrowing from me Y and a 3DS.

Fair warning all, she has direct access to all the models now, sorry. Expect some more work from all of us relatively soon.
Oh shuddap, I'm just trying to have fun. I named my Squirtle after you!

I'll offer some critique so that this post has some relevance.

Typhlito I happen to agree with both seleccion's and aXl's critique. His movements are somewhat jerky, and the fingers look particularly awkward to boot. I think that you should take your time and introduce some flow.

Legitimate Username Can we get some more information on this Aegislash animation? I laughed out loud actually when I first saw your post, as I imagined you leaving some updates silently and riding off all badass into the sunset. Anyway, is this complete or a WIP? I'm assuming the former, and his arms distort quite a lot as he bobs up and down. The lines get really jagged, and I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this.

Apologies everyone for the lack of updates. Layell, aXl, and Wobblebuns all have proof that I've been working intensely, and while I haven't given progress updates itt, I'm planning a large update in the foreseeable future.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Ok so I think I fixed up the issues you all mentioned like making the fingers look better and adding more movement. I added a rare animation but then I decided to leave it combined with the regular animation. The finger wiggle is the rare animation for this guy btw. Was going to make it wiggle more but it seem a bit much imo. I could add it in if you want though. I did work on him in a moving truck again but hopefully I didnt miss anything this time.

banette-front.gif

Let me know what you think this time!

Ok so I think I fixed up the issues you all mentioned like making the fingers look better and adding more movement. I added a rare animation but then I decided to leave it combined with the regular animation. The finger wiggle is the rare animation for this guy btw. Was going to make it wiggle more but it seem a bit much imo. I could add it in if you want though. I did work on him in a moving truck again but hopefully I didnt miss anything this time.

View attachment 13745
Let me know what you think this time!
Looks much better, only thing I'd recommend fixing is that the pointy bit on the left side of the dress is kind of cut off by one of the hand-spikes, and appears oddly rounded whenever the hand moves up. I'd try to make that spot a bit more pointy to mirror the other side of the dress. Amazing work otherwise. +)

New update post coming soon as well.

Long-awaited update incoming.
Zygarde

A few minor edits to this guy, but primary edits are on the backsprite's tail. New sprites are in the top set of 4, older backsprites for tail comparison are posted below. Basically this sprite came down to me shooting a daily PM to PoM over Skype every day until she finally approved it, so yeah, glad that's mostly out of the way. Also, Typhlito , I checked the heads and the size seems pretty spot on as it is currently, so I don't think there's much to worry about in that regard.

Anyways, onto why we're all here.
Tyrantrum

Oh yes, the King is back. Newer sprites are in the middle.

Since I've already gone over most of Tyrantrum's Front Sprite edits, let's talk about what I did with the back. Primary edits include:
-rebuilding it from the ground up.

Yeah, I completely re-scratched the backsprite. Basically, the old sprite suffered from several main issues. Paper-thin neck fur with lack of shading, overly chubby body with non-existent shading, head turned at a 90 degree angle, broken tail, scale plating being only one pixel thick, and ankles that look like backwards sevens are the primary ones, among with several other proportions issues that I don't feel like listing. The front sprite fared better back in the day, and also had a nice open mouth that I could edit for coolness factor that would have been hard to redraw otherwise, so I decided it was more fit as a QC project. Since the base back sprite was off in several primary areas, I decided it would be just as difficult to scratch a new sprite completely, and I would likely end up with a better sprite as a result of similar work.

Accordingly, I fixed all of the issues I didn't like about the previous one and cursed my luck for agreeing to work on another Pokemon whose ingame Pokedex entry suffers from massive perspective issues due to possessing a mile long tail. All in all, I like the way it came out quite a bit. Hopefully I did a good enough job so that Typh doesn't murder me by next week at the very least. +)

As always, comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)