Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I had this idea before going to bed yesterday, and then waking up to realize its fucking 5 PM and I never overslept like this my entire life:

:mad:
Marowak (Marowakite)
Type: Ground -> Ground / Ghost (it makes sense. he has an ENTIRE backstory about the ghost of his mother, 'could happen to any other species' really isn't an excuse for it not to have a ghost typing)
Abilities: Rock Head / Lightningrod / Battle Armour -> Huge Power
New Moves: buff to Bonemerang: accuracy is 100%, Shadow Sneak, buff to Shadow Punch (also learns it), it now has base 80 power.

60/80/110/50/80/45 (425) -> 60/100/120/50/110/85 (525)
.........................................--/+20/+10/----/+30/+40

Description: Like many have said, Marowak should have Huge Power because of Thick Club. I followed in Mega Mawile's steps when making this, except I gave it a Ghost typing, new good STAB in Shadow Punch and a buff to Bonemerang's accuracy. This won't completely overshadow Mega Mawile because the latter still has a better typing and pretty much same defenses, but lower speed, and slightly higher attack.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh yeah, I also forgot to submit my Hitmonlee:

Hitmonlee
Type: Fighting -> Fighting
Abilities: Limber / Reckless / Unburden -> Reckless
New Moves: -
50/120/53/35/110/87 (455) -> 50/150/73/45/130/107 (555)
..........................................--/+30/+20/+10/+20/+20

Description: This is a simple one, I just took Hitmonlee and buffed its stats. I originally had 160 and 117 base attack and speed but when I did calcs it turned out to be too much for any wall to handle, so I reduced it to 150 and 107 attack and speed, which ensures its easily revenge killed and walls can handle him a bit.

Last edited:
We are not doing submissions right now this is a discussion period not a submissions period. If people continue to submit there will be no more discussion periods and there will just be a day break between submissions.

Wumbtrode
Electric -> Electric
Abilities: Soundproof / Static / Aftermath -> Unstable (all physical moves deal damage using the user's Special Attack stat)
60 HP / 50 Atk / 70 Def / 80 SpA / 80 SpD / 140 Spe | 480 BST ->
60 HP / 40 Atk / 85 Def / 130 SpA / 95 SpD / 170 Spe | 580 BST
New moves: Double-Edge, Ice Ball

I wanted to do something with Mega Electrode that allowed it to utilize Explosion more viably. The first thing you consider about Electrode flavor-wise is that it likes to explode, but with the nerf to Explosion in BW, it's a bad option for Electrode competitively. I considered some kind of ability that allowed it to survive with 1 HP when it used an exploding move with >1 HP left, but competitively, that's not very good, and it seems overly complicated, especially for a game such as Pokemon. Instead, I decided to roll with the Psyshock/Secret Sword idea, but in reverse, where physical moves use the attacker's Special Attack stat. This lets Electrode utilize Explosion once again. It also gives it a priority move in Sucker Punch, which, though seemingly unnecessary, could actually be really good for it. With it, you can pick off other priority users that might try to finish you off before you can use Explosion, and Electrode's movepool is generally bad enough that you can afford to run it despite its enormous Speed stat.

I decided to keep the typing the same because there is no other type that really fits it flavor-wise without changing it drastically. Giving it Normal typing would be cool for STAB Explosion, but it didn't really make much sense to me outside of its competitive use.

Stats are pretty simple. I cut 10 from Electrode's base Attack because it can't use that stat with this ability anyways. I gave it 30 additional Speed despite it being wholly unnecessary because Speed is the second thing you think of when you think about Electrode. It really needed a massive buff to Special Attack if we ever want it to see the light of day competitively, which is where the additional 50 Special Attack came from. From there, I just split the additional 30 in its defenses.

Finally, I gave Electrode Double-Edge for both flavor and competitive reasons. It's kind of like an inferior Boomburst on Electrode, and considering its already mediocre coverage, the move would probably be a viable option for it competitively. Double-Edge also fits Electrode perfectly flavor-wise. The Japanese name for the move is literally "Life-Risking Tackle," and it fits well with the self-destructive nature of Electrode. Ice Ball was given to Electrode because it makes sense flavor-wise and no other reason.
Normal Type kinda makes sense considering that Porygon, another artificial Pokémon, is Normal type. Besides, the idea is all about "Muh Explusionz", and you even gave it Double-Edge, so why not? Awesome mega either way.

About Poison type for Cloyster, there is like a fuckton of poisonous bivalves, and the thing even learns Toxic Spikes, showing a quite strong relationship with Poison. Steel type is would be because their shell is "harder than diamond". Both of them still make more sense than Ghost since Cloyster has like zero Ghost attributes.

Last edited:
Normal Type kinda makes sense considering that Porygon, another artificial Pokémon, is Normal type. Besides, the idea is all about "Muh Explusionz", and you even gave it Double-Edge, so why not? Awesome mega either way.

About Poison type for Cloyster, there is like a fuckton of poisonous bivalves, and the thing even learns Toxic Spikes, showing a quite strong relationship with Poison. Steel type is would be because their shell is "harder than diamond". Both of them still make more sense than Ghost since Cloyster has like zero Ghost attributes.
I think people were saying for Ghost type because it's Pearl/Head looks a lot like Gastly...

I think people were saying for Ghost type because it's Pearl/Head looks a lot like Gastly...
Not enough of a reasons. Like I said, Venusaur and Blastoise have a very similar head, with the same ears, too, yet I don't think someone would advocate for Grass-Water Venu/Blast if megas weren't already done by Gamefreak.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Not enough of a reasons. Like I said, Venusaur and Blastoise have a very similar head, with the same ears, too, yet I don't think someone would advocate for Grass-Water Venu/Blast if megas weren't already done by Gamefreak.
The reason is that Marowak has an entire backstory of it's ghost mother. That's good enough reason. An entire backstory, that no other Pokemon shares.

edit: derp. disregard this post.

Last edited:

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine

This guy disagrees Yes I just went there

In all seriousness though, unless you implement enough flavor into the Pokemon and its mega-evo, a type change isn't happening. Also consider how a type change is not possible in addition to how it's possible. Accounting for both of these things allows you to make a better type change (try have less things with the first part, you don't want an impossible typing)

Forretress learns Toxic Spikes, must be a poison type. A single move is no indication.

As for Steel, that same argument is the only reason I found Rock to be valid. There's nothing for Steel over Rock besides "but only Steel types can be defensive".

Cloyster has Ghost aspects. He floats and he looks like a ghost. Someone made Dewgong a Ghost, and that makes even less sense.

It's not like I'm making him Fire or something. If you really don't like it, just ignore it. Don't get upset.

Forretress learns Toxic Spikes, must be a poison type. A single move is no indication.

As for Steel, that same argument is the only reason I found Rock to be valid. There's nothing for Steel over Rock besides "but only Steel types can be defensive".

Cloyster has Ghost aspects. He floats and he looks like a ghost. Someone made Dewgong a Ghost, and that makes even less sense.

It's not like I'm making him Fire or something. If you really don't like it, just ignore it. Don't get upset.

It does not really float and even then all Water Pokemon float because there is no Water they can swim in when in battle.

As for Poison the reason I made it part Poison type is because Shellder bites with poison into Slowpoke's tail. Shellder evolves into Cloyster so that is where the Poison type comes from.

It can be reasoned to make Cloyster poison type. When Shellder clamps onto a Slowpoke it releases poison into slowpoke's tail/head. Therefore Shellder could be poison type which means that its evolution could be poison type.

I'll admit that an homage is the main point. But it makes more sense than Dark type Hypno.
Hypno has one of the darkest lores of any pokemon It kidnaps children. It was even suggested to have done so to Lostelle in FR/LG.

Dark Type makes perfect sense. It's even called the 'Evil' type by literal translation, and hypnotizing people to do your bidding and kidnapping children seems pretty darn evil.

Right, so, there have been a lot of, ehm, "creative" ideas for these two, with some actually being creative in a sensical way and some being rediculous. Let's go with the good:

-Huge Power Marowak
-Parental Bond Marowak (kind of iffy on this one though)
-Fighting/Ground Marowak
-Skill Link Cloyster
-Technician Cloyster
-Steel/Water Cloyster
-Rock/Water Cloyster

And the bad:

-Poison/Water Cloyster (It learns Toxic Spikes. Woohoo, so do Forretress, Omastar, Cofagrigus, and Greninja. There is little justification for this, none of it valid, and Tentacruel already exists as a Poison/Water spinner)
-Specially Offensive Marowak (It has poor special coverage, none of it being STAB. Just flat out bad)
-Ghost/Ground Marowak (It has ONE FUCKING EVENT in the Gen I games involving a dead Marowak. It knows NO Ghost-type moves, and as a whole has terrible competitive justification)
-Ghost/Water Cloyster (ITS HEAD RESEMBLES A GASTLY? WHOOP-DEE-FUCKING-DO. Terrible idea, sorrynotsorry)

So, let me explain why the good are good:

Thick Club doubles Marowak's attack, and it's his signature item and the only thing that makes Marowak remotely viable. To compensate for item loss, Huge Power is a seamless fit, but for some strange, strange reason, some people aren't happy with that.

Parental Bond is the second best choice, as Cubone's description is all about its dead mother and whatnot (for you Ghost/Ground supporters, this still isn't a good argument for it so stop pls), so a Cubone/Marowak duo ability does make sense here. Not as solid IMO as Huge Power, and it's Mega Kangaskhan's signature deal, but whatever.

Fighting/Ground doesn't really have stellar coverage, as many of them hit similar things for super-effective damage like Steel and Rock and bar Normal and Fire not much else, but it fits pretty well for the "Savage" pokemon. It means it can also stand a chance against Aegislash, but its dual STABs are walled to shit by Gengar.

Skill Link Cloyster. There's no real reason to change this, it's a suberb ability and Cloyster has an outstanding movepool to make use of it. Really, this is the best option for those taking the offensive route with Mega Cloyster.

Technician Cloyster is a decent option, but honestly, it's greatly inferior to Skill Link. It's kind of neat, but why would you go out of your way to make something WORSE? So basically, good option, but outclassed by Skill Link.

Steel/Water Cloyster is the best defensive typing option, as it has a good amount of resistances and Cloyster's insane defense stat could use and abuse this to no end. If the world *really* wants another bulky Rapid Spinner/Hazard Setter, this is the best way to go for that option.

Rock/Water Cloyster is a more offensive route, as it changes the Skill Link STAB from Ice to Rock, which Cloyster could use to play wicked mind games on the opponent. The ability to change its STABs on command could be abused to great effect, and is a cool option to consider.

An honorable mention for Cloyster is the Ice/Rock typing. It messes with the flavor more than the others, but not too much. The Rock typing fits well, and the Ice doesn't change, although Water Typing would be ideal flavorwise. This IS, however, the undeniable MASTER SET OF AWESOME ASSHOLE-POUNDERY, as now Rock Blast AND Icicle Spear are STABs. This is by far the best competitive Cloyster type change, but may not be the overall "best" in the big picture, and is dogshit defensively.

Done with the good. I feel like I covered why the bad is bad well enough, but if you really want me to elaborate, I'll oblige.

aVocado

@ Everstone
-Ghost/Ground Marowak (It has ONE FUCKING EVENT in the Gen I games involving a dead Marowak. It knows NO Ghost-type moves, and as a whole has terrible competitive justification)
It makes as much sense as retyping Gyarados to Water/Dark. That ONE event means a lot, dude. And so what if it learns no Ghost moves? Gyarados literally only has Bite. We can always teach it new moves like a lot other Pokemon/megas.

It makes as much sense as retyping Gyarados to Water/Dark. That ONE event means a lot, dude. And so what if it learns no Ghost moves? Gyarados literally only has Bite. We can always teach it new moves like a lot other Pokemon/megas.
Gyarados is well known for its atrocious rampages, I find Dark being perfect for it flavor wise and competitive wise(the whole change your weakness thing).

I like to think that the Ghost marowak is only the mother of the Marowak we're working on right now, so the latter fits better with a type that shows its frustration for the loss of its mom, such as Fighting or Dark.

Right, right right, I get it. And if people want to vote for it, that's fine.

I just hope they don't. That's my opinion on the matter. Yes, Gyarados got Dark (which I think everyone would agree, that really makes no sense competitively), and Marowak has the backstory thing. But I feel like adding a ghost type would not help it at all COMPETITIVELY, it has the cool event from Gen 1 but it hurts it so much in this meta. Aegislash and Gengar would have a field day with it, as would Bisharp.

I DO, however, thing Ground/Dark would be excellent in both areas. The "Savage" pokemon? Dark type kind of fits the "savage" theme excellently, and is much better competitively (we could patch up his shit speed with STAB Huge Power Sucker Punch, oh my)

^actually that's my idea now, if you fucking steal it I'll find your identity, get your address, and mail you a bag of my own feces.

Right, so, there have been a lot of, ehm, "creative" ideas for these two, with some actually being creative in a sensical way and some being rediculous. Let's go with the good:

-Huge Power Marowak
-Parental Bond Marowak (kind of iffy on this one though)
-Fighting/Ground Marowak
-Skill Link Cloyster
-Technician Cloyster
-Steel/Water Cloyster
-Rock/Water Cloyster

And the bad:

-Poison/Water Cloyster (It learns Toxic Spikes. Woohoo, so do Forretress, Omastar, Cofagrigus, and Greninja. There is little justification for this, none of it valid, and Tentacruel already exists as a Poison/Water spinner)
-Specially Offensive Marowak (It has poor special coverage, none of it being STAB. Just flat out bad)
-Ghost/Water Cloyster (ITS HEAD RESEMBLES A GASTLY? WHOOP-DEE-FUCKING-DO. Terrible idea, sorrynotsorry)

So, let me explain why the good are good:

Thick Club doubles Marowak's attack, and it's his signature item and the only thing that makes Marowak remotely viable. To compensate for item loss, Huge Power is a seamless fit, but for some strange, strange reason, some people aren't happy with that.

Parental Bond is the second best choice, as Cubone's description is all about its dead mother and whatnot (for you Ghost/Ground supporters, this still isn't a good argument for it so stop pls), so a Cubone/Marowak duo ability does make sense here. Not as solid IMO as Huge Power, and it's Mega Kangaskhan's signature deal, but whatever.

Fighting/Ground doesn't really have stellar coverage, as many of them hit similar things for super-effective damage like Steel and Rock and bar Normal and Fire not much else, but it fits pretty well for the "Savage" pokemon. It means it can also stand a chance against Aegislash, but its dual STABs are walled to shit by Gengar.

Skill Link Cloyster. There's no real reason to change this, it's a suberb ability and Cloyster has an outstanding movepool to make use of it. Really, this is the best option for those taking the offensive route with Mega Cloyster.

Technician Cloyster is a decent option, but honestly, it's greatly inferior to Skill Link. It's kind of neat, but why would you go out of your way to make something WORSE? So basically, good option, but outclassed by Skill Link.

Steel/Water Cloyster is the best defensive typing option, as it has a good amount of resistances and Cloyster's insane defense stat could use and abuse this to no end. If the world *really* wants another bulky Rapid Spinner/Hazard Setter, this is the best way to go for that option.

Rock/Water Cloyster is a more offensive route, as it changes the Skill Link STAB from Ice to Rock, which Cloyster could use to play wicked mind games on the opponent. The ability to change its STABs on command could be abused to great effect, and is a cool option to consider.

An honorable mention for Cloyster is the Ice/Rock typing. It messes with the flavor more than the others, but not too much. The Rock typing fits well, and the Ice doesn't change, although Water Typing would be ideal flavorwise. This IS, however, the undeniable MASTER SET OF AWESOME ASSHOLE-POUNDERY, as now Rock Blast AND Icicle Spear are STABs. This is by far the best competitive Cloyster type change, but may not be the overall "best" in the big picture, and is dogshit defensively.

Done with the good. I feel like I covered why the bad is bad well enough, but if you really want me to elaborate, I'll oblige.
Ghost typing on Marowak is more than just that one incredibly well known event in the series. It wears and fights with bones, and if the Pokédex is justification like for everything else, then every Cubone (and therefore Marowak) wear their mother's skull. Who's to say the skull can't be possesed or have some sort of mental link? Makes as much sense as anything.

Plus, we can just give it Ghost attacks. Shadow Sneak is perfect for Marowak with its low speed and high attack. As for Dark... I thought people were getting tired of slapping Dark on everything. So I guess we'll see.

Ghost typing + Bulletproof on Cloyster makes it a pretty good wall. It's essentially immune to Gengar (unless T-bolt but lol) and AFAIK the most common Aegislash set is the one with Shadow Ball so he's a pretty good check to that too. I feel like competitive justification >>> flavour because a lot of the flavour stuff is loosely defined and silly anyways.

About the Poison type Cloyster, Slowking's Dex entries mention multiple times a toxic poison produced by the Shellder that made Slowking's brain grow to extraordinary levels. Plus a fuckton of bivalve species are poisonous, unlike bagworms, ammonites or tree frogs, so there's also that. Not the best retyping in the world but it hardly makes no sense.

About the Poison type Cloyster, Slowking's Dex entries mention multiple times a toxic poison produced by the Shellder that made Slowking's brain grow to extraordinary levels. Plus a fuckton of bivalve species are poisonous, unlike bagworms, ammonites or tree frogs, so there's also that. Not the best retyping in the world but it hardly makes no sense.
I still personally see Steel as forced because everyone thinks we can't have a wall without Steel typing. Water/Steel is unqiue, but I don't see it on Cloyster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)