Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found that it's based on EVs. Are you sure they had the same soccer ball style shot thing? (No idea what you'd call it) My guess is they both shoot different soccer balls which score differently...
Oooh do you mean the color of the soccer ball? I always wondered how that's determined. Maybe related to Rilan's point about species.

I think it's based on the Pokémon you pick. They're kind of like the Pokeathlon stats, each species shares the same statpool. I have a handful of Volcaronas; some flawless, some far from. In the end, after EV training, they seem to score similarly, almost 2k points for each charged shot(green). Yeah, EVs do influence how you score. They scale higher as you gather more, being more effective if you aim for Attack/Sp. Attack. Same goes for how Speed influences shot and movement speed. The Defenses I believe just weaken shots against you, I haven't been hit much though.
Yeah you're probably right. According to online guides, attack / sp attack = higher scores, defense / sp defense = faster shield recharge, speed = shot and movement, and hp = fewer points lost if soccer balls hit you. I haven't seen a totally comprehensive guide though.

I actually don't think legendaries are necessarily better at this. Talonflame outscores Mewtwo, for one, and none of my pokemon ever hit above even 500 points. The secret levels were pretty hard and took me a while to clear. My strategy is just to hit (without charging) as often as possible to hit the point threshold before the balloon bots / soccer balls drain too many points.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oooh do you mean the color of the soccer ball? I always wondered how that's determined. Maybe related to Rilan's point about species.

Yeah you're probably right. According to online guides, attack / sp attack = higher scores, defense / sp defense = faster shield recharge, speed = shot and movement, and hp = fewer points lost if soccer balls hit you. I haven't seen a totally comprehensive guide though.

I actually don't think legendaries are necessarily better at this. Talonflame outscores Mewtwo, for one, and none of my pokemon ever hit above even 500 points. The secret levels were pretty hard and took me a while to clear. My strategy is just to hit (without charging) as often as possible to hit the point threshold before the balloon bots / soccer balls drain too many points.
Yeah that's what I was trying to say. Each Pokemon has a different coloured soccer ball. Off the top of my head you've got the rapid fire ball, the big ball, standard and maybe another (?). Point is they all score differently. I would go for a Pokemon with the big ball shot (orange I think) which scores the most per shot. Have either attack stat and also speed maxed and go for glory. I've found that getting a good score doesn't necessarily get you a good prize (evolution stone etc) either, it's pretty random. Although a good score would obviously help. You've just gotta grind it out

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
When does daytime end in x and y? I'm trying to evolve my riolu, and I know it has max happiness (it won't eat anymore grepa berries). It's 8:10 pm here... (please don't tell me I missed the cut-off by 10 minutes...)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When does daytime end in x and y? I'm trying to evolve my riolu, and I know it has max happiness (it won't eat anymore grepa berries). It's 8:10 pm here... (please don't tell me I missed the cut-off by 10 minutes...)
Unfortunately you did

Aww, man. Thanks for letting me know. :(
incidentally
Morning 4:00 AM - 9:59 AM
Day 11:00 AM - 5:59 PM
Evening 6:00 PM - 7:59 PM
Night 8:00 PM - 3:59 AM

its been ages since i've evolved a riolu, but evening might not have worked either. So dont feel too bad

incidentally
Morning 4:00 AM - 9:59 AM
Day 11:00 AM - 5:59 PM
Evening 6:00 PM - 7:59 PM
Night 8:00 PM - 3:59 AM

its been ages since i've evolved a riolu, but evening might not have worked either. So dont feel too bad
Ive been breeding for Roserades recently and I've had Budews evolve at 9am and 7pm, despite the fact that they are supposedly a daytime only evolution. So not sure what to make of that.

Been breeding for shinies and I've been accessing the PC a lot. I'm just now looking at some of its features in XY. Anyone know what the complete function of each of the cursor settings? I have a basic gist of what Red and Green do, but not much for the Blue setting.

Also, breeding fodder has been filling up most of my boxes, including my Bank boxes. Is there a way to "mass release" Pokémon from the PC or Bank?

Been breeding for shinies and I've been accessing the PC a lot. I'm just now looking at some of its features in XY. Anyone know what the complete function of each of the cursor settings? I have a basic gist of what Red and Green do, but not much for the Blue setting.

Also, breeding fodder has been filling up most of my boxes, including my Bank boxes. Is there a way to "mass release" Pokémon from the PC or Bank?
The blue option, iirc, just lets you immediately pick up a 'mon without all those options (such as Summary, Item, Release, or Mark). It can save a bit of time when you want to swap out, say, your whole team for other 'mons.

As for releasing masses of Pokemon, I'm afraid the only way to do it is one-by-one (unless you have a Powersaves device - I hear there's an option to delete boxes or something like that). 21st Century and 6th generation of Pokemon, and yet we still have to do stuff by hand...

I have a female Milotic with the Competitive ability. I've been breeding it for hours and haven't got a single Feebas with Adaptability. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've tried it with a Blastoise, Ditto and a Feebas and none of them have worked.

I have a female Milotic with the Competitive ability. I've been breeding it for hours and haven't got a single Feebas with Adaptability. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've tried it with a Blastoise, Ditto and a Feebas and none of them have worked.
Adaptability is the hidden ability for Feebas while Competitive isn't for Milotic. (it's Cute Charm) Oblivious is the desired ability for Feebas to get another Competitive Milotic.

I need some help with using Trick Teams in the battle tower for PTHGSS.

I understand the idea behind it is that you trick a Choice Scarf onto a Pokemon, cripple it with T-Wave/Flash/Charm/ect, then swap out to a Pokemon with Sub + Boosting move and then just have a massacre of a sweep at +6.

Here's the problem though, I'm not so concrete on when exactly is the best time to trick and when is not. Some Pokemon would OHKO Latias and that leaves the other two mons somewhat vunerable, or sometimes the Pokemon doesn't mind the trick scarf at all.

Do I need to predict better then? What's the general rule of thumb for using the tactic, if it can kill Latias, don't Trick it the scarf? There's gotta be something that I'm missing, seeing as the top 5 teams on Smogon all use Trick mons, with two using Latias, one using Cresselia, one with Uxie and one with Mesprit and have streaks of at least 500.

If it's any help, here's my team. I (shamelessly) copied the Latias from Peterko's team, but Lucario is unique enough. And of course, the quintessential Garchomp.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Trick/Thunder-Wave/Charm/Recover
244 HP/204 DEF/60 SPE

Lucario @ Leftovers
Modest
Aura Sphere/Flash Cannon/Calm Mind/Substitute
4 HP/252 SPA/252 SPE

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Jolly
Outrage/Earthquake/Swords Dance/Substitute
4HP/252 ATK/252SPE

If I need to change up my team, that's not an issue as I've got all the games so I can get any Pokemon I wish.

Thanks.

I need some help with using Trick Teams in the battle tower for PTHGSS.

I understand the idea behind it is that you trick a Choice Scarf onto a Pokemon, cripple it with T-Wave/Flash/Charm/ect, then swap out to a Pokemon with Sub + Boosting move and then just have a massacre of a sweep at +6.

Here's the problem though, I'm not so concrete on when exactly is the best time to trick and when is not. Some Pokemon would OHKO Latias and that leaves the other two mons somewhat vunerable, or sometimes the Pokemon doesn't mind the trick scarf at all.

Do I need to predict better then? What's the general rule of thumb for using the tactic, if it can kill Latias, don't Trick it the scarf? There's gotta be something that I'm missing, seeing as the top 5 teams on Smogon all use Trick mons, with two using Latias, one using Cresselia, one with Uxie and one with Mesprit and have streaks of at least 500.

If it's any help, here's my team. I (shamelessly) copied the Latias from Peterko's team, but Lucario is unique enough. And of course, the quintessential Garchomp.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Trick/Thunder-Wave/Charm/Recover
244 HP/204 DEF/60 SPE

Lucario @ Leftovers
Modest
Aura Sphere/Flash Cannon/Calm Mind/Substitute
4 HP/252 SPA/252 SPE

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Jolly
Outrage/Earthquake/Swords Dance/Substitute
4HP/252 ATK/252SPE

If I need to change up my team, that's not an issue as I've got all the games so I can get any Pokemon I wish.

Thanks.
I used a TrickScarf team (thanks Smogon veterans! :3) when I was trying to get all the Battle Tower ribbons. Since Gen 4 Wi-Fi has shut down, I'm assuming you're just going for the normal BT streak. Disclaimer: definitely not an expert, although I did successfully clear HGSS Battle Tower with my team, especially the Wi-Fi room, which was extremely difficult.

Something I learned the hard way is that yes, Trick shouldn't always be your first move. Obviously ideally you'd catch the first pokemon on a status move or something harmless, but that doesn't always happen. Latias' job IMO is to cripple the opponent's first mon so that your other two can set up and sweep. Most of the time Trick does the job but other time Charm and occasionally T-wave work better. For example, what if your opponent throws out an ice type that OHKO or 2HKO Latias? (Has happened to me.) What if your opponent leads with a choiced pokemon or their own Trick mon? (Not sure if that happens in regular BT.)

My team is the same as yours, BTW, except I used a bulky Scizor instead of special attacking Lucario (Adamant, can dig up the spread if you are interested, SD + Roost + Sub + Bullet Punch). I found that Scizor's bulk + access to Roost allows it to set up in the event that Latias goes down too early. I wonder if part of the issue with your Lucario is that CM sets up too slowly since you need 6 turns to fully set up, giving your opponent more time to break or wear down your sub, and if you're going to be primarily attacking you might not need the SpD buff anyway. Nasty Plot Lucario or SD Lucario might work better.

Or use Scizor. You'd be surprised how bulky Scizor can be. I used Lucario before I bred my Scizor but found his bulk lacking.

Good luck!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is flying pokemon always weak to ice?
Yes, unless the Flying Pokemon is Flying/Fire, Flying/Ice, Flying/Steel or Flying/Water, then they're x1 effected by Ice. Flying/Water is x4 weak to Freeze-Dry, which is an Ice move that's super effective against water types (and since flying is weak to ice it's x4 against flying/water.)

Alright, so I have 2 Eevees that I want to evolve. What should I evolve them into (If anything)
note: both were given to me, so that's why I'm unsure of what to do with them
Eevee 1:
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Nature: Timid
Shiny?: Yes
Egg Moves: Wish, Yawn, Curse
Ability: Run Away

Eevee 2:
IVs: xx/31/31/31/31/31
Nature: Bold
Egg Moves: Covet, Yawn, Wish
Ability: Anticipation

(Thinking about breeding Eevee 2 so it would have 6IVs/5ivs -Attack)
Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:
Alright, so I have 2 Eevees that I want to evolve. What should I evolve them into (If anything)

Eevee 1:
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Nature: Timid
Egg Moves: Wish, Yawn, Curse
Ability: Run Away

Eevee 2:
IVs: xx/31/31/31/31/31
Nature: Bold
Egg Moves: Covet, Yawn, Wish
Ability: Anticipation

(Thinking about re-breeding Eevee 2 so it would have 6IVs/5ivs -Attack)
Thanks for the help in advance!
Start by knowing what you want and breed for it, not the other way around.

From where you are now, it won't take long to breed any eevee you like. So what do you actually want?

Start by knowing what you want and breed for it, not the other way around.

From where you are now, it won't take long to breed any eevee you like. So what do you actually want?
I didn't breed them, I received them as gifts :P
Maybe I should of mentioned that.
Oh, and Eevee 1 is shiny, so that kinda prevents me from breeding it (Because when the hell am I going to get another 6IV Shiny?)
and I don really KNOW what. I want, I just mostly wanted a reccomendadtion of what to evolve it into.
(I guess I could make an Espeon/Jolteon out of Eevee 1 and a Vaporeon out of Eevee 2)
Edit: I also noticed that I worded the first post like I bred them. Whoops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)