Project RU Creative / Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be boosting with flame charge so a speed boosting nature will be irrelevant on most cases.
Like I said before, jolly is to outspeed Cobalion, Virizion, and all threats up to base 120 after +1. Because of Emboar's horrible, speed, he will need 2 boosts to outspeed all non-scarfed pokes with an Adamant nature, which is difficult to achieve. Therefore, Jolly is preferred.

Swords Dance Doublade yo

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance (this is literally doublade dancing lol)
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak / Shadow Claw
- Secret Sword

PROS:
-
Great typing
- Great Attack
- Sky-high Physical bulk
- Useful priority

CONS:
-
Very dependent on Eviolite
- Slow af

seriously guys, use this, it can sweep teams + destroys stall lol
Isn't this like the most common Doublade set anyway?

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

- Extremely bulky
- Good priority in Ice Shard
- Almost guaranteed to get up rocks

With Wish support, Piloswine is absolutely nuts.

Emboar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sucker Punch

I put this emboar because all emboars are choiced and if it not choiced, they are mixed LO, this is why i put this set, first i have the idea for this set because my team would be weak to delphox if i put a choiced emboar and with this set, you can lure delphox hitting with sucker punch (although most delphox run calm mind, because this you need to do mindgames), also with the expert belt you can 2HKO waters like slowking and in general you have more versatility

Last edited:

innovamania

WEESNAWW
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 208 Spd / 48 HP
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Rain Dance

Don't even wanna showcase this because rain teams are already annoying as shit to deal with but here we go anyways. This guys is one of the most underrated rain setters in the tier and should be considered for every rain team in RU. Why is it so good you may ask. Well my friends, first off it brings some extremely nice resistances for a rain team, in electric and grass. Another minor bonus is that takes less from fire moves but that's just icing on the cake. Not only does it have amazing resists that any rain team will appreciate, it also has a stab volt switch so you can bring your (insert generic swift swimmer here) in either safely if the opponent is faster or if they switch. If you end up being faster then your opponent it's still alright because they are most likely going for a coverage move like flying or fire and guess who resists that? That's right you rock/water swift swimmer. So you're probably asking about the EV's. Well sir or madam 252 sp. attack lets you hit extremely hard while 208 speed EV's lets you outspeed base 80's. If you couldn't care less about them then feel free to add more bulk. If still want the speed but more bulk feel free to move some special attack EV's to HP, I promise I won't stop you. Will-O-Wisp helps you neuter physical threats but if you wanna be more offensive you could add Thunder instead or Pain Split if you want more longetivity. If you're using pain split I would replace lefties with Damp Rock so you can become even more of a godly support. I've rambled enough so let's just review.

Pros:
  • Great synergy with most swift swim abusers
  • Resists electric and grass attacks which are 2 of the most threatening offensive types for rain teams
  • Can bring in your rain abusers safely
  • Isn't completely lackluster offensively like other rain dancers
Cons:
  • He can only have 4 moves so you are forced to limit the amount of support you can bring. (This is called a Nerf)
  • He isn't used as much as he should be
  • He reminds you of lawn work which if you're anything like me, makes you sad on the inside
So their you go. Have fun topping the ladder and having to shove off woman when they see your awesome battling and team building skills. #ChopTheCompetition

~Innovamania

Last edited:
Specially Defensive aka "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" Delphox
Delphox @ Leftovers
EV's: 248 HP/252 SpD/8 Spd
(please give advice on preferred EV's for speed creeping. I'm not very familiar with speed tiers in RU.)
IV's: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp/Magic Coat
- Toxic/Magic Coat

I'm in school right now, so no time for any in-depth analysis, but I really want to know your thoughts on this set. It's a great anti-meta wall/stallbreaker, and with Magic Coat, you can play some real mind games with your opponent and stand a chance of beating conventional counters like Gastro w/out Grass Knot. Pretty cool if you ask me. Just watch out for Slowking as he can be a dick.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Hitmonlee @ Assault Vest/Leftovers
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch/Poison Jab/Toxic
- Hi-Jump-Kick
- Rapid Spin

Avest hitmonlee is crazy good. While many pokes are ruined by attempting to do too much and end up not being good at anything, hitmonlee really has it all. Its spdef is often overlooked, but it is sky-high, especially when boosted by avest. It can take plenty of abuse on the special side. While it will crumble to a strong physical attack, that's what the rest of your team is for. It is far more reliable than lo hitmonle at spinning: it's fast enough without investment to outspeed almost any walls and many slower offensive tanks. Hi-jump-kick and reckless are really the crux pf what makes avest hitmonlee so good. With or without investment, it is hitting HARD. It still 2hkos rhyperior, for example.

Give avest hitmonle a try if you need an offensive spinner on a bulkier team! It's best paired with wish/cleric support and of course something to deal with physical threats.

I used leftovers hitmonlee for a good while becuase it was running toxic, but avest is likely the superior option if not

Last edited:

innovamania

WEESNAWW
If you're running that much bulk on Hitmonlee wouldn't it be better to just run lefties so you get some form of recovery. And if you are going with AV have you considered running drain punch so you get some form of healing? All in all I don't really like nor see a reason for AV Hitmonlee but I guess it's worth a try

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
If you're running that much bulk on Hitmonlee wouldn't it be better to just run lefties so you get some form of recovery. And if you are going with AV have you considered running drain punch so you get some form of healing? All in all I don't really like nor see a reason for AV Hitmonlee but I guess it's worth a try
Lefties would not offer sufficient bulk. Drain punch would ruin the whole purpose of the setby making hitmonlee outright weak. The point is that it can take hits like a champ, deal damage like a champ, and even outspeed some things.

If I ran drain punch, it would be completely outclassed by hitmonchan of all things.

Also as mentioned, wish support is very helpful (and imo should be run on any bulk offense team)

Try it out first

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
MikeDawg it's Careful (+SpD, -SpA). Serious is a neutral nature. :p

But yeah, idk, 252/252+ SpD AV Hitmonlee sounds like a stretch at first sight.. I thought it would be a regular offensive spread with AV.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I've been toying with this set a bit and it's very funny.

Delphox @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo

A very simple set to tell the truth. STABs + Grass Knot deals with great portion of the metagame and they're standard on all offensive sets. The novelty here is Switcheroo. Bluffing the choice item, often (if not always) the opponent switches into Delphox something that can take it on, such as Drapion, Skuntank, Cresselia, Slowking, Tyrantrum and more. Flame Orb cripples all of them, halving their attack (Drapion, Skuntank, Tyrantrum, etc), or taking away their precious passive recovery (Cresselia and co.). This strategy also works as a last-ditch job if Delphox is about do die, taking away the opponent's precious item with it and causing a burn. I strongly recommend this set if you want to use Delphuck in a way not CM nor Choice item.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Some hitmonlee calcs for the nonbelievers:

0 Atk Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Exploud: 572-674 (138.8 - 163.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmonlee: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gorebyss: 189-223 (75 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Gorebyss Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmonlee: 133-157 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zoroark: 152-182 (58.2 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmonlee: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 97.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zoroark Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmonlee: 73-87 (24 - 28.6%) -- 97% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 131-155 (30.3 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
4 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmonlee: 39-46 (12.8 - 15.1%) -- possible 7HKO

4 SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmonlee: 92-110 (30.2 - 36.1%) -- 46.8% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aromatisse: 128-151 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Hitmonlee Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aromatisse: 178-210 (43.8 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

(this one's super impressive:)

0 Atk Reckless Hitmonlee High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clawitzer: 219-258 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Water Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmonlee: 103-123 (33.8 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heliolisk: 170-204 (63.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hitmonlee: 75-91 (24.6 - 29.9%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

The opposing Moltres used Air Slash!
It's super effective! Hitmonlee lost 36.2% of its health!

Last edited:
Hitmonlee @ Assault Vest/Leftovers
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch/Poison Jab/Toxic
- Hi-Jump-Kick
- Rapid Spin

Avest hitmonlee is crazy good. While many pokes are ruined by attempting to do too much and end up not being good at anything, hitmonlee really has it all. Its spdef is often overlooked, but it is sky-high, especially when boosted by avest. It can take plenty of abuse on the special side. While it will crumble to a strong physical attack, that's what the rest of your team is for. It is far more reliable than lo hitmonle at spinning: it's fast enough without investment to outspeed almost any walls and many slower offensive tanks. Hi-jump-kick and reckless are really the crux pf what makes avest hitmonlee so good. With or without investment, it is hitting HARD. It still 2hkos rhyperior, for example.

Give avest hitmonle a try if you need an offensive spinner on a bulkier team! It's best paired with wish/cleric support and of course something to deal with physical threats.

I used leftovers hitmonlee for a good while becuase it was running toxic, but avest is likely the superior option if not
wow, i legit want to steal this set. it is that cool. the one change i would make would be to invest in some Atk, about 100 EV's worth sounds good. doesn't compromise the special bulk too much, and you gain the luxury of ohko'ing escavalier with blaze kick after rocks, as well as making some of your 2hko's into more comfortable 2hko's. tell me what you think of this change. Overall, fantastic anti-meta setup! :)

I've been toying with this set a bit and it's very funny.

Delphox @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo

A very simple set to tell the truth. STABs + Grass Knot deals with great portion of the metagame and they're standard on all offensive sets. The novelty here is Switcheroo. Bluffing the choice item, often (if not always) the opponent switches into Delphox something that can take it on, such as Drapion, Skuntank, Cresselia, Slowking, Tyrantrum and more. Flame Orb cripples all of them, halving their attack (Drapion, Skuntank, Tyrantrum, etc), or taking away their precious passive recovery (Cresselia and co.). This strategy also works as a last-ditch job if Delphox is about do die, taking away the opponent's precious item with it and causing a burn. I strongly recommend this set if you want to use Delphuck in a way not CM nor Choice item.
I've actually been running a very similar set to this:

Delphox @ Expert Belt/Charcoal
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Psyshock
-Grass Knot
-Will-O-Wisp

This does almost everything you listed, including bluffing a choice set and crippling switch-ins, but also is able to burn enemies repeatedly, as well as gain the extra power boost her Expert Belt or Charcoal. However, unlike Switcheroo, this doesn't rob your opponent of its item, but is still definitely worth considering.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Perhaps a bit too out there, but who knows.

252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 217-256 (50 - 58.9%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 301-355 (56.3 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 223-264 (55.1 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 331-391 (77.6 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 174-204 (50.5 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 181-214 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Registeel: 184-218 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Zweilous @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def or 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Crunch
- Return

=Chesnaught said:
An alternative to Zweilous' current spread is moving 252 Spd ---> 40 HP, 40 HP allows you to be 3HKOed after rocks from Delphox's Fire Blast (Choice Specs) with Eviolite. I also ran Zweilous for a bit just to counter Delphox u.u. But watch out for Switcheroo!
Zweilous has the most powerful outrage in the game or something. Maybe Kyu-b beats it? idk. Doesn't matter because there are like 2 steel types to ruin zweilous' day down here, and one of them is 2hkod by outrage. Every physical wall is 2hkod. It's ridic. Why use this over druddigon? Cool factor. Also druddigon is weak af.

252+ Atk Choice Band Druddigon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 183-216 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Like, what is this? Not-2hko-land? Also, who even knows what zweilous does? Nobody, until they are 1hkod by it. Does anybody even know how to spell it? Not me. You could probably run a scarf set or something too. Or eviolite rest talk phaser. Idk. It would be nice if it had hone claws. It hates fairies, but max phs def aromatisse is 2hkod by return so w/e. Hustle maybe sucks but you win some you lose some. It would be a fun poke to try, though!

More speculation about things with ridiculous stats:

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Def or 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef or 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Impish/Careful/Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

It's like a bulkier rhyperior with no lefties. Perhaps it has some niche use on teams that REALLY need a threat walled?

Vs Rhydon:
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 153-181 (36.9 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 150-176 (36.2 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 154-182 (37.1 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Vs rhyperior:
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Zweilous Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 217-256 (50 - 58.9%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 157-186 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- 95.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 162-192 (37.3 - 44.2%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

On Supereffective hits, they are identical. However, Rhydon beats rhyperior by a good 14% for neutral hits. Depends what threatens your team, I suppose (if they have a zwelious, you better watch out!). Perhaps a spdef set has more merit, as it will have significantly more spdef than rhyperior?

Last edited:
An alternative to Zweilous' current spread is moving 252 Spd ---> 40 HP, 40 HP allows you to be 3HKOed after rocks from Delphox's Fire Blast (Choice Specs) with Eviolite. I also ran Zweilous for a bit just to counter Delphox u.u. But watch out for Switcheroo!

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Baton Pass/Stone Edge

A very fun set that surprises a lot of people. Durant is pretty powerful even without LO or Band thanks to Hustle and Scarf lets you revenge kill things that intended to revenge kill you like Scarf Zoro, Froslass, +1 Sharpedo, Cobalion, + Yanmega etc. Torn on the last move atm since you can't hit fliers without Stone Edge, but Baton Pass gives you momentum which is nice.

ps fuck doublade

innovamania

WEESNAWW
I disagree with running hustle on scarf Durant. The miss chance of hustle completely negates the whole purpose of revenge killing but to each their own I guess.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yeh the miss chance does bone me sometimes, but without it i find ant is too weak
As much as I dislike the power drop, you want your revenge killer to be hitting with everything it should be hitting with. Besides, Scarf Durant is supposed to revenge kill first and clean up second. Although Delphox is super common and can run Scarf, you can also use Adamant on Durant to make up for some of the power loss. Outside of Delphox, you're not missing out on much in terms of Speed.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Looks like this thread is dead :/. Time to Max Revive it :D

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Magnet Rise

Am I crazy? Nope magnet rise is a great move on our legendary goat. Why do you ask? Because if screws up most of its counters and uses them as set up fodders like Drudiggon, Rhyperior (without D-tail) and gligar. Sooner than later your opponent finds out that he will need to fodder at least one Pokemon to stop this monster. This set works wonders vs teams using the Aromatisse/ Escavalier/ Gligar core as it can fully counter each member. Zoroark is a wonderful partner because it can deal with Doublade and Slowking, two of the best Cobalion's counters.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Looks like this thread is dead :/. Time to Max Revive it :D

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Magnet Rise

Am I crazy? Nope magnet rise is a great move on our legendary goat. Why do you ask? Because if screws up most of its counters and uses them as set up fodders like Drudiggon, Rhyperior (without D-tail) and gligar. Sooner than later your opponent finds out that he will need to fodder at least one Pokemon to stop this monster. This set works wonders vs teams using the Aromatisse/ Escavalier/ Gligar core as it can fully counter each member. Zoroark is a wonderful partner because it can deal with Doublade and Slowking, two of the best Cobalion's counters.
how does it beat drudd again? Only the support set loses, the other sets just solidly 2HKO cobe. Band and LO both cleanly 2HKO cobe with fire punch and flamethrower respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)