The future of home console Pokémon

Will battle games such as Pokémon Stadium or Pokémon Battle Revolution be discontinued?

• Total voters

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I'm talking about Pokémon Stadium (2) and Pokémon Battle Revolution. Where it was incredible because you could battle your Pokémon in 3D. However, with Pokémon X&Y last year, handheld Pokémon is now 3D. So what does this mean for home console Pokémon? Well, you can decide. The obvious options would be they just discontinue stadium-esque games and stick to other less-canon games like... Poké Park... The other option is that they do what The Pokémon Company did back in 2002 and make Pokémon Colosseum-esque games, with a fantastic story mode but also a regular stadium mode. Finally, they could just make story mode games and cut the battle mode altogether.

So, what do you think could happen to home console Pokémon now that handheld Pokémon has turned 3D?

I seriously hope Nintendo will make more Pokémon games in Colosseum-style. I absolutely loved Colosseum. Still need to play XD some time, though it's quite expensive and my Gamecube controllers are dead :(

Regarding Stadium and the likes; I never really got the appeal about them; to me, the best part about Pokémon is forming your team and going on an adventure. The battling is fun, but not what makes Pokémon Pokémon, if you ask me. Now that you can battle online and in 3D, I don't know if I see another Pokémon Stadium happening.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gamefreak will have to put in a real effort to come up with a console title for the WiiU. I don't watch Stadium/Colosseum style, I want actual handheld Pokemon taken and turned into 3D in a big world with some tweaks to the basics. This will sound very cliche, but think Skyrim, just obviously not as big.

I want real-time Pokemon encounters, and an action-RPG style gameplay where you control of your Pokemon and give it commands.

Basically, Pokemon MMO lel.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
... Colosseum/XD then?
Touchè. I actually contradicted myself pretty hard there, since whay I want isn't even that similar to the handheld pokemon.

Knowing GF and Nintendo though, they'll pretty much never make what I want, or what the others fan want, which is a rich, big Pokemon game on the consoles with real-time Pokemon encounters.

I've heard a lot of speculation that there will be Pokemon Snap 2 on the Wii U. Which should put to bed the legions of people proclaiming how the first one was a masterpiece without even playing it. (A bit hypocritical there: I've never played it myself.)

I don't see why they would stop making 3D Pokemon games for home consoles. Sure Pokemon X and Y are in 3D so the main reason to make them is no longer a real reason but does that really matter. There is more to Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD Gale Of Darkness then just seeing your Pokemon in 3D. However we might not see another 3D Pokemon game because Pokemon Battle Revolution kind of sucked which could mean the end of 3D Pokemon games on consoles.

Still do hope we will get Pokemon Stadium or Pokemon Gamecube games remakes once.

I think something that might work would be a pokemon game with action battles, not turn-based ones, but otherwise like a pokemon game (maybe SSBB, stamina mode-like battles, but without attacks that easily KO the foe by knocking them off).

I think something that might work would be a pokemon game with action battles, not turn-based ones, but otherwise like a pokemon game (maybe SSBB, stamina mode-like battles, but without attacks that easily KO the foe by knocking them off).
That makes me think of that one preview Gamefreak showed with that Lucario fighting a Blaziken. Still hope we'll get that game once.

I also feel any further Pokemon stuff on Wii U will use these NFC figurines, since we've already had a taste of it with Pokemon Rumble U and Nintendo seems to be jumping on the Skylanders bandwagon.

That makes me think of that one preview Gamefreak showed with that Lucario fighting a Blaziken. Still hope we'll get that game once.
You mean Pokken Fighters? You should check out the fan-made game Pokemon: Type Wild some time - which is basically the same thing only with a kind of anime art style. (Not actually played it myself though, just seen videos, but it looks beautiful.)

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Pokemon stadium(s) and battle revolution shouldnt be compared at all; pokemon stadium had a lot of things that made it a lot better: being able to choose mon by mon if you didnt had a pokemon red/blue/etc, the stadium and gym castle modes were great, the minigames are fun too and its overall a better game than battle revolution.
About home console games, there will always be the dream of having a pokemon stadium 3(no more battle revolution please, it was outright boring) but its very unlikely to happen as having 600+(idek how many mons exist atm...) mons will make it harder to play, as making the team would take a while and having a lot of different possibilities to face would make it hard to play, unless they made it as a gen 6 only game?
It is more likely for another pokepark or pokemon colosseum game to happen, the latter would be awesome as i really enjoyed both colosseum and xd

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I've heard a lot of speculation that there will be Pokemon Snap 2 on the Wii U. Which should put to bed the legions of people proclaiming how the first one was a masterpiece without even playing it. (A bit hypocritical there: I've never played it myself.)
It was a masterpeice. And now an absolute cult classic. There aren't many flaws with Snap to be honest... It's a very different take on an "on rails" shooter. The WiiU would be perfect (As well as the 3DS) for a remake or 2nd game.

I liked PBR to be honest, the game modes were often challenging but lacking minigames ruined it for me compared to the Stadium games (Hitmontop Beyblades and Classroom Clefairy were the best). I probably spent more time in the minigames than I did in the stadium modes...

Colosseum and XD were a very different take on Pokemon. Colo for sure was a much darker, edgier storyline than the main Pokemon games, and I think that was reflected very well in the cast/storyline. I wouldn't mind seeing another game of this type (but dear god give us more Pokemon options). With the advent of Pokebank, we have no need for a "game" along the lines of Ranch either. Europe didnt even get the Platinum update for that which was fairly dissapointing.

As for the future of the home games... I think it's rather hit and miss. Nintendo knows Pokemon sells consoles, but they are booming in the handheld market. They would have to do something very different to what X and Y can now provide to get people interested in buying the game.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not a fan of Battle Revolution, though yes, being the first to random WiFi is worth noting, probably because I went into it thinking I was getting the next Stadium. And to an extent, I guess we got it, but when you look through the battle modes they just feel lacking. You really are limited even more than Stadium if you aren't using cartridge Pokemon, and then they give you modes where you basically play roulette and might get stuck with a Shock Wave Plusle against your own Garchomp or something dumb like that. That tower where fog shows up half the time isn't exactly good either, you're basically stuck running a weather team.

I can imagine that list of rentals for any possible Stadium 3 would get really long, but being able to figure out which ones could get you through modes that literally were about trying to strategize without too many gimmicks like that were what I liked about the Stadium series. Stadium 2 had some good things you wouldn't expect: Kadabra was incredible for Psychic and ThunderPunch. I think with time people would be able to come up with something to deal with even the many Pokemon we might have to face today. Remember, each stadium round only has 48 Pokemon to face, not the full roster. Also note that Stadium 2 started Little Cup, which I'm quite thankful for. The minigames there were fun but isn't what sold it to me, at least not more recently when I got back into playing them.

One more thing: Pokemon Snap was awesome. Seriously, it's hard not to love being able to take pictures of an Electrode mid-Explosion.

Of course, I imagine Nintendo, if they make another console Pokemon game, making it more like XD or Colosseum than what I'd hope for. I don't mind either of those games but I have a feeling they really don't want to bring back Stadium, even though I'm sure it would be very doable. There seems to be a lot of people hoping for a console RPG and that's probably what they'd try to make.

As far as lesser-known console games go, I really did enjoy the first Pokemon Rumble game, the one that was downloadable for Wii and had only Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon, and the 3DS sequel was pretty good, but the recently released Wii U one was just awful. I doubt that series has much of a future, particularly with the improvements in main-series games.

As far as lesser-known console games go, I really did enjoy the first Pokemon Rumble game, the one that was downloadable for Wii and had only Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon, and the 3DS sequel was pretty good, but the recently released Wii U one was just awful. I doubt that series has much of a future, particularly with the improvements in main-series games.
Agreed about Pokemon Rumble U, though I will confess it was fun for like an hour or so (or, to put it another way, the entire playtime of Pokemon Snap :p) as bonding time with my younger brother (he bought it not me). Still, for the £14 ($18) it costs, you could buy yourself Rayman Legends, for example. No contest.

Still, I will forgive Pokemon Rumble U as it was Nintendo's first foray into these NFC figurines I've been hearing so much about. So the jury's out depending on which way the figurines go and how exploitatively Nintendo uses them. If I end up being forced to pay through the nose for these figurines just to compete on a level playing field in Super Smash Bros U then I'm disowning Rumble U.

By the by, on my Pokemon Snap trash talk, I really had no idea quite how much this game sold: 2.7 million copies, the 14th most on the N64, and 500,000 more units than Banjo-Kazooie managed. Wow. Also I never knew it had a VC release, maybe I'll check it out some time.

Out of curiosity, since a lot of people view Battle Revolution as not worth it, would would you consider it worth?

Do you think a half, or even quarter normal price game which is just online battling/local battling/battle videos, but with to scale models, more grandiose animations and better graphics would be something people would buy? considering people brought pokedex3d pro for like 12 quid, so

That said though, what I really want to see is a much more fleshed out PBR/stadium style game, with a Pokémon World Tournament meets Gym Leader castle mode, modes matching the various Battle Frontier facilities, and online modes for Single, Double etc., plus Little, Inverse and Sky Battles. Ideally it would be designed to be played after the elite four was beaten: I found one of PBR's greatest weaknesses was that earlier rounds held absolutely no challenge unless you were only half way through the storyline on the hand-held game.

To date, XD is one of my favorite pokemon games. While it seems redundant to make a 3D battling game when we already have X and Y, the other features the games brought to the table (shadow pokemon, Johto starters in a gen where they were extremly rare, minigames, etc.) really made it a breath of fresh air. PBR was cool in that it allowed you to link up with your handheld, but lackluster and stale overall. What they need to do is make another Colosseum/XD that incorporates more connectivity with the handhelds and has its own quirks to make the game interesting.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who liked Battle Revolution. Although I understand that it has a lack of content, it had some of the most fun battles I have ever done: the Masters Battles. To date, I don't think we have ever had anything like it, where the trainers actually use strategies that range from gimmicky (Belly Drum + Psych Up, Fling spam, PP stalling with Pressure and Spite) to somewhat viable (Guts + Toxic Orb + Facade... Ursaring, Skill Swap + Regigigas) to actual strategies used in competitive battling such as Sand and Trick Room. The models were meh, although the attack animations were absolutely beautiful. Not to mention, the announcer was the best thing ever. If they were to make Pokemon Stadium 3, I hope they bring the Masters Battle back.

I doubt they will make them again. PBR got bad reviews and both Colosseum and XD only sold about two million copies together versus Ruby and Sapphire which sold 16 million copies of the game along with the six million copies that Pokemon Emerald sold.

My dream Pokemon Stadium game would be one where you could make your own PokeCup/Gym Leader Castle and challenge people online to beat it. Of course you'd probably have to complete damn near everything in the main game to access that, but it'd still be worth it.

I feel like I'm one of the few people who liked Battle Revolution. Although I understand that it has a lack of content, it had some of the most fun battles I have ever done: the Masters Battles. To date, I don't think we have ever had anything like it, where the trainers actually use strategies that range from gimmicky (Belly Drum + Psych Up, Fling spam, PP stalling with Pressure and Spite) to somewhat viable (Guts + Toxic Orb + Facade... Ursaring, Skill Swap + Regigigas) to actual strategies used in competitive battling such as Sand and Trick Room. The models were meh, although the attack animations were absolutely beautiful. Not to mention, the announcer was the best thing ever. If they were to make Pokemon Stadium 3, I hope they bring the Masters Battle back.
If they were to incorporate the good elements of PBR into an XD or XY type game, they would have a huge success.

If GF took the plunge and made a real time action game spinoff, or maybe a low delay RPG like KOTOR, they might have a huge success. Perhaps even a Wii U system seller.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)