The Everything NHL Thread

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really want to see the Rangers win this one. Not only are they my second favorite team (go Bruins!) but they are also the underdog.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pretty sure the mighty psyducks one is the original work of makiri
Can't find it right now cause I'm on my phone, but I'm calling plagiarism.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion

Original image somewhere on another computer, but yeah we've had that design made for us by a friend back in 2010. The one in the link is slightly different, but who can own the idea of a Mighty Psyduck? Just goes well together.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Original image somewhere on another computer, but yeah we've had that design made for us by a friend back in 2010. The one in the link is slightly different, but who can own the idea of a Mighty Psyduck? Just goes well together.
Thanks for clearing that up. If memory serves me correctly this time, you designed the smogon skull-and-crossbones for the shirts. And yeah, good point overall.

Back on topic, how about them Kings? I wasn't able to watch games 2 and 3 as I was out of town but it looks like a pretty rough series with all the OTs. I see a lot of talk in this thread and on facebook with people saying that the east has had no chance against the west this season when comparing size and speed... it sure seemed like that in the beginning of the season. One more win and my team will have obtained more Stanley Cups than Anaheim which will sure piss off my friends who are Ducks fans. Looking forward to it.

For NYR to even win this series they need to do what the Kings did in R1 and become just the fourth team to win a series from a 3 game deficit. My fiance told me that she might be willing to drive to LAX if the Kings beat the Rangers tomorrow to welcome them home. Should be a blast if she could muster up the will and energy to go out (if it even happens).

e: ah yes, i knew something was a 4th lol.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For NYR to even win this series they need to do what the Kings did in R1 and become just the fourth team to win a series from a 3 game deficit. My fiance told me that she might be willing to drive to LAX if the Kings beat the Rangers tomorrow to welcome them home. Should be a blast if she could muster up the will and energy to go out (if it even happens).
5th

'42 Leafs
Some Flyers team iirc
Some team twoish years ago (sharks?)
Kings this year

Would be the second team to do so in the finals ('42 Leafs having done so)

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It'd be nice for NY to come back but you just can't beat a good team when they are getting as lucky as LA is. rip.

Ok maybe not game 4, but they've definitely been having more puck luck overall. Plus their one goal was a lucky break(no pun intended), so not like they had nothing.
They have gotten luck. Coming back from 3-0, winning 3 Game 7s, and winning 3 straight OT games. But they spend so little time in their own zone that theyre going to get those lucky breaks more often than the other team.

They have gotten luck. Coming back from 3-0, winning 3 Game 7s, and winning 3 straight OT games. But they spend so little time in their own zone that theyre going to get those lucky breaks more often than the other team.
Ehhhh...wouldn't say the comeback and game 7 wins were luck, and i'm a Ranger fan so you know where my bias lies. San Jose always sucks come playoffs, so the fact that they choked isn't too extreme. LA outscored their opponents something like 16-7 in those game 7s. But yeah game 7 WCF was lucky and game 2 SCF the 2OT win should've been a regulation loss but hey, not like King interfered with Hank or anything.....

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Kind of surprised that Williams won the Conn Smythe but other than that, very predictable series. Grats Kings fans.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You could have made an argument for Williams, Carter, Kopitar, or Gaborik. Hell, you could have made on for Lundqvist. There was no wrong choice.

What a fucking game.

Damn. I'd say rangers were close, but that'd be a bit of a lie :( Still, I hope people don't look at this series as just another 4-1 beating given LA. 4 one goal games, 3 overtimes, 2 Double OTs....great series for all the neutral or LA fans. Not so much for us Rags fans but other than them losing, it was a good 5 games of hockey. What does everyone think? Does 4-1 really tell you how close the series was? I'd argue no.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
But in all honesty, I never once felt the Rangers had a chance in this series, OT or not. The Kings were dominant and clearly the better team.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I think this is one of the few years in recent memory where the runner-up really isn't going to be looked at as a cup contender the following year. St. Louis is probably done, Richards has shown that he can't keep up; in all honesty, if it wasn't for Lundqvist standing on his head, Mcdonagh and Girardi playing well and some decent output from some lesser guys on the Rangers, I would be surprised if they made it past the first round. All in all the Rangers got some lucky bounces and were underestimated by the Pens, they were basically the least smelly turd out of their shitty conference.

The rangers had some great puck luck but this series was definitely not a blowout, if Richards and Nash might have showed up a bit more it probably would have came down to the wire.
Lol if our big name guys actually showed up at all, let alone a bit more. If they showed up at any point outside of philly, we might still be watching hockey. I think richards only goal after that was in the PIT series. And don't get me started on Nash....3 goals in 25 games, 2 of which were garbarge goals. What do you expect for $6.7 million and $8 million? Being clutch? Scoring goals when you need to? Lol I guess my expectations were too high, silly me. I wouldn't be surprised if Richie is amnestied after how he disappeared.
I think this is one of the few years in recent memory where the runner-up really isn't going to be looked at as a cup contender the following year..
Granted there's personal bias from me but I'll try to breakdown your points.

St. Louis is probably done, Richards has shown that he can't keep up; in all honesty, if it wasn't for Lundqvist standing on his head.
Agree with you on richie, but not on St. Louis. Guy had 61 points/62 games before the trade, finished with 69/81, which is still a respectable total. Granted he could be another star whose skills die when they come to NY(Drury, Gomez, Richards, Redden, Nash?), he at least showed up in the playoffs. Plus Hank gets payed to stand on his head and steal games. That's what great goalies do. Besides, his competition wasn't exactly "elite level" (Emery/Mason, Fleury, Tokarski)
Mcdonagh and Girardi playing well and some decent output from some lesser guys on the Rangers, I would be surprised if they made it past the first round. All in all the Rangers got some lucky bounces and were underestimated by the Pens, they were basically the least smelly turd out of their shitty conference.
Girardi and Mac are a pretty capable top 2, so they should play well. Plus Girardi's turnover in game 1 cost that game and his corsi and fenwick #'s were ass. Output from lesser guys is something teams need to win championships. That's just depth. Kings had more of it. That and hank are why they got to the got to the finals. Wouldn't say other teams didn't get bounces so that's just puck luck. Pens getting knocked out by a lower seeded team and surrendering a 3-1 lead are nothing new. They seem complacent with their division championship banners. And i'd say the bruins didn't smell at all, they just lost to the olympic divi...i mean canadiens

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
Kind of surprised that Williams won the Conn Smythe but other than that, very predictable series. Grats Kings fans.
Top scorer in the entire playoffs could have something to do with that. I was almost expecting Lundy to get it, but as a Kings fan and Williams jersey owner, I'm happy with the outcome!

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In slow days in hockey...

1.) Penguins spurned by first head coach choice and screwed cause the best guy left is the guy they let go
2.) habs resign markov for THREE years (damn)...not sure what this means in regards to P.K. Subban and his restricted free agency
3.) hartnell traded to cbj for umberger and draft pick...no comment
4.) still no news on kesler / spezza / thornton trade locations (minus the no trade teams thornton and spezza submitted), kind of a big deal because good offensive centers changing teams always significantly changes team dynamics

thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)