Abomasnow [2/3]

idk why this hasn't been checked, it's well written with a lot of detail.
  • remove subseed / hail turn mention from overview
  • move mentions of ice beam etc from set details to moves
  • get rid of subseed mention in set details entirely, you're slow, have many weaknesses, sr weak, and hail gets stalled out for blizzard
  • could prob elaborate on c&c a bit more
2/3 lets see this written

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'm gonna question's this thing's viability in the OU metagame again. Seriously though why would someone ever use this thing on an OU team? It has a complete garbage defensive typing which gives it a weakness to 7 types, all commonly seen in OU, on top of its weakness to Stealth Rock and susceptibility to Spikes. Its complete garbage Speed wouldn't be as much of a problem if it had more useful resistances and less weaknesses, but due to that fact that it's almost always going to have to take a hit to before it can get one off, it's most likely that something will carry a move that can hit it super effectively. It has good bulk, but again it's very easy to wear down especially if it uses Wood Hammer and its ass defensive typing and terrible Speed means that it won't be staying around for long. The only time I can ever see any sane person even consider using Mega Abomasnow is if it's on a dedicated Trick Room team, which isn't the great playstyle anyway and honestly I would rather use Mega Mawile lol.

CyclicCompound stated that it's useful for its ability to destroy stall, which is far from the truth lol. Yeah he said this in March, but the point still stands; Chansey completely laughs at it. Even an invested Wood Hammer isn't going to even come close to 2HKOing it. Even defensive Zard X can easily take an EQ or Blizzard if need be and burn it with Wisp or just outright kill it. Offense just has a heyday with it, as so many things carry a super effective move to hit it. Although Ice Shard lets it check a few prominent threats, I honestly don't think that nearly enough to make it worth using. I hate using the "takes up a mega slot" argument, but when it really comes down to it, Mega Aboma faces so much competition for that slot it's not even funny. It has very specific niches that aren't enough to warrant it a spot on a team.

All in all, I don't think this thing deserves it analysis. It has way too many crippling flaws to consider Mega Aboma a good choiceon any decent team.

Last edited:
Yes, but I am on vacation so I won't be able to finish this until maybe the end of June sadly.
I will post about this things viability later as it's viability but it's still horrible lol.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes, but I am on vacation so I won't be able to finish this until maybe the end of June sadly.
I will post about this things viability later as it's viability but it's still horrible lol.
That's not very reassuring lol. I don't think something should get an analysis just because it CAN be viable, but for the most part is a terrible Pokemon. Take Mantine for instance. It's actually marginally viable on some stall teams because of its ability to check the ever living hell out of all variants of master stallbreaker Landorus and annoying Keldeo, but outside of those really niche scenarios, Mantine is extremely subpar and wouldn't see use anywhere else, and it doesn't have an analysis just for that niche. What makes Abomasnow any different? I'm not saying Aboma is as niche as Mantine, my point is that Pokemon shouldn't get an analysis unless there niche is good enough to make them more useful than horrible, and Mega Aboma is just straight garbage despite the fact that with a lot of support it can be somewhat usable. QC has rejected Pokemon such as Celebi and Jirachi that definitely have niches in the metagame but have far too many flaws to make them worth while. I honestly can't see how Mega Aboma is more deserving of one than Celebi or Jirachi lol.

Two and a half months later and my opinion on this thing really hasn't changed. I just want to back Gary2346 up on this for the reasons he has mentioned (as well as myself on the last page). Sure, Mega Abomasnow can work, but is there really a serious reason to use it? Is it really worth it as a wallbreaker when it has so many weaknesses, is so insanely slow (what does it even outun, Ferrothorn?), has no real recovery to compliment its good bulk, and still struggles to actually break stall when Chansey cockblocks it? There are several other wallbreakers that can boast similar or greater damage output along with far greater speed and fewer weaknesses, and many of them don't take away your ability to use another Mega Pokemon.

I've said this before in another thread, but the QC standard has essentially gone from "Is this thing usable?" (which I think Mega Abomasnow is) to "Is this thing worth putting on a serious team?" (which I think Mega Abomasnow is not). I can't imagine why I would want to use it on a team outside of gimmicks, so while I'm not on the QC team, I would like to back up the notion that Mega Abomasnow is not worth the analysis.

Abomasnow can check some Pokemon pretty well, but these are Pokemon that aren't that difficult to check anyway, and because of its low Speed and numerous weaknesses, almost any offensive Pokemon can threaten it greatly and get free turns on it. It's also not as strong as you'd like it to be because of its lack of an item, and even on Trick Room, which is arguably its biggest niche, it faces competition and will almost always stack more weaknesses. On top of this, it has a much higher opportunity cost than a lot of other mediocre Pokemon because it takes up your Mega Slot. The teams that it does work well on, it's too specialized of a role to receive an analysis.

QC Rejected 1/3

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I supported this thing before but a large part of Mega Abomasnow's viability lay in the fact that the premier bulwark of stall in the initial XY OU metagame (Mega Venusaur) had a hard time dealing with it, and Chansey wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. However, recently, Mega Charizard X has been found to be much better on stall most of the time, and it's a lot less friendly to Mega Abomasnow than Mega Venusaur ever was. Furthermore, Chansey rose to nearly 15% usage, and it's basically mandatory now on most forms of stall. So Mega Abomasnow's stallbreaking role has largely been diminished, if not eliminated completely.

Trick Room is the only strategy I'd consider using this on but even then I'd rather use Mega Mawile most of the time.

Agent Gibbs' observation about QC standards is also correct—we're trying to cut down on questionable or borderline viable Pokemon receiving analyses, and frankly, Mega Abomasnow doesn't really make the cut. Swamp Link and Gary2346 made very good points about what holds Mega Abomasnow back.

Sorry, Vertex, but I'm going to have to reject this as well.

QC Rejected 2/3

meh there's not much use for mega aboma :X

maybe if it wasn't sr weak, it'd have a shot

qc reject 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)