Un-Needed Aspects of Pokémon

Ethers not being sold is my personal gripe against Pokemon. It's the number 1 reason that I'm always wary of teaching moves like Close Combat to my Pokemon; if I'm in a cave and run out of PP, I have to either hope there's a doctor or that I'm near the end (assuming I don't have Ethers or Leppa Berries). Leppa Berries do help, but it would be so much more convenient if I could just stroll into a Pokecenter and order up a dozen Ethers.

As for the similar abilities, flavor is the only reason: it would make no sense for Mr. Mime to have Solid Rock as opposed to Filter. In the case of Electivire, Motor Drive serves to fulfill a sort of concept; a moderately slow, powerful Pokemon that can overcome a weak point with an ability. Most ability variations are purely to fit a Pokemon's aesthetics better.

Gamefreak's bizzare need to make evolution items obnoxious to get.

I swear I could write a whole essay on how stupid and dumb it is that I can't just go to a pokemart and just buy these stupid items. ESPECIALLY the trade evolution items.
You either have to steal them off Pokemon (note: only some of the items are stealabe!), hope that some game-specific aspect gives them to you (Black City/White Forest in BW1, BW2's tower/tree giving items (BUT ONLY CERTAIN ITEMS BECAUSE________), the underground in DPt), grind pokemon up for the purpose of pick up, &/or grind for battle points.

To get the most out of some of these evolutions, you already have to put up with getting all the moves you want on them (for stones) and finding someone to trade with (for the rest) so...

Like,really, what is the logic here. Most of them aren't exceptionally amazing enough to warrant such walling off.
DID YOU KNOW that you can't even get Weavile or Gliscor before beating the e4 in XY? There is not a single razor fang or razor claw to be given or found outside the battle maison.
If you're playing DP, I hope you didn't waste your one, single Dubious Disk on a porygon2 you're not happy with!

Gamefreak's bizzare need to make evolution items obnoxious to get.

I swear I could write a whole essay on how stupid and dumb it is that I can't just go to a pokemart and just buy these stupid items. ESPECIALLY the trade evolution items.
You either have to steal them off Pokemon (note: only some of the items are stealabe!), hope that some game-specific aspect gives them to you (Black City/White Forest in BW1, BW2's tower/tree giving items (BUT ONLY CERTAIN ITEMS BECAUSE________), the underground in DPt), grind pokemon up for the purpose of pick up, &/or grind for battle points.

To get the most out of some of these evolutions, you already have to put up with getting all the moves you want on them (for stones) and finding someone to trade with (for the rest) so...

Like,really, what is the logic here. Most of them aren't exceptionally amazing enough to warrant such walling off.
DID YOU KNOW that you can't even get Weavile or Gliscor before beating the e4 in XY? There is not a single razor fang or razor claw to be given or found outside the battle maison.
If you're playing DP, I hope you didn't waste your one, single Dubious Disk on a porygon2 you're not happy with!
This is...beyond words the most agreeable post in this thread. Especially in X/Y with Wonder Trade. I mean, some people might like to give their Pokemon their hold item that lets them evolve as a nice surprise for the person on the receiving end, but you have to grind at the Battle Maison for what amounts to just over a single run of the regular Singles challenge or a few near-perfect runs through the Battle Institute to get one item. Why couldn't they at least make one of each available outside of the Battle Maison, and/or not cost a ton of BP to obtain. (not to mention the Ability Capsule is kind of too expensive to be of much help)

Now...why the heck does rain have to screw up honey and Sweet Scent for calling Horde Battles? They really didn't need to do that. If you want to call up a horde of Zangoose and Seviper to catch one before they KO each other (harder for X thanks to Quick Attack spamming) rain shouldn't prevent you from being able to.

Another one is how hard it is to get Heart Scales in some games-but not others. Example: XY. Whenever i want to teach, say, Fire Punch to my Medicham, I've got to bring a Swords Dancer, a Gyarados with Rain Dance and Dragon Dance, AND my Quiver Dance Lilligant. And then: "Could you show me a Pokemon with Lunar Dance?" Plus Rock Smash gave me 3 heart scales and then nothing; I tried for a solid 2 hours. And all i wanted to do was get fire punch on my stupid Medicham. They should make it buyable from the Battle Maison (at least your mons contribute towards their moves) or bring back the Solaceon Newspaper dude (Lumiose has a newspaper too, so I feel that makes sense)
Meanwhile in Platinum, I'm rolling deep in scales...but I've used a whopping 2 (one to relearn Bullet Punch for Scizor and another to relearn AncientPower for Piloswine)

Another one is how hard it is to get Heart Scales in some games-but not others. Example: XY. Whenever i want to teach, say, Fire Punch to my Medicham, I've got to bring a Swords Dancer, a Gyarados with Rain Dance and Dragon Dance, AND my Quiver Dance Lilligant. And then: "Could you show me a Pokemon with Lunar Dance?" Plus Rock Smash gave me 3 heart scales and then nothing; I tried for a solid 2 hours. And all i wanted to do was get fire punch on my stupid Medicham. They should make it buyable from the Battle Maison (at least your mons contribute towards their moves) or bring back the Solaceon Newspaper dude (Lumiose has a newspaper too, so I feel that makes sense)
Meanwhile in Platinum, I'm rolling deep in scales...but I've used a whopping 2 (one to relearn Bullet Punch for Scizor and another to relearn AncientPower for Piloswine)
I find that most games have pretty easy ways to find Heart Scales. In XY, all you have to do is use Thief on Luvdiscs (you can find them in Cyllage City with the Old Rod 100% of the time iirc). Each one has a 50% chance of holding a Heart Scale. You can even use a Frisk Pokémon with Thief if you want to speed up the process.

Why didn't you just....use the old rod.
Luvdisc are 100% encounters. They hold Heart Scales 50% of the time. Just use thief.

That said, yeah, in games like FRLG its ridiculous since you can only really use Paras which is a rare encounter

You could just accumulate PokeMiles from Wonder Trading breeding spitbacks and then buy Heart Scales with them in Lumiose... Or fish for Luvdisc with the Old Rod and use Thief or Covet like others have mentioned. You'd want to boost your style rating in Lumiose as much as possible anyway to get the remaining Kanto starter Mega Stones for a reasonable price and Hatching Power. I've never had to bother with Tierno, honestly. Still, they could have had a person ask for moves that are less specific than having dance in their name so I can't exactly disagree.

EVENT LEGENDARIES - WTF, Game Freak? I want to complete my Pokédex! Because they're trolls.

Dream World Abilities - So what if I missed the Nintendo Events because I didn't get into Gen 5 until later after everyone else? I want a Magic Bounce Espeon and an Imposter Ditto too! Just make them available through normal gameplay! See above

Regional Pokédex vs National Pokédex - Why not just make every Pokémon obtainable in one game? Like with GSC having all of the RBY Pokémon. Because having a whole Pokedex to choose from for teams does not leave enough space on every route, unless you add 5 regions

Roaming Pokémon - Ugh. It'll take forever just to find one. Especially in FRLG, where the glitch prevents them from ever being encountered again after the first time. See the first one

Bill's PC (pre-RSE) - I filled up a box, so I can't catch any more Pokémon. WHAT!? See above

Protect/Detect/other similar moves - Does nothing except waste a turn pointlessly (in-game. Competitively, obviously, these are quite good moves). Do I really need to say it? See above

Feebas and Milotic (pre-BW) - So I have to randomly get six squares and only those and it's very frustrating to deal with. WHY!? Oh, and PokéBlocks/Poffins necessary to evolve it. Guess I'll never get that Pokédex completion, because I never do Contests because this is BORING. You know my answer alredy

Combee and Vespiquen - REALLY!? Seven out of eight are useless? Ugh. And even the ones that aren't useless end up being useless until Level 21 anyways. Go up

The Name Rater - Not a bad idea, but stupidly implemented. If my friend trades me a Pokémon named "penis" or something, I want to be able to change that. Because of game mechanics, you can't edit a Pokémon's information if its ID and SID don't match yours, else you get a Bad Egg

Nickname Censorship - On the other hand, if I want to name something "penis", a censorship system should not stop me from doing so. Yeah, f-uck you Furfrous FTW

Game Corner (pre-HGSS) - This took forever to actually do anything worthwhile with. HGSS gets a pass due to how much fun Voltorb Flip was, though. I can't believe you liked that fucking piece of shit. I'll rather have Platinum's game corner.

GTS - Make reasonable demands, people. Go to the first one.

Pokémon Bank - I have to PAY to transfer my Pokémon from previous games now!? Short answer: Money

Also, if you pay for Pokemon Bank, then it will be able to be kept online for a lot longer since the people using it are paying to keep it online, not to mention that $5.00 a year is almost nothing.

and they did give out a free trial. and ds and 3ds are unable to communicate so it was the best compromise they could make. the absolutely awful ui is just them trolling though.

Being able to customize your dudes for competitive play is cool, but having all three of IVs, EVs, and Natures is probably just one too many. Having any two of those three would still give players who paid attention and took time to worry about those things a significant competitive advantage over those who didn't.

I would like to nominate the idea of having level 100 as the maximum level. I know it's a nice round number, but having the max level at 80 would have been just fine.

Frustration is also a pointless move as it is only useful like the first 2 battles with a Pokemon
I think Frustration is better than Return, actually. You just have to make sure to keep giving the Pokémon bitter herbs to keep its happiness at 0. But because Return is more common, you're less likely to be screwed over by Imprison. Not to mention that Transform/Imposter does not copy happiness, so if you face a Ditto or a Smeargle with Transform (both of which are very common in VGC), then they can't hit you that hard, since pretty much no one bothers to lower their happiness.

That said, yeah, in games like FRLG its ridiculous since you can only really use Paras which is a rare encounter
That would be why they specifically made Paras appear 100% of the time on Mt. Moon's B1F, as opposed to the original RBY. You'll get a TinyMushroom every 1 in 2 encounters. The troll part though is that you need two of them to relearn a move as opposed to 1 Heart Scale.

I think Frustration is better than Return, actually. You just have to make sure to keep giving the Pokémon bitter herbs to keep its happiness at 0. But because Return is more common, you're less likely to be screwed over by Imprison. Not to mention that Transform/Imposter does not copy happiness, so if you face a Ditto or a Smeargle with Transform (both of which are very common in VGC), then they can't hit you that hard, since pretty much no one bothers to lower their happiness.
... people use Imprison?

Completely serious replies in bold:

EVENT LEGENDARIES - WTF, Game Freak? I want to complete my Pokédex! They want to make money by having you attend promo events where you hopefully buy stuff. But they've eased up on this recently by having Wi-Fi events rather than physical ones, as well as the ability to trade for them over the GTS even if you haven't seen them. And finally, the only tangible rewards you get for completing the Pokedex don't count event legendaries.

Dream World Abilities - So what if I missed the Nintendo Events because I didn't get into Gen 5 until later after everyone else? I want a Magic Bounce Espeon and an Imposter Ditto too! Just make them available through normal gameplay! In B2/W2, they are. Stop complaining.

Regional Pokédex vs National Pokédex - Why not just make every Pokémon obtainable in one game? Like with GSC having all of the RBY Pokémon. Money.

Roaming Pokémon - Ugh. It'll take forever just to find one. Especially in FRLG, where the glitch prevents them from ever being encountered again after the first time. I agree that it sucked in RSE and especially FRLG, but the tracking apps have made this much easier recently.

Bill's PC (pre-RSE) - I filled up a box, so I can't catch any more Pokémon. WHAT!? Switching out boxes takes a LOT of time and memory on primitive hardware. Part of the reason for the Gen II/III incompatibility was so they could completely overhaul this.

Protect/Detect/other similar moves - Does nothing except waste a turn pointlessly (in-game. Competitively, obviously, these are quite good moves). Wasting a turn isn't pointless; it's perfectly legal strategy even in-game for PP stall or Toxic stall and so on. Why aren't you complaining about Splash's pointlessness?

Feebas and Milotic (pre-BW) - So I have to randomly get six squares and only those and it's very frustrating to deal with. WHY!? Oh, and PokéBlocks/Poffins necessary to evolve it. Guess I'll never get that Pokédex completion, because I never do Contests because this is BORING. You don't need to enter any Contests to evolve Feebas. They also made it much easier even in HGSS with the PokeWalker and Daisy's grooming raising Beauty as well as happiness.

Combee and Vespiquen - REALLY!? Seven out of eight are useless? Ugh. And even the ones that aren't useless end up being useless until Level 21 anyways. Did you know you can save and reset in front of a Honey Tree, and the species won't change but all other values including gender will?

The Name Rater - Not a bad idea, but stupidly implemented. If my friend trades me a Pokémon named "penis" or something, I want to be able to change that. I believe Game Freak directly said something about the nickname reflecting the character of the Original Trainer and no one else. Looks like they succeeded.

Nickname Censorship - On the other hand, if I want to name something "penis", a censorship system should not stop me from doing so. This is the main thing I agree with 100%. It actually got worse in X/Y due to censoring any 'bad' word in any language regardless of the language you were playing, causing names like "Viola" to be censored (even though it's a Gym Leader's name!) while "Fuuck" is untouched.

Game Corner (pre-HGSS) - This took forever to actually do anything worthwhile with. HGSS gets a pass due to how much fun Voltorb Flip was, though. Agreed also. How many people don't realize what the numbers mean on Voltorb Flip, and how you can use the exponential payouts to your advantage to gain coins far faster than any slots?

GTS - Make reasonable demands, people. Hardly an 'un-needed' aspect of the game relative to this thread, is it?

Pokémon Bank - I have to PAY to transfer my Pokémon from previous games now!? There was a free trial, and it's not like the fee is $5/month or anything ridiculous. It's not even 50 cents per month. How would you go about securely storing and accessing the data of up to 5 billion+ Pokemon in the cloud?[/B]

I definitely agree that the censorship system needs some reworking. I can see why having a censor would be good, but it suffers seriously from the Scunthorpe problem (the accidental censorship of benign words, seen in Viola, Spike, and the like) and is incredibly easy to circumvent. Any stricter system would ban even more perfectly reasonable names. To be honest, I don't see how any simple algorithm or banlist would be able to prevent people from naming their Pokémon something bad if they put their mind to it.

Thus, I feel that the censorship system should be removed. As much as I dislike naming Pokémon bad words, there's really no way to feasibly pull it off in a manner that is effective with minimal side effects.

On another note, I don't see the point of the Battle Test. It's supposed to test how well you battle, but really the algorithm it uses to determine that is less than stellar. It gives you no prizes for completing it, unlike the Battle Maison.

That would be why they specifically made Paras appear 100% of the time on Mt. Moon's B1F, as opposed to the original RBY. You'll get a TinyMushroom every 1 in 2 encounters. The troll part though is that you need two of them to relearn a move as opposed to 1 Heart Scale.
oh wow, i somehow never knew this

god that would have been useful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)