LC Gastly

Taken over from Shouting
QC: TCR | Kavatika | Hawkstar | Goddess Briyella
GP: fleurdyleurse | --

Overview
########

Gastly is a very powerful special wallbreaker due to its beneficial typing and varied movepool. Its Ghost / Poison typing, in tandem with its ability, gives Gastly an immunity to three attacking types, Spikes, Sticky Web, and resistance to four other types. In addition, Gastly's movepool allows it to perform both offensive and support-oriented roles, although its defensive stats leave much to be desired.

Life Orb
########
name: Life Orb
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Dazzling Gleam
move 4: Substitute / Destiny Bond
ability: Levitate
item: Life Orb
evs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are both great STAB moves, and the latter has a nifty chance to inflict poison. Hidden Power Fighting helps Gastly to KO Pawniard, but Dazzling Gleam hits Scraggy for large amounts of damage. Substitute allows Gastly to bypass Sucker Punch and eliminate Pawniard switch-ins, though Destiny Bond allows Gastly to take a foe when it dies.

Set Details
========

200 Special Attack and 200 Speed EVs max out offensive stats when using Hidden Power Fighting. 80 Special Defense keeps Gastly's HP stat at 19, which minimizes both Substitute and Life Orb recoil, and ensures that Porygon's Download gives it a boost in Atttack. Life Orb allows Gastly to break down walls with ease.

Usage Tips
========

Use Gastly the way you would a revenge killer; it is extremely frail, and shouldn't be switching in much. Gastly is very powerful; however, you should avoid being too agressive. For instance, it won't be OHKOing Pokemon such as defensive Tirtouga or Vullaby. Also, you should be wary of Pokemon with Pursuit when switching out.

Team Options
========

Porygon is an ideal teammate for Gastly, as it can reliably deal with Abra and other special attackers. Fighting- and Fairy-types enjoy Gastly’s ability to reliably beat Trubbish, which is a threat to them. Fighting-types can help Gastly eliminate bulky Normal- and Dark-types. Cottonee and Vullaby are also great partners as they can both weaken and counter Drilbur. Vullaby also beats Psychic-types that threaten Gastly, although Cottonee gives Gastly a free turn to come in by Encoring a move. Knock Off support is greatly appreciated, as being able to rip through more defensive and bulky threats more easily is always useful. Pokemon with Pursuit are great partners with Gastly as well, as they eliminate Ghost- and Psychic-types.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Destiny Bond / Dazzling Gleam
move 4: Trick / Destiny Bond
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
nature: Timid / Modest

Moves
========

Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, which has a good chance to poison targets, are great STAB moves. Hidden Power Fighting nails Pawniard on the switch, while Dazzling Gleam has nice coverage with Shadow Ball, and allows Gastly to eliminate Choice Scarf Scraggy, or Scraggy after it has set up a Dragon Dance. Trick allows Gastly to disrupt walls like Porygon and Vullaby, giving partners such as Scraggy better opportunities to set up. Destiny Bond can be used to beat Pokemon as Gastly faints, allowing it to eliminate a Pokemon who could potentially threaten the rest of your team.

Set Details
========
200 Special Attack and 200 Speed EVs maximize offensive stats when Hidden Power Fighting is used, while 80 Special Defense EVs ensure that Porygon's Download will raise its Attack stat. Choice Scarf allows Gastly to outspeed threats that would normally threaten it, such as Abra and Choice Scarf Pawniard. Modest can be used if you're not using Trick, but if you are, you'll want to have 18 Spe after you lose your Choice Scarf.

Usage Tips
========

Use Gastly as a revenge killer and don't switch it into attacks. Only Trick away your Choice Scarf when you are certain you won't need it any further.

Team Options
========

Scraggy is a great partner for Gastly, as it eliminates many threats Gastly doesn't like to have around, including Psychic- and Dark-types. Scraggy also provides Knock Off support, and enjoys being able to set up more efficiently after Gastly has Tricked its Choice Scarf onto a wall. Vullaby is also a great partner for Gastly, as it also provides Knock Off support, allowing Gastly to rip through more defensive threats, and is a great switch-in for Psychic-types, Fighting-types, and Drilbur. Cottonee is also a great partner, as it reliably counters Drilbur, and gives Gastly free turns to come in when it uses Encore. Fighting- and Dark-types also aid in Gastly's performance, the former by eliminating Dark-types, and the latter by eliminating Psychic- and Ghost-types.

Other Options
########

A Substitute + Disable set can be quite fun to use, just be sure to use Berry Juice as an item. You should split the leftover 116 EVs between Defense and Special Defense; however, if you're using Hidden Power Fighting over Sludge Bomb, put the EVs into HP. Be sure to have Pokemon that can easily deal with Pawniard, who otherwise beats Gastly without difficulty. You can also use Hypnosis on this set over Disable, which is really good against walls. A Substitute + Pain Split set is also viable on Life Orb Gastly. In this case, Gastly should have as little HP as possible, meaning you should split the 116 EVs between Defense and Special Defense.

A Venoshock + Hex set with the use of Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or even Toxic Spikes support can also be used. You'd probably use the same EVs as the Life Orb set, with Venoshock, Hex, Hidden Power Fighting, and either Substitute, Destiny Bond, or even Sucker Punch in the final slot. The item can either be Berry Juice or Life Orb, as both are fantastic options. Thunderbolt and Giga Drain can be used on offensive sets if you would like, but Hidden Power Fighting or Dazzling Gleam are generally superior, and Destiny Bond provides better utility. Icy Wind can also be used on Gastly, but without Gligar around the move has lost its niche. Will-O-Wisp and Hypnosis can be used to surprise your opponents, but given Gastly's extreme frailty, this is better left to bulkier or faster Pokemon. Sucker Punch and Knock Off are also options, but with its mediocre Attack stat, they can easily fall short of being useful. However, with Knock Off on the Life Orb set, you won't need Knock Off support, and Sucker Punch allows Gastly to nail opposing Gastly and Abra before they can hit you. Gastly also has Haze and Clear Smog, but with Gastly's lack of defensive capabilities and Prankster, these should not be used.

Checks and Counters
########

**Chespin**: With its Hidden Ability, Bulletproof, Chespin can easily come in on anything Gastly uses, and wall it without a problem. This allows Chespin to reliably set up Spikes and eliminate Gastly with Payback or Rock Slide after they have been set.

**Drilbur**: With Mold Breaker Earthquake, Drilbur easily threatens Gastly. However, Drilbur will have to be wary, as it is outsped by Gastly and Life Orb Shadow Ball will do quite a lot of damage.

**Stunky**: Gastly definitely has to be wary of Stunky, who easily switches into any set and threatens to KO Gastly with a Dark-type STAB move, like Pursuit when switching out, or Sucker Punch when attacking.

**Pawniard**: Pawniard resists both of Gastly's main attacking moves, but Hidden Power Fighting easily beats it. Pawniard has many moves in its arsenal that eliminate Gastly with ease, and its most used set, Choice Scarf, can easily come and Pursuit trap Gastly. However, because of Hidden Power Fighting, it will still have to switch in with caution.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types threaten Gastly easily, as they resist its main STAB move, Shadow Ball, and some, like Houndour, even have access to Sucker Punch and Pursuit. Vullaby and Scraggy are also very threatening due to their ability to live many of Gastly's attacks bar Dazzling Gleam, and then KO it with Knock Off. Vullaby will still have to be very careful of switching in due to Sludge Bomb, which 2HKOes it, and Dazzling Gleam, which is super effective.

**Priority**: With Gastly's severe frailty, it is easily prone to being KOed by priority attacks from Pawniard, Fletchling, Carvanha, Tirtouga, Stunky, and many other Pokemon. However, thanks to its typing, it is immune to Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Fake Out, Feint, and Extreme Speed. Sucker Punch also fails if Gastly uses a non-attacking move.

**Bulky Special Walls**: Gastly fails to 2HKO Munchlax and Lickitung, and even has trouble with Porygon and Vullaby. Although all of these can also KO Gastly with moves of their own, it is more important to note that they all effectively wall Gastly. Lileep also falls into this category, as it fares just as well against Gastly as the previously mentioned Pokemon; however, it is not immune to Shadow Ball.

**Faster Pokemon**: If you don't have priority that can hit Gastly, Pokemon who outspeed it can also be a decent answer. Meowth, Aipom, Elekid, Abra, Taillow, and plenty of others give Gastly a hard time. However, many of these checks need to be wary of the Choice Scarf set.

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Taunt, Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Will-O-Wisp, Haze, Pain Split, and Icy Wind all have extremely niche uses that might at least warrant placement in Other Options, if only to explain why they're usually not worth it. You could also mention a Venoshock + Hex set with Toxic Spikes support that Sidneyfluff came up with a while ago in Other Options.

Also, I don't think Slowpoke is the best of checks:
252 SpA Life Orb Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Slowpoke: 23-31 (82.1 - 110.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Another possible group of checks would be Pokemon that simply outspeed Gastly, which includes things like Misdreavus and Taillow. Obviously they're not very reliable, but you have Drilbur and Abra up there so idk

Bagon

Banned deucer.
you should probably mention that abra does not outspeed choice scarf. priority like espeed, QA, sucker punch (if sub or trick is used), mach punch, and vacuum wave all fail, which are pretty common.

I can see something like scarf pawniard being the best answer as it outspeeds, and KO's with knock off. the only thing it would need to be wary of is Scarf HP fighting.

Vullaby also cannot switch in most of the time, as a sludge wave/dgleam combo KO's. You say it like Vullaby is an easy counter to gastly, but it needs to predict a shadow ball. after it comes in it still takes quite a bit from dgleam, even if hit by shadow ball. Along with rocks..vullaby is no problem.

I made the above changes. If you feel as though I need more explanation about any of the subjects, just let me know!

Looks good. tbh there's not much to say about Gastly, it's a more powerful, frailer, and slower Misdreavus with STAB Sludge Bomb.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Switch Hp Fight and Dazzling Gleam on the Scarf set. Often Pawniard will switchin off the revenge kill so there isnt much you can do. Its the difference between do you want to possibly beat Pawniard on the switch or do you want to always revenge +1 Scraggy.

QC 1/3

just fix you spacing. you have empty lines after several different headers, usually where you have bullet points. do that and qc 2/3

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
OK

The last sentence in Other Options mentions Prankster Haze completely out of place. Most likely it was butchered up when Murkrow references were removed. Make sure not to transfer that to the actual analysis.

Add Lileep to the "Bulky Special Walls" section of Other Options. It fares just as well against Gastly as Porygon or Lickitung do, though not being immune to Shadow Ball.

Otherwise, this is good.

QC 3/3

I mentioned Prankster Haze there because it doesn't need to have bulk in order to pull that off, but I do see your point.

Hawkstar made changes. I will write this up after I finish my essay.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'd like a Sub + Hypnosis set mention before this gets written up, even if it's just in OO. Possibly something like Sub / Hypnosis / Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb with berry juice: with 18 speed, you outspeed a lot of things, and hypnosis vs walls is really good. Plus, you can just hammer the opponent w/ sludge bomb if you can't sleep something.

apt-get I added in a mention of Sub Hypnosis. Check and see if you like it.

I will get this writtenup next week probably!!

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
  • Porygon should be listed as an ideal teammate for dealing with Abra and Misdreavus, two Pokemon that commonly wreck Gastly. Munchlax, being another bulky Normal type, is unable to take on Misdreavus due to the threat of Will-O-Wisp burn, but can take on Abra without much trouble.
  • Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Fairy-types like Spritzee and Cottonee welcome Gastly as a teammate to deal with Trubbish, which is one of the few Pokemon Gastly is able to wall and overwhelm with force. This is very important and should be added to Team Options.

I have nothing else to add. Very well done. QC 3/3

Edit:
I'm just now noticing that Hawkstar already 3/3ed this, and I was misled because the title still said 2/3 and I'm doing a QC sweep through the forum, but oh well. My edits are relevant anyway; please implement them. 4/3 I guess.

Last edited:
I really want to see Sucker Punch given significantly larger mentions in the LO set, I've found it to be really fucking awesome when using Gastly since it snipes mid Misdreavus and Abra. I used to use Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb / Sucker Punch / Destiny Bond and it was pretty incredible.

um The end there u have Gaston " Lileep is also a decent answer to Gastly, but has to be wary of what attack it is switching in on, because it can take some very hefty damage and only 2hkos Gaston."

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the same line as what the guy above me said, you mention that Munchlax beats Gastly because it Pursuit traps it. Munchlax takes nearly negligible damage from everything that Gastly throws at it. This set is called "Bulky Special Walls." The idea behind should be more how Pokemon wall it than how they're an offensive threat to it. Same with Vullaby and Lickitung, methinks.

196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Lickitung: 9-13 (32.1 - 46.4%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 9-13 (27.2 - 39.3%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 9-13 (34.6 - 50%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Dazzling Gleam vs. 236 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 13-18 (50 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And if you factor in the likelihood of being poisoned, Gastly has a fairly decent shot at winning. :)

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Lickitung: 9-13 (32.1 - 46.4%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 9-13 (27.2 - 39.3%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 9-13 (34.6 - 50%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Dazzling Gleam vs. 236 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 13-18 (50 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And if you factor in the likelihood of being poisoned, Gastly has a fairly decent shot at winning. :)
Haha, no, I'm not disagreeing with you. These Pokemon do wall Gastly. I'm just saying that right now, the comments on them are focused around how these walls can take out Gastly as opposed to how well they can wall off Gastly. It's important that they can damage Gastly, but it's more important that Gastly does little damage to them.

I removed mentions of Misdreavus. Added Stunky into its own separate C&C section, 'cuz Stunky slays. Removed slashes of Dazzling Gleam, and put it in Other Options because HPFight, Sucker Punch, and Destiny Bond are almost always better options. Also, I added VenoHex as a set in Other Options.

Lord Alphose, I edited the Special Walls section.

blarajan, I made more significant mentions of Sucker Punch. Hopefully it satisfies you.

Goddess Briyella, I edited in what you wanted as well, though I did that a while ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)