Clawitzer [QC: 0/3]

Claw deformity?

QC Checks:
GP Checks:

Overview
########
  • Great coverage
  • Nice typing
  • Is somewhat better than Mega Blastoise because it can hold Choice items and doesn't occupy Mega slot
  • Extremely powerful with specs
  • Fantastic ability in Mega Launcher
  • Has access to U-turn which can be somewhat helpful
  • Bulk isn't that great
  • Very slow
  • Faces competition with Mega Blastoise

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Water Pulse / Scald
move 2: Aura Sphere
move 3: Ice Beam / Dark Pulse
move 4: Sludge Wave / U-turn / Dragon Pulse
ability: Mega Launcher
item: Choice Specs
evs: 252 SpA / 248 HP / 8 SpDef
nature: Modest

Moves
========
  • Water Pulse is main STAB and is used over Surf because it has same power with Mega Launcher and has added chance of confusion
  • Scald is only 10 less power and has handy 30% chance to burn
  • Aura Sphere provides really nice coverage while also boosted by Mega Launcher and hits Umbreon
  • Ice Beam, while not boosted by Mega Launcher, deals super effective damage to Grass-types
  • Dark Pulse is boosted by Mega Launcher and gives a little more coverage
  • Dragon Pulse is helpful for Kingdra but only use it if nothing else on your team can Check / Counter Kingdra
  • Sludge Wave hits Florges for super effective damage
  • U-turn for momentum for team

Set Details
========
  • Mega Launcher combined with Specs does shitloads
  • Max SpA does even more shitloads
  • 248 HP because it's pointless investing in Speed as Clawitzer is so slow; gives a little extra bulk which can be helpful
  • 8 SpDef cos where else would you put it
  • Modest nature to increase power

Usage Tips
========
  • Basically just use it to deal heaps of damage to the opponent
  • Can be used to clean up end-game but only if the opponent is slower or Clawitzer can survive 1 or 2 attacks
  • You need to predict a bit with this set because it uses Choice Specs; if you're planning to use Water Pulse but you see a Grass-type on the opponent's team, you might want to rethink your decision.

Team Options
========
  • Sticky Web users like Galvantula really help Clawitzer, allowing it to outspeed a lot more things can defeat them
  • Galvantula also resists Grass-types and can hit Water-types super effectively, but isn't really important because Clawitzer has Ice Beam although hitting Water-types super effectively is definitely helpful
  • Although Galvantula can hit Water-types suer effectively, Water / Ground-types like Swampert or Gastrodon can be a problem so Grass-types like Shaymin are really helpful
  • Trick Room Pokemon
Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
item: Assault Vest
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Moves
========
  • Water Pulse is main STAB and is used over Surf because it has same power with Mega Launcher and has added chance of confusion
  • Scald is only 10 less power and has handy 30% chance to burn
  • Aura Sphere provides really nice coverage while also boosted by Mega Launcher
  • Ice Beam, while not boosted by Mega Launcher, deals super effective damage to Grass-types
  • Dark Pulse is boosted by Mega Launcher and gives a little more coverage
  • Dragon Pulse is helpful for Kingdra but only use it if nothing else on your team can Check / Counter Kingdra
  • Sludge Wave hits Florges for super effective damage
  • U-turn for momentum for team
Set Details
========
  • Assault Vest increases longevity and allows it to switch moves
  • 248 HP, 252 SpA and 4 SpD further increases bulk while increasing power
  • Modest increases power even more

Usage Tips
========
  • Come in on Special Attackers that can't really do much to it (Slowbro etc.) and either scare them out or just kill them
  • Can sometimes be used to clean up endgame

Team Options
========
  • Sticky Web support turns it into an incredibly dangerous fast bulky sweeper.
  • Anything that can check / counter bulky water types, ideally Grass-types, some Electric-types etc.

Other Options
########
  • A Choice Scarf + U-turn combo can be used, but the damage loss without Specs is noticeable, it's still pretty slow with Choice Scarf, and U-turn takes up a valuable moveslot. On the flip side, Scarf makes Clawitzer a much better end-game sweeper, and U-turn can provide momentum to your team.
  • Physical set can be used with A Choice Band / Scarf, Crabhammer, Aqua Jet (which is really helpful because it's priority), Rock Slide and U-turn. While 73 Attack isn't catastrophically bad, it's hardly impressive and even with investment and a Band it's a little underwhelming. Clawitzer also loses its coverage a bit with this set. However, this set certainly has the surprise factor, has priority which is extremely useful, and U-turn also provides more powerful momentum than the Scarf set. This set can also be used with Swords Dance, but keep in mind if you're running Swords Dance you shouldn't have a Choice item.
  • Ebelt because of its wild variety of coverage

Checks & Counters
########

**Water-types**: Prominent Water-types, notably Swampert and Vaporeon, can be a threat to Clawitzer (when given a free switch-in); the former receiving neutral damage from all of Clawitzer's moves and 2HKOing back with Earthquake, while the latter can stall out with Toxic, Wish and Protect or just slowly wittle away Clawitzer's health with Scald.

**Kingdra**: 4x resisting Clawitzer's main STAB, and without Dragon Pulse, Kingdra tanks Clawitzer and can proceed to set up the infamous CritDra set or just simply Draco Meteor

**Specially Defensive Walls / Assault Vest Users**: Specially Defensive Walls, such as Florges, or Assault Vest users like Machamp, wall Clawitzer and can hit back with Moonblast or DynamicPunch respectively. In Florges's case, however, Sludge Wave can be used to hit for super effective damage.

**Powerful Attackers**: Pokemon that can hit hard, like Victini or Heracross, while not normally being able to safely switch into Clawitzer, can still deal impressive amounts of damage with their STAB attacks

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Not QC or anything, but Hydro Pump should be slashed with Water Pulse due to it having greater power at the cost of accuracy. Grass-types should be in C&C because Shaymin can outspeed and OHKO. Mention in the Overview that Clawitzer faces competition with Mega Blastoise and why you would want to use it over Mega Blastoise (mainly because Clawitzer can hold items like Choice Specs). Mention Swords Dance in OO (you have Scarf and Band there, so might as well). Looking over the current set, Clawitzer is walled by Florges.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Water Pulse vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 141-166 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Because of this, I think Sludge Bomb/Wave deserves a slash. It does just enough damage to Florges to warrant its use.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 188-222 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
The move order should be like this:
move 1: Water Pulse
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Aura Sphere
I basically copy and pasted this from the Mega Blastoise analysis because they are pretty much the same, but I only included the moves you have so far. Sludge Bomb/Wave could be slashed next to Dark Pulse while Hydro Pump should be slashed before Water Pulse. In C&C, I would include hard-hitting Pokemon like Victini and Heracross because while most can't switch in safely, they can still deal a lot of damage to Clawitzer. I would also include Assault Vest users like Machamp in C&C because most can take an attack and threaten it.

Not QC or anything, but Hydro Pump should be slashed with Water Pulse due to it having greater power at the cost of accuracy. Grass-types should be in C&C because Shaymin can outspeed and OHKO. Mention in the Overview that Clawitzer faces competition with Mega Blastoise and why you would want to use it over Mega Blastoise (mainly because Clawitzer can hold items like Choice Specs). Mention Swords Dance in OO (you have Scarf and Band there, so might as well). Looking over the current set, Clawitzer is walled by Florges.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Water Pulse vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 141-166 (39.1 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Because of this, I think Sludge Bomb/Wave deserves a slash. It does just enough damage to Florges to warrant its use.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Clawitzer Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 188-222 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
The move order should be like this:
move 1: Water Pulse
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Aura Sphere
I basically copy and pasted this from the Mega Blastoise analysis because they are pretty much the same, but I only included the moves you have so far. Sludge Bomb/Wave could be slashed next to Dark Pulse while Hydro Pump should be slashed before Water Pulse. In C&C, I would include hard-hitting Pokemon like Victini and Heracross because while most can't switch in safely, they can still deal a lot of damage to Clawitzer. I would also include Assault Vest users like Machamp in C&C because most can take an attack and threaten it.
Thank you - this is exactly what I was looking for!

I have used Clawitzer a lot in both UU and RU and i know for a fact it doesn't get hydro pump and scald is the better option anyway. A 30% burm chance is more useful than a 20% chance of confusion. U-turn should be the only move in the last slot as it is the best thing it has over megastoise (bar the no mega stone thinghy) so
Move 1: Scald
Move 2: Ice Beam / Aura Sphere
Move 3: Dark Pulse / Aura Sphere
Move 4: U-Turn

With Choice Specs as an Item
Water pulse and Dragon Pulse along with Sludge bomb go in moves. Mention a fast spread with 4 special attacks too but the slow one with U-Turn is the best in my opinion.

I agree with everything else galbia said, but I still think the slashes should be

Move 1: Water Pulse / Scald
Move 2: Aura Sphere
Move 3: Dark Pulse / Ice Beam
Move 4: U-Turn / Dragon Pulse

I'm 50/50 on Water Pulse and Scald (iirc it did get some important KOs)

Also no LO mention in OO?

I agree with everything else galbia said, but I still think the slashes should be

Move 1: Water Pulse / Scald
Move 2: Aura Sphere
Move 3: Dark Pulse / Ice Beam
Move 4: U-Turn / Dragon Pulse

I'm 50/50 on Water Pulse and Scald (iirc it did get some important KOs)

Also no LO mention in OO?
You might want to mention that life orb shouldn't be used as clawitzer it too slow and will have to take a hit so it outclassed by specs. Ebelt should be mentioned tho.
I'm iffy about Dragon Pulse mentioned as the only move i'd use over U-Turn is sludge wave (along with speed investment) to outspeed and 2hko florges

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A neat set is AV Clawitzer:

Assault Vest
########
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

imo, it should get a set below Choice Specs. It plays remarkably differently due to the AV, and it has overall greater survivability with it. You can probably work out the purpose of all of the moves.

Also, just for the record, the moves should also look identical to this on the specs set imo.

Mention that Ice Beam hits Flygon for huge damage when explaining Ice Beam on both sets.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I have no idea why I thought Clawitzer learned Hydro Pump. Sorry for the false information. Either way, Sludge Wave seems like a very important slash just because of how common Florges is. Sludge Wave should not be a main slash if you add an Assault Vest set because it just doesn't hit Florges hard enough and that's really the only reason why it's there.

I have no idea why I thought Clawitzer learned Hydro Pump. Sorry for the false information.
Don't worry, this is my fault. I should've checked first :P.
A neat set is AV Clawitzer:

Assault Vest
########
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

imo, it should get a set below Choice Specs. It plays remarkably differently due to the AV, and it has overall greater survivability with it. You can probably work out the purpose of all of the moves.

Also, just for the record, the moves should also look identical to this on the specs set imo.

Mention that Ice Beam hits Flygon for huge damage when explaining Ice Beam on both sets.
Calloflochie did suggest to me this on IRC, I just never got around to it. Thanks!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You're missing 4 EVs on the AV set. Just chuck them into SpD or HP.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not QC but maybe in the overview state that one of the other benefits of Clawitzer is it doesn't occupy your Mega Slot allowing you to use some other Mega Evolution, since otherwise ya may as well be using Blastoise? You can also list that Aura Sphere allows Clawitzer to break through Umbreon. In fact speaking of Umbreon, Clawitzer actually outruns it with only 52 Speed EVs. Maybe a spread of 200 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe Modest can be used instead, or at least mentioned? And 132 Speed can be mentioned since that's enough needed to outrun Florges, though that spread's not applicable much unless you run Sludge Bomb/Wave, and it seriously cuts into its bulk. Even with the Speed investment for Umbreon or Florges, Clawitzer still has a very slow U-turn, should you also choose to run that

edit: Oh yeah and I think Team Options can also list Trick Room Pokemon such as Aromatisse, Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, and Porygon2. Clawitzer's slow to the point that Trick Room support is a heavily viable option. As a result it also outperforms Blastoise under TR since it's outspeeding pretty much almost everything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)