Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't mind Lightningrod all that much, I mean a Sp.A booster is kinda nice, plus an immunity to Thunder Wave. But what I don't understand is... how does that work flavour-wise? Perhaps the red-tip of its tail is made of metal?
Yeah, I didn't get Lightningrod at first either, but Stellar explained it in Orange Islands IRC channel:

(1:56:37 PM) Stellar: why do people say lightningrod makes no sense on sceptile
(1:56:45 PM) Stellar: its tail now looks like an evergreen
(1:56:50 PM) Stellar: and it has a lightningrod at its top
(1:56:59 PM) Stellar: putting lightningrods on tall trees to protect from storms
(1:57:05 PM) Stellar: is common...
This is how.

Lightning Rod on Sceptile seems super useless. Already quad resists Electric type attacks...Should've just gave it Contrary + Draco Meteor + Leaf Storm.
The key is now it completely shuts down things like Thunder Wave and Volt Switch. And gets +1 special attack, which is nice in general.
It will probably be more useful in doubles since it will draw in the attacks

My thoughts...

The new designs look kinda bad, but that's no surprise as it's the same with all the other Mega Evolutions, which are basically just the same as they were before except with as many "cool" new features stuck on as possible (usually random spikes). Even the better looking Mega Evolutions like Mega Charizard X have lame features like that blue flame frothing out of its mouth.

As for the competitive side, it's a mixed bag but it's definitely an interesting development. Wonder if more Mega Evolutions will follow.

Swampert's new ability is uninspired. Swift Swim is so boring. Game Freak are showing yet again that they're all about Double battles now, and even blatantly defensive Pokémon like Swampert are getting offensively inclined Megas. Something like Dry Skin would have been way more interesting. Seismitoad's niche in OU has also just pretty much evaporated.

Sceptile looks very interesting, Grass/Dragon is a cool typing and it's a great answer to Rotom-W and other Volt Switch spammers. Again the ability is clearly chosen with Doubles in mind but it's still good. It looks we'll be having yet another 4x Ice weak Dragon type on our hands, though.

The most interesting thing here for me is that it might finally break Thundurus's hold on the metagame. Two new speedy attackers that don't care about priority Thunder Wave forces people to think outside the box instead of just slapping Thundurus on for Speed control (to an extent anyway... Sceptile is just more Talonflame bait). The new Megas also really fear Mamoswine, which destroys Sceptile with Ice Shard, Swampert with Freeze Dry and Diancie with Earthquake, so if nothing else changes there'll be a lot more of those around.

As far as Mega Swapmert goes, I'm planing on building a Rain Team around it/with it as the boss.
I already determined the following Pokemon for it:
Politoed
Kingdra
Vaporeon
Ludicolo
Swampert - > Mega Swampert
Still trying to decide on that last one though......I'm leaning towards a Rain Dish wall Blastiose for added Support. Unless there is good Dual Screener or Entery Hazzard maker for this team.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Game Freak are showing yet again that they're all about Double battles now, and even blatantly defensive Pokémon like Swampert are getting offensively inclined Megas.
Gamefreak/Nintendo have been focused on double battles for a long time now. And I wouldn't say Swampert is blatantly defensive (Attack is its highest stat), but rather a jack of all trades Pokemon.

The new Megas also really fear Mamoswine, which destroys Sceptile with Ice Shard, Swampert with Freeze Dry and Diancie with Earthquake, so if nothing else changes there'll be a lot more of those around.
Mamoswine doesn't want to be taking a Superpower or Waterfall (especially in rain) from Swampert, though.

Will Sceptile even be able to learn Draco Meteor? It's only Dragon-type after Mega evolving, so I unless the tutor says "How about that megastone eh?" I doubt it'll get it. Mega Ampharos can't use Draco Meteor.
No, neither Ampharos or Charizard-X do, so Sceptile won't either (outside of an event).

Last edited:
So this whole "De-Evolution" thing is interesting... Sure it's a fancy word for Mega, but I see some potential.
It's almost like... A primal form?
(Totally calling Primal Dialga event. I'm calling it now)
Also, am I the only guy who likes Mays new design? It kinda suits a more tropical region like Hoenn
What do you mean Brendan has brown hair WTF I thought it was white

primal dialga is almost a given. It's not like it wasn't in a PMD game or anything~

I just hope it doesn't wound up being a major plot element FOR EVERY BOX ART LEGENDARY.

That would get really stale

So this whole "De-Evolution" thing is interesting... Sure it's a fancy word for Mega, but I see some potential.
It's almost like... A primal form?
(Totally calling Primal Dialga event. I'm calling it now)
Also, am I the only guy who likes Mays new design? It kinda suits a more tropical region like Hoenn
What do you mean Brendan has brown hair WTF I thought it was white
His hair used to be black not white or brown, but they changed it here.
primal dialga is almost a given. It's not like it wasn't in a PMD game or anything~

I just hope it doesn't wound up being a major plot element FOR EVERY BOX ART LEGENDARY.

That would get really stale
what

It seems useless, but its not. Now it finally has a way to boost its SpA, and at the same time, give it an immunity to Thunder Wave.

And Contrary Draco Meteor/Leaf Storm would be broken as fuck on Sceptile.
Not broken when it gets OHKO'd by anything remotely fast. Immunity to T-Wave and Volt Switch is pretty useful though. Still wish that it had a better SpA move pool. It's physical move pool is so much better :(

Gamefreak/Nintendo have been focused on double battles for a long time now. And I wouldn't say Swampert is blatantly defensive (Attack is its highest stat), but rather a jack of all trades Pokemon.

Mamoswine doesn't want to be taking a Superpower from Swampert, though.
Yeah I know, it sucks though, the vast majority of players would prefer a balanced approach to singles/doubles so it'll always bother me.

Mamoswine can't switch into any of them but it can beat any of them 1v1, so it's good news for it overall

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
chlorophyll deactivates when venusaur mega evolves, so swift swim SHOULD activate
I'm pretty sure speed changes don't apply the turn you Mega Evolve. I actually outsped a Greninja once the turn I Mega Evolved my Chlorophyll Venusaur, so Swift Swim probably won't activate the turn you Mega Evolve Swampert.

i JUST got first turned Heat waved by a Charizard-Y in the think fast competition earlier today after Mega evolving my Venusaur on that same turn to HP rock it, thinking I would hit the HP rock first.

Yes Chlorophyll Deactivates

I haven't seen it mentioned (probably because no on cares about Diancie) but now that Diancie has a mega evolution it has opened the doors for other gen 6 pokemon to have mega evolutions.

Trollfreak will now give us mega Talonflame.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
DIANCIE!

So Mega Diancie's ability is a mystery but oh lord do I want it to be Levitate or Solid Rock. Either way, Diancie could lead the charge for more Gen 6 Mega Pokemon.

Also Prehistoric Devolution. Interesting concept and I hope we see more of it. Genesect seems like a perfect candidate for that.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i JUST got first turned Heat waved by a Charizard-Y in the think fast competition earlier today after Mega evolving my Venusaur on that same turn to HP rock it, thinking I would hit the HP rock first.

Yes Chlorophyll Deactivates
Move order is calculated before the Mega Evolution. Maybe you didn't have Chlorophyll or weren't under the sun before you tried to attack.

Wow. I am more than impressed. I love the redesigns for the starters' Mega Evolutions, and I am very excited that Diancie may actually turn out to be more viable than previously expected (and I'm theorizing/hoping it gets a flat +50 to both Special Attack and Speed... and fucking Power Gem somehow PLEASE). If stats are distributed correctly, I can imagine that both Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert could make it into OU.

And what's all this talk about Sceptile having a shallow special movepool? Leaf Storm, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Dragon Pulse (now with STAB!), Focus Blast, and Hidden Power are all it needs. Sure, it'll be somewhat predictable, but is there really any other move it could ask for, besides Aura Sphere or Earth Power or something? Even then, it can always go mixed, depending on the distribution of stats, with access to things like Drain Punch, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Thunderpunch, Low Kick, Dragon Claw, Outrage, and Crunch. But, again, its special movepool has all it needs. Aegislash is the main threat that walls the combination of Dragon Pulse, Leaf Storm, and Focus Blast, but Sceptile is more than capable of running Earthquake or Hidden Power Fire over Focus Blast, with Earthquake only being walled by Togekiss, Whimsicott, Shedinja, and Skarmory and Hidden Power Fire being walled by Heatran only (and if you take a look at all threats that resist Grass/Dragon coverage, they're ALL weak to Hidden Power Fire).

Meanwhile, with the ability to destroy every weather inducer besides Abomasnow who is largely irrelevant, Mega Swampert can effectively run Rain Dance with Earthquake, Waterfall/Aqua Tail (depending on if certain KOs are met or not after the expected stat increase), and Stone Edge/Ice Punch, with Stone Edge as a better option against Mega Charizard Y. But even then...

252+ Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 156-186 (52.3 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's without any stat increase to Attack at all, or you could simply just re-cast Rain Dance, outspeed it, and OHKO. Really, Swampert's only issue is its lack of recovery once its stats are increased, but I have a strong feeling that Swampert will turn into a Swift Swim sweeper with high defense and a good typing that disallows priority from threatening it much, unlike Kabutops who only resists Brave Bird/Aerilate Quick Attack and ExtremeSpeed. Swampert also has the benefit of actually having good base HP as opposed to most other Mega Evolutions, making any defensive stat increases a lot more useful. But again, we'll see how that turns out once we know what their new stats are.

I'm also really hopeful now that Steven will be the region's champion because Wallace is an easy mode fruitcake while Steven's Cradily used to wall me to hell and back.

Crossing my fingers that character customization stays a feature for these remakes.

And this may be a stupid question, but what moves are Kyogre and Groundon using in the screenshots by their images?
(Bolded to bring attention to the only thing I'm looking for a response from in this post.)

P.S. This is baseless speculation, but I'm hoping for Ground/Fire and Water/Ice Prehistoric (or whatever) Groudon and Kyogre. They better not let me down!

Last edited:
Move order is calculated before the Mega Evolution. Maybe you didn't have Chlorophyll or weren't under the sun before you tried to attack.

yes it has chlorophyll, and I'm positive that Char-Y was mega evolved and sun was out first

maybe it was switched back in while it had sun out after the first time it MEvo'd and it went away. All I know is I got robbed of a 3-0 because I thought I had the first move

I've always outsped all Char-Ys I've faced with my Venusaur when M-evolving, so no, as already stated, the turn order is set before doing anything that turn. Maybe you had Sticky Web on your field or somehting?

To get on topic... OMG, I'm so excited right now. Can't wait to see what happens with those Primal/Prehistoric Groudon and Kyogre. And maybe Rayquaza, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)