Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Im really interested in CAP. Ive made many of my own pokemon but no where near as detailed as the extent as you guys here. How does someone like me get involved ?

Im really interested in CAP. Ive made many of my own pokemon but no where near as detailed as the extent as you guys here. How does someone like me get involved ?
Follow each of the discussions posted for the current CaP being created. It would be best to read each response (and see all the previous steps to know what's being built) before posting, just so you know the direction things are going (this goes true for voting in polls too).

Definitely check the links on this thread.

Other than that, you can jump right in when ready. Contribute to discussion and follow the guidelines set by the topic leaders. If you feel confident, you can make actual submissions for the pieces of the Pokemon, but make sure you're ready.

Most important thing though, have fun. Everyone is encouraged to participate and learn together.

Last edited:
I was thinking of one thing : as you know each generation brings its new abilities, new attacks and sometimes new types. When building a new CAP, we should take into consideration that array of new possibilities. However, you also know that each generation old mons get new abilities (Politoed), new attacks (Sticky web on Shuckle or whatever), new types (fairy for Clefable) and new stats (+10 atk on Scolipede). Would it be possible to also update CAP mons with new moves/abilities at least, or is it a silly project ?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I was thinking of one thing : as you know each generation brings its new abilities, new attacks and sometimes new types. When building a new CAP, we should take into consideration that array of new possibilities. However, you also know that each generation old mons get new abilities (Politoed), new attacks (Sticky web on Shuckle or whatever), new types (fairy for Clefable) and new stats (+10 atk on Scolipede). Would it be possible to also update CAP mons with new moves/abilities at least, or is it a silly project ?
This has been discussed on many occasions by the P{RC team and the Mods etc... The chances are slim that this will take place until there is a Gen 4/5 CaP ladder and somewhere to historically keep the original Pokemon in their own contexts "Safe and untouched" as it were. Even then the chances of it happening are remote. If Game Freak happens to update something which benefits our CaP (Voodoom and Lightning Rod springs to mind) we will not change it back to its original form. The update is valid.

What's the deal about Necturna's Sketch now that Egg moves can be relearned multiple times?
As far as I am aware, Necturna still only gets one use of Sketch. We have thought about the inclusion of a "Necturna Clause" which directly only allows 1 use of the move Sketch in her moveset. She was never intended to be used with 4 uses of Sketch.

Is there a BP floor for "insert type" "special/physical" coverage moves or does it only include RMs? For example, would a movepool with magical leaf be illegal for Volkraken?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If something is not a restricted move and it hasn't been disallowed by the TLT and TL, it is allowed.

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but why are the CAP#s so all over the place? I mean it was pretty straight forward for the original 4th gen projects, and then it was reset for 5th gen, but if this is the case why is CAP 18 considered CAP 18 and not CAP 1 to go with the pattern?

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
I think resetting the numbering for gen 5 was ultimately considered a mistake. They've always been listed with strictly increasing numbers on the CAP site, as well. The gen 5 CAPs have gone back to officially being 12 through 17, I believe, but people are used to the numbers they had before by now.

I think resetting the numbering for gen 5 was ultimately considered a mistake. They've always been listed with strictly increasing numbers on the CAP site, as well. The gen 5 CAPs have gone back to officially being 12 through 17, I believe, but people are used to the numbers they had before by now.
Ok thank you for responding and clearing that up. Also i was just wondering what happens around here in between CAPs? Ive seen the CAP kitchen thread but what exactly goes on there?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Ok thank you for responding and clearing that up. Also i was just wondering what happens around here in between CAPs? Ive seen the CAP kitchen thread but what exactly goes on there?
Mostly between CaPs is a chance for us to review how the provious project went and discussions for the PRC to see if we need to change/update anything for the next CaP. The process itself is continuously being minorly changed/edited to make it as smooth as possible.

The CaP Kitchen is for more off topicy flavour based stuff. Every so often when a "flashcap" is made on IRC, the results get posted there. Also any fan art you have of caps etc can all get posted their too.

Are there timelines made for each CAP? Like "this stage will be from this date to this date and then the next stage will be..." I'd wanted to get involved in the CAPs since a while ago, especially the art (I remember drawing an idea for the Krilowatt art but forgetting to submit it), but I always miss it because I forget and don't have the time/memory to keep check this site a lot :\

Bull of Heaven

No, there's no fixed timeline. Polls have fixed lengths, but discussions don't, and when a CAP starts is up to the mods. Remember that you can start contributing at any point in the process, so if you miss the start of one, you don't need to wait until the next.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
kpatable A good way to get an estimate for times between stages is to look in the Process Archive and look at the dates the threads were posted. Look at that for a few caps and you can get an idea for how long it takes between Concept Submission and Art Submission, for example.

What does "optics" mean in the context of CAP? I see the word being thrown around CAP Policy Review quite often.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Excellent question. Optics are basically the way that people "outside of CAP" view our work. It's how the public perceives us. You can read up on it here in this thread. There are numerous optics issues that we deal with as a project, from making our Pokemon so strong that it's deemed broken to using legendary-only moves and abilities. While we do not let these things impede on the number one goal of CAP (gain of competitive knowledge), they are important to consider for the betterment of the project.

Let me know if any part of that was confusing or incomplete.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
So I've heard that Flavour CAP's happen sometimes. How do those get started? Can anyone initiate those (with permission I would assume) or is there a process similar to that of regular CAPs?

Is anyone allowed to answer a question they know the answer to, or are staff/voiced members the only ones to answer the questions?

epicparker

Banned deucer.
Feskit, I'm fairly sure this is an open thread and anyone can give out information as wanted. If not, then this reply will probably not be up for long.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is anyone allowed to answer a question they know the answer to, or are staff/voiced members the only ones to answer the questions?
epicparker is correct. Anyone can answer questions here. Just make sure the information you are giving is correct before answering.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
Hey so I asked a question on Tuesday and there's been no answer yet (probably because it didn't look like there was anything new in the thread so I totally understand). So anyone know?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey so I asked a question on Tuesday and there's been no answer yet (probably because it didn't look like there was anything new in the thread so I totally understand). So anyone know?
"Flavour CAPs" are just a thing that occasionally happens on IRC when there are enough people around with the myriad skills required and all of them are sufficiently bored that they're willing to participate. There isn't a process or anything, it's just a thing. Sometimes.

The log from Froxfire's creation should probably answer any other questions you have on that score.

These aren't the only flavour CAPs, though; pre-evolutions to existing CAPs are also codified purely using flavour reasoning. That subforum should give you more information if you're interested.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
So could I start a thread for one? (Just one, polls could be handled on a separate site and all discussion would be in one place)

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So could I start a thread for one? (Just one, polls could be handled on a separate site and all discussion would be in one place)
No. The forum is purely for the Create-A-Pokemon Project and the issues that directly pertain to it. Flavour CAPs don't concern the Project directly; they solely exist as an unofficial IRC activity. The Kitchen is multi-purpose, hence why the products of any given FlashCAP are posted there.

If a mod wants to correct me, feel free, but that's how I understand it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)