Megazard X

Megazard X team

Hi guys! I've been getting into the competitive scene for a week now. I've been trying teams that weren't thought out, just to get the hang of them. Gradually, through discussion, I altered the team and bastardized it into an incoherent bunch of misfits and a Megazard X. Then I copied a very decent team off the Serebii forums around Dragonite, with a magic bounce Espeon. Still, I HAD to have Mega-Charizard X! This is when I opened Google and started to think through this marvelous physical threat. I’ll lay down my thought process in the hopes that you guys can correct me and advise me better movesets, EV-spreads or entirely different pokemon. Now I know I recently posted a team, but the team was really not put together well. I had no experience and just used whatever.

First off: my intention is to make this an ingame team at a certain point in the very near future. This limits me to non-legendary Pokemon only, because I can breed for IV's, natures and hidden abilities this way.

Charizard-Mega-X (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

This is my starter of preference! Thinkable variations are a bulky rooster or a secret swords dance, dragon dance, dragon claw, flare blitzer that decides what dance to perform in response to seeing a reasonable defensive team (Swords Dance) or a reasonable quick team (Dragon Dance). Since I’m inexperienced I went with one of the common sets, as seen above. I decided to forfeit EQ for Roost because Heatran would be the only target for Megazard X’s EQ. Seeing as how I’ll battle this team on Nintendo Wifi, I probably won’t come across it often.

Weaknesses - Before mega: water, rockx4, electric. After mega: ground, rockx2, dragon.
Resistors: Heatran.
In terms of Pokemon: resttalk Gyarados (water flying), mega Gyarados (water dark), slack off Hippowdown, Azumarill switch-ins and play rough over SR. Rotom-W. Some speedy (revenge)sweepers as well. Rock users like TTar or Excadrill could be Dragon Clawed and Flare Blitzed respectively by a Dragon Danced Zard X.

Options against Hippowdown/Gyarados/Azumarill/Rotom-W/Other Ground/Rock type PKMN.
- Azumarill play rough vs Mega Gyarados. Waterfall VS Hippowdown.
- Venusaur Giga drain/Sludge Bomb vs Azumarill and Hippowdown. Gigadrain, leech seed, sleep powder vs Mega Gyarados.
- LACK OF Electric!! Jolteon with volt switch? Rotom-W also counters stuff like opposing Zard-X and Talonflames, volt switch because also a pivot PKMN for Venu-switch.

Options against hazards: rapid spin excadrill, defogging Skarmory/Mandibuzz.

I decided to go with the following partners:

Venusaur (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 156 SDef / 252 HP / 100 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed

This Venusaur is here to get rid of any opposing sweepers mentioned in the Zard X-threat analysis earlier. It will take care of Rotoms, Azumarills and even (mega?)-Gyarados. In addition this is a hit taking special attacker/staller, which is welcome to alleviate Zard a bit from its duties as well as giving the team flexibility in terms of attack plans. With Toxic I can whittle down unforeseen PKMN as well as the ground and electric types that can’t get paralyzed, all the while trying to keep alive by giga draining and stacking HP loss with leech seed to even force switches. Against advice I went with EV’s in the defensive department as it can take a hit and isn’t required to out speed everything because of its recovering capabilities. Advise on an EV spread better suited to the OU environment is welcome though.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 88 SDef / 252 HP / 168 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

This seems to be the standard answer to some threats that are partially dealt with by Venusaur as well. More importantly, some additional popular PKMN to counter in the OU-spheres that I just can’t let Venusaur and unevolved, undanced Charizard X deal with, would be Talonflames and opposing Charizards. Also, popular fire types or steeltypes that don’t get poisoned would be better suitable to be handled by this team member in terms of either attacking or stalling. Rotom functions as an initial volt switch scout against slower Pokemon as well.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss

Chansey takes the roll of a mixed cleric/crippler in this team. Chansey is that breather, that pawn, that I play when my plan of attack is being denied. Initially I wanted to go with a wishing Blissey to support the team better. I’m still in doubt seeing as how knock off has become popular and without Eviolite Chansey is a bit less reliable, whereas Blissey remains having wish. With frequent and obvious physical attackers switching in, having proper defenses is a must. I usually go for switch-ins with Chansey when appropriate and marinade as much of the opponents in tetraplegia as possible so that either Zard-X or the other attackers can have well prepared meals. Aromatherapy repairs my team for the endgame, preferably when I’ve gotten rid of the opposing Hazards and cripplers. This is the reason for my next choice.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

Charizard is extremely frail to stealth rocks. Skarmory can reasonably switch into them, defog them and whirlwind any annoying status updaters as well as potentially summon rock-weak PKMN into the rocks just laid by myself. You’ll notice the lack of Roost on this set, it’s something I’m unsure about and it’s an issue that is being thought about hard. I can see Skarmory stalling poisoned PKMN, in which case Roost would be very welcome. In coherence with the other team members though, especially in preparing the endgame for Megazard-X, the chosen moves seem more essential to me.

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp is here to threaten those annoying defoggers that want to take away my Zard-X’s chances. Focus sashers are a bit of a problem for my Zard as it dishes out hard, but will only take one or two good hits to go down. You defog my hazards; you deal with +1 Bisharp, a physical threat on its own. Enemies that don’t resist dark but pack a super effective for Bisharp are also in for a world of trouble with suckerpunch. It’s just layers and layers of covering and covering weaknesses.

In short this team exists of a reasonable fast physical sweeper in Charizard. Complimentary bulky special attackers/stallers can be found in Venusaur and Rotom-W. The Special defender and cleric is Chansey, the physical defender and rockplayer and threatwhirlwinder is Skarmory. Bisharp is the defog punisher as well as a physical attacker to deload Zard a bit.

Team type weaknesses are found in: the fire type! Especially a ninetails rocking drought with solarbeam and focus blast, this renders Venusaur, Rotom-W and Chansey quite defenseless and Skarmory and Bisharp will also be useless! This leaves only dragon clawing Megazard X, making me rely on other ill-researched team endgame tactics. The same can be said about a focus blast wielding ZardY, these seem to be rare and I usually come at it with Chansey. This also makes me rethink Rotom-W’s voltswitch, should it be a thunderbolt?

Other weaknesses:
- No priority moves? Aqua jet on Azumarill. Missing bullet punch for Azumarill. Mach punch or vacuum wave against skill link shell smashing Cloyster for instance?
- No fast special sweeper. Gengar? Go for Volcarona, replace Zard with DDance Dragonite and mega venusaur? Needs a whole new analysis though ><...

Common annoying threats encountered online:
Hazards: skarmory, whirlwind if Bisharp on team.
Focus sash sporing Smeargle: switch in venusaur (spore no more) leech seed/toxic.
Paraflinching Togekiss, Rotom-W volt switch/will-o-wisp and hydro pump.
Levitating Wash Rotom. Venusaur sleep powder
Knock off Azumarill: Venusaur
Skill link shel smashing Cloyster: Skarmory whirlwind, Bisharp sucker punch/iron head?

Missing: speedy revenge-killer (magic guard focus sash Alakazam)? Rethink one of the bulky special attackers/stallers? Venusaur gone would put a lot of load on Rotom-W (then volt switch is definitely out for thunderbolt), what would a good replacement be? Is room place for a special attacking rock setter with toxic? Suggestions?

------------------------------------------------------------
My team for copying/testing.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 88 SDef / 252 HP / 168 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Venusaur (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 156 SDef / 252 HP / 100 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 232 Def / 252 HP / 24 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:
Is it okay if I bump this up? It's been a while now, I'm sorry if that's not the tradition here.

Anyway, I'v come up with some problems with this team. Fire-types (including solar beam, which makes 4 instant KO's on my team), Conkeldurr. There are some others, but can't think of them off the top of my head. Is there anything I can do to better balance this team?

I'm not the best rater ever, so take my advice with a grain of salt if you will. But your venusaur's nature must change. In this place, serious nature is only good when you're trading guys or using them to breed. go for a better nature like timid or modest. Also since you're not activly using sun, Chlorophyll makes venusaur dead weight, half the time, (let's not get into the speed race with it even if you did face sun, which means you'll probably be out speeded almost every time). But you seem to be using everything else well for their intended purpose. Also kudos for M-Charizard X!

There: nature, item and EV spread adjusted on Venusaur! Any tips on my huge fire-weakness as well as solarbeam-users and enemy Conkeldurrs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)