Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using this recently to moderate success.

Tentacool @ Eviolite
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Scald

use ditto and lead with it against shuckle, get your own sticky web up to nullify their's, as most sticky web abusers in this tier are grounded

Aright shuckle is awesome and really good but as we all know it kills a ton of momentum, also DopestDope why use tenticool when I can use something like pelipper for removing hazards and utility.

Thanks Brawlfest ! Oh and what nature? I'm assuming adamant. Ok so with your spread I'm going to post the rhydon set I have been using.
Rhydon @Eviolite
Ability: doesn't matter, all are useless :( (i use rock head because it fits Rhydon)
88hp 252At 84spD 84spe Adamant
- StoneEdge/ Rock Blast -SR
- EQ -Roar/ Dragon Tail/ rest *

I can't decide between the slashed moveslots. If anyone has experience or suggestions please help me decide. A great partner for Rhydon is Altaria, who resists water, fighting, grass (4x) and is immune to ground. Altaria also provides *heal bell support for Rhydon's rest, or any burns/ poisons that he gets. Rhydon in turn resists rock and is immune to electric. This core would be beautifully rounded out with a steel, who resists steel, dragon and ice, and gets two fire resisting partners. Strong fighters like Sawk with LO ice punch could break this core though. Maybe Doublade for the steel type?

So, Rhydon + Altaria + steel (?) = awesome core

Thanks Brawlfest ! Oh and what nature? I'm assuming adamant. Ok so with your spread I'm going to post the rhydon set I have been using.
Rhydon @Eviolite
Ability: doesn't matter, all are useless :( (i use rock head because it fits Rhydon)
88hp 252At 84spD 84spe Adamant
- StoneEdge/ Rock Blast -SR
- EQ -Roar/ Dragon Tail/ rest *

I can't decide between the slashed moveslots. If anyone has experience or suggestions please help me decide. A great partner for Rhydon is Altaria, who resists water, fighting, grass (4x) and is immune to ground. Altaria also provides *heal bell support for Rhydon's rest, or any burns/ poisons that he gets. Rhydon in turn resists rock and is immune to electric. This core would be beautifully rounded out with a steel, who resists steel, dragon and ice, and gets two fire resisting partners. Strong fighters like Sawk with LO ice punch could break this core though. Maybe Doublade for the steel type?

So, Rhydon + Altaria + steel (?) = awesome core
Here is the standard Rhydon's Importable.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 88 HP / 84 SDef / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock / Substitute
- Earthquake
- Megahorn / Roar / Toxic / Dragon Tail / Ice Punch

Rock Blast v. Stone Edge is an argument of utility or damage, but Rock Blast is typically preferred as it is more accurate and can break substitutes. Stealth Rock for utility, but if you are using Rhydon as a pure Tank run Substitute to avoid status. EQ Is its most reliable STAP, fucking shit over. Ice Punch and Megahorn hit grass types pretty hard, Roar and DTail Phaze (One for reliability, the other for damage), and Toxic is mlg.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^ the slashitis is real. btw that's the BW RU set which isn't optimal this gen, there's a spread that lives Sawk CC and OHKOs back but I can't remember it, if someone could post it it'd be good.

Agreeing with Shuckle hype, there's nearly no way to prevent it from setting up Webs and probably the only ways are Xatu / Webs of your own. Insane bulk + mental herb + OP hazard is crazy. Hopefully people soon start realizing the potency of this and webs become more popular, because srsly wtf Shuckle. I used Shuckle + llamas's double bull core posted somewhere near page 4, and once Tauros removes Steelix / Doublade, Bouffalant is extremely scary with an almost guaranteed Speed drop on the opponent. Also, Infestation Shuckle + Spiritomb is a terrific way to lure and defeat Xatu, since Xatu switch-ins on Shuckle are way too easy to predict, meaning Spiritomb can get a guaranteed switch into Xatu should it get trapped by Infestation, then KOing with Pursuit and allowing Shuckle to set up webs safely.

Another thing I feel is underrated is weather. Not just sand which I and several others posted about before, but also rain and sun (hail sux). This gen we have weather setters that are buffed majorly. We got Knock Off Liepard to increase its annoyance level as well as setters like Uxie and Mesprit, both of which have insane support moves like SR, Yawn, Thunder Wave, Memento/Healing Wish, and good bulk or power respectively. Both individual weathers also got good sweepers, including Qwilfish for rain and a truckload of fantastic Fire-types for sun. Several buffs also meant that both weathers could remove entry hazards easier, for both rain (Qwilfish, Armaldo) and sun (Shiftry). Kangaskhan and Jynx's fall in popularity and the absence of Gardevoir means both weathers can really reign and shine (heh). Also, many teams nowadays are quite weak to both of these weathers, admittedly mine included; take a look at the RMT section and you'll realize most/all of the teams there are unable to deal with multiple weather abusers without even noticing it.

This is a rain set that I'm really enjoying rn:

Qwilfish @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance
- Destiny Bond / Taunt

Qwilfish is amazing on rain teams. Poison typing not only removes Toxic Spikes, it also allows it to weaken Gurdurr to the point where Carracosta, a Pokemon I partner it with, can sweep, since Gurdurr can't heal with Drain Punch vs this guy. Plus a nifty resistance to Mach Punch. You'll be surprised at how much damage Qwilfish does vs non physical walls. Even unboosted, Qwilfish can do around 50% to Lickilicky with rain boosted Waterfall, and you can probably imagine that it hits very hard after a boost. Poison Jab is mostly coverage for Grass-types, but outside of rain it has a nifty poison chance to wear down its checks further. Swords Dance is a very cool move allowing Qwilfish to break through many opponents and possibly sweep. Finally Destiny Bond can take down a troublesome opponent for the team, and it is useful with the speed boost from rain. Taunt is an alternative to allow Qwilfish to break stall teams or Thunder Wave users, and preventing recovery. You could probably use Explosion over something as well for a massive middle finger to bulky opponents. All in all, Qwilfish is a great addition to rain. It isn't meant to be a sweeper but more of something that weakens opposing threats to rain so that its teammates can sweep.

Have you guys tried rain or sun? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Sticky Web can't be stopped because our spinners and defoggers suck. Fuck Shuckle.
Actually unlike 5th gen we actually have a strong list of decent spinners and defoggers:
Spinners: Avalugg, Cryogonal, Sandslash
Defoggers: Lumineon, Mantine, Murkrow, Pelipper, Shiftry, Togetic, Virbrava, Vullaby

The only problem is that people need to be wary of Malamar or maybe Defiant Primape and Purugly. Plus there's a number of good Ghost types down here.

Last edited:
There are plenty of good Defoggers (Xatu and Togetic being my favorites), but the spinners all have really bad weaknesses and/or stats. I've had very poor results overall with Cryogonal. Because it's OHKO'd by any non-resisted physical attack, and because it's typing really blows (half the special sweepers carry Fire Blast or are Fire types [Pyroar/Magmortar are everywhere]), it struggles to use it's fantastic special bulk.

I haven't used Armaldo or Avalugg personally but I've played against them enough to know neither is very good. I imagine Armaldo would work well with rain, but otherwise I'm not impressed.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
^ the slashitis is real. btw that's the BW RU set which isn't optimal this gen, there's a spread that lives Sawk CC and OHKOs back but I can't remember it, if someone could post it it'd be good.
I believe the spread you meant was 48 Atk / 248 HP / 108 Def / 104 SDef

CB adamant sawk does 78.9 - 93.4% with cc, and rhydon ohko 100% of the time with eq after the defense drop. Rest of the Evs in special bulk for extra tankiness (Personally I don't like this spread too much, it's very specialized).

Edit: This is all with Eviolite, I thought I should just add that if it wasn't obvious.

Actually unlike 5th gen we actually have a strong list of decent spinners and defoggers:
Spinners: Avalugg, Cryogonal, Sandslash
Defoggers: Altaria, Mantine, Pelipper, Shiftry, Togetic, Virbrava, Xatu

The only problem is that people need to be wary of Malamar or maybe Defiant Primape and Purugly. Plus there's a number of good Ghost types down here.
Defog Xatu is illegal with Magic Bounce so it's not that good with Defog. Losing the reason to use Xatu isn't worth it really.

So has anyone used cacturne much this gen? I've been trying it out on my dual screens/smashpass team (I understand this makes me the devil) and it's been performing excellently.

The set I've used is

Cacturne Life Orb
252 Att , 252 Speed, 4 Def
Water Absorb
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~Drain Punch

Yeah yeah yeah, this set is far from original but that doesn't change the fact that our friendly neighborhood cactus is a demon on the battlefield, the part that always cracks me up is the fact that he needs dual screens to set up subs on defensive seismitoed. So has anyone tried him yet?

So has anyone used cacturne much this gen? I've been trying it out on my dual screens/smashpass team (I understand this makes me the devil) and it's been performing excellently.

The set I've used is

Cacturne Life Orb
Water Absorb
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~Drain Punch

Yeah yeah yeah, this set is far from original but that doesn't change the fact that our friendly neighborhood cactus is a demon on the battlefield, the part that always cracks me up is the fact that he needs dual screens to set up subs on defensive seismitoed. So has anyone tried him yet?
Pls Seed Bomb over Drain Punch

The set I've used is

Cacturne Life Orb
Water Absorb
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
~Sucker Punch
~Drain Punch

Cacturne is good, but i find Shiftry to be better thanks to (a lot) better speed tier and access to knock off and defog. Cacturne still has a niche, as it is stronger and can set up easier thanks to water absorb.

There are plenty of good Defoggers (Xatu and Togetic being my favorites), but the spinners all have really bad weaknesses and/or stats. I've had very poor results overall with Cryogonal. Because it's OHKO'd by any non-resisted physical attack, and because it's typing really blows (half the special sweepers carry Fire Blast or are Fire types [Pyroar/Magmortar are everywhere]), it struggles to use it's fantastic special bulk.

I haven't used Armaldo or Avalugg personally but I've played against them enough to know neither is very good. I imagine Armaldo would work well with rain, but otherwise I'm not impressed.
Armaldo as an offensive spinner is outclassed by Sandslash, as for Avalugg it can be a decent physical wall (remember it can learn recover) and spinner so long as you know not to keep/bring in on Fire types and Sawk.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
STARTING/RESTARTING THE FLAPPY BIRD HYPE 1!!!!

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE FACE OF MERCY TO YOU? (it doesn't to me, I'd finna take off if I met this thing in a dark alleyway)

Stats: 75/140/65/112/65/110

look at those stats YOUR EYES SHOULD BE MELTING FROM THE BEAUTY.

(sorry if i broke any of your eyes but if they broke then ur probably weaker than my hitta Archeops, and you need to buff up)

Ok Let's actually get to archeops's pros and cons, because this is really interesting and I've heard next to nothing about this mon so far

Intro to Flapy brd Archeops: Archeops is shoved down in the pits of NU. Why, oh why is a mon with 140/112/110 offensive stats struggling down in the pit of other pokemon that are seemingly unviable enough to not be used by many players at all? Thes offenses scream UU, OU even. Like that jason derulio talk dirty to me asian girl, u might "not unnastand" why it's so low
Well you have one thing to thank- The archeops line's infamously horrendous ability, Defeatist. Defeatist halves archeops's Near unmanageable atk and special atk to xtremely mediocre levels when this mon drops below 50% health. Well, you say, just keep it above 50%, that'll keep it fine and good and not feeling defeated. well it's no easy feat to keep it above 50% either, mostly because of the prevalence of stealth rocks, being weak to most types of priority, and it's 75/65/65 defenses you passed over earlier while your eyes fell out staring at it's Jaw-dropping attack.

Despite all these shortcomings, I personally belieb archeops carves itself a little niche in this metagame. Being The best nuke to ever grace NU since rampardos counts :]]

Possible Sets:

Archeops @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Heat Wave / Knock Off

Premise of this set is to spam Archeops's most powerful move to sort-of "unlock" his second most powerful move. The Recoil from Head smash will most likely drop you into a range Where Sitrus Berry can proc. and now you have Archeops's Second most spammable STAB, Acrobatics. Acrobatics hits ruthlessly hard off of base 140 attack, 2HKOing almost the whole unresisted meta, Eqarthquake is mandtory otherwise mons like bastiodon and probopass would wall this set. The last slot you could use a lot of moves in, knock off for sheer utility, u-turn to pick up momentum, and my preferred final option, heat wave. Archeops sits at a trolly base 110 speed tier, so it can snipe durant with a 4x super effective heat wave before durant has the chance to move.

Other options it has:
choice Band/Scarf because archeops gets uturn and switcheroo this gen and banded head smash would be the ultimate nuke
Power Herb Sky attack would be pretty cool and powerful ah
Special attacker but a semi-lackluster special movepool

Opinions on flapy brd? How has he worked/not worked for you so far?

STARTING/RESTARTING THE FLAPPY BIRD HYPE 1!!!!

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE FACE OF MERCY TO YOU? (it doesn't to me, I'd finna take off if I met this thing in a dark alleyway)

Stats: 75/140/65/112/65/110

look at those stats YOUR EYES SHOULD BE MELTING FROM THE BEAUTY.

(sorry if i broke any of your eyes but if they broke then ur probably weaker than my hitta Archeops, and you need to buff up)

Ok Let's actually get to archeops's pros and cons, because this is really interesting and I've heard next to nothing about this mon so far

Intro to Flapy brd Archeops: Archeops is shoved down in the pits of NU. Why, oh why is a mon with 140/112/110 offensive stats struggling down in the pit of other pokemon that are seemingly unviable enough to not be used by many players at all? Thes offenses scream UU, OU even. Like that jason derulio talk dirty to me asian girl, u might "not unnastand" why it's so low
Well you have one thing to thank- The archeops line's infamously horrendous ability, Defeatist. Defeatist halves archeops's Near unmanageable atk and special atk to xtremely mediocre levels when this mon drops below 50% health. Well, you say, just keep it above 50%, that'll keep it fine and good and not feeling defeated. well it's no easy feat to keep it above 50% either, mostly because of the prevalence of stealth rocks, being weak to most types of priority, and it's 75/65/65 defenses you passed over earlier while your eyes fell out staring at it's Jaw-dropping attack.

Despite all these shortcomings, I personally belieb archeops carves itself a little niche in this metagame. Being The best nuke to ever grace NU since rampardos counts :]]

Possible Sets:

Archeops @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Heat Wave / Knock Off

Premise of this set is to spam Archeops's most powerful move to sort-of "unlock" his second most powerful move. The Recoil from Head smash will most likely drop you into a range Where Sitrus Berry can proc. and now you have Archeops's Second most spammable STAB, Acrobatics. Acrobatics hits ruthlessly hard off of base 140 attack, 2HKOing almost the whole unresisted meta, Eqarthquake is mandtory otherwise mons like bastiodon and probopass would wall this set. The last slot you could use a lot of moves in, knock off for sheer utility, u-turn to pick up momentum, and my preferred final option, heat wave. Archeops sits at a trolly base 110 speed tier, so it can snipe durant with a 4x super effective heat wave before durant has the chance to move.

Other options it has:
choice Band/Scarf because archeops gets uturn and switcheroo this gen and banded head smash would be the ultimate nuke
Power Herb Sky attack would be pretty cool and powerful ah
Special attacker but a semi-lackluster special movepool

Opinions on flapy brd? How has he worked/not worked for you so far?
Burd is best used as a mixed sweeper with either no item or Life Orb as shown, also a great lead with SR for jokes. The below sets takes advantage of its best traits as either a cleaner or a sweeper. Stone Edge is the STAB of choice, and either Heat Wave or Earth Power are used for coverage. Earthquake is terrible, because you are walled by Doublade, Steelix, and other stuff still, but Earth Power helps to push through them by hitting them on their frail SDef. The Last two spots are filler. U-Turn grabs momentum against things Archeops cannot beat such as Poliwrath, Knock Off is great for wearing down pokemon and nabbing their items, and Acro is a great secondary STAB. The option of Taunt, Stealth Rock or Roost comes at the cost of Utility vs. Reliability. Roost is best when using Archeops as an offensive pokemon, but Taunt makes stall teams helpless, and Stealth Rock offers support to HO Teams.

O and if you want to be as much of a noob as Zebraiken run HP Grass.

Archeops @ Life Orb / No Item
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Heat Wave / Earth Power
- U-turn / Knock Off / Acrobatics
- Roost / Taunt / Stealth Rock

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Archeops @ Life Orb / No Item
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Heat Wave / Earth Power
- U-turn / Knock Off / Acrobatics
- Roost / Taunt / Stealth Rock
If you're going to go itemless, don't bother avoiding the spA decrease from jolly or adding the 4 leftovers Evs to SpA. Neither of them help because all the things you hit with Earth Power/Heat wave is Ohko/2hko just the same either way. Might as well save what little bulk Burd still have if you can.

Armaldo as an offensive spinner is outclassed by Sandslash, as for Avalugg it can be a decent physical wall (remember it can learn recover) and spinner so long as you know not to keep/bring in on Fire types and Sawk.
Right, forgot about Sandslash, even though I've used it a lot.

Avalugg is basically a physical wall version of Cryogonal, except it's really slow. That's a pretty crippling flaw.

This is the optimal spread IMO.

252 HP/ 44 Atk/ 68 Def/ 144 SpD with Adamant lets you survive an Adamant Sawk CC and OHKO back at -1 without SR on the field or 252 HP/112 Atk/144 SpD with an Impish nature lets you survive an Adamant Sawk CC 100% of the time after SR damage and have a 75% of OHKOing back without SR on the opponent's side. The special defense investment lets you always survive a giga drain from Timid LO Accelgor and a hidden power grass or focus blast from LO timid Magmortar (reduced to 82% chance and 94% chance respectively of surviving should they be modest.) Quite a good investment seeing as 88 HP/84 SpD is always OHKOed by timid LO accelgor and modest magmortar.

As for other stuff I've enjoyed using:

Hariyama @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Functions like a slower Sawk except offers more team synergy, with thick fat turning hariyama into a hard counter to magmortar and typhlosion.

This is the optimal spread IMO.

252 HP/ 44 Atk/ 68 Def/ 144 SpD with Adamant lets you survive an Adamant Sawk CC and OHKO back at -1 without SR on the field or 252 HP/112 Atk/144 SpD with an Impish nature lets you survive an Adamant Sawk CC 100% of the time after SR damage and have a 75% of OHKOing back without SR on the opponent's side. The special defense investment lets you always survive a giga drain from Timid LO Accelgor and a hidden power grass or focus blast from LO timid Magmortar (reduced to 82% chance and 94% chance respectively of surviving should they be modest.) Quite a good investment seeing as 88 HP/84 SpD is always OHKOed by timid LO accelgor and modest magmortar.

As for other stuff I've enjoyed using:

Hariyama @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Functions like a slower Sawk except offers more team synergy, with thick fat turning hariyama into a hard counter to magmortar and typhlosion.
Honestly, if I am using Hariyama it will either be Assault Vest, Defensive, or SubPunch. Frankly, a Choice Banded set does not take advantage of Hariyama's best quality, which is relentlessly tanking hits. I wouldn't compare Hariyama to Sawk, as Sawk hits a speed tier letting it clean up much of the metagame, and offers utility in Mold Breaker, making it NU's premier "spinner". Hariyama is best seen as you said checking Typhlosion, Magmortar, and Pyroar, but also still taking advantage of good coverage and a somewhat existant movepool, and honestly does much better when not Choice Locked. It hits hard enough most of the time, and makes much better use of reliable recovery in Lefties or the extra bulk offered in AV.

One thing I noticed about NU is the great amount of good water-types. A small comparative list:

-Seismitoad. Great Pokemon, can set up SR and stops other water types such as Lanturn in their tracks. Has a decent movepool with Knock off and Sludge Wave. Watch out for HP Grasses on things like Magmortar.

-Qwilfish. Also, a great counter to many physical pokemon. Like Seismitoad, has a great movepool with Taunt, Thunder Wave, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, etc. Decently fast for a defensive pokemon. Poison is a great secondary typing which ensures Qwilfish can take on Durant's X-Scissors, Virizion's Leaf Blades, Sawk's Close Combat etc. Like Seismitoad, doesn't have reliable recovery.

-Lanturn. Again, great typing and good bulk. Lanturns niche is Heal Bell, which is really useful for balanced and defensive teams. Volt Switch is another obligatory move. Doesn't mind HP Grasses too much and is thus a very reliable check to most fire types.

-Carracosta. More fit for Shell Smash. Water/Rock isn't the best offensive coverage, but it does the job. Respectable defenses + Sturdy often ensure a Shell Smash.

-Barbaracle. Should only be compared to Carracosta and Omastar. Faster and more powerful, but has to rely on inaccurate moves, plus doesn't get access to Aqua Jet which Carracosta does. It does get Fighting coverage though.

-Mantine. Great as a purely defensive pokemon with Defog, comparable to Pellipper. Doesn't get Roost or U-Turn like its Water/Flying companion, but has Haze and way better Special Defense to make up for it. Counters Typhlosion to hell and back. Also, Grass Types are not really an issue with Air Slash.

-Ludicolo. Unique Typing, rips holes in teams with a LO Rain Dance set. Also has good coverage with Hydro/Ice Beam/Giga Drain. No real negatives, except that you'll need to find a turn to set up Rain.

-Samurott. Can run two viable sets with SD and Special LO. Megahorn is its niche over Feraligatr. Has decent stats but stands out in none. Often outclassed by things like Feraligatr or Ludicolo.

-Poliwrath. Another unique typing, good defensive pokemon that stops Durant. Circle Throw is a good phazing move and Poliwrath can run a few different sets, with Resttalk, Toxic or Bulk Up, or a combination of them.

-Basculin. Good CB user. Adaptability helps power up Aqua Jet and Waterfall, but is definitely not one of the best water types out there. A lot of things are capable of using Aqua Jet and doing more than that.

-Feraligatr. Good bulk, access to SD, Dragon Dance, Aqua Jet, Ice Punch, etc. Very good pokemon but lacks Speed when not running DD. Good late game cleaner, but isn't really popular on the ladder yet.

-Pellipper. Another defensive water type. As said, Roost + U-Turn + Defog and good Defense. Reliable pokemon for a core. Actually the only Water type in NU with reliable recovery (!).

-Gorebyss. Another SS user. However, can also pass the boosts to other pokemon sweeping in its place. Therefore a very dangerous pokemon. On itself it's often outclassed by the other Shell Smash users.

-Omastar. Similar to Carracosta and Barbaracle, even has the same typing, but attacks on the special side, thus having Water/Ice coverage rather than Water/Rock. Not much to say really. Also has access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes if you really want.

-Simipour. Fastest Water Type in NU with 101 Base Speed. Also has Nasty Plot, but is very frail. Most priority moves can deal with it. Also walled by other water-types such as Lanturn and Seismitoad.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed about NU is the great amount of good water-types. A small comparative list:

-Seismitoad. Great Pokemon, can set up SR and stops other water types such as Lanturn in their tracks. Has a decent movepool with Knock off and Sludge Wave. Watch out for HP Grasses on things like Magmortar.

-Qwilfish. Also, a great counter to many physical pokemon. Like Seismitoad, has a great movepool with Taunt, Thunder Wave, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, etc. Decently fast for a defensive pokemon. Poison is a great secondary typing which ensures Qwilfish resists Durant's X-Scissors, Virizion's Leaf Blades, Sawk's Close Combat etc. Like Seismitoad, doesn't have reliable recovery.

-Lanturn. Again, great typing and good bulk. Lanturns niche is Heal Bell, which is really useful for balanced and defensive teams. Volt Switch is another obligatory move. Doesn't mind HP Grasses too much and is thus a very reliable check to most fire types.

-Carracosta. More fit for Shell Smash. Water/Rock isn't the best offensive coverage, but it does the job. Respectable defenses + Sturdy often ensure a Shell Smash.

-Barbaracle. Should only be compared to Carracosta and Omastar. Faster and more powerful, but has to rely on inaccurate moves, plus doesn't get access to Aqua Jet which Carracosta does. It does get Fighting coverage though.

-Mantine. Great as a purely defensive pokemon with Defog, comparable to Pellipper. Doesn't get Roost or U-Turn like its Water/Flying companion, but has Haze and way better Special Defense to make up for it. Counters Typhlosion to hell and back. Also, Grass Types are not really an issue with Air Slash.

-Ludicolo. Unique Typing, rips holes in teams with a LO Rain Dance set. Also has good coverage with Hydro/Ice Beam/Giga Drain. No real negatives, except that you'll need to find a turn to set up Rain.

-Samurott. Can run two viable sets with SD and Special LO. Megahorn is its niche over Feraligatr. Has decent stats but stands out in none. Often outclassed by things like Feraligatr or Ludicolo.

-Poliwrath. Another unique typing, good defensive pokemon that stops Durant. Circle Throw is a good phazing move and Poliwrath can run a few different sets, with Resttalk, Toxic or Bulk Up, or a combination of them.

-Basculin. Good CB user. Adaptability helps power up Aqua Jet and Waterfall, but is definitely not one of the best water types out there. A lot of things are capable of using Aqua Jet and doing more than that.

-Feraligatr. Good bulk, access to SD, Dragon Dance, Aqua Jet, Ice Punch, etc. Very good pokemon but lacks Speed when not running DD. Good late game cleaner, but isn't really popular on the ladder yet.

-Pellipper. Another defensive water type. As said, Roost + U-Turn + Defog and good Defense. Reliable pokemon for a core. Actually the only Water type in NU with reliable recovery (!).

-Gorebyss. Another SS user. However, can also pass the boosts to other pokemon sweeping in its place. Therefore a very dangerous pokemon. On itself it's often outclassed by the other Shell Smash users.

-Omastar. Similar to Carracosta and Barbaracle, even has the same typing, but attacks on the special side, thus having Water/Ice coverage rather than Water/Rock. Not much to say really. Also has access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes if you really want.

-Simipour. Fastest Water Type in NU with 101 Base Speed. Also has Nasty Plot, but is very frail. Most priority moves can deal with it. Also walled by other water-types such as Lanturn and Seismitoad.
I think you are forgetting a lot of viable options on these pokemon so I will fill them in.

-Seismitoad. Great Pokemon, can set up SR and stops other water types such as Lanturn in their tracks. Has a decent movepool with Knock off and Sludge Wave. Watch out for HP Grasses on things like Magmortar. Can also run offensively with SubToxic and Rain Dance.

-Qwilfish. Also, a great counter to many physical pokemon. Like Seismitoad, has a great movepool with Taunt, Thunder Wave, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, etc. Decently fast for a defensive pokemon. Poison is a great secondary typing which ensures Qwilfish resists Durant's X-Scissors, Virizion's Leaf Blades, Sawk's Close Combat etc. Like Seismitoad, doesn't have reliable recovery.

-Carracosta. More fit for Shell Smash. Water/Rock isn't the best offensive coverage, but it does the job. Respectable defenses + Solid Rock (Nobody runs sturdy because it is broken often and thus doesn't aid the sweep, Solid Rock is far more reliable) often ensure a Shell Smash.

-Mantine. Great as a purely defensive pokemon with Defog, comparable to Pellipper. Doesn't get Roost or U-Turn like its Water/Flying companion, but has Haze and way better Special Defense to make up for it. Counters Typhlosion to hell and back. Also, Grass Types are not really an issue with Air Slash. Can also run an offensive Rain Dance Set effectively.

-Ludicolo. Unique Typing, rips holes in teams with a LO Rain Dance set. Also has good coverage with Hydro/Ice Beam/Giga Drain. No real negatives, except that you'll need to find a turn to set up Rain. Defensive Ludicolo is a great option to check opposing water types, and can utilize a decent SAtk set as well as Leech Seed to help wear down special attackers.

-Poliwrath. Another unique typing, good defensive pokemon that stops Durant. Circle Throw is a good phazing move and Poliwrath can run a few different sets, with RestTalk, ProTox, SubPunch, and All Out Attacker.

-Pellipper. Another defensive water type. As said, Roost + U-Turn + Defog and good Defense. Reliable pokemon for a core. Actually the only Water type in NU with reliable recovery Ludicolo gets Synthesis, Qwilfish gets Pain Split, RestTalk is semi-reliable.

-Gorebyss. Another SS user. However, can also pass the boosts to other pokemon sweeping in its place. Therefore a very dangerous pokemon. On itself it's often outclassed by the other Shell Smash users. Only shell smasher in NU with Baton Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)