Your Favorite Tier~

Back when I played Gen 5, it was exclusively UU and Ubers. Nowadays, I only have interest in Ubers, so I'd say that's my favorite tier right now, though I might dive into UU again and see what that's like some other time.

Back when I played Gen 5, it was exclusively UU and Ubers. Nowadays, I only have interest in Ubers, so I'd say that's my favorite tier right now, though I might dive into UU again and see what that's like some other time.
You should! :D I love UU.

Balanced hackmons because unlike ou it isn't stale as fuck the metagame is always changing with people finding lots of new threats, in addition to that have you wanted kyurem-b to have refrigerate but fucking hate wonderguards and huge/pure powers? Then balanced hackmons is the meta for you! (If this doesn't count then nu because its the underdogs of the pokemon kicking ass.)

I used to reign terror in UU before X and Y but now I've gone to little cup and other metagames c: it's just more fun to me but UU has always been something I go back to

I really only play monotype right now. However I do some randbats as well. (Does that even really count? lol)

Back in fifth gen I was really into OU, topped the ladder a few times (keeping in mind that was when it took like 15 battles to top the ladder after alting lol). Later I got really into certain other metagames (tier shift and ability exchange were big ones for me), but I play pretty much everything; any of the standard tiers and quite a few more. I've never really been a fan of BH/Hackmons/Glitchmons though, so those are usually out.

Challenge Cup 1v1s deserve a special mention.

I also started developing a theorymon-based tier near the end of fifth gen that I played with friends; it was basically fifth gen OU with the following changes:
Roserade gets Dry Skin; all moves legal together
Metagross gets Analytic, Volt Switch, and Rapid Spin
Torterra gets Shell Smash and Unburden
Flygon gets Tinted Lens and V-Create

Ubers is my favorite. OU is my most played but the same Pokemon being used piss me off due to overuse and predictability. Many of my favorite Pokemon are viable or (unfairly) banned to Ubers: my top 2 favorite Pokemon being Mega Lucario and Skymin, and not to forget favorite starter Blaziken. I love being able to use Ho-oh and Xerneas and other large beasts like Arceus. Until further notice, I have caused countless rage quits using the notorious Swagkey. Otherwise, I take my OU teams to Ubers and fight the lower lower so I can beat up some all-legendaries teams or laugh at some noobs using focus sash Pikachu or non-mega Charizard.

Let me tell you a tale of butthurt and overcentralization.

Back in Gen V, I played Ubers pretty much all the time, with OU as a past-time (not saying I was good in any of these), but Gen VI really made me broaden my horizons. I started off when OU started to form when everyone was slapping Assault Vest on everything and Greninja/Talonflame/Aegislash cores were everywhere. However, when Pokebank was added to Showdown, I decided to move back to Ubers only to find that this little problem existed: Geomancy Xerneas. After laddering for at least 2 hours and seeing a Xerneas on practically every team with absolutely no diversity whatsoever, I decided to back off and turn back to OU, only to find that it was pretty much in the same state as Ubers at the time, what with all the Mega Lucarios and lack of realization that Pokemon like Landorus, Kyurem-B (my fav Pokemon in OU atm) and Manaphy even existed. Around the time MegaLuke got banned, I turned back to Ubers once again after it finally started to balance out, and I stayed there for quite a while. After a couple of weeks, I decided to explore most of the tiers a bit more, and I started profusely playing LC (somehow got to 1800s when I had no idea what I was doing), and eventually started playing UU and RU when they came out. Still, my favorite tier would have to be Ubers, since you can basically use all the fun cover legends even though almost none of the OU bans were applied here, such as FagPlay and EvasionPass. Ubers pretty much makes you very cautious and thought-out when teambuilding with all these threats that can absolutely destroy you as well, which is a very good habit to pick up when you start out (Even though I still suck at this game).

Ubers:
  • Someone recommending TBolt GeoXern to me when I missed Thunder twice in a row
  • Mega Kangaskhan trying to Sucker Punch me repeatedly when I had Ghostceus with Roar
  • People telling me Rayquaza isn't good and to use MegaZard X out of blatant fanboyism (coming from me I know)
Overused:
  • Dragon Rage Mega Charizard X. No explanation needed
  • Someone saying I had no strategy when his Landorus couldn't break past Deoxys-D while I was spamming Recover (this is before DeoSharp became a thing)
  • Someone saying that Kyurem-B can't break past Fairy-types only for me to annihilate his Sylveon with a Fusion Bolt. He ragequit shortly after
Underused:
  • Mega Manectric vs. SpD Mew:
-Manectric used Signal Beam! Mew lost 32% of its health!
-Me: What's Signal Beam for?
-Foe: To kill Psychic-types like Mew!
-Me: Well, I'm still here....
-The opponent disconnected from the match!

Rarelyused:
  • Me sweeping someone with Hitmonlee, only for someone to call me a mindless drone
  • Someone saying that this Claydol will wall my team, only for me to destroy it with Knock Off Turn 1

Last edited:
I traditionally only play the lower tiers, although I played the hell out of 4th and 5th gen OU.

6th gen OU is friggin terrible, but I'm loving the crap out of the lower tiers again, specifically NU.

I used to play a lot of ubers in previous gens, but swagplay and xerneas ruined it.

My favorite tier of all though is monotype.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm a huge fan of RU and UU. BW RU was the first meta I was decently good at and I've loved the leadership. UU has a good community and a tiering system I like.

For some reason since DPP I've always played the standard tier OU for a short of time, but eventually I get bored and I move back to Ubers where in my opinion there's more diversity and it is where I usually have more fun, I remember the days of BW with OU centralized as hell for obvious reasons, so I decided I wouldn't play OU for a while and I played exclusively in Ubers, I didn't get to be very good but I remember facing some known people here and eventually winning some games, obviously the point after all is to have fun so yeah Ubers is my favourite, nothing else.

BW RU is the perfect meta. Perfect mixture of viable play and it was the most fun for me to use Bulky Offense in. Also fairly balanced and diverse after fucking Nidoqueen got out of there. Seriously, fuck Nidoqueen.

Ban Drud tho

I've been on numerous accounts for a while, but really OU is so far. However, I haven't really tried any of the others. Making an LC team tomorrow.

Challenge Cup 1v1 and Balanced Hackmons. Some very creative strategies in BH (my favorite being Sturdy Shedinja) but you don't have to have 3 Mold Breaker Pokémon to counter things like pure-Electric Wonder Guard with Air Balloon while still keeping a solid defensive base for Huge/Pure Power. And in Challenge Cup 1v1 a lot of people just blindly pick the highest level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)