2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was hodgson I would throw in Gary Neville over Glen Johnson at Rb.

In all seriousness, my England team would be:

-----------------Hart

--Jones---Cahill--------Jagielka---Baines
----------------Gerrard
--------Henderson-----Wilshere

--------Sterling-------Rooney
--------------Sturridge

Basically the closest thing to Liverpool with Rooney playing the Suarez role. Also, 4-3-3 with the CBs splitting when in possession and Gerrard to drop back and dictate play. Gerrard was too far forward against Peru and Henderson was too far back. Henderson is most effective as a box to box player not a holding midfielder in a 4-2-3-1

Ideally, Hodgson should have built his team around Chelsea's defence and Liverpool's attack, since they are both English based and very effective.

england need a proper DM imo. Gareth Barry ^_^
I'm one of Gerrard's biggest critics if you look into this thread but Gerrard has excelled in that role even though I was always against it. His move to a holding midfield position coincided with our 11 wins in a row in the PL.

He looked terrible today because he was playing in a midfield two with Henderson instead of being the sole holding midfielder that is dropping back to form a back three with the CBs that split.

Gerrard isn't particularly good on the defensive side. Good at distributing the ball but a combination of poor positioning and average tackling leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive side of the ball.

Ps- The guardian is reporting liverpool bidding 25mil for lallana. Talk about overpaying. Good player but certainly not worth the 25 mil plus the high wages he is going to get if the deal is done.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Ps- The guardian is reporting liverpool bidding 25mil for lallana. Talk about overpaying. Good player but certainly not worth the 25 mil plus the high wages he is going to get if the deal is done.
probably still agreeing with overpaying, but i genuinely believe that adam lallana is technically the best english player. his touches and awareness and insane. not worth 25mil but if i was a liverpool fan i'd be very happy with the signing.

Would people say we overpaid when we signed Jordan Henderson for £16m? It looked like a terrible move at the time but he's a key player for us now. A lot of people believe we couldn't go on to win the title because of his suspension.

I hope the Lallana moves pans out in a similar manner. I would have paid £15m max but it's not my money. He's going to be useful along with Lambert when we play against teams that park the bus (and there will be a lot of them next year).

Would people say we overpaid when we signed Jordan Henderson for £16m? It looked like a terrible move at the time but he's a key player for us now. A lot of people believe we couldn't go on to win the title because of his suspension.
It was in the beginning regarded as a terrible move but people shouldn't judge so quick when buying young players because they are long term investments. In my opinion, his red card probably costed you the title.

to be fair to Johnson and England how many truly great right backs in the world are there? maybe 4 or 5? Litchensteiner, Azpilcueta, Zabaleta, Lahm when he plays there, maybe you could make a case for Debuchy, Ivanovic and Luis Filipe I guess but they all have weakness in their game.

Its probably the position with the least amount of talent in football.

Last edited:
to be fair to Johnson and England how many truly great right backs in the world are there? maybe 4 or 5? Litchensteiner, Azpilcueta, Zabaleta, Lahm when he plays there, maybe you could make a case for Debuchy, Ivanovic and Luis Filipe I guess but they all have weakness in their game.

Its probably the position with the least amount of talent in football.
Filipe Luis is a Left back. Dani Alves should be in that list and maybe Montoya and Carvajal will be in it in the future.

as for players that'd be better than Johnson as a Right back: Walker, Clyne, Chambers, Flanagan, Jones, Smalling, Naughton, Milner, Cole, Henderson

I would include Juanfran in the best rbs atm.
Spain is really blessed in both lb and rb.

Lampard looks set to join Villa(Spain's Greatest striker) at some American club. Good luck to both.

Dani Alves has been utter crap this season, he isn't remotely good now. Agree Carvajal will be there very soon. Juanfran not Filipe of Atletico got mixed up.

Spain have the best set of full backs in the world probably. Switzerland's first team is up there.

Another highlight reel moment for Torres, he did good in the copa but how did this guy make the world cup squad over Negredo and Llorente.

Last edited:

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
welp, mexico lose a starting offensive mid and our captain rafa marquez due to injuries in a friendly today

god bless whoever thought it was a good fucking idea to have friendlies this close to the world cup

I don't think 25m all things considered is overpaying for Lallana. But he isn't even remotely in Arda's league. Arda is every bit as good as the likes of David Silva and Hazard, if he were English you would be talking at least 40m.

nope, that doesnt matter, used a free bet of £3.50 on USA to win... and they did :D
although I only did that because it forgot to confirm it the first time, when I went for a draw between France and Paraguay..... decided to see what else was there.

and Belgium didn't play Adnan so meh to them.

Various media outlets reporting Fabregas is leaving and Chelsea is a very likely move.

I'd love it if we signed him, even though he's a bellend. Still, I don't think we would sign him because he hates us and Mourinho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)