Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Impish or Careful best for Gourgeist?
Careful remedies the weaker special side, while Impish improves on the better physical side.

Hm, guess no CM set then. I think Latios can pull it off better with his special attack and speed anyway (I have 2 Latios, standard offensive Tricker and one I can use for CM).
Is the Draco/HP Fire/Healing Wish/Defog set one something a Calm one uses?

Also, is Dual Screens/Memento Latios any good? Seems like it can really cripple the opponent and let something set up.
also, bumping

Is Impish or Careful best for Gourgeist?
Careful remedies the weaker special side, while Impish improves on the better physical side.

also, bumping
If you're using Gourgeist, you're going to be wanting to run Speed, so either Timid or Jolly depending on whether or not you're running an attacking move or not. This allowing Gourgiest to set up fast Substitutes on the opponent and stall with Leech Seed / Will-O-Wisp, similar to how Gliscor Toxic stalls. The set I run is 252 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe @ Jolly with Sub/Will-O/Leech Seed/Phantom Force. Allows you to outspeed base 95's. Also this is all for Gourgiest-S, which is the only viable Gourgeist form anyways.

Also if it's Calm Latias it probably isn't worth using tbh.

If you're using Gourgeist, you're going to be wanting to run Speed, so either Timid or Jolly depending on whether or not you're running an attacking move or not. This allowing Gourgiest to set up fast Substitutes on the opponent and stall with Leech Seed / Will-O-Wisp, similar to how Gliscor Toxic stalls. The set I run is 252 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe @ Jolly with Sub/Will-O/Leech Seed/Phantom Force. Allows you to outspeed base 95's. Also this is all for Gourgiest-S, which is the only viable Gourgeist form anyways.

Also if it's Calm Latias it probably isn't worth using tbh.
How is Calm Latias not worth using? Or Gourgeist H to tank hits better? A bit confused as to why you say that.

How is Calm Latias not worth using? Or Gourgeist H to tank hits better? A bit confused as to why you say that.
Calm Latias is not worth using because the only viable set ATM is Offensive LO, which requires a Timid nature to be of any use.

Also Gourgiest huge is weak to a ton of common attacking types. At least Gourgeist-S can stall out a lot of the Pokemon who threaten it due to its Speed. But Gourgeist-H gets off a Will-O-Wisp or Leech Seed maybe and then dies. There's a reason Gourgeist-S received and OU analysis and not Gourgiest-H.

Calm Latias is not worth using because the only viable set ATM is Offensive LO, which requires a Timid nature to be of any use.

Also Gourgiest huge is weak to a ton of common attacking types. At least Gourgeist-S can stall out a lot of the Pokemon who threaten it due to its Speed. But Gourgeist-H gets off a Will-O-Wisp or Leech Seed maybe and then dies. There's a reason Gourgeist-S received and OU analysis and not Gourgiest-H.
Ah I see. Also, isn't Latios the better offensive Timid option?
Latias can do things like Defog, screen, CM, healing wish.

Can anyone give me a rundown on basic core typing? I`ve seen one in a thread not long ago....Ones i knew so far is F/W/G, and Dragon/Steel/Fairy.

Ah I see. Also, isn't Latios the better offensive Timid option?
Latias can do things like Defog, screen, CM, healing wish.
Well, both Latios and Latias do those things bar Healing Wish. Calm Mind Latias is bad atm, and dual Screen is outclassed by Latios due to its access to Memento. Defog and Healing Wish are the two things Latias does well, and it wants to be as fast as possible to pull these off. Also, Latios is not necessarily the better Timid option due to its lack of Healing Wish and worse bulk.

I'd go Will-O-Wisp over Pain Split, but it's really up to you. Other than that, looks good.
Another question on synergy. I can either run Cresselia as Bold Mixed wall with moonlight and lunar dance to recover my D-NIte, and run Assault vest Conk to cover her dark weakness/ provide priority stab mach punch, or runSnorlax@Assault Vest with 252 HP, and spread the other 252+remaining between attack and sp def, since he already gets a boosts to sp def with assault vest.

Thick fat so he can tank fire attacks aimed at scizor, and ice attacks aimed at Dnite. Then I can run Gliscor to cover his fighting weakness, setup rocks to capitalize on VoltTurn, and provide an electric/ground immunity.

So basically Mixed Wall Cresselia as Mixed wall and Assault Vest Conk vs Assault Vest Snorlax as special tank/wall and SR Gliscor as setup/ defensive wall. Cant decide what pair is better for my team.

Heres the current draft-

Char Y

Rotom@Specs

Scizor@Band

D-Nite@ Weakness Policy?? Might replace it since good players know to break scale first. If I replace Cress and lose Lunar Dance support, I could give him Lum for status healing

Then obviously the Cress/ Conk combo or the Snor/ Gliscor Pair

Thanks for any insight on this draft

Can anyone give me a rundown on basic core typing? I`ve seen one in a thread not long ago....Ones i knew so far is F/W/G, and Dragon/Steel/Fairy.
Well, a core is a pair of two or three Pokemon who have great offensive or defensive synergy, they cover each others weaknesses and beat each others counters. One infamous core is the FWG core, which consists of a blend of one Fire-, Water-, and Grass-Pokemon, which have great synergy together. An example of a popular Defensive core is Heatran (F) / Quagsire (W) / Mega Venusaur (G). You can read more about this here, which goes in-depth to explain this core. Many popular cores include Gothitelle + Set-up sweeper, and Keldeo + Landorus + Tyranitar. Read the thread I linked too for in-depth guides to many different cores! Hope this helps :)!

The most used Char X DD set is Jolly or Adamant? What EVs?
Adamant is usually preferred, as it's already quite fast after a DD, though Jolly is nice for Speed tying with base 100s if max Speed is used. Bulky Dragon Dance uses a spread of 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 Spd to outpace Greninja at +1 while also retaining good bulk, while Offensive Dragon Dance uses a much more standard spread of 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe for the most power and Speed possible.

Hey guys running a Volt Turn team with either Scizor/Jolteon or Scizor/Rotom W. Ill have Assault Vest Thick Fat Snorlax so im not sure if i need the slower rotom to tank water fire hits for scizor and might just run specs jolteon for speed.

So for a Vot Turn team, with Char Y and Dnite, should I run defensive Gliscor with U-Turn and Stealth Rock@ Toxic Orb Poison Heal? Or Landorus -T as an offensive check with intimidate and the same U-Turn/ Stealth Rock.

I know Glisc is more defensive while Landorus doesnt have as much sustainability,byt who can tank a physical hit better. Gliscor with its defenses and Poison Heal/ Protect stall, or Landorus T with Intimidate and Leftovers

Hey guys running a Volt Turn team with either Scizor/Jolteon or Scizor/Rotom W. Ill have Assault Vest Thick Fat Snorlax so im not sure if i need the slower rotom to tank water fire hits for scizor and might just run specs jolteon for speed.

So for a Vot Turn team, with Char Y and Dnite, should I run defensive Gliscor with U-Turn and Stealth Rock@ Toxic Orb Poison Heal? Or Landorus -T as an offensive check with intimidate and the same U-Turn/ Stealth Rock.

I know Glisc is more defensive while Landorus doesnt have as much sustainability,byt who can tank a physical hit better. Gliscor with its defenses and Poison Heal/ Protect stall, or Landorus T with Intimidate and Leftovers
Gliscor is worse than Landorus-T in every set other than SubToxic thanks to Intimidate, much higher power, and better coverage options, among other things. Definitely go with Landorus-T. Also, Jolteon is absolutely terrible in OU, so I would strongly advise against using it. It's good in RU though!

Firstly, don't use Jolteon, as it's heavily outclassed by Raikou, Mega Manectric, Mega Ampharos, and even Magnezone as a Volt Switch user. This is due to Jolteon's frailty and poor movepool compared to other Pokemon. It's also not very strong, at only 110 base Special Attack, which isn't very good in general. Just by getting a feel for your team, I feel as though Rotom-W may be helpful for its additional bulk, Water-typing, and access to Will-O-Wisp. Though as you've said, with walls such as AV Snorlax and Landorus-T, I don't think you need a defensive variant. I'd consider Choice Scarf, as with Trick it can cripple unsuspecting walls and still function effectively.

Definitely run Landorus-T, that thing was literally born for VoltTurn teams, mainly due to its high Speed. Gliscor's best sets don't have room for U-Turn, anyways.

Because Gliscor has to run so much Speed to be effective, Landorus-T tends to take hits better.

Overall, though, I'm not sure AV Snorlax would be a good idea on a Volt Turn team, as well as Charizard Y. I may consider losing these two to add Mega Manectric instead of Rotom-W, and then adding an additional wallbreaker such as Choice Specs Keldeo. That way you'd have three Volt Turn users, a wallbreaker, a late-game cleaner, and then an open spot for something else (Probably a hazard remover such as Choice Scarf Excadrill, as VoltTurn teams tend to despise hazards.)

I'm working on a team for Mega Ampharos, but I've hit a wall looking at teammates.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 4 SAtk / 64 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic

I picked Skarmory for a Hazard setter and Physical tank, while Sylveon is my Cleric/Special Tank. Problem is that both of them cause my team to lose all momentum, but I'm having trouble thinking of Pokemon that still support Mega Amp and Keldeo well while handling offensive presence.

I could drop one or the other (more likely Sylveon) but not both. Any recommendations?

P.S. if this is the wrong thread, apologies. Didn't think this should be RMT since the team isn't finished.

Firstly, don't use Jolteon, as it's heavily outclassed by Raikou, Mega Manectric, Mega Ampharos, and even Magnezone as a Volt Switch user. This is due to Jolteon's frailty and poor movepool compared to other Pokemon. It's also not very strong, at only 110 base Special Attack, which isn't very good in general. Just by getting a feel for your team, I feel as though Rotom-W may be helpful for its additional bulk, Water-typing, and access to Will-O-Wisp. Though as you've said, with walls such as AV Snorlax and Landorus-T, I don't think you need a defensive variant. I'd consider Choice Scarf, as with Trick it can cripple unsuspecting walls and still function effectively.

Definitely run Landorus-T, that thing was literally born for VoltTurn teams, mainly due to its high Speed. Gliscor's best sets don't have room for U-Turn, anyways.

Because Gliscor has to run so much Speed to be effective, Landorus-T tends to take hits better.

Overall, though, I'm not sure AV Snorlax would be a good idea on a Volt Turn team, as well as Charizard Y. I may consider losing these two to add Mega Manectric instead of Rotom-W, and then adding an additional wallbreaker such as Choice Specs Keldeo. That way you'd have three Volt Turn users, a wallbreaker, a late-game cleaner, and then an open spot for something else (Probably a hazard remover such as Choice Scarf Excadrill, as VoltTurn teams tend to despise hazards.)
Aah very good points. Charizard Y is my main team focus, so I may have mispoken when I said making a VoltTurn team, I mean I want to add VoltTurn to my team. Heres the draft im thinking about running.

Charizard Y
Dragonite@Lum
Rotom W@Specs for Power, or Scarf for Weak Fast attacks/switches
Scizor@Choice Band
Conkeldurr@Assault Vest
Gliscor or Landorus T for Stealth Rock/ U-Turn

So main points, should I run Landorus T for offensive presence/ speed or Gliscor to add more bulk to my rather offensive team. Secondly, bulky 252 Hp 252 sp atk choice specs rotom w seems great for slow powerful volt switches that can safely bring in dragonite, although scarf seesm great too to outspeed and bring in a resistant type'd pokemon although scarf seems too weak on a base 107 sp atk pokemon.

Bottom line- Gliscor vs Landorus-T for stealth rock/ u turn, and Choice Specs/ 252 hp vs choice scarf 252 speed on a 252 sp atk rotom for a great pivot.

Aah very good points. Charizard Y is my main team focus, so I may have mispoken when I said making a VoltTurn team, I mean I want to add VoltTurn to my team. Heres the draft im thinking about running.

Charizard Y
Dragonite@Lum
Rotom W@Specs for Power, or Scarf for Weak Fast attacks/switches
Scizor@Choice Band
Conkeldurr@Assault Vest
Gliscor or Landorus T for Stealth Rock/ U-Turn

So main points, should I run Landorus T for offensive presence/ speed or Gliscor to add more bulk to my rather offensive team. Secondly, bulky 252 Hp 252 sp atk choice specs rotom w seems great for slow powerful volt switches that can safely bring in dragonite, although scarf seesm great too to outspeed and bring in a resistant type'd pokemon although scarf seems too weak on a base 107 sp atk pokemon.

Bottom line- Gliscor vs Landorus-T for stealth rock/ u turn, and Choice Specs/ 252 hp vs choice scarf 252 speed on a 252 sp atk rotom for a great pivot.
If you are planning on building around Charizard Y, then I'd highly recommend you check out this guide; it's written by a skilled player and was archived for its great in depth explanation on how to build around Charizard Y.

Also if you decide not to use the process show in the guide, I'm going to tell you right now you're going to need some Rapid Spin or Defog support or that team will fall flat on its face.

If you are planning on building around Charizard Y, then I'd highly recommend you check out this guide; it's written by a skilled player and was archived for its great in depth explanation on how to build around Charizard Y.

Also if you decide not to use the process show in the guide, I'm going to tell you right now you're going to need some Rapid Spin or Defog support or that team will fall flat on its face.
Haha youre exactly right, thats why I have Defog on my Scizor. To clear rocks for char and preserve dnites multiscale. About to check out that guide. So is Rotom-W a solid choice for a volt switcher on my team? Still cant decide between slow powerful specs, weak fast scarf, or bulky leftovers

Haha youre exactly right, thats why I have Defog on my Scizor. To clear rocks for char and preserve dnites multiscale. About to check out that guide. So is Rotom-W a solid choice for a volt switcher on my team? Still cant decide between slow powerful specs, weak fast scarf, or bulky leftovers
Defog on Choice Band Scizor really is not optimal. You're going to want to be using U-Turn 95% of the time early to mid game, and being Choice locked into Defog absolutely kills your momentum by doing this. Really, Conkeldurr is close to unnecessary on this team, and should be switched out for a more reliable Rapid Spin / Defog user.

Also, I would probably recommend Choice Scarf, since it doesn't seem like the bulk is all that necessary with Landorus-T on the team.

And yeah make sure you go Landorus-T and not Gliscor.

Defog on Choice Band Scizor really is not optimal. You're going to want to be using U-Turn 95% of the time early to mid game, and being Choice locked into Defog absolutely kills your momentum by doing this. Really, Conkeldurr is close to unnecessary on this team, and should be switched out for a more reliable Rapid Spin / Defog user.

Also, I would probably recommend Choice Scarf, since it doesn't seem like the bulk is all that necessary with Landorus-T on the team.

And yeah make sure you go Landorus-T and not Gliscor.
Good call on Landorus-T, another defog/ rapid spinner would be dead weight on a team like this I agree, choice band scizor isnt the best option for defog, but I need it somewhere and scizor provides aenough switch outs that I could easily pull off a defog. Also with my choice band and ev spread he doesnt like to stay in for more than one turn at a time. Like the speed of scarf buut definately need bulk considering Landorus cant take all the water/ fire attacks aimed at scizor that bulky rotom would.

Besides another rapid spinner, what would be a good replacement for Conkeldurr? I like him for his rock resistance to help charizard, and his moveset is deadly with recovery in darin punch and huge bulk with AV

Good call on Landorus-T, another defog/ rapid spinner would be dead weight on a team like this I agree, choice band scizor isnt the best option for defog, but I need it somewhere and scizor provides aenough switch outs that I could easily pull off a defog. Also with my choice band and ev spread he doesnt like to stay in for more than one turn at a time. Like the speed of scarf buut definately need bulk considering Landorus cant take all the water/ fire attacks aimed at scizor that bulky rotom would.

Besides another rapid spinner, what would be a good replacement for Conkeldurr? I like him for his rock resistance to help charizard, and his moveset is deadly with recovery in darin punch and huge bulk with AV
Hi. I think the RMT (Rate My Team) Forum is another good place for advice on a team :)

Excadrill and Latios/Latias don't seem like they'd necessarily be dead weight for your team. Choice Band Scizor with Defog is a very bad idea because after you use Defog the first time, the next time you use it, the opposing team will likely predict you and switch in a Bisharp or Thundurus, receiving a +2 boost to their attack for free. After that, the rest of your team has to not only deal with a +2 Knock Off or Wild Charge because you have to switch out, but also either a Bisharp with super-strong priority or an extremely powerful fast Thundurus. Since you're team is taking a more balanced approach (meaning that Latios/Latias/Excadrill won't be quite as effective) Zapdos or Mandibuzz might be better choices.

Like mentioned in the post that LightningLuxray linked to you, Keldeo is the best choice for a Fighting-type Charizard Y partner. However, if you don't like the water stacking with Rotom-W (which isn't really that big of a deal but whatever), something like Lucario or Infernape could work. It would be a good idea to take a look at the Rotom-W and Landorus-T mentions (Slot 5 and Slot 6) on the page he linked you as well, to fully understand why they make good partners for Charizard Y. They also form a good Volt-Turn core.

I underlined the parts that were most important in case tl; dr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)