Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shhh they don't know about Ice Age
Dodrio really struggles to find a niche atm, even in a meta where birdspam is one of the best strategies. I really don't see a real reason to use it over Tflame/Staraptor, even if it does mega up
Well, I gave it a weaker version that I think that will benefit defensive Ice in general in the future. I called it "Clear Ice", and it's Filter for non-super-effective moves (if the move is not super effective, it does 25% less damage). It's only half of a resistance, but the fact that Ice has a whopping 1 resistance is pretty horrible for a defensive type. This will at least make all the attacks that do neutral damage (hint: a lot of them) hit for a bit less; I called it Clear Ice to keep its distribution pretty narrow even in the future; like Solid Rock, Clear Ice shouldn't be going to Pokemon whose types aren't mentioned right in the name; Clear Ice is meant specifically to help Ice-types, just as Solid Rock currently only goes to Rock-types. (By other defensive Ices I mean Cryogonal, Avalugg, and any other future Megas that happen to gain an Ice-type or turn defensive).

Eh, something with all 3 heads? Maybe something similar to Parental Bond with 3 hits, only each hit does 50% damage?

Also, Poison/Water Muk sounds... Not that good. I mean, where do you even get a physical Water move that fits Muk's flavor ._.
(just imagine, Muk with a tail using Aqua Tail ._.)
You completely stole my great ability idea for dodrio that I had planned. Ho, well. Will you be using it on yours? I will use it if you don't, but if you do I will gladly find something else.

So I know that this is like 3 days late, but is it too late to give Mega Vileplume Powder? I think that this would be a very interesting choice that could play some mind games with opponents...

Powder is a powder move, of course (prevented by Safety Goggles and Overcoat, Grass-types are immune). If the Pokemon it is used on uses a Fire-type move, said Pokemon loses 25% of its health. Currently only Vivillon has it, and it unfortunately can't make much use of it. However, I could see it as a very viable option on Mega Vileplume, to deceive the opponent if nothing else. Priority powder means that Vileplume is nearly guaranteed to get it off on any opponent, unlike Vivillon. This gives Vileplume a priority weapon against Fire-types. The effect only lasts the turn it's used though, so should the opponent not use a Fire move, Vileplume would have wasted its turn. This makes the move a mind game of sorts; the fact that Vileplume could learn it should make people second guess using a Fire-type move on Vileplume without some consideration, while the user of Vileplume may not want to risk wasting a turn if Powder doesn't activate. Just my 2 cents on the suggestion.

Something that hits multiple times like Parental bond would be pretty neat. If I were to use this I would make Dodrio part Dark so it can abuse STAB Assurance. Though, I think I'll leave that up to you guys as I had a couple other ideas in mind. I'm quite intrigued by Dewgong though as Dewgong's stats are fairly balanced, so it will be interesting to see the different spreads people use.

Muk is the most useless of the four. It needs a very powerful Mega Ability to be viable. I'm thinking, a Poison Type version of Shadow Tag/Arena Trap.

Muk is the most useless of the four. It needs a very powerful Mega Ability to be viable. I'm thinking, a Poison Type version of Shadow Tag/Arena Trap.
I think Muk is the best of the 4. It's BST is 500 so Mega-Muk will be a pseudo-legendary. Plus it has an interesting move pool with lots of valuable niches.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Muk is a special wall with high attack and interesting form of priority, so I'd rather say Dewgong struggles more to capitalise on a certain niche since both its defenses and offenses are average. Gooey, Regenerator, and Poison Touch are all abilities that fits Muk's flavor imo, where the latter could even be made viable with multi-hit contact moves (pity that all of them have low power). Like others said, we should capitalise on Dodrio's three heads (Skill Link, unique ability) and Hypno's sleep theme (Bad Dreams, Insomnia) since that separates themselves from other species of their types, rather than going a more general route. Dewgong is bit of an oddball as I can't really decide what approach would be the best for it, as it's right now somewhat bulky, but not to such an extent that it must be locked to such a role (See: Kangaskhan). But right now, I'm leaning towards Refrigerate coupled with learning Double-Edge / Head Charge, letting it become a hard hitting tank.

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Eh, something with all 3 heads? Maybe something similar to Parental Bond with 3 hits, only each hit does 50% damage?

Also, Poison/Water Muk sounds... Not that good. I mean, where do you even get a physical Water move that fits Muk's flavor ._.
You completely stole my great ability idea for dodrio that I had planned. Ho, well. Will you be using it on yours? I will use it if you don't, but if you do I will gladly find something else.
I hate both of you :p

Wow, Dewgong is really tough to carve a niche for. I was thinking a +50 SpA boost and Sniper which would make it the best user of Frost Breath (the always crit Ice move), but the damage output is still only decent, not amazing:

252+ SpA Sniper Dewgong Frost Breath vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame on a critical hit: 310-366 (104 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sniper Dewgong Frost Breath vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias on a critical hit: 369-435 (122.1 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sniper Dewgong Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss on a critical hit: 300-354 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So the damage is ok, but that leaves 50 stat points available to help it sweep or tank, and that's just not enough to get it to OU.

The other idea I had was Simple to be used with boosted defence stats and Stockpile - but this would have a hard time with most boosting sweepers.

Edit: Oh, and on the subject of Muk - IF ONLY it was specially-based. It's special movepool is great including Fire Blast and Thunderbolt while its physical options are limited to Poison, Ghost and Rock coverage. Why did Gamefreak have to make its Attack so much better than its Special Attack?

Last edited:
Just give Dewgong some OP abilities and it'll make the cut. Probably.
What I planned up currently involved Prankster, parafusion-flinch, and hopefully a lot of rage : D

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Mega Dewgong could work as a bulky PerishTrapper with either Prankster or a good defensive ability.

Lapras is also a water/ice type with Whirlpool+Perish Song, but it has better stats and movepool so it will be easier to find a different niche for it.
This way Dewgong won't be outclassed by Lapras as it has always been.

It really needs Drill Run. I mean Drill Peck was its signature move a long time ago, it fits. Also it gets Knock Off. Dark/Flying anyone?

For Mega Dewgong I think it's type should stay the same but it needs an immunity ability like Lightning Rod or Sap Sipper.

I'm thinking of lowering its speed to make it more of a tano, it gets Ice Shard and Aqua Jet to overcome speed issues. Right now its base 70 Spe is awkward.

Wow, Dewgong is really tough to carve a niche for. I was thinking a +50 SpA boost and Sniper which would make it the best user of Frost Breath (the always crit Ice move), but the damage output is still only decent, not amazing:

252+ SpA Sniper Dewgong Frost Breath vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame on a critical hit: 310-366 (104 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sniper Dewgong Frost Breath vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias on a critical hit: 369-435 (122.1 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sniper Dewgong Frost Breath vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss on a critical hit: 300-354 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So the damage is ok, but that leaves 50 stat points available to help it sweep or tank, and that's just not enough to get it to OU.

The other idea I had was Simple to be used with boosted defence stats and Stockpile - but this would have a hard time with most boosting sweepers.

Edit: Oh, and on the subject of Muk - IF ONLY it was specially-based. It's special movepool is great including Fire Blast and Thunderbolt while its physical options are limited to Poison, Ghost and Rock coverage. Why did Gamefreak have to make its Attack so much better than its Special Attack?
That's exactly the idea I have. Muk has so much potential in its Special movepool but they gave usable SpA to Weezing instead.

We need to talk more about Hypno. All its stats but SpD are terrible. Mono Psychic is an awful typing all around. 483 BST.

Rattled is a good ability for it, essentially makes it get +1 Spe every time it's hit by an SE move

Last edited:
I think Muk should stay physical IMO. He has good special coverage but so do lots of things, Muk is unique, let's keep Muk unique.

I'm thinkin' add Earthquake to his movepool, along with Hammer Arm and something like Body Slam.

Arena Trap would be flavorful and pretty cool, but we'd have to be careful with stat distribution so we don't make it broken. Gooey and Poison Touch are probably safer options.

For Hypno, I feel it might be better to build on his existing strengths because with his mediocre stats across the board barring SpD, we can't really create new ones. Why not give Hypno a boost in defenses, making it into an excellent wall ? With even 20 in HP and 40 in each defensive stat, Hypno has amazing bulk with 105/110/155, which is tough to break through.
Alternatively, looking at the image for Hypno, we could give him Fur Coat:

This would patch up his mediocre defense and allow us to heavily invest in HP + SpD. I know most megas have the same HP, but in a case like Hypno's, a change by 20 is necessary.

As for typing, why not make him Psychic/Fairy? That would render his typing better, as he'd lose weaknesses to the Dark-type and the Bug-type in exchange for a Poison neutrality and a weakness to Steel types.

For Hypno, I feel it might be better to build on his existing strengths because with his mediocre stats across the board barring SpD, we can't really create new ones. Why not give Hypno a boost in defenses, making it into an excellent wall ? With even 20 in HP and 40 in each defensive stat, Hypno has amazing bulk with 105/110/155, which is tough to break through.

This would patch up his mediocre defense and allow us to heavily invest in HP + SpD. I know most megas have the same HP, but in a case like Hypno's, a change by 20 is necessary.

As for typing, why not make him Psychic/Fairy? That would render his typing better, as he'd lose weaknesses to the Dark-type and the Bug-type in exchange for a Poison neutrality and a weakness to Steel types.
No, you absolutely can't change HP. No exceptions. Not just a personal rule, that's how it works in game.

Also he'd be weak to Poison. Fairy is weak to Poison.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.

you can't change HP. Technically it breaks the ingame form changing (though I did modify kalos 2 so this was possible)

It really needs Drill Run. I mean Drill Peck was its signature move a long time ago, it fits. Also it gets Knock Off. Dark/Flying anyone?

For Mega Dewgong I think it's type should stay the same but it needs an immunity ability like Lightning Rod or Sap Sipper.

I'm thinking of lowering its speed to make it more of a tano, it gets Ice Shard and Aqua Jet to overcome speed issues. Right now its base 70 Spe is awkward.
Dodrio already has Drill run.

I like the idea of Fur Coat and buffed defences (we can't buff HP) but Psychic doesn't resist Poison so it would still be weak to Poison, Steel and Ghost.

That's exactly the idea I have. Muk has so much potential in its Special movepool but they gave usable SpA to Weezing instead.

We need to talk more about Hypno. All its stats but SpD are terrible. Mono Psychic is an awful typing all around. 483 BST.

Rattled is a good ability for it, essentially makes it get +1 Spe every time it's hit by an SE move
No Guard could give it never-miss Hypnosis and Focus Blast? That'd be pretty decent!

For Hypno since a lot of people are gonna run bad dreams I'm gonna give it an ability that adds a 30% sleep chance when it moves.
Dodrio is yet another one I'm giving a unique ability. It hits three times with head moves at 100%, 50%, and 25% full power consecutively.
Muk is another one with a unique ability. It's similar to gooey but instead of lowering speed it raises attack and special attack.
I don't think I'm gonna do dewgong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)