Other Counter That Pokemon! (Final Battle Friday @ 12 PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I do not think this is a very good pick for Team 2. First of all, you are using up Team 2's mega slot very early in this project. Second, Team 1 can pick almost any mega it wants to and counter this Mega Scizor set and give Team 2 major problems trying to counter Team 1's mega.
Some MEvos may be some of the best Pokemon in OU, but so are Pokemon such as Thundurus, Landorus, Aegislash, Deoxys-S, Garchomp, Azumarill, Bisharp, Keldeo, Clefable, and Talonflame, so it's not like we are missing on good Pokemon by picking our MEvo now. Of course there is some opportunity cost involved if we pick our MEvo now, but in Mega Scizor's case it's easily worth it.

And what do you mean by ''Team 1 can pick almost any mega it wants to and counter this Mega Scizor set and give Team 2 major problems trying to counter Team 1's mega.''. The only MEvos that counter Mega Scizor are Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Charizard X, and those Pokemon are all huge metagame threats that give troubles to a ton of good Pokemon, so i don't see why this is a point against Mega Scizor, especially when we already have Mega Charizard Y covered with Dragonite. The opponent will be able to counter pick our pick no matter what we go with because that's the nature of the project, and it's almost inevitable they will pick a strong MEvo too. The best we can do is pick a Pokemon that fares as good as possible against the opposing team, has as good as possible synergy with our team, and is as hard to counter as possible. Mega Scizor fits all three criteria pretty well, and your only argument so far has been that it's too early for us to be using our Mega slot, which on its own has almost no merit.

I recommend changing your Magnezone set to a Sub + Charge Beam set. This way, you not only kill Ferrothorn, but use it to set Substitutes and grab some Special Attack boosts which makes it very difficult for Team 1 to counter. With the same spread, Flash Cannon OHKO's Kyurem-B at +1 and Landorus at +2 which can't kill Magnezone if it has a Substitute up.
With a perfect double switch or switching in on T-wave - yes you would wreck Ferro and you get 7 chances at Charge Beam boosts. If you have to switch in on Knock Off you get 3 at most while Leech Seed gives you 2 and forces you out in a couple of turns (and no-one using these teams would give Magnezone a free switch into Power Whip because Ferro has no reason to be using it at this stage). A Sub + Charge Beam set would also be less effective against the rest of team 1 if not given the chance to set up on Ferro - for instance it can't revenge kill a healthy Kyu-B without any boosts and Landorus can switch in and force it out while taking 70% at most whereas a Specs set would have a solid chance of OHKOing. In my opinion Magnezone would lose too much by giving up Volt Switch and Thunderbolt (you need HP fire to beat Ferro if switching in on Leech Seed or Knock Off and Flash Cannon to stop Kyu-B and Lando from freely switching in).

Some MEvos may be some of the best Pokemon in OU, but so are Pokemon such as Thundurus, Landorus, Aegislash, Deoxys-S, Garchomp, Azumarill, Bisharp, Keldeo, Clefable, and Talonflame, so it's not like we are missing on good Pokemon by picking our MEvo now. Of course there is some opportunity cost involved if we pick our MEvo now, but in Mega Scizor's case it's easily worth it.

And what do you mean by ''Team 1 can pick almost any mega it wants to and counter this Mega Scizor set and give Team 2 major problems trying to counter Team 1's mega.''. The only MEvos that counter Mega Scizor are Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Charizard X, and those Pokemon are all huge metagame threats that give troubles to a ton of good Pokemon, so i don't see why this is a point against Mega Scizor, especially when we already have Mega Charizard Y covered with Dragonite. The opponent will be able to counter pick our pick no matter what we go with because that's the nature of the project, and it's almost inevitable they will pick a strong MEvo too. The best we can do is pick a Pokemon that fares as good as possible against the opposing team, has as good as possible synergy with our team, and is as hard to counter as possible. Mega Scizor fits all three criteria pretty well, and your only argument so far has been that it's too early for us to be using our Mega slot, which on its own has almost no merit.
Mega Mawile, Mega Venusaur, Mega Garchomp, Mega Manectric, Mega Aggron, Mega Ampharos, Mega Blastoise, and Mega Houndoom all counter Mega Scizor in addition to what you listed. There are also many Fire types and Water types Team 1 can use to counter Mega Scizor. The Mega pick should at least be very difficult to counter and limit the other Team's choices to counter it. There are a wide variety of choices for Team 1 to counter Mega Scizor, and many of them put Team 2 on the defensive. The other suggestions here have fewer counters for Team 1 to choose from and do not use up the mega slot which could be used on something more threatening like Mega Charizard X. Since Team 1 has the last pick, Team 2 needs to force Team 1 to play defense with its picks so that Team 1 can't just pick sweepers that demolish Team 2.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Mawile, Mega Venusaur, Mega Garchomp, Mega Manectric, Mega Aggron, Mega Ampharos, Mega Blastoise, and Mega Houndoom all counter Mega Scizor in addition to what you listed. There are also many Fire types and Water types Team 1 can use to counter Mega Scizor. The Mega pick should at least be very difficult to counter and limit the other Team's choices to counter it. There are a wide variety of choices for Team 1 to counter Mega Scizor, and many of them put Team 2 on the defensive. The other suggestions here have fewer counters for Team 1 to choose from and do not use up the mega slot which could be used on something more threatening like Mega Charizard X. Since Team 1 has the last pick, Team 2 needs to force Team 1 to play defense with its picks so that Team 1 can't just pick sweepers that demolish Team 2.
Out of those MEvos, only Mega Manectric is a counter to Mega Scizor, and thankfully Mega Manectric is not hard at all to check or counter. As for the others, assuming they switch in as Mega Sczor uses SD, Mega Mawile is 2HKOed by +2 BP and can't OHKO back (unless it goes for Fire Fang, which is an inferior option in general), Mega Venusaur is usually 2HKOed at +2 and can't OHKO or do anything back in general, Mega Agrron can't do anything to Mega Scizor (unless it uses Fire Punch, which is not a good move on it), Mega Ampharos gets 2HKOed after SR if offensive and fails to 2HKO Mega Scizor if defensive so Mega Scizor can boost on its face and overwhelm it, and Mega Garchomp is outclassed by Garchomp for the most part, so it's not such a big worry unless team 1 goes for a sand team. Mega Houndoom and Mega Blastoise are straight up bad Pokemon or outclassed in OU so i won't even talk about them...

So contrary to what you say, Mega Scizor is not easy to shut down at all, while also hard countering both Ferrothorn and Kyurem-B and thus allowing us to use anything we want as our 4th Pokemon, in order to focus on applying as much offensive pressure as possible instead of covering threats from team 1. No other Pokemon can counter both Ferrothorn and Kyurem-B, have that great synergy with the rest of the team, and be as hard to counter as Mega Scizor is.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Out of those MEvos, only Mega Manectric is a counter to Mega Scizor, and thankfully Mega Manectric is not hard at all to check or counter. As for the others, assuming they switch in as Mega Sczor uses SD, Mega Mawile is 2HKOed by +2 BP and can't OHKO back (unless it goes for Fire Fang, which is an inferior option in general), Mega Venusaur is usually 2HKOed at +2 and can't OHKO or do anything back in general, Mega Agrron can't do anything to Mega Scizor (unless it uses Fire Punch, which is not a good move on it), Mega Ampharos gets 2HKOed after SR if offensive and fails to 2HKO Mega Scizor if defensive so Mega Scizor can boost on its face and overwhelm it, and Mega Garchomp is outclassed by Garchomp for the most part, so it's not such a big worry unless team 1 goes for a sand team. Mega Houndoom and Mega Blastoise are straight up bad Pokemon or outclassed in OU so i won't even talk about them...
Just because it is terrible in OU doesn't mean it is terrible in a project like this. A lot of extremely niche Pokemon do really well in this project, so don't be afraid to nominate something that isn't good for the meta as a whole, but completely dumps on the other team's nominations. This is a message for everyone nominating.
I will say again, OU viabilities are not a huge factor in this project, just so long as whatever is nominated can take on a majority (if not all) of the other team's nominations. Remember, we are only dealing with one team that we will know a good amount about, not the entire OU metagame. These niche mons do very well in this project specifically for this reason, so Mega Blastoise and Mega Houndoom are are not as bad of options as you may think just so long as they work well against the opposing nominations. Please keep this in mind when nominating and judging other people's nominations. This is a counter team project, not a generic overall team building project.

Last edited:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 112 Def / 100 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

The classic bulky SD set is a perfect fit for team 2. 100% counters both Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn and uses them as set up fodder, while also being immune to Ferrothorn's Knock Off and not particularly caring about Thunder Wave. In addition, Mega Scizor has great synergy with Greninja and Dragonite, as it can check and set up on anything that checks Greninja, namely Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Kyurem-B, as well as check many faster Pokemon that threaten Dragonite, such as Latios, Latias, Terrakion, Mega Gardevoir, and Deoxys-S, while Dragonite can in turn check Mega Charizard Y and Heatran for Mega Scizor, both of which are very problematic for Mega Scizor, especially Mega Charizard Y, as it has Roost to stay alive and will always be faster.

So, all in all, Mega Scizor counters both Ferrothorn and Kyurem-B, is a great bulky sweeper and check to multiple Pokemon, and has great synergy with the rest of the team, making for an excellent addition.
Its weird because I love AND hate this pick at the same time. I think Scizor is an excellent choice as it does great against the current mons and you took into consideration what may lie ahead. I hate this pick in the sense that I feel it can be easily walled due to its coverage. The utility of Knock Off and priority are nice along with recovery, but I feel like M-Scizor may end up becoming set up fodder for future sweepers in the future. Also, one of the Megas Red Cat did not mention was Mega Gyarados. It can come in and Intimidate Scizor and then mega evolve and start Dragon Dancing if Scizor thinks it can set up. If it had U-turn, I would probably like this pick a lot more.

And to add onto what Wreckdra said, there have been multiple UU pokemon chosen during the previous CtP project, where even the last pick from the last one, Raikou, was UU. Saying a pokemon is bad/outclassed in OU does not mean that it should not be completely forgotten about.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
I will say again, OU viabilities are not a huge factor in this project, just so long as whatever is nominated can take on a majority (if not all) of the other team's nominations. Remember, we are only dealing with one team that we will know a good amount about, not the entire OU metagame. These niche mons do very well in this project specifically for this reason, so Mega Blastoise and Mega Houndoom are are not as bad of options as you may think just so long as they work well against the opposing nominations. Please keep this in mind when nominating and judging other people's nominations. This is a counter team project, not a generic overall team building project.
Chances are that those two Pokemon won't be good choices, that's the point, because when competing with the best OU Pokemon, most of the time there are better choices. And usually in this project, the uncommon Pokemon that get picked are sweepers meant to take advantage of the other team's weakness to them, and both Mega Blastoise and Mega Houndoom are not good for this role, the first because it's not a sweeper at all, and the second because Greninja outspeeds and OHKOes it and Dragonite checks it pretty well.

As for U-turn over Knock Off, that's something i could change if enough people support it.

I'm removing my nomination of Specs Keldeo. If someone feels like renominating it for me, that's cool.

I'm going to steal Lether's Magnezone suggestion but use the set I want.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 192 Spd / 252 SAtk / 64 HP
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Iron Defense
- Charge Beam
- Flash Cannon

This is a weird Substitute + Charge Beam set meant specifically to take advantage of Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn needs 2 hits to break Magnezone's sub, but Iron Defense makes it impossible for Ferrothorn to wear Magnezone down. Once Magnezone gets to +6 Defense, it can stall out Ferrothorn as long as it still has PP and boost to +6 Special Attack with Charge Beam (barring some extremely bad luck). Not only will Ferrothorn get killed, Team 1 will have to deal with a +6 Defense and Special Attack Magnezone behind a Substitute afterward. Even most Steel resists are OHKO'ed by a +6 Flash Cannon, so Team 1 will likely lose two Pokemon if Magnezone gets the opportunity to set up on Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn was chosen by Team 1 to counter Greninja, but if Ferrothorn switches into U-turn it will get trapped and Magnezone will set up on it, so switching Ferrothorn in on Greninja is no longer a good idea. Magnezone also outspeeds and has a chance to KO Kyurem-B if it switches into Greninja's U-turn with a little prior damage. Team 1 will probably have to go back to the drawing board and find something else to counter Dragonite and Greninja, since Magnezone takes advantage of Ferrothorn so well.

For this round, I am going to nominate a Pokemon that is not even viable in OU, Mienshao.

Mienshao
Item : Life Orb
Ability : Reckless
EVs : 196 Atk / 88 Sp. Atk / 224 Spe
Nature: Naive
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice
- U - Turn

I think Mienshao is a good pick for Team 2 because it is able to defeat all three of Team 1's Pokemon one-on-one with the right move. With this EV spread, Landorus is OHKOed by Hidden Power Ice 100% of the time while Kyurem-B and Ferrothorn are obviously OHKOed by Reckless High Jump Kick. Reckless High Jump Kick also deals a lot of damage to neutral targets so it forces Team 1 to either find something that outspeeds Mienshao or find a defensive pick. Stone Edge is available so that you have something to hit defensive Zapdos and Togekiss who walls this set otherwise.It also prevents Gyarados and Thundurus to come in for free on you. U-Turn is used on this set for momentum-grabbing. Any thoughts are welcome

(Warning: Choosing Mienshao also means you have one pokemon being walled by Mega Venusaur / Fairies or losing to Talonflame / Mega Pinsir 100% of the time)

EDIT: Implemented Homeslice's ideas

Last edited:
Red Cat Lether
Figuring I can address Magnezone in one group. Before I begin, I'll go right off the bat in saying Lether's set is a much better choice.

Magnezone, as a whole, isn't that great of an idea. He's extreme bait for Landorus, who can just switch in after Ferrothorns death, and U-turn out into something that will easily check/counter whatever is coming in on Landorus or can take a flash cannon, or EP Magnezone for an OHKO. Landorus forces Magnezone out either way and is a very good check for it already, leaving opportunity for Team 1 to sneak in something that can maybe check Magnezone with coverage but can easily plow through the rest of the team. Just the presence of Landorus leaves a huge guessing game for team 2 because they have to decide whether Flash Cannon is the best choice or not between Landorus U-turning or EPing. Knock Off on Ferro also doesn't exactly promote Magnezone's viability.

Building on that, Specs is a better choice in every way possible. You're completely destroying all sense of worth with Magnezone by not running HP Fire, and Iron Defense is a completely useless move because you raising your defense doesn't change the fact Ferrothorn doesn't enjoy being in there anyways and that Landorus is going to just come in and OHKO you. Heatran, Charizard Y, and Manetric are all also possible future picks that simply don't care how physically bulky you are because they are faster and will OHKO you either way. Ferrothorn also has the ability to Knock Off your leftovers and use Leech Seed on you, and no matter how confident you are that you won't get seeded because of sub eventually you will make the wrong decision between using Sub and trying to get another +1. Even on the switch, Ferrothorn has no issue spamming Knock Off or Leech Seed because that's what he does.

Random Passerby
If you're set on Mienshao, using a spread of 196 Atk / 88 SpA / 224 Spe allows you to outspeed Landorus, OHKO, and still retain the ability to OHKO Cube and Ferrothorn with High Jump Kick. I'd also suggest using U-Turn over Stone Edge because you already have HP Ice to deal with Flying types and you aren't staying in on Talonflame anyways. U-Turn gives you some more flexibility with counters that are slower than you and we all know how useful U-Turn is. Mienshao is actually a very strong choice, considering it's usable in OU and can effectively check everything on Team 1 right now. Mienshao and Mega Scizor are my top two choices right now.

As a general note, it's time to put away the notion of a mega being a bad choice this early in the project. A mega, a hazard setter/remover, a revenge killer, and sometimes a glue if not taken care of by the earlier picks are all generally good ideas to have on a team and with 3 slots left right around the corner it's time to start considering any of these. A generally good order to follow would be mega then hazard setter/remover then revenge killer. Having flexibility between these three also allows for a better glue at the end of the project.

Halcyon. can you update the op pls thanks

Red Cat Lether
Figuring I can address Magnezone in one group. Before I begin, I'll go right off the bat in saying Lether's set is a much better choice.

Magnezone, as a whole, isn't that great of an idea. He's extreme bait for Landorus, who can just switch in after Ferrothorns death, and U-turn out into something that will easily check/counter whatever is coming in on Landorus or can take a flash cannon, or EP Magnezone for an OHKO. Landorus forces Magnezone out either way and is a very good check for it already, leaving opportunity for Team 1 to sneak in something that can maybe check Magnezone with coverage but can easily plow through the rest of the team. Just the presence of Landorus leaves a huge guessing game for team 2 because they have to decide whether Flash Cannon is the best choice or not between Landorus U-turning or EPing. Knock Off on Ferro also doesn't exactly promote Magnezone's viability.

Building on that, Specs is a better choice in every way possible. You're completely destroying all sense of worth with Magnezone by not running HP Fire, and Iron Defense is a completely useless move because you raising your defense doesn't change the fact Ferrothorn doesn't enjoy being in there anyways and that Landorus is going to just come in and OHKO you. Heatran, Charizard Y, and Manetric are all also possible future picks that simply don't care how physically bulky you are because they are faster and will OHKO you either way. Ferrothorn also has the ability to Knock Off your leftovers and use Leech Seed on you, and no matter how confident you are that you won't get seeded because of sub eventually you will make the wrong decision between using Sub and trying to get another +1. Even on the switch, Ferrothorn has no issue spamming Knock Off or Leech Seed because that's what he does.
I don't think you understand how my Magnezone set works. This set is designed to come in on Ferrothorn on Greninja's U-turn or on a well played double switch. From that point there is no prediction required by Team 2.

Turn 1: Magnezone uses Substitute, Ferrothorn isn't powerful enough to break the Sub with Knock Off.

Turn 2: Magnezone uses Iron Defense, Ferrothorn breaks the Sub.

Turn 3: Magnezone uses Substitute. Ferrothorn now needs at least 3 Knock Offs to break the Sub.

Turns 4 and 5: Magnezone use Iron Defense. Ferrothorn needs 4-5 Knock Offs to break Magnezone's Sub now.

Turn 6: Magnezone uses Substitute.

Turns 7+: Magnezone starts boosting with Charge Beam. Whenever Ferrothorn breaks the Sub, Magnezone puts up a new one.

Once Magnezone gets to +6 Special Attack: Magnezone can now 2HKO Ferrothorn with Flash Cannon. Ferrothorn dies and Magnezone is at +6 and behind a Sub.

From that point, all Landorus can do is break the Sub while it gets OHKO'ed by +6 Flash Cannon. Kyurem-B can't do anything because Magnezone is faster. Mega Manectric and Mega Charizard Y are OHKO'ed by +6 Flash Cannon and Charge Beam respectively and all they can do is break the Sub. Team 1 could pick Heatran or Chansey to check +6 Magnezone, but then Team 1 compounds its weakness to Fighting types which is good for Team 2.

So, let's see what options we have so far...

Mega Gardevoir - Don't really like this set to be honest. You need Gardevoir to be at full health and already Mega-evolved to have it to take on Kyurem-B. Otherwise, 4 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Mega Gardevoir: 145-171 (42.7 - 50.4%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
this will happen instead. Sure, you force it out the next turn as you outspeed, but now M-Gard is crippled. If you have not evolved, you will be 2HKO-ed with Stealth Rock if it Fusion Bolts, no questions asked.
Provided that 1) you somehow manage to keep SR off and evolved Gard with Kyurem-B behind a Sub,
2) Or you manage to switch Gard in as it Subs
then, M-Gard can work.
Since I prefer to avoid predictions, I have to decline this set.

Magnezone - No comment since I have not used these much in Gen 4, 5 and 6

Infernape - Boasts the same advantage as Mienshao in being able to check all three of team 1's pokemon. Having a secondary STAB to rely on when Fighting is resisted is also good although the lack of power on non-super effective hits is really telling, making it easier to handle. Won't complain if this is chosen though. (Why use Iron Fist when you hav eno Punching moves? Also, why Hasty over Naive?)

Conkeldurr - Again, destroys all Team 1's pokemon but it is easily counter picked against later. Slow and no reliable recovery means it will be easier to wear down and your don't hit that powerfully without a boosting item, especially when your opponent can pick something like Mega Venusaur, Slowbro or Mega Mawile to counter it. (unlike Mienshao and Infernape who can U-turn out against Venu and Slowbro while defeating Mawile -> Flare Blitz OHKOes , High Jump Kick 2HKO)

Mega Scizor - I really like this set. M-Scizor can come in and help to beat Greninja's checks like Ferrothorn and Kyurem-B, which Dragonite also hates. Dragonite also helps to resist Fire attacks which will undoubtedly come M-Scizor's way. It also does not care about Thunder Wave, Knock Off and Power Whip from Ferro. Knock Off is nice to punish Aegislash who walls you otherwise.( U-turn is too weak without a boost)

Mienshao - It's my nomination so I'll let you guys decide whether it's good or otherwise.

EDIT: Included Infernape and Conkeldurr

Last edited:

Mega Gardevoir - Don't really like this set to be honest. You need Gardevoir to be at full health and already Mega-evolved to have it to take on Kyurem-B. Otherwise, 4 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 84 Def Mega Gardevoir: 145-171 (42.7 - 50.4%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
this will happen instead. Sure, you force it out the next turn as you outspeed, but now M-Gard is crippled. If you have not evolved, you will be 2HKO-ed with Stealth Rock if it Fusion Bolts, no questions asked.
Provided that 1) you somehow manage to keep SR off and evolved Gard with Kyurem-B behind a Sub,
then, M-Gard can work.

Mega Scizor - I really like this set. M-Scizor can come in and help to beat Greninja's checks like Ferrothorn and Kyurem-B, which Dragonite also hates. Dragonite also helps to resist Fire attacks which will undoubtedly come M-Scizor's way. It also does not care about Thunder Wave, Knock Off and Power Whip from Ferro. Knock Off is nice to punish Aegislash who walls you otherwise.( U-turn is too weak without a boost)

Mienshao - It's my nomination so I'll let you guys decide whether it's good or otherwise.
You forgot Infernape ;_;

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok coming back from some computer troubles, I've updated the OP and I'm also going to nominate Assault Vest Conkeldurr.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Now here's the thing about Conkeldurr. It absolutely destroys the entirety of Team 1 at the moment. Landorus is OHKOed by Ice Punch on the switch. Kyurem-B is 2HKOed by Drain Punch (essentially OHKOed because of a following Mach Punch) and Ferrothorn is 2HKOed by Drain Punch and can unintentionally give Conkeldurr a Guts boost. So I would say that this is probably the most devastating pick we could choose at this point in time. HOWEVER the issue that comes with Conkeldurr is that it is not very difficult to counter at all. It would be very easy for Team 2 to simply pick Sylveon or Clefable or Mega Venusaur, which would make it almost impossible for Conkeldurr to do much of anything. For that reason, I think it would be an acceptable option to use Poison Jab somewhere on the set (possibly over Mach Punch). While I think it is usually a subpar choice on Conkeldurr, it would dissuade a stereotypical Fairy type from being picked, and Mega Venusaur is, in my opinion, much easier to play around/take advantage of.

I'll close the nominations either tonight or tomorrow, so look out for that.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
then, M-Gard can work.
I can see where you're coming from. The original idea was that Gardevoir would feed off of Greninja's U-Turn since Grenny is the only poke, so far, that Kyurem wants to come in on. Once in, Gard forces all of team 1 so far to have to predict but I do feel I jumped the gun since there are solid hard checks to Gardevoir that Team 1 can abuse later. I may renominate something.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Ok coming back from some computer troubles, I've updated the OP and I'm also going to nominate Assault Vest Conkeldurr.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Now here's the thing about Conkeldurr. It absolutely destroys the entirety of Team 1 at the moment. Landorus is OHKOed by Ice Punch on the switch. Kyurem-B is 2HKOed by Drain Punch (essentially OHKOed because of a following Mach Punch) and Ferrothorn is 2HKOed by Drain Punch and can unintentionally give Conkeldurr a Guts boost. So I would say that this is probably the most devastating pick we could choose at this point in time. HOWEVER the issue that comes with Conkeldurr is that it is not very difficult to counter at all. It would be very easy for Team 2 to simply pick Sylveon or Clefable or Mega Venusaur, which would make it almost impossible for Conkeldurr to do much of anything. For that reason, I think it would be an acceptable option to use Poison Jab somewhere on the set (possibly over Mach Punch). While I think it is usually a subpar choice on Conkeldurr, it would dissuade a stereotypical Fairy type from being picked, and Mega Venusaur is, in my opinion, much easier to play around/take advantage of.

I'll close the nominations either tonight or tomorrow, so look out for that.
The thing is that you don't need Clefable or Sylveon to deal with Conkelldur. Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, Mega Venusaur, Slowbro, Chesnaught, and BU Talonflame can all easily counter Conkelldur. This is not my only problem though, as any Pokemon has some hard counters. My real problem is that Conkeldurr contributes zero to the team when it is hard walled, as the stuff it checks can easily beat it in the long run, due to its lack of any kind of reliable recovery (Drain punch is not reliable when the opponent has hard counters to Conk). This gets even worse considering that many of its hard counter have reliable healing themselves, making them impossible to wear down without support (Mega Scizor, Talonflame, Mega Venusaur, Chesnaught, Slowbro).

For example, Conk is 3HKOed by Kyurem-B's Fusion Bolt, and has a 83.6% chance to be 2HKOed after Stealth Rock from Ice Beam after losing its Assault Vest, which is very possible as Knock Off and Leech Seed are the moves that Ferrothorn will be spamming during the game (no sane person would spam Thunder Wave when the opposing team has Conkeldurr). And even with Assault Vest, Conkeldurr still gets 3HKOed by Ice Beam 90.2% of the time after Stealth Rock. What does this mean? That Conkeldurr will be able to switch into Kyurem-B only once, then get hard countered and forced out, and the next time Kyurem-B comes in it will be able to 2HKO Conk as it switches in. Not to mention that forfeiting Mach Punch is not a good idea imo, as team 1 will certainly choose a fast Pokemon against which Mach Punch will be useful. Hell, it is already useful against weakened Kyurem-B, so that Conk can still kinda check it even when in low health (and i already explained how easy it is to wear down Conk).

tl;dr AV Conk is dead weight when hard countered, and considering the nature of this project it will be countered.

then, M-Gard can work.

Infernape - Boasts the same advantage as Mienshao in being able to check all three of team 1's pokemon. Having a secondary STAB to rely on when Fighting is resisted is also good although the lack of power on non-super effective hits is really telling, making it easier to handle. Won't complain if this is chosen though. (Why use Iron Fist when you hav eno Punching moves? Also, why Hasty over Naive?)

Conkeldurr - Again, destroys all Team 1's pokemon but it is easily counter picked against later. Slow and no reliable recovery means it will be easier to wear down and your don't hit that powerfully without a boosting item, especially when your opponent can pick something like Mega Venusaur, Slowbro or Mega Mawile to counter it. (unlike Mienshao and Infernape who can U-turn out against Venu and Slowbro while defeating Mawile -> Flare Blitz OHKOes , High Jump Kick 2HKO)

EDIT: Included Infernape and Conkeldurr
You didn't mention my Banded Scizor darn it :[

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Ok, it's time for round 6 of voting! Please send me a PM with your top 3 choices in BOTH the subject and the message. Here are the nominations:

LO Infernape
Banded Scizor
LO Keldeo
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Scizor
Specs Magnezone
Sub Magnezone
LO Mienshao
AV Conkeldurr

I will close the voting in two days.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
I'm a terrible person for being so late, but here are the results of Round 6:

Mega Scizor: 8
Banded Scizor: 5
LO Infernape: 4
AV Conkeldurr: 3
LO Mienshao: 3
Sub Magnezone: 2
Specs Magnezone: 2
LO Keldeo: 2
Mega Gardevoir: 1

So Team 2's pick is Mega Scizor! Now, for Round 7, Team 2 will get yet another pick. Let's get some great nominations and discussions going!

Before nominating something, I'd like to briefly discuss what exactly Team 2 needs right now. Essentially, this is an opportunity for us to close some holes in team 2 while also countering any obvious picks that Team 1 will make in the next round.
By that logic, it seems to me that Team 2 needs a fire-type resist urgently - Greninja isn't switching into any powerful attack(resisted or not) and D-Nite needs to stay healthy for Landorus-I. We also have the problem of a pick like DD Char X, which can rip through the team at +1, which is why I'd suggest we opt for a partner with good defensive synergy with Scizor who can also tank a couple of hits if necessary - I would suggest Rotom-W, but the presence of Mold Breaker Cube on the other teams makes that a bad idea - I'll post a submission when I come up with one though.

It's nice to see that we are finally moving on here. Here's my nomination:

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

I chose Nasty Plot Thundurus since it sweeps right through Team 1 after a Nasty Plot boost (although you don't want to Focus Miss against Kyurem-B). It's speed also allows it to check a number of potential picks for Team 1. Thundurus doesn't have much trouble setting up on Landorus and Ferrothorn, and Team 2 has Mega Scizor to set up on Kyurem-B, so I think it makes a good partner with Mega Scizor. While Mega Scizor applies a lot of pressure from the physical side, Thundurus applies pressure from the special side making it very difficult for Team 1 to find a counter for both. I chose Life Orb as the item to make it easier for Thundurus to beat a potential Quagsire pick by Team 1.

Ok, while I feel like Scizor does well against Kyurem, I still feel Ferrothorn will be quite an annoying Pokemon for us to face. As such, I'd like to nominate Infernape once again.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 240 Atk / 16 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Life Orb Infernape, while usually an average Pokemon at best, is actually quite a strong pick for Team 2. It's dual STABs allow it to easily OHKO Ferrothorn and giving us a good chance to OHKO Kyurem-B as well. Hidden Power Ice is there for Landorus-I, OHKOing it with 16 SpA EVs. U-Turn is used in the final slot to switch out on possible counters/checks such as Talonflame while also allowing Infernape to form an effective U-Turn core with Greninja. This will allow us to wear down the opponent's team quite easily, allowing Mega Scizor to more easily sweep. Overall, I still feel Infernape is an effective choice due to its ability to form an effective U-Turn core with Greninja and help wear down the opponent to help assist Mega Scizor in sweeping.

Last edited:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Spd / 240 Atk / 16 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
Fire Blast seems way more useful than Flare Blitz, it still OHKO's Ferrothorn without being incredibly suicidal and is just safer overall. Also, I believe Thunder Punch over U-Turn makes Infernape fare better vs Mega Gyarados (making it a 50/50 on whether he should mega evolve or not) and makes Pokemon like Azumarill or Talonflame think twice about switching in since with the current EV's I believe it OHKO's most Talonflame and does like 70% to Azumarill, allowing Infernape to weaken common checks to Mega Scizor. Also Thunder Punch makes Iron Fist not useless.

Now that I feel we've finally hit that point in the project, I want to remind everyone that just because a mon is normally complete trash in normal gameplay does not make them useless here. Most Pokemon have some sort of a niche in OU that is usable but are utter trash any other time, but this project is where those mons shine. Don't be afraid to nominate trash that actually looks insanely good on paper- chances are it might actually be as good as it looks and force a counter pick by the other team. Infernape is a minor example of this, he can actually blow holes through Team 1 fairly well, despite being normally subpar in OU. There's much worse out there that could find a place in this project. Examples (not relevant to the current teams) of this are things like Golurk in BW2 OU and Quagsire in DPP Ubers. Both are insanely good counters to Terrakion and Kyogre respectively in their metagame, but complete trash otherwise. I am begging you, please do not let all creativity in you die because you think something is completely horrible in OU. That is also not a free invitation to start posting Rampardos because he can OHKO Cube and make your main argument creativity.

tldr: bad things can be good here

I'm probably not going to nominate anything, however I think Heatran is a solid pick here. Good synergy, dragon + fire resist, can take care of fairies, and is Landorus bait for Nite. If someone can come up with a good set for him feel free to nominate him. Keldeo also looks like it can punch some holes on paper. I still really believe the same Mienshao set from last time is a really solid pick, but now we need a fire resist that still has good type matchup synergy with Nite. AV Goodra looks like it could also work but is completely deadweight against Cube if you want to risk that.

Fire Blast seems way more useful than Flare Blitz, it still OHKO's Ferrothorn without being incredibly suicidal and is just safer overall. Also, I believe Thunder Punch over U-Turn makes Infernape fare better vs Mega Gyarados (making it a 50/50 on whether he should mega evolve or not) and makes Pokemon like Azumarill or Talonflame think twice about switching in since with the current EV's I believe it OHKO's most Talonflame and does like 70% to Azumarill, allowing Infernape to weaken common checks to Mega Scizor. Also Thunder Punch makes Iron Fist not useless.
While I do agree with Flare Blitz ---> Fire Blast, I can't say I agree with Thunderpunch. This is because the utility U-Turn bring is far to good to pass up. I mean, if Talonflame switches in on a U-Turn, sure, it does shit damage, but you're now able to switch out into something that can better deal with this Pokemon. Same goes for the other examples of Azumarill and Mega Gyarados, if they are picked. Finally, U-Turn also has the utility of keeping momentum up, something we'd lose with Thunderpunch. I'll switch to Fire Blast, though, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT @ below yep sorry, forgot to change that @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)